FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Glee (Page 2)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Glee
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
No Teri or Tanaka! No Emma [Frown]

I didn't like the stutter girl's thing (sorry I forget her name).

Sue's sister was a nice touch.

Quinn is not getting better, she needs to stop being so annoying.

Overall- good episode, great company to watch it with.

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
Loved the stuff with Kurt and his dad.

Oh my goodness yes. I love how hard dad tries. And I adore that he puts everything in football terms to try to get the singing. He's just so sweet.

Seeing that actor on Yes Dear, I never would have guessed he'd be this good. He's wonderful!

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by breyerchic04:
No Teri or Tanaka! No Emma [Frown]

This made me enjoy the episode even more. I hate the Teri plot line and the Emma/Schuester/Tanaka triangle is getting a bit annoying.

I also really like how they are developing Kurt and his dad's relationship.

Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I like Emma, I don't like Teri or Tanaka. I don't want a love triangle with her, but I like her.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
Tonight's was pretty fun, but mostly it got me curious. Since they're now refusing to support their minor daughter, could Finn's mom sue the Fabres for child support?

I mean, she won't. They've made enough of a deal about how poor and mousy she is. But I'd love to see a showdown where she threatens to if they don't keep Quinn on their insurance and send her a check monthly.

If they weren't so busy making sure the kids know teen pregnancy is bad, they could have fun finding creative solutions to the problem. None of them are easy, but they do still have options.

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aeolusdallas
Member # 11455

- posted      Profile for aeolusdallas   Email aeolusdallas         Edit/Delete Post 
Kids get kicked out of their homes all the time. I am not personally aware of any successful lawsuits over the issue. Someone must have tried at some point.
Posts: 305 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

What do you think of Finn's mom and Kurt's dad? Perfect!
aeolusdallas
Member # 11455

- posted      Profile for aeolusdallas   Email aeolusdallas         Edit/Delete Post 
They were exactly as I pictured them. Quinn's parents were just as horrible as you would expect and I just loved Finns' mom this episode and Finn going through his dads stuff. Kurt's dad is always awesome.
Posts: 305 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

Oh sorry my wording was bad. Them dating, I think they should fall in love.
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that would be a wee bit awkward what with Kurt being in love with Finn and Finn being, you know, straight.
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

Right, that's why I think they'll do it. Probably not until the second season.
Armoth
Member # 4752

- posted      Profile for Armoth   Email Armoth         Edit/Delete Post 
YAAAAAAY. Will knows his wife isn't prego. FINALLY.

Good episode. Good for Will, Good for Quinn.

A bit boring for Finn and the redundancy of the Glee clubs ridiculously unrealistic and exaggerated struggle with being in Glee and being losers. Seriously, if those kids were in any glee club in any HS, they'd be the coolest kids in the school.

Though, musically, nothing really stood out for me this week. Hope that Will finding out about his wife is the domino that will undo all the annoying baby drama.

Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
You can tell he really, really wanted to hit her. I don't think he could be blamed if he had.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
It definitely felt like it was about to turn violent. That said, I would definitely blame him if he hit her. Domestic violence isn't okay no matter how angry you are.
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aeolusdallas
Member # 11455

I so thought he was going to hit her. that was a POWERFUL scene.
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

I thought the episode was very weak. The jump thing was cool but got too long. I'm glad Shue found out Terri isn't pregnant but I don't really like the way he reacted.
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It definitely felt like it was about to turn violent. That said, I would definitely blame him if he hit her. Violence isn't okay no matter how angry you are.
Fixed that for you. (Well, actually I don't necessarily agree with the changed statement, but at the level of violence we're talking about it doesn't make much sense to me to restrict it's restriction to only family units).
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Armoth:
YAAAAAAY. Will knows his wife isn't prego. FINALLY.

Though, musically, nothing really stood out for me this week.

I completely agree with both points here. Will's reaction was pretty awesome, in that he nailed the reaction I wanted him to have. Otherwise, the episode was pretty much average.
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

I think the part that tripped me up a little was that in the office with Sue and Figgins, Shue said he was thinking about leaving his wife. But when he talked to the guidance councilor and she mentioned divorce, he got all defensive. I'm curious to see what he decides, and I think I'm glad they're not planning to have him leave his marriage out of hand.

