FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » DC area Hatrackers! August 19-20 - Come help plan! (Page 5)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: DC area Hatrackers! August 19-20 - Come help plan!
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it is an election year. [Wink]
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
LOL
Saturday doesn't look good for me, but I may be up for the earlier meeting Sunday. I guess the cookies haven't been called yet. I guess we'll want pareve prepackaged ones since we are having cold cuts. I may bring something homemade for the gentiles, but we'll see. Two batches of cookies, in any case.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
*giggle* I reap the benefits of your former workplace, pooka? I am impressed by your effortless use of words like parve. [Wink]

I hope Diana and I won't be considered terribly rude for meeting up separately before the 11 o'clock time. I love y'all, but I've known her for almost 20 years, and I haven't seen her in person for about 3 or 4 (I think that's right).

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

quote:
I hope Diana and I won't be considered terribly rude for meeting up separately before the 11 o'clock time.
Of course not. What, like you're supposed to remain in your hermetically sealed package until the picnic? [Big Grin]
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Well, but some other people are meeting up early. And we're going to be anti-social and not join 'em. [Dont Know]

Hmm. Hermetically sealed. Think I'd get through security any faster?

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Do we have a list?

Saturday
KarlEd
Chris
katharina
ladyday
Evie
Miro
kwsni
Sharpie
JVP

Sunday
All of the above, plus:
pooka
rivka
Diana
Risuena
Dag
Eve

Is this right?

[ August 18, 2006, 04:46 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sharpie
Member # 482

- posted      Profile for Sharpie   Email Sharpie         Edit/Delete Post 
Saturday looking about 95 percent probable for me and JVP.

I'm still groggy (yes, I know it's past noon), so am having trouble sorting through what would be good for us to bring for the picnic. But we will bring something.

Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ladyday
Member # 1069

- posted      Profile for ladyday   Email ladyday         Edit/Delete Post 
k Pooka has the sweets then...I'll do veggies *nods*.

Edit - any preferences for lunch on Saturday? I can start looking things up, unless we're meant to be eating before we get there [Smile] .

Posts: 1676 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sharpie
Member # 482

- posted      Profile for Sharpie   Email Sharpie         Edit/Delete Post 
Er, see, I was groggy. THe picnic part is on Sunday.

So we plan to be there on SATURDAY. We won't bring any picnic stuff [Big Grin] .

Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Rivka, if you're eating meat at the picnic, does that mean you won't eat any cheese at the picnic? Or do they just have to be kept secret?

Because I can bring some sealed kosher cheese spread, but I won't bother if you wouldn't eat it anyway. [Smile]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Dagonee:
Rivka, if you're eating meat at the picnic, does that mean you won't eat any cheese at the picnic? Or do they just have to be kept secret?

[Laugh] Ok, that was one of the funnier typos I have seen. [Big Grin]

They cannot be eaten together, and cheese cannot be eaten after meat (not for 3 or 6 hours, depending on which custom your family has). Meat cannot be eaten after hard (i.e., aged) cheese for a minimum of one hour, but after soft cheese one would just have to rinse out their mouth and have a bite of something neutral.

*curious* What kind of cheese spread is this?

KarlEd
Member # 571

quote:
Originally posted by ladyday:
k Pooka has the sweets then...I'll do veggies *nods*.

Edit - any preferences for lunch on Saturday? I can start looking things up, unless we're meant to be eating before we get there [Smile] .

I'm staying at a friend's house for the weekend and we are doing brunch on Saturday, so we will arrive at the Arboretum well fed. That shouldn't stop any of the rest of you from hooking up for lunch if you want. I was thinking that eventually we'd decide on dinner plans for those who are interested in hanging out that long. Hopefully I can talk my friend into tagging along with us for the day. (He knows all the good restaurants within 20 miles of Bethesda. [Wink] )

YAY for Sharpie and JVP! Glad we'll see you on Saturday.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
*curious* What kind of cheese spread is this?
I hadn't picked what kind I'd buy yet. Preferences welcome.

This is the one I'm making.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

[Confused] I thought you were talking about something made commercially.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

I am making one and offering to also buy one that is kosher.
Diana Bailey
Member # 8313

- posted      Profile for Diana Bailey   Email Diana Bailey         Edit/Delete Post 
An hour before another stupid meeting...grrrr

OK, the positive Diana will make an appearance. I just found out that my daughter is leaving for Chicago on Sunday, so I will drive up to Washington DC very early on Sunday morning instead of late Saturday night. Actually, this makes sense on plenty of fronts. I'm an absolute morning person, I don't have to impose on Pooka at some ungodly hour in the morning, and I can have one last dinner with Lorraine before she disappears until Thanksguiving. Rivka, tell me where to meet you on Sunday morning and give me a time. Thanks-I am looking SO forward to meeting y'all!

Posts: 42 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Dagonee:
I am making one and offering to also buy one that is kosher.

Ohhhh.

<- is slow

Please don't bother. Its very sweet, but having cheese and meat at the same meal is more bother than it's worth, for me. But thanks for the offer.

Diana, can you call me after your meeting? I'd call you, but if you're about to have a meeting that seems futile.

Steev
Member # 6805

- posted      Profile for Steev           Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all,

It's me Steev.

Although I don't live in the DC area per say but I do live on the eastern shore of Maryland.
If you all were to do this again sometime in the future would I be allowed to join you?

