FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » DC area Hatrackers! August 19-20 - Come help plan! (Page 4)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: DC area Hatrackers! August 19-20 - Come help plan!
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Of course! [Smile]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ladyday
Member # 1069

- posted      Profile for ladyday   Email ladyday         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm totally cool with the picnic idea for Sunday and would love to bring something to pitch in - I'll check the metro rules but I was thinking fruits and veggies. If I can't do a cooler, though, I could bring the sandwich rolls? Or plates/napkins?

For Saturday my first choice is Arboretum but I'm mostly wanting to do something outside [Big Grin] .

Posts: 1676 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

DRAT! I forgot to book the hotel on Friday.

Ok, am I better off here or here?

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
rivka, I can't tell where the second one is, but if it's really close to the White House, then it's walking distance from The Mall (IMO). The other one looks like a long walk, especially if we're meeting anywhere near the Smithsonian Castle (as someone suggested above, I think). But I'm sure we can adjust the meeting place to be closer to your hotel. The Mall is pretty long, after all. [Smile]
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

It's here.

But the $99 a night rate seems to only apply if you stay both Saturday and Sunday nights. [Grumble] That one may have just gotten bumped out of consideration.

KarlEd
Member # 571

Anywhere north of The Mall and within a few blocks of it is probably OK, and if we're picnicking I'll be driving so it would be no problem to give you a ride if you need one. (That said, the "other" one you linked above would work.)
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Another possibility.
I like this one, although it has no wireless web access.

Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooooh, I *love* Jurys.

It's literally *right* on Dupont Circle - steps from the Red line metro and in a beautiful part of town. But it's far from the Mall - probably not really walking distance - and you'd have to switch metro lines to get down there.

Still, I love that hotel. Their bar is amazing, I go there all the time.

Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Now, originally we were talking about meeting on Dupont Circle (right?) But now we're talking about meeting on the Mall, so I guess the no-web hotel (alas!) wins.

Does that make sense? (Please keep in mind that I am geographically impaired and get lost in the city I have lived for 25 years.)

KarlEd
Member # 571

Rivka, why don't you just get the hotel that most appeals to you, and we'll work around it. If we're picnicking, I'll be driving, and I'm sure others will too. I have no problem picking you up on the way and dropping you back (bearing in mind that I have to leave around 6 PM). The area between Dupont and The Mall is very safe and while the distance is a bit of a walk, it's not that bad if you're a walker. (This coming from someone who has no problem walking from Central Park to The Village, if that means anything to you.)
KarlEd
Member # 571

That said, Dupont Circle is a nice place to be in the evening, much more so than The Mall. If you will be doing anything after The Mall/picnic, that evening, you'll be better off in Dupont Circle since everything around The Mall closes earlier.
rivka
Member # 4859

*bump* for Diana, and to remind myself that I'm supposed to be looking at these locations on a map
rivka
Member # 4859

Between Kasie's recommendation, and the fact that it's less than half a mile from each of the two kosher restaurants, Jurys wins.

*goes to book*

Diana Bailey
Member # 8313

- posted      Profile for Diana Bailey   Email Diana Bailey         Edit/Delete Post 
wow...this looks more organized than I usually am...ok...Rivka, I could probably share the cost of the hotel room and allow you to get the lower rate if that seems reasonable. It looks like I will leave the Triangle after Mass/sacristan duties are finished on Saturday evening. That means I will arrive in Washington DC around 1:00-2:00am on Sunday. If that won't work, I can probably stay with my husband's cousin who works for the CIA.

I'll have a car for transportation...if that helps. And I have those wonderful "trip-tic" books from AAA to help me get around.

I love food, all food, at any time...well, maybe not Jennie Craig cuisine. I tried my friend's food two weeks ago and decided that I was not cut out to eat nuked food for weeks on end. On the other hand, my friend has lost over 60lbs since January, so it works for her.

I love all the art museums passionately, but I'm game for any entertainment where we can talk and get to know one another.

Rivka, you have to like me again! I wrote-finally!

Posts: 42 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*LAUGH* When did I not like you? I was just mildly annoyed at you. [Kiss] I just booked a hotel for Sunday night . . . but I can tell you lots about hotels in the area! (Although not as much as Kasie, I'm sure.)

Hey, pooka, can she stay with you if she's getting in at middle-of-the-night-thirty? [Wink]

rivka
Member # 4859

Um, do we have a plan? Location we have, I think. Time?

What else do we need?

pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Diana can stay (I had to post-stalk her a bit, but if she's real to you that's good enough for me.) I'll PM you contact info over on Galactic Cactus. I have a kid who said she wanted to be an Arachnochologist for a bit, they might enjoy meeting.

I don't really have input on time. While I could miss church, I don't prefer to miss church, in particular the 2:00 - 4:45 bit (Including travel time). So if we meet for lunch, I might go and come back.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*giggle* Oh, she's exceedingly real to me. I've probably even forgiven her for that D . . . [Wink]
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it too late to jump on the bandwagon? It looks like I'll be going home tomorrow.