Granted his wife is a terrible person and he probably shouldn't have married her in the first place, but at least they seem to be treating the subject with some consideration.

MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

quote:
Originally posted by Raymond Arnold:
quote:
It definitely felt like it was about to turn violent. That said, I would definitely blame him if he hit her. Violence isn't okay no matter how angry you are.
Fixed that for you.
No you didn't. I meant what I said and I said what I meant. I don't agree with the changed statement given how broad it is.
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
As I said, I don't really agree with it either. (unfortunately none of the technically correct ways I could have reworded your statement would have had the right quality of snark). But I don't think slapping someone because they did something that made you mad is any better or worse when the person in question is your wife.

[ December 05, 2009, 05:11 PM: Message edited by: Raymond Arnold ]

Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

Violence is a general term, and doesn't have to mean physical violence directed at a person. If someone angers you and you throw something across the room and not in their direction, I would call that a violent act. I don't think it's an inherently wrong expression of that anger.
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

I've already indicated that my original statement was chosen specifically for snark value, and even if it wasn't I think it was pretty clear that I was merely removing the "domestic" modifier as opposed to opening it up to all kinds of metaphorical interpretations of the word 'violence.'

And you haven't really addressed my actual point - is there any reason to focus on violence between members of a family versus violence between any two random people who are having a dispute?

MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

If you were going for snark value, you failed. There was no indication in your original alteration of my opinion that you were trying to be humorous or facetious. Given that it was my opinion, my words, and my point of view that I was expressing, I think my definition of violence is the one that matters. I'm not going to discuss this any further, because I don't see the need to defend myself against your analysis of my opinion.
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

I realize internet sarcasm and humor is easy to fail at, and I guess I did. I was assuming "Fixed that for you" is enough to indicate that there is some level of joking (whether mean spirited or not) going on. More importantly, I assumed my subsequent disclaimer was enough to convey that I wasn't trying to attack you or your opinion and that my tone was supposed to be sarcastic but not offensive. My friends and I mock each other playfully for saying things we didn't quite mean, which is what I thought you did. And in retrospect on the internet I need to be way more careful than that, because it's not obvious at all.

In my first post I simply assumed that you were making an off the cuff statement and only specified domesticate violence because that was what the issue at hand was about, and that if pressed you'd go "Oh, well yeah interpersonal violence is bad in general, but this was a domestic dispute, so [Razz] ." Your response was merely criticize my own vagueness of statement, and I wasn't sure at first whether you were being snarky back or taking me way to seriously or what.

I am genuinely interested in knowing if you actually do see a difference between domestic and "normal interpersonal" violence. I haven't been attacking your opinion so far, merely your use of the english language, because I don't know what your opinion actually is.

MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

My opinion is that domestic violence isn't okay. I haven't made any statements on interpersonal violence in general, nor do I care to, because I consider that a different and much more complicated issue and not even vaguely relevant to this thread as it has gone so far. Your disclaimer read to me as though you were trying to make my opinion into TRUTH, but that you thought there were shortcomings to that statement that needed further clarifications.

quote:
In my first post I simply assumed that you were making an off the cuff statement...
Why? What would make you assume that I hadn't thought about what I was writing and the implications of the statement?

quote:
Your response was merely criticize my own vagueness of statement
I wasn't criticizing your vagueness, I was criticizing your attempt to "correct" my opinion with something that, in fact, is not my opinion. It's like if I was talking to someone about thyroid cancer and I said, "Thyroid cancer is a really bad diagnosis." If you walked up and said, "I think what you really mean to say is that any cancer is a really bad diagnosis," I wouldn't react very well. The risks of cancer vary greatly from one type to the next, and a discussion on that is not inherently relevant to the conversation about a thyroid cancer diagnosis.
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

I didn't think your initial statement was wrong, just overly specific. (But yeah, I guess the cancer analogy is fairly apt.) It may be that I also disagree with your beliefs but I didn't know that at the time. To be honest, this ISN'T something I've dedicated a whole lot of thought to, and I apologize for projecting that attitude at you.

In general I don't take Glee very seriously, and up until now I had been treating this thread the way I would a frivolous conversation with random friends, (and if my friends and I were having a frivolous conversation and somehow Thyroid Cancer came up, I might have made a similar comment depending on the context, not really expecting anyone to take it seriously). Except that suddenly we're talking about domestic violence and it took me a while to make the transition to "okay now we're talking about an actual serious problem as oppose to a silly show that I usually consider a guilty pleasure." And now that I have made that adjustment, I don't think my statement is particularly worth defending.

