FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Glee (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Glee
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
I watched it tonight, and I'm not sure what I think. I loved the OCD guidance counselor, and the gal playing the cheer coach is always great. The super obnoxious cheerleaders, moral superiority all around, and hints of marital infidelity weren't really draws for me.

And I was never quite sure I believed the actors were singing. I don't know, that part just sort of looked fake. For a show about people singing, that seems like a rather serious disadvantage.

I'll probably watch a few more episodes. Anyone else giving it a chance?

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
That show was not so bad, but, what is up with that dude's wife?
I don't like her! I bet if I was married and I had a husband I wouldn't be like her.
I'd be nice.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
I watched it tonight. I also saw the pilot a few months back.

I think the pacing was better in tonight's episode than the pilot. However, tonight's episode seemed alittle too fast. I felt like I was coming in at the middle of a season.

From what I remember of the pilot, we got to see each kid audition and they explained why the head jock in the school would join such an unpopular club. You also got more backstory regarding the Glee Club teacher, his high school years, and the situation with his wife. The pilot also gave the impression that while each kid was talented, they were very different and part of the drama would be seeing how their interact and bring the group together musically. But in tonight's episode, they were kicking butt as a group from the get-go.

The singing did seem REALLY over the top. I want to believe its their voices but it sounded overproduced. I don't remember it being that obnoxious in the pilot. I was also sad that I didn't get to see the "Rehab" number again.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LargeTuna
Member # 10512

- posted      Profile for LargeTuna   Email LargeTuna         Edit/Delete Post 
I was just really annoyed that the main girl is pretending to be a sphmore in highschool, but she obviousley looks at least 25. It's so ridiculous, can't they at least find a 19 year old to play 4 years younger instead of someone to play 8?

i've only seen the pilot, but as far as girly shows that I would only watch with some of my friends that are girls (I'm a guy) I rate it much much much better than a lot of the garbage out there.

Posts: 856 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sala
Member # 8980

- posted      Profile for Sala           Edit/Delete Post 
Meh. The singing was so canned that it wasn't enjoyable. The main girl, like LargeTuna says, is so old for the part that it's hard to accept. The infidelity, the sexy number instead of the disco number . . . all of these things turned me off and so I turned it off at about 40 after the hour.
Posts: 315 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

quote:
Originally posted by LargeTuna:
I was just really annoyed that the main girl is pretending to be a sphmore in highschool, but she obviousley looks at least 25. It's so ridiculous, can't they at least find a 19 year old to play 4 years younger instead of someone to play 8?

She's 23 years old and a year younger than myself. I wait tables in a family restaurant and my customers are always asking if I attend one of the local high schools.

I agree that she doesn't look like most real-life high schoolers, but I don't think she looks any older than most actors/actresses who play teenage characters. I think she just has a different look about her (she's not a typical Hollywood version of pretty.)

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogbreath
Member # 11879

- posted      Profile for Dogbreath           Edit/Delete Post 
Why oh why don't they just hire teenagers to play teenagers? I mean, it worked for the Harry Potter movies, and IMO it's a lot better than having 23 year olds pretend they're 15. It's one of the reasons I dislike most high school movies/shows... they always have "high school students" who are older than I am.
Posts: 2222 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
There are rules about minors working as actors. It's more economical to use actual adults. And even the shift in talent between 18 and 20 year olds can be pretty big.

It's a show. You should really just relax.

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hank
Member # 8916

- posted      Profile for Hank   Email Hank         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the pilot had a lot of potential, but that the plot themes they were working with would naturally die out pretty quickly, so it was all a matter of what they did next. Then this episode.

Based on this, the rest of the season could be about how you should ditch your bossy wife/cheerleader girlfriend and go sleep with the quirky girl, or they could actually give the cheerleaders back stories like all the other major characters. I think they could make a great series if they allow all the groups to be real people (in a loose sense, obviously the entire show takes place in a state of heightened reality) or they could make something miserable and terrible.

I'll give it a few more episodes, but I'm not as interested as I was after the pilot.

Posts: 368 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

quote:
Originally posted by Dogbreath:
Why oh why don't they just hire teenagers to play teenagers? I mean, it worked for the Harry Potter movies, and IMO it's a lot better than having 23 year olds pretend they're 15. It's one of the reasons I dislike most high school movies/shows... they always have "high school students" who are older than I am.

