FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » DC area Hatrackers! August 19-20 - Come help plan! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: DC area Hatrackers! August 19-20 - Come help plan!
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I vote Spy Museum.
*googles* Oooh, neat!

quote:
I'm willing to eat anywhere, I guess. Kosher deli's are a bit of a tease for me, since so much of my favorite deli meat is pig-based, but I can deal. [Smile]
None of these restaurants serve solely deli. I believe both have menus on their sites, which I linked above.

You could always have a salad. [Wink]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm up for anything and any time on the 20th. I'm kinda silent on the thread because I'm incredibly busy this month and can hardly think past July 15th at the moment.

Count me in for anything, though. (Chris too)

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh Spy Museum is a good idea. Also I'm dying to see the Andy Warhol exhibit at the Corcoran Gallery...assuming it's still there.
Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

- posted      Profile for CalvinMaker   Email CalvinMaker         Edit/Delete Post 
August 20th will probably work for me.
Posts: 1934 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*bounces*

[Big Grin]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
Spy Museum would be awesome. It's really sad that I've never actually been. Oh man, I'm so excited for this. This is my first Hatrack encounter (so be gentle [Wink] )
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

We're gonna get to make you real?

Bonus!

Evie3217
Member # 5426

I know. Right now I just feel so... insubstantial. [Razz]
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
We're gonna get to make you real?
Me, too. [Smile]
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*blinks* Oh! I didn't realize.

And Eve too, neh?

Dagonee
Member # 5818

Yep. [Smile]

I've had some pretty bad luck with respect to planned meetings with jatraqueros. Here's hoping this one will turn out better.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Gotcha. You suffer from real-life-itis. [Wink]

I almost flaked out on this -- I just found out last night that my brother's wedding (in Israel) will be September 3. But the tickets are already paid for, and I am going! [Big Grin]

[ June 23, 2006, 07:50 PM: Message edited by: rivka ]

ladyday
Member # 1069

- posted      Profile for ladyday   Email ladyday         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm game for the 20th and second the vote for Dupont as a meeting place (you mean the Dupont Circle metro stop, right?)

I like everything, spy museum sounds good to me. Kosher deli ought to work too.

It's pretty easy to hop on the metro an' get around, it can just involve a lot of walking too. Comfortable shoes are the win.

Posts: 1676 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

I'd totally be in for Dupont. That area is beautiful.

I can't tell you how excited I am for this. I finally get to meet you all! Yay!

ambyr
Member # 7616

- posted      Profile for ambyr           Edit/Delete Post 
In case anyone's interest, there's a free showing of Princess Bride that night. . .

http://dc.about.com/od/specialevents/a/StrathFilmFest.htm

Posts: 650 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
I find myself wishing I could go-- the shady grove metro station is a short commuter bus ride from here.

Instead I'll be spending that day unpacking all my stuff into my new dorm room.

(take lots of pictures, though!)

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Somehow I got torn away from replying to this thread the first time it was up. I've been wanting to meet Dagonee ever since I moved out here.

Rivka, did you pick an Airport? Because we are very close to BWI and I could offer you shelter as you were hinting about earlier. Depending on your travel schedule, I could offer it regardless, but it sounded like you were being leaned toward Dulles anyway.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dagonee:
Yep. [Smile]

I've had some pretty bad luck with respect to planned meetings with jatraqueros. Here's hoping this one will turn out better.

HEY!

[Wink]

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Yours is the only one that's actually happened. The last time someone actually died.

It's something I've been pretty leery about.

P.S., Jim-Me, are you real?

[ June 30, 2006, 11:15 PM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, wow. sorry for joking about that then, but I thought it was funny that you posted that the day after my visit.... and yes, I am "real".
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Oh, it was definitely funny. No worries there. [Smile]

And I didn't mean anything personal by it - I was referring to all the ones that have been canceled last minute.

And I'm now half-real, then.

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by pooka:
Rivka, did you pick an Airport? Because we are very close to BWI and I could offer you shelter as you were hinting about earlier. Depending on your travel schedule, I could offer it regardless, but it sounded like you were being leaned toward Dulles anyway.

I'm going to be coming into Dulles. Actually, the person who will most need a place to stay is Diana (who has posted on Hatrack, but not for months and months). She's driving from North Carolina on Saturday, and will need a place to stay Saturday night.