[ December 06, 2009, 08:41 PM: Message edited by: Raymond Arnold ]

vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"Thyroid cancer is a really bad diagnosis."
Incidentally, my dad just got diagnosed with thyroid cancer. They said it is the "best cancer". I've kinda been avoiding it for denial/fear-of-truth reasons, but it stuck out to me here. Is it best bad or bad bad?
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
Vonk, my mother was diagnosed with thyroid cancer when I was young. I actually didn't even know the truth of what happened until maybe a year or two ago when my dad told me. I remember her being in the hospital off and on and in bed alot, but she made a complete recovery. She'll be on thyroid medicine for the rest of her life and as a result struggles with her weight, but otherwise she's healthy and we expect her to be with us for a very long time.
Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, that reassuring.
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

I guess it depends. My grandmother died of it, and my understanding was that it was pretty much a death sentence. There may be multiple types?
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

Here's something I just found on the internet, so take it with a grain of salt:

quote:
There are several types of thyroid cancer:

* Anaplastic carcinoma (also called giant and spindle cell cancer) is the most dangerous form of thyroid cancer. It is rare, and does not respond to radioiodine therapy. Anaplastic carcinoma spreads quickly and invades nearby structures such as the windpipe (trachea), causing breathing difficulties.
* Follicular carcinoma accounts for about 30% of all cases and is more likely to come back and spread.
* Medullary carcinoma is a cancer of non-thyroid cells that are normally present in the thyroid gland. This form of the thyroid cancer tends to occur in families. It requires different treatment than other types of thyroid cancer.
* Papillary carcinoma is the most common type, and usually affects women of childbearing age. It spreads slowly and is the least dangerous type of thyroid cancer.

AvidReader
Member # 6007

My uncle had a type that even the doctors thought was weird. They originally thought he had a cyst, opened him up and saw that it was cancer that had spread already, closed him back up, and gave him six months to live.

I guess at some point he actually had it out, because after chemo and all the radiation he's ever allowed to have, he's still trucking. I suppose he would have been diagnosed something like 15 or 20 years ago now.

His health isn't great these days. After the last family get-together, he went home and found out he had walking pneumonia. And the shot he needs each month since he has no thyroid is quite expensive. He ended up losing his old job and having to work for the city, but that was probably for the best. They only work 40 hours a week, and as a CPA, he likes to call it his part time gig. [Smile]

So here's hoping your dad's a trooper, whatever the diagnosis.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow.

Insanely awesome episode.

It had a little bit of everything, with some amazing emotional performances, I think some realistic reactions for once (I'm sick of crap always working out in the end; that isn't real life), it was absolutely choke yourself to death hilarious, the songs were great, everything we were waiting to see happen happened, and the music was really good!

Top notch! Can't wait for the second half to see what they have cooked up next!

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theresa51282
Member # 8037

- posted      Profile for theresa51282   Email theresa51282         Edit/Delete Post 
I love Mr. Shuester fighting back tears as Rachel performed. My favorite moment of the season so far and in one of my favorite episodes!
Posts: 416 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Now I'm mad. We have to wait for APRIL for the Joss Whedon episode???

I'm glad they got most of the baby-drama mess out in the open (not yet done, though, since Quinn apparently still thinks Terri and Will are going to take the baby). I'm ecstatic that Sue finally got busted. I don't know how I feel about the Emma/Will mess, though.

And the Rolling Stones was just too predictable. I know that Will was trying to send a clear message to Finn, but come on.

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

I was fine with Rolling Stones. I liked that most of the plot threads got resolved by the half-season ending. I appreciate it when the writers provide some structure show's arcs.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Goody -

From the sound of things, I think Quinn is planning on keeping and raising the baby by herself. She seems to keep going back and forth on that though, hard to say.

A little Christmas Glee might cheer any one up who bemoans the long hiatus

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

Thanks, Lyr. That was just what I needed.

Loved the episode. I don't mind the break so much. I figure with all that singing to learn, they deserve it. I just hope the show's still awesome when they come back.