Posts: 527 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I'm sure you could. Of course, if you come THIS Sunday you get to meet me. [Wink]
Steev
Member # 6805

- posted      Profile for Steev           Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunataly, I can't come this Sunday. If it were all happending next week I could. [Frown]
Posts: 527 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Alas!
pooka
Member # 5003

Okay, I'm glad I checked this before calling Diana. I'm still not clear on if she needs a crashing place Sunday night, but I'll give her a call.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Sunday night she can stay in my hotel room -- it has two beds.

And as soon as she ANSWERS HER PHONE, [Grumble] I will suggest precisely that.

rivka
Member # 4859

There were a few people who indicated earlier that they might come but haven't posted lately: Noah, Chanie, Fishtail, and I'm sure I've missed someone.

Y'all gonna come? *hopeful*

no. 6
Member # 7753

- posted      Profile for no. 6           Edit/Delete Post 
Can I pretend to be someone in the DC area just to monkey-wrench the plans?

Er... I mean...

Yeah, w00t! In D.C.! Count me in!

Posts: 410 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chanie
Member # 9544

- posted      Profile for Chanie   Email Chanie         Edit/Delete Post 
I would have to cut it too close to make it in time for Shabbos.
Posts: 159 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Darn. [Frown]

And Erik, behave yourself. [Wink]

Chanie
Member # 9544

After making it in a taxi 8 minutes before candle-lighting a few weeks ago, I've decided to be a little more careful [Smile] . And to avoid taking Amtrak at all costs!
Posts: 159 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Yikes! I bet.

Too far to drive Sunday morning?

Chanie
Member # 9544

It's about 6 hours from here. I was going to come down for the weekend and stay with some friends. But I had a dentist appointment this morning, and I wasn't sure how long it would take.
rivka
Member # 4859

*nod* Oh, well. Have a good Shabbos!
Chanie
Member # 9544

I do hope to meet you (and many other people on here) sometime in the near future. It was just too difficult to tell my parents, "Hey, I know I just got back from Indiana. But I'm gonna go spend Shabbos in D.C."

And the upside is that my mom is cooking up a storm!

KarlEd
Member # 571

Well, I'm off to DC/Bethesda now. I don't know what access I'll have to a PC until Monday so I hope to see everyone there on Saturday and Sunday.

Kat, JVP, and Sharpie all have my cell phone number if anyone needs to get in touch. Otherwise I'll be looking out for you.

[Smile]

rivka
Member # 4859

If I had been intelligent, I would've emailed Karl my cell number before he left, just in case. Oops.

Chanie, I'd love to meet you too. But I don't expect to back in the D.C. area anytime soon. Hey, the last time I was there I was 6! [Big Grin]

Chanie
Member # 9544

I have a ton of family in Encino. Is that near you?
rivka
Member # 4859

Pretty close -- 30-60 minutes, depending on time of day.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

OK, I was once again wildly optimistic in my planning. We can only make one of the events this weekend, and we're choosing the picnic since more people will be there.

Eve and I will not be meeting at the arboretum Saturday. Sorry.

katharina
Member # 827

I'm delighted y'all are able to come on Sunday. I have updated the list.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Sadly, I think Sharpie and JVP are only coming Saturday.
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it possible for me to get someone's cell number in case of an emergency? I have no one's from Hatrack, and it would really be useful. You can email it to me or IM me at the same sn.
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

I emailed you mine
rivka
Member # 4859

Diana and I are at the hotel. We have printed out directions for the Hirshhorn, and Diana promises to take the blame if (when?) we get lost.

Katie has my cell phone number, and I have hers. If anyone else wants mine, they have about 5 minutes to post and ask for it.

Beginning . . . NOW! [Wink]

KarlEd
Member # 571

Had a GREAT time with you guys, both Saturday, feeding rabid Koi and eating Ethiopian food, and Sunday at the Kosher picnic and dead animal tour. [Wink]

That was a lot of fun. Hope we can do that again before too long.

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
So who's real now?
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Van Pelt
Member # 5767

- posted      Profile for John Van Pelt   Email John Van Pelt         Edit/Delete Post 
It was so cool to meet you all Saturday -- from arrival (late! sorry!) at the Bonsai exhibit to hugging the Civil War tree. We were sorry to miss Italian linner -- but I see you hopped continents!

The choice of the Arboretum was great -- we are definitely going back. Thanks everyone, for making this happen. We'll post our pictures soon.

-me 'n' Sharpie

Posts: 431 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm real! Yay! I had such a great time and I loved meeting you all. Hopefully we'll be able to do this again soon.
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

Dagonee, if you want to get real, we will be at the Cracker Barrel in Manassas on Wednesday evening. Exact time to be figured out...
KarlEd
Member # 571

Dag's out of luck on the realness thing now. Didn't the group decide yesterday that he's really my "cedrios-esqe" online alter-ego? (See what happens when you stand us up? twice. in the same weekend! [Wink] )

Seriously, though, I hope everything is OK and you didn't miss us due to something serious.

ladyday
Member # 1069

- posted      Profile for ladyday   Email ladyday         Edit/Delete Post 
This was a lovely weekend - I will forever treasure the mudwrestling memories especially.

Dag's watermelon is in the mail, you should get that in 6 to 8 weeks. In all seriousness, though, hope to hear from you soon *concerned*

Posts: 1676 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

That was pretty fun. [Smile] I can't believe we fit all of us in that ring, for a little while anyway. I had to bow out after a strap broke.
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.