Since I live in Adams Morgan (right next to Dupont Circle for non-DC folk), I'm game for anything, anytime.

Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Yay! More cool people! [Smile]
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
I've just arranged with my coworkers for them to do chores on Sunday, so I'm in! I don't really feel like driving twice on sunday, though. Is there anybody I can crash with saturday night? Also, I don't know where anything is, so having someone who does would be helpful.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Diana Bailey
Member # 8313

- posted      Profile for Diana Bailey   Email Diana Bailey         Edit/Delete Post 
Pooka, thank you very much for your kind offer; I accept with gratitude. I am really sick...and still have to work and go to classes. Yuck.

Good news...the Court did not put me in jail for assaulting a client with an automobile. Honestly, the judge has the patience of a thousand men. With the new order, I'm now legally protected when I do supervised visitation and write my report in this matter. The child is terrific; she's five and completely fascinated by black holes...remind you of any child we've read about?

More later...I have to go to class.

Posts: 42 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Diana Bailey:
Good news...the Court did not put me in jail for assaulting a client with an automobile.

Toldja. [Smile]

Feel better!!! [Kiss]

Miro
Member # 1178

This might come too late, but I've been authorized by my parents to offer a couple beds to Hatrackers for the weekend. Send me an email if you need a place to stay.
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I think kwsni was still looking for a place.

*points up a few posts*

That's really nice of your parents. [Smile]

rivka
Member # 4859

Headcount?

Time and location we are meeting?

*tap tap* Is this thing on?

katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] I'm here. I'm coming.

Okay, how about....I can meet on Sunday at eleven o'clock at the earliest, most likely. I think people might want to meet earlier than that. How about a plan to meet at one of the kosher delis for breakfast at nine o'clock for the early birds? Then, a monument or two.

Then, gather on the mall at eleven o'clock to eat and pick a museum?

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

That sounds good to me. I'll probably join in at around 11 at the mall. Where do we want to meet on the mall? It's a really big place. I'd like to suggest meeting on the street side of the sunken sculpture garden in front of the Hirschhorn museum. It's pretty easy to find and the sculpture garden is a real treat. I don't think we can picnic in the garden itself, but I'm sure we can somewhere just outside the wall.

Regarding picnicking, is anyone bringing anything besides me? I don't mind doing the supplying, I just don't want there to be tons of stuff left over as it will likely go to waste. (i.e. left in a car with no refrigeration for hours after the picnic.)

katharina
Member # 827

I can bring supplies. What do you want me to bring? [Smile]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

Regarding Saturday, let's say noon at The National Arboretum. Let's meet at the Admin Building on the parking lot side. There is a lot to see right there (the Herb Garden, The Bonsai garden, etc.). We can decide what to do after that when we see who all is there. (On that note, PLEASE POST HERE if you are coming on Saturday so we'll know who to look out for.)
katharina
Member # 827

Great. I will definitely be there on Saturday.
KarlEd
Member # 571

quote:
Originally posted by katharina:
I can bring supplies. What do you want me to bring? [Smile]

Can you bring paper plates, napkins, plasticware, etc? (You should bring fresh, unopened packages, I believe).

A blanket would be good, too if you have one you don't mind putting on the ground. (Seating will be BYO.)

Also, I'd appreciate any input into stuff I should bring. I'm going to the kosher market but for now I'm just planning to play it by ear. Rivka, if there's something you don't like please say it now. [Smile] (I'll do some shopping at a non-kosher place, too, most likely, but I'll keep the two separated.)

katharina
Member # 827

Yes, I would be happy to bring all of that. Plus, a cut-up watermelon.

Hmm...I'm not sure about the blanket. I definitely have one, but they aren't unpacked yet and I don't know which of the 50 boxes it is in. I will try. [Smile]

KarlEd
Member # 571

I'll try to bring a blanket. More than one wouldn't hurt, though.
KarlEd
Member # 571

Rivka, what condiments do you prefer? I'll be sure to get a kosher version of what you like. The rest I'll probably get regular, depending on price.
katharina
Member # 827

[Smile] Okay. *bounce* This will be fun. Matt won't be there - he's in Utah, and I think he has a sense that he might not want to be in a crowd of what he considers to be "katie's friends" right now, but I've had the tour of monuments of few times so I can pass some tour information along.

There's a temperance monunument that is a mini-gazebo with a large statue of two fish intertwined in the center. On the outside, it says "Faith. Hope. Charity. Temperance." It was erected sometime in the early twentieth century, and I think it's hilarious. [Smile]

rivka
Member # 4859

Mayonnaise -- light, please. But I think you'll find that condiments are the easy part -- most national brands of ketchup, mustard, mayo, and pickles are kosher. Oooh, pickles. I like everything but the sweet kind (and pickle relish *shudder*)

As far as what I don't like, I mentioned sushi . . . but I don't like raw fish much. (Yes, I know.) Then again, you may not be planning to get any sushi at all, so that may be moot. As far as cold cuts, I like pretty much every kind I've had. Mild preference for turkey over beef, and not a huge salami fan -- but I'll eat beef salami in small amounts too.