Now I'm going to listen to Maybe This Time again. Dear Lord, Kristin Chenoworth is amazing!

Armoth
Member # 4752

What MADE this episode for me was the Kelly Clarkson number at the end, specifically because they incorporated all their dances into it. It was so nostalgic, i loved it.

They had "don't even know his last name cowboy" style, the halo and it's my life mashup dances, the song Quinn and the cheerleaders tried out to, the hairiography, it was amazing.

Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
I love this show. Yeah it can be a little snarky at times, but I love the characters and the music.

I really enjoy the writing. Some of my favorite scenes were whe Kurt told his father he was homosexual and played football, when Finn learns Quinn is pregnant and has the flashback of them in the hot tub, and when Sue went to visit her sister.

This really is a show that can have you laughing one minute and tearing up the next. The look of pain on Mr. Schuster's face when he confronted his wife made me tear up.

My favorite quote from the last episode?

Sue: "Just add revenge to the long list of things you are not good at, like being married, teaching a glee club, and finding a hair style that doesn't make you look like a lesbian."

I can't wait until April. I want more Sue!

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Mark Salling wrote a tribute to his friends on Glee. link
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

Wow. I just came out of a law school final from Criminal Law. Our essay, 75 percent of our exam (2hrs and 15 min of it) was on Glee!!!

Generally, law school exams are issue spotting - some crazy fact pattern and you need to identify the legal issues and explain the chances every party has.

Apparently our professor is a Glee fan, because the story was that Will Schuester needed money to fund his Glee club, so he directs Rachel and Finn (separately) to steal TVs and computers from the A/V room. (Conspiracy, aiding and abetting, analysis of Rachel and Finn being held responsible for one another's conspiracy without foreknowledge, etc.)

Rachel needs a cart to carry the items, so she pays a homeless person 100 bucks for his cart, after revealing her intentions to him (possible conspiracy and aiding and abetting).

Finn is on a date with Quinn and takes her with him to the school, telling him her plan. She comes with him to the room, but she never verbally agrees to the plan. Before they enter, he sends her back to the car so that one of them stays out of jail to raise their baby (conspiracy, possible relenting).

Quinn, upset at Sue for kicking her out of the cheerios goes to her office to vandalize it (attempt), she finds here there, and, afraid of getting caught, knocks her unconscious with the hope of making her forget that she saw Quinn. Sue dies later of her wounds. (Possible Murder, Felony Murder, Reckless Murder, Involuntary Manslaughter, Reckless Manslaughter, and Negligent Homicide)(If found for conspiracy - does the liability for the murder carry over to Finn? Rachel? Schue?)

This isn't the whole story...but all I can say, is it made it a whole lot easier to know who everyone was and what their relationships were with everyone else, while my classmates were struggling not to confused Finn and Quinn. Also, it was comforting :-D

Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
Armoth,

Who said TV rots your brain? [Big Grin]

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

Most of what I know of classical music and opera, I learned from Bugs Bunny! [Big Grin]
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Here's a fun game while we're waiting for Glee to come back:

What characters do you want to see sing what songs?

Given their voices, everyone is going to be able to sing certain songs better, and there are a few I'd love to see each of them sing. But the top of my list, as of this moment, is I'd love to see Puck sing "Last Kiss" by Pearl Jam. After hearing his version of "Sweet Caroline" I think he has the perfect voice for it.

dabbler
Member # 6443

- posted      Profile for dabbler   Email dabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
While I enjoy Glee, I actually skim through some of the singing because I'm not a musicals-person. Part of that is that I don't recognize the vast majority of songs they sing.
Posts: 1261 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

You know that I want to see Puck sing anything that involves taking his shirt off, Shue too. I'll have to think about actual songs.
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

Anyone else watching?

I really like that Will and Emma are in a more realistic situation than it seemed like in December. Also, Sue singing Madonna was hilarious and awesome.

katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's this thread!

I liked the return episode, but I just hated the Madonna episode. Were they contractually obligated to do all that slobbering? It was like bad product placement - really weird. I suspect that they were, that it was Madonna's idea to have the entire cast engage in a WTH hagiography. The producers should have said no - it was a throwaway episode, like they spent the whole time on the holodeck.

However, it looks like the next two weeks are going to be fantastic and back to the Glee of before, and I am stoked.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.