The Harry Potter age-situation was only true for the first few movies. And I think you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone who would argue that the young cast hasn't improved with age and experience. Tom Felton gave a great performance as Draco Malfoy in the last film and while the character was only 16 years old, Tom will be turning 22 in a week or two. Rupert Grint, Daniel Radcliffe, and alot of the students are also into their 20s now.

And aside from acting talent, vocal ability grows exponentially every year with singers. I did choir for eight years and it was always exciting to hear everyone's voices grow after a summer out of school. My vocal coach was always giving me the same speech "let's try that higher note in another six months" or having me listen to my old recordings to just hear how my voice had matured over a year or two. Teens are still growing and that affects both the vocal chords and stamina.

Lea is an incredible talent as Rachel and she also comes with a nice little Broadway following which can't hurt.

neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dogbreath:

"Degrassi", a well known teen drama franchise here in Canada (I'm not sure how many Americans are familiar with it) is actually really good about this. The actors are actually the same ages as their characters. Its stories also tend to be more realistic than say 90210 or Dawson's Creek. We actually used to watch it in school to learn about the dangers of drugs, unprotected sex, abusive relationships, etc.
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

I've seen Degrassi. It's on TeenNick here in the states and sometimes on Mtv. Not exactly a shining example of teen acting and singing talent.
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
The acting was probably better in the old series from the 80s rather than the currently airing "Next Generation". At least from what I remember. As for singing talent, it's not a musical.

About the whole age thing in teen dramas though, I find amusement in the fact that I'm a 25 year old high school teacher, and often times the high school students on tv are played by actors who are older than me.

Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
I live in Lima, Ohio. It's big news around here, but I haven't watched yet. I have it on my DVR just havent gotten around to it yet.
Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

- posted      Profile for Armoth   Email Armoth         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay. Just finished the 5th episode and WOW. They have a new "Don't stop believing."

I actually think that it is enough to make me watch the 20 min of horrible plot to enjoy the other 20 min of awesome music.

I just wish Finn and Rachel would stop circling each other...

Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luet13
Member # 9274

- posted      Profile for Luet13   Email Luet13         Edit/Delete Post 
I love that Kristin Chenoweth guest starred. She is one of the best Broadway singers of our time. If she was in town in anything, ever, even one of my least favorite musicals, I would see it just to see her live.

I'm also enjoying this show. I think it's mainly cute, sometimes annoying, and basically just good fun. There are some serious issues that get dealt with, but like any musical, it's pretty lighthearted all the way through.

Posts: 511 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
My fiancee and I watched the first episode of this season and it fell flat for us. We gave the second episode a shot, and we pretty quickly decided to take it off our DVR list.

It's just not very good - though it's inexplicably getting rave reviews. I don't know, I guess different strokes for different folks. We're done with it, though.

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's worth it just for the music. I think Rachel is adorable, though I was annoyed with her during her little two episode diva mini-arc where it was all about her. I thought the stuff with Kurt in "Preggers" was very good TV. I think usually something like that might not come out for a couple seasons in other TV shows, but I guess it was a little harder to avoid in this one. Still it was done well.

I think the acting is so-so a lot of the time. The only thing I don't really believe is when they sing as an ensemble, first off it sounds over the top good, and second, it sounds like there are way more than just four or five of them. They have the same power as the kids who did the "rehab" number and there were three times as many. Maybe that's just my lack of experience with glee clubs, but the numbers don't seem to add up. I really hope it is them though.

I'm fine with the flaws. If you don't take is seriously at all, and just enjoy it for the fun and the music, it's very enjoyable. I think the show, even with all its flaws, is also doing a lot of important things image wise. The cast is a grab bag of genders, sizes, races, sexual orientation, and even disabilities. I really don't know how they could have gotten more diverse than that. It's showing people of varying types, some of whom get picked on a lot (the flamboyant gay kid, the fat kid, the kid with the stutter, the overachieving kid with no friends, the kid in a wheel chair), but all of whom are either comfortable with themselves, or who gain confidence through something bigger than themselves. For the positive message alone I think the show is worth keeping on the air. The teen drama stuff is probably just to keep that particular age bracket interested.