She is SUPPOSED to post in this thread and ask . . . *glare* . . . but she hasn't gotten around to that yet. [Wink]

[edit: OOPS! this is rivka!]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ambyr:
In case anyone's interest, there's a free showing of Princess Bride that night. . .

http://dc.about.com/od/specialevents/a/StrathFilmFest.htm

That looks cool. If it works with whatever else we're doing, we should totally do that.

Thanks, ambyr! [Smile]

[this is still rivka]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
The showing looks great. Dupont Circle is a fun area. If you like to shop, I love Feline's Basement that's around there.

Someone told me that the best way to do Mount Vernon is by candlelight.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

I just realized that August 20th is a Sunday. Now I have to completely re-think my schedule. Have we decided on a specific time for meeting yet?
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Yes, it is a Sunday. Saturdays don't work real well for this sort of thing for me.

I don't think we have. Someone should do that. [Wink]

KarlEd
Member # 571

The earlier the better for me. I'll have a 2 hour drive back and work the next day.

On the other hand, I'm planning to be in DC all day on Saturday (8/19) so if anyone is bored that day Chris and I could hook up with you. [Smile]

katharina
Member # 827

Wait - what? I thought the 20th was a Saturday...

Karl, that sounds great. I thought the 20th was a Saturday, so I'd like to see everyone as much as I can. I can still play on Sunday, but I'll be gone for part of it.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:
Originally posted by katharina:
. . . August 19 . . .

Or, you know, the 20th.
*amused*
KarlEd
Member # 571

See, that "sounds" like you were correcting her, rather than suggesting the following day. [Wink] (Of course, it's not like I don't have a calendar I have to look at 50+ times a day.)
rivka
Member # 4859

Huh. Not to my "ear." [Dont Know]

I'm so used to people knowing that Saturdays are problematic for me that I didn't specify. Oops!

Risuena
Member # 2924

- posted      Profile for Risuena   Email Risuena         Edit/Delete Post 
I totally understood that the 20th was a Sunday, which is not a problem for me at all.
Posts: 959 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*bump* for Diana

And because it's getting closer, and I'd like some idea of schedule and locale so I can book a hotel.

katharina
Member # 827

Great. [Smile]

It is getting closer. Now, who is coming, and what do y'all want to do?

This is who I have who is coming so far
Kasie
KarlEd & Chris
Rivka
Risuena
katharina
Dagonee and Eve
Billie (ladyday)
Sharpie
Evie3217
Fishtail
Noah (CalvinMaker)
pooka

Is that right? Have I missed anyone? Inadvertantly included anyone?

Okay, now, what do y'all want to do?

Spy Museum

I think we need to discuss activities. [Smile] I'm still new here - I'm not sure of what to do beside the standard. Kasie and I ate at the Museum of the American Indian for lunch one day, which has great native american food. It was also kind of pricey, which should be considered. What else do y'all have in mind?

KarlEd
Member # 571

I'm up for anything. Chris and I are hooking up with friends on Friday and staying with them in Bethesda. We'll be available on Saturday and Sunday until late afternoon/early evening.

We definitely want to meet everyone, but please don't tailor Sunday around us. We'll just hook up with you and cut out when we have to.

Did anyone want to hook up for lunch or dinner on Saturday? Or so something that afternoon?

rivka
Member # 4859

Diana should be on that list, but don't put 'er there till she posts in this thread. *glares*

[Wink]

rivka
Member # 4859

And I'll remind y'all that there aren't that many places in town I can eat; I linked to a list somewhere in this thread. Didn't I?

Yeah, in a few posts near the bottom of the first page.

kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
You can put me down very very tentatively.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Yay!

Karl and Dag, I was wondering. Do one of y'all want to sort of be in charge of the planning? I feel like I don't really know the area, so I can't reccomend things.

Also...not to be put in a bid for sympathy, but it makes me sad to plan an event right now. [Frown] I definitely want to come, but it's kind of different for me than I had thought it was going to be, and it's sort of bumming me out. I don't want to do a disservice to people who are coming, and I'm afraid that since it's making me sad I won't want to devote as much attention as I should. Does that make sense? Is that okay?

rivka
Member # 4859

*hug* It makes a lot of sense.