*bounce* This is gonna be fun!

11 o'clock at the Mall, check.

Risuena
Member # 2924

- posted      Profile for Risuena   Email Risuena         Edit/Delete Post 
I won't be making on Saturday, but I'll definitely be there on Sunday. I'll probably be able to bring a blanket or two since we've got all sorts of them around this place and I'll also bring sunscreen for myself and any others who need it because I remember what happened the last time I met Hatrackers on the Mall...

Is there anything else that I could bring?

Posts: 959 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

I'll be there both days. I can also bring stuff - what would be useful?
KarlEd
Member # 571

Things others can bring on Sunday (Chips, Sodas, cups, or anything I forget [Wink] )

Actually, I'm going to bring bread, sandwich fixings, a couple of side dishes - depending on what is available at the Kosher place (potato salad? Cole slaw?) and maybe some cookies or a cake or something. If someone wants to take charge of the cookies/cake/whatever they certainly can. It would be helpful from a logistics standpoint if we all brought our own beverages.

It would be nice to get a head count so I know how much sandwich stuff to buy. Anything perishable that isn't eaten will be wasted since we'll have nowhere to store it.

Katie, I emailed you my cellphone number through the blind forwarding thingy in your profile. Let me know if you don't get it.

rivka
Member # 4859

I would lay odds on the kosher deli having potato salad, coleslaw, and several other side dishes (at a guess, a pasta salad or two, Israeli salad, a bean salad of some sort, and probably both noodle and potato kugel).
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
Miro, I would love to stay with you on Saturday night. I'll email you my cell number (Hopefully it will work up there, it doesn't, downhere in the boondocks.)I'll see if I can get out of chores on Saturday morning(or do them really early), so I can go to arburetum, too.

I could probly bring pasta salad or something.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ladyday
Member # 1069

- posted      Profile for ladyday   Email ladyday         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be there Saturday at noon and will show up at 11 on Sunday [Big Grin] . I can take the sweets (how do oatmeal cookies sound?) an' will bring a big bag of baby carrots.

Oh! Should I bring lettuce/tomato for the sandwiches? Or do we need that stuff? I like lettuce so I would bring that regardless but I don't so much like tomatoes so I'll only bring 'em if people want them.

Posts: 1676 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Eve and I are planning to attend both the arboretum and the picnic.

The last word I've seen on the arboretum is this:

quote:
Regarding Saturday, let's say noon at The National Arboretum. Let's meet at the Admin Building on the parking lot side.
As for looking out for us, pictures of Eve and I look like this.

WRT the picnic, the last word I've seen is this:

quote:
I'll probably join in at around 11 at the mall. Where do we want to meet on the mall? It's a really big place. I'd like to suggest meeting on the street side of the sunken sculpture garden in front of the Hirschhorn museum.
We will bring a Mediterranean appetizer spread (hummus, tabouleh, and/or tapenade plus pitas) if anyone is interested. Either that or my famous cheese ball and tuna pate (two dishes, not just one).

Express preferences if you have them. [Smile]

Rivka, I doubt the second would be acceptable for you (both are prepared, and my mixer has definitely had both meat and dairy in it at some point), but I'll only make at most two of the three if I do the Mediterranean thing, so I'll look for kosher certification on what I buy.

Edit: Does anyone know which metro stops work best for each location?

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

The Arboretum is not particularly close to a Metro stop, but I got this from the Arboretum website:
quote:
On weekends and holidays except December 25, enjoy direct shuttle service from Union Station by hopping on the X6 metrobus. The bus operates every 40 minutes. Click here to see the schedule.

From the Hirschhorn website:
quote:
NEAREST METRO STOP
L'Enfant Plaza (Blue, Orange, Yellow, and Green lines). Use the Smithsonian Museums exit to Maryland Avenue and Seventh Street SW.

Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
I will definitely be there for both Saturday and Sunday. It's going to be interesting to find my way to both places though, as I have no idea how to get around the city. If anyone feels like picking me up at American University *wink wink* I would really appreciate it. I'll post a picture of myself a little later.
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Darn. If Dags and Eve are going to be that dressy I need to completely rethink my outfit.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

[Laugh]

Edit: we'll probably look more like this.

Oh, and thanks, Miro!

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

That is SUCH a cool photo, Dag. I love it. (Doesn't really help much in recognizing you in a crowd, though. [Wink] )
Dagonee
Member # 5818

How many people do you think will be walking around with an underwater disposable camera in front of their face?
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.