I generally don't watch new shows in their first season. I hate getting involved in a show and then having the rug yanked out from under me before the first thirteen episodes are even up. But I'm not at all sorry that I got into this one. A lot of the behind the scenes making-of stuff is really cool too. For example, the girl who plays Mercedes was singing "Bust Your Windows" on the set when they were filming the pilot and the creator of the show said "there's a song about busting some guy's windows?! How don't I already have that!" And then a couple episodes later told her that she'd be doing it. I also like how prominent artists are allowing their songs to be used either cheaply or for free. I think if for no other reason, this show will keep going because of the crap ton of money they'll make off mp3 sales.

I also like that last week they sort of transitioned away from only doing musical numbers within the glee format. Originally they said they weren't going to do songs outside of the actual glee club, so it wouldn't be like HSM or other musicals that use the song as dialogue to actually move the plot. They sort of found a happy medium by using songs outside of glee as a soliloquy or internal monologue, a la "Bust Your Windows" or when Rachel sang that Rihanna song about Finn.

Anywho, me likey, flaws and all.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aeolusdallas
Member # 11455

- posted      Profile for aeolusdallas   Email aeolusdallas         Edit/Delete Post 
I am quickly falling in love with Glee. The last episode had some really amazing songs in it and as usual it had great one lines. This week Kurt talking about bambi while hungover and lat week Sue talking about Sandy's house both had me in tears.
Posts: 305 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
For me it was Puck's line about Rachel wanting to make him set himself on fire. When did the dialog start getting good?

And apparently they heard a buddy of mine complain that all the women were conniving while the men were good-hearted doofuses. Still not sure why everyone on the show but Mr Shue has to go straight for the con when they want something, but it was nice to see them level the field a little.

And I agree that Kristin was fantastic. Loved every moment she was on screen. Plus I had very little of either baby drama to annoy me. Only downside was there was virtually no Sue. Maybe next week.

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aeolusdallas
Member # 11455

- posted      Profile for aeolusdallas   Email aeolusdallas         Edit/Delete Post 
I never bought the only the women are bad argument. The glee teacher is super passive agressive and doing things for all the wrong reasons. The football coach is a loser, Puck is a whore and a bully, Finn is....slow, Sandy likes teenage boys and the Principle doesn't give a damn he just wants to be left alone. Really Emma is the only adult in the show who honestly seems to care about the kids.
Posts: 305 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I think Will obviously cares about the kids, he often fails in the execution, but not with his intention.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aeolusdallas
Member # 11455

Will thinks he cares but really it often seems to be all about his glory.
Shmuel
Member # 7586

- posted      Profile for Shmuel   Email Shmuel         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by AvidReader:
Still not sure why everyone on the show but Mr Shue has to go straight for the con when they want something, but it was nice to see them level the field a little.

Everyone but Mr. Shue? Remember why Finn joined the glee club in the first place?

I wish they bothered to maintain something resembling consistency from week to week, both in terms of the characters and the plot, but I accept that it's just Not That Sort Of Show. [Smile] It's still my one and only must-see series this season.

(At least until American Idol returns, but I fear that one officially jumped the shark when they lost Paula. And then blew their shot at redemption when they chose Ellen as a replacement. But I would love to be wrong... and, anyway, that probably belongs in a different thread.)

Posts: 884 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

I didn't see the pilot, so I missed that. In that case, why does everyone on the show have to go straight for the con when they want something? [Smile]
aeolusdallas
Member # 11455

Okay the guys hopped up on cold meds was absolutely hilarious. That whole episode was gold. I also think that the guys completely won that contest.
Shanna
Member # 7900

I agree. Very fun episode and the guy' mash-up was loads better. Though the girls' dancing so perky, I couldn't stop laughing.

I am REALLY excited for next week.

aeolusdallas
Member # 11455

quote:
Originally posted by Shanna:
I agree. Very fun episode and the guy' mash-up was loads better. Though the girls' dancing so perky, I couldn't stop laughing.

I am REALLY excited for next week.