Maybe now that Dags and Eve are done with the bar . . . I mean, I'm sure it's not like they're busy or anything. [Wink]

And Becky, cool! [Smile]

fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually might be able to go to this, if its feasible to combine it with a visit to George Mason University to talk to their economics and public policy program people. I'll check with them to see if there's a date around then I could schedule a visit. Uh, anyone in the area have a place for a poor college student to crash for a couple days?
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

pooka was indicating that she might have space up-thread. (Although I think Diana is counting on staying there Saturday night. If she ever posts in this thread!!!)

And yay! [Smile]

ladyday
Member # 1069

I'm game for something on Saturday. I live in Columbia so something closer to where you guys are staying is fine with me too. Or downtown is cool if guys want.
Posts: 1676 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

- posted      Profile for SoaPiNuReYe           Edit/Delete Post 
I would go if I could, but I can't. [Frown]
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sharpie
Member # 482

- posted      Profile for Sharpie   Email Sharpie         Edit/Delete Post 
John Van Pelt might be able to make it, too. We'd both be only around for the Saturday, as it turns out.

I definitely will make it then [Smile] .

Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

(((Katie)))
I'm sorry planning this is making you sad. I think I can understand why, though.

That said, I feel woefully inadequate to plan this one. I'm two hours away and I my Sunday plans are still pretty sketchy. I do know parts of Dupont Circle, but the parts I know best are all gay clubs, bars and restaurants. (And the gay bookstore).

Maybe we can brainstorm this over the next couple of weeks and let it sort of "self-plan". Maybe if everyone posts to answer the following questions:

1. Do you want to hook up on Saturday, Sunday, or both? (Sunday is definite since rivka is coming that day. If there are people who can't make it Sunday, though, I'll be in the area Saturday, too.)

2. What time do you want to meet up? (Please give the best time for you on the day(s) you want to get together).

3. What do you want to do?

4. Where do you want to meet? (I know Dupont Circle has been mentioned, but that could be changed depending on what we are going to do. I imagine it won't be easy to move a large group across the city what with parking being the pain that it is.) On that note, maybe you should include whether you are driving, walking, or taking the metro.

As for me:

1. Chris and I will be in Bethesda Friday and staying with a friend that night. We'll probably do brunch with him on Saturday morning. After that we're free on Saturday. Sunday we can meet up with folks, but we have to leave around 5 or 6 so we can get home.

2. We can meet up probably around noon on Saturday and any time on Sunday.

3. We're game for anything. There is nothing we have to do, but also nothing we won't do. [Wink] We're good for museums, food, parks, zoo, shopping, etc. My primary desire is to meet you guys and get to know you a little better.

4. We'll be driving, so we can meet anywhere.

So, let's everyone give some input.

ladyday
Member # 1069

I can do Saturday and Sunday. Noonish on Saturday works for me. For Sunday I could be there as early as 10 AM.

The spy museum sounds fun to me for Sunday. For Saturday something out of doors would be nice - the arboretum or the zoo would be lovely (I'm leaning toward arboretum myself [Big Grin] ).

As far as food, I have no special needs other than a desire to have some idea of if/where we're eating beforehand. Once we decide what we're doing saturday I can poke around for restuarants and see about getting recommendations. For Sunday I would say let's pick whatever is closest on Rivka's list?

I can drive to some locations (the arboretum seems easy enough to get to, for example) but will take the metro most places downtown. I don't mind walking in the least, though, so at worst it will just take me a little longer to get places [Smile] .

rivka
Member # 4859

1. I can only do Sunday, but I want to hear stories from Saturday. [Smile]

2. Anytime after 11 or so should work, I think.

3. Surprise me! [Big Grin] All the suggestions that have been made so far were great.

4. I dunno. Somewhere I can get to easily?

KarlEd
Member # 571

Rivka, do you know where you're staying yet?
Risuena
Member # 2924

- posted      Profile for Risuena   Email Risuena         Edit/Delete Post 
Now that I'm settled back in Maryland... *looks down at all the stuff I still need to haul up the stairs to my room* Ok, make that more or less settled...

For all four of Karl's questions, I'm pretty much up for anything, anywhere, anytime... I can meet anytime either Saturday or Sunday or both and I'll probably drive into DC, so I can meet pretty much anywhere I have a chance of finding parking.

As to things to do, the Spy Museum is fun and I'd love to see the American Indian museum, but I'm willing to do anything. It's also always fun to wander around places like Dupont and Adam's Morgan. I would, however, like to request that we not go to Air & Space - due to an excessive number of pilots and aerospace engineers in my family, that was an all too frequent destination when I was a kid.

Posts: 959 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.