Yeah that should be one heck of a showdown
Armoth
Member # 4752

I wasn't the biggest fan. I can wait for this stupid baby plot to resolve itself. Actually I'm not a fan of any of the adult drama. I like the kids in Glee club way more.
Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm worried that this episode will promote abuse of cold medicine. But darn good =)
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Yeah, frankly that made me worry a bit too.

I really think they should have ended the episode with some of the actual negative side effects of taking pseudphedrine. Generally it's considered safe, but a number of problems crop up with repeated use. It's essentially speed.

Other than that, loved the mashups.

Shmuel
Member # 7586

- posted      Profile for Shmuel   Email Shmuel         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Sudafed sales have been pretty tightly regulated for years now, if that helps any...

Anyway, agreed on the guys' mashup being the better of the two. [Smile]

Posts: 884 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogbreath
Member # 11879

- posted      Profile for Dogbreath           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Shmuel:
Well, Sudafed sales have been pretty tightly regulated for years now, if that helps any...

Anyway, agreed on the guys' mashup being the better of the two. [Smile]

Around here you have to show ID and are only allowed to buy 2 packs at once. None of the "36 packs" thing we saw.
Posts: 2222 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
So wait a minute here. The principal is the one who puts all this pressure on Shue in the first place, makes him pay for everything out of pocket and threatens to pull the plug if they don't make sectionals. And SHUE is the one who gets penalized for having a competitive nature?? And worse, he's gotta deal with Sue as a co-coach?

I think the show just completely lost me there. I've been on the edge because of the extreme caricatures that most of the staff plus Shue's wife embody. The only parts of this show that have been fun for me the last couple weeks have been the musical numbers.

And yes, the whole Sudafed plotline was just so wrong. But then again, so is the rest of the show.

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

I actually didn't mind the plot in this one. That's the first that's happened.

I'm not even sure what they did that was different, but I like this one better than most. It was less flashy and funnier.

Armoth
Member # 4752

I have to dull my emotional sensitivity every time I see that evil wife of Will's. Otherwise I'd be clutching my sides, reeling in pain over how awful she is being by hiding her fake pregnancy.

But as I previously said, I like the kids' storyline, not so much with the adults. I think the lost song was beautiful. The choreography told a really good emotional story. I was surprised because I don't really expect such artsyness from Glee.

Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm kind of the opposite - I much prefer the adults in the show to the kids. It might just be an almost irrational love of Jane Lynch chewing up the scenery, though... [Big Grin]

(I DVR the show and fast-forward through nearly all the singing. I feel like somehow I'm missing the "soul" of the show, but I enjoy it way more.)

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

The baby drama makes me want to tear my hair out.

The song at the end almost made me a little misty. I love that they were singing to Quinn, and her reaction was great. Hooray for solidarity.

Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
Another vote for ending the fake pregnancy silliness. That could never work. Quinn can't keep that secret.
Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Too many loose ends that won't stay untied. Puck will eventually spill the beans that he's the dad. His character is demanding the sort of exploration and depth that most of the others have gotten. If not, Shue will figure out that the baby isn't his one way or another, if for no other reason than I question whether or not the baby will come out looking brunette and white. If he looks more like his daddy, I think everyone would have a bit of a "wtf?" moment and realize that something isn't right.

Frankly though, I think Quinn is going to have a miscarriage. If she doesn't, I think there has to be a baby around all the time one way or another, and I don't think they'll put that on the show.

Armoth
Member # 4752

Yea. That was kind of a disappointment for me in this episode. Puck was actually there for so much of the drama and they didn't even show any of his reactions!
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

The only time they really panned to him was during the end song where he was joining the others in supporting Quinn (which was just an awesome scene by the way, I loved the emotion they showed, it was perfect).

Other than that, I think if they're going to include him in the baby mama drama (can't believe I just said that), then they need to actually include him! I thought he was a jerk at the start of the show, then he became...I don't know, some weird oddity. He obviously cares about Finn, but he slept with Quinn when he doesn't even enjoy high school girls in that way, which in hindsight actually looks somewhat out of character. He showed a lot of moral character afterward by demanding to play a role in the baby's life though.

What's weird is that they keep giving us all these evidence that the characters are really good people, and then they have them do something horrible. Quinn lies to Finn so she can escape Lima with him, Finn lies to Rachel to get her to join the club for his own selfish purposes, Puck shows obvious signs of caring about Finn, even backed him up during the Beyonce football dance number, but slept with his girlfriend in the very beginning. Rachel was a total jerk during the whole "it's all about me" phase when she quit the club before coming back.

Is it that they can't decide who the characters are, or refuse to let us unconditionally like them? I understand a show has to have conflict and drama to some degree, it's not like Virginia Woolf is writing the script, but they need to make it a little more sensible and fluid.

T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
Sue is great.
Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Finally started watching. I think the show is silly but appreciate it for what it is. I do wish the songs were a little less overproduced. I assume they're setting it up to translate directly to a soundtrack tie-in. I absolutely loved the boys' Mashup (I might purchase said soundtrack just for that).

All the characters are very flawed, and I think that's fine. Plenty of people can be basically good at heart but still act mean or foolish a lot of the time.

Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoy the songs. I really really want Finn, Quinn, Shu, his terrible wife, the doctor, heck- the writers to take a health class and find out when baby gender can be determined via ultrasound.

It irritates me to no end that they all think they know what they're having before 10 weeks. Has not one of those people even picked up What to Expect??

Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

Nice to see them back this week. I loved the wheelchair number, and it was nice to see someone other than the love triangles get a little screen time. And Sue turned out to be a little more complicated than I thought they'd go for. I really liked that.

I did want to beat Finn over the head with something heavy, though. He's going to give up all his free time busting his behind at a job that I guarantee is still not paying the doctor bills so his girlfriend can put off telling her parents a few more weeks? Seriously? She can't hide it forever; she might as well get it over with and put the bills on the insurance.

I know, they're teenagers, they're supposed to do stupid things. I guess most shows I've watched had more harmless teenagers who got into silly situations. I'm not used to watching teenagers be teenagers when they ought to be grown ups.

I should probably appreciate that more. [Smile]

Armoth
Member # 4752

Yeah. I actually really liked that episode. I thought defying gravity was stunning and the wheelchair number was great. They could have left out Artie's song in the beginning, but, oh well.

I thought this episode was the first deep episode. I thought that Kurt's relationship was [b]real[/i] and that they had a lot to deal with as opposed to his dad being accepting all too quickly. It made me really sad that Kurt gave up the solo for his dad, but I also thought it was touching.

Speaking of - that whole thing was Sue was amazing. First, I love that Glee cast those children. I KNOW they made them sooo happy to be on tv! And they did it in a way where they didn't make fun of them or anything. I think it was beautiful.

Shanna
Member # 7900

I love Kurt's relationship with his dad. Its nice to see something besides the usual "coming out" story. I think the writers and the actors are dealing with the situation in a way that is positive and loving but also realistic regarding the adjustment Kurt's dad is going to have to make.

The duet version of "Defying Gravity" on the Glee soundtrack is AMAZING. Check it out.

I liked Artie's solo. Glad to see that character developed more. I love the minor cast so much more than the love-triangle, baby-daddy drama.

And yay for Sue! That was really unexpected and now I don't totally hate the character. She was starting to go past funny and into annoyingly over the top.

Random observations: Puck looked insanely silly in the yellow shirt and suspenders get up. And if they're struggling to pay for the special bus for Artie, where did the fancy custom stage piece in the "River" number come from??

Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
I really, really enjoyed the part about Kurt and his dad, and the part with Sue. That nuanced character development is why I fell in love with the show in episode one, and the lack of it, why I haven't enjoyed the season to date.

Big step forward for this week.

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Loved the stuff with Kurt and his dad. What's going on there is probably the best exploration of a father/gay son relationship I've ever seen on TV. It's cool stuff. I think what makes it great is that the dad doesn't seem to follow any of the stereotypes. He's not REALLY okay with it, it's not how he was brought up, but he wants to be a good dad, so he supports his son anyway, and you can tell he's struggling with it. He's not a jerk who rejects his son, and he's not totally okay with it, he's somewhere in the middle. Felt very realistic not to lump the dad in with the jerks or the possibly unrealistic totally acceptance.

Shanna -

Well, they only needed half of what they earned for the special bus.

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.