FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Your Stargate News Center - Stargate SG1 Side Note (Page 3)

This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  16  17  18   
Author Topic: Your Stargate News Center - Stargate SG1 Side Note
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Spoilers.

Oh I forgot about Emerson, you're right. Caldwell gets under my skin too, but he's grown on me over time. Odyssey currently has no known commander. I wouldn't mind seeing Major Lorne promoted and given command of the ship, I've always liked Lorne. We'll probably see a new ship next season too. It looks like they pump out two a year, and that was BEFORE they shifted 80% of the SGC's funding over to ship production. I bet they can do three a year now. Still, won't make much of a difference if we can't get some more serious weaponry going. I find it hard to believe they haven't made further progress on building more drones.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
SPOILERS... (I guess)

Well, if we're going to talk about commanders of ships long gone, I miss Pendergast. And yes, I was actually somewhat surprised that they made the Prometheus blow up - I blame the Cylons. [Smile]

Caught up on Atlantis S3 last night. Oh, dear Carson! I thought, overall, the second half of the season started off fairly strong and ended rather weakly. I agree about the "Vengeance" episode - just not done well. Interesting idea, pathetic execution. The finale was... mediocre. I was expecting somewhat of a stronger hook, but I suppose one can't have everything.

Looking forward to catching SG-1 - I've been almost as excited for "Bounty" as I was for "The Shroud," which continues to be my favourite episode of the past few seasons. [Smile]

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Lorne is great, and I miss Pendergast too.

I don't think the cost of the ships comes from the SGC's budget. It's part of the Department of Homeworld Security budget, not the SGC's. Neh?

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

No, it doesn't come from the SGC's budget, but, they stole 80% of the SGC's budget and gave it directly to the 304 construction program. Remember that episode? In "The Ties That Bind," some guy came and told Landry that 80% of their funding was being yanked to totally support the Atlantis mission, since that was where everything was happening. When they argued the point to Senate Appropriations, the senator said they should be putting all the money into the 304 program, which is probably why we got two ships during that season, in Odyssey and Korolev.

And I'm pretty sure, though not positive, that the SGC's budget is IN the Homeworld Security budget.

To be honest, if this were real life, I don't blame them. Area 51 and 304 construction are vital to homeworld security at this point, we need a fleet. I wouldn't have slashed their funding by THAT much, but to get an extra ship or two, I don't blame them.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
And I'm pretty sure, though not positive, that the SGC's budget is IN the Homeworld Security budget.
Definitely.

And yeah, I vaguely recall the money shuffling. [Wink]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
SPOILERS FOR SG1 EP10.15 'BOUNTY'
Hilarious! I gotta say, I loved it when Carter came out from backstage toting a huge space gun, took one shot, and hit the guy in the peanut gallery. The bus was pretty cool, too.

Anybody else get a Mitchell==Clark Kent vibe?

Seriously, SG1 has been getting better and better this season. If this quality continues through the season and to the two movies, I'll be satisfied w/a proper ending for the series.

The one thing missing from the episode is a reason for why the SGC is bothering w/the Lucian Alliance's drug trade when the Ori fleet is knocking at the door.
/END SPOILERS FOR SG1 EP10.15 'BOUNTY'

Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Miro:
Anybody else get a Mitchell==Clark Kent vibe?

YES! And that would be fine, if it weren't a Smallville CK. [Razz]

Also, take a good look at the signs on the walls of the halls of the high school. [Big Grin]

Miro
Member # 1178

You mean Peter DeLuise? I noticed that.

Also, there was a female DeLuise in the credits. I wonder who she was playing.

Edit: I just looked her up. Ann Marie DeLuise (Peter DeLuise's wife!) was playing Amy.

Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

I'm curious as to thoughts on this last episode. I've read mixed things about it, and fully disagree with half of them. [Smile]
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
**SPOILERS for Season 5/6**
I'm in season 6 (season 5 cost too much on half.com; I'll get it later), and

I don't get the Jonas thing. He's an alien, but he sounds like he's from Ohio. He doesn't seem to have any customs or idiosyncracies that relate to his home world. He betrayed his government, and he can't go home, and the only thing he seems personally concerned about is whether SG-1 will let him be one of the guys. What gives?

Teal'c has a similar story, and his Jaffa-ness comes out all the time.

Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Will, Jonas does have a few alien-quirks, but not many. And most of Teal'c's have more to do with the differences in his physiology and Jaffa culture. Jonas' world is distinctly reminiscent of early-Cold-War-era Earth.

Carrie, if it hadn't completely ignored the current story arc AND not had Carter, I'd probably have been much happier about it. Given both those things, it's only because I've always enjoyed Joshua Malina that I give the episode 7.5 -- and seven-and-a-half-points doesn't mean a heck of a lot. [Razz]

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Miro:
You mean Peter DeLuise? I noticed that.

Also, there was a female DeLuise in the credits. I wonder who she was playing.

Edit: I just looked her up. Ann Marie DeLuise (Peter DeLuise's wife!) was playing Amy.

There were two sets of signs.

And I swear, is there an adult DeLuise who still has NOT been on one SG or the other? [Wink]

gnixing
Member # 768

- posted      Profile for gnixing   Email gnixing         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the latest episode was great as a standalone... but feel shafted that, in light of the pending finale of SG-1, they are wasting precious episodes needed to finish the story on filler standalone episodes.

I hope they tie it in to the main story arc somehow.

Posts: 494 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by gnixing:
I thought the latest episode was great as a standalone... but feel shafted that, in light of the pending finale of SG-1, they are wasting precious episodes needed to finish the story on filler standalone episodes.

That's pretty much my feelings on it.

Which likely means I will like it more . . . eventually.

Carrie
Member # 394

I agree with the half who say it was hilarious. I don't so much mind that they left the Ori story behind for a while, because I've never actually liked the Ori story to begin with. [Smile]

Besides, the movies have to be about something - can't tie up all the loose ends yet!

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Heh, okay that was hilarious. Man this has been a great season so far. I'm glad they are still making room for these little non-arc nuggets of fun.

Spoiler for the next couple weeks

By the way, next week is a non-arc story focusing on Teal'c and a former pupil of his. It's called "Talion," which is a reference to Lex Talionis "The Law of Retribution." Basically Teal'c's former student is a big fan of Origin now, he bombs a Jaffa Council meeting and Teal'c goes on a one man vengeful quest to find him at all costs, leaving a trail of bodies in his wake. But all is not as it seems... Chances are I won't like this episode. Teal'c standalones lost their magic four or five seasons ago.

But, the week after THAT, we get "Family Ties," which I think will be a great episode. We FINALLY get some play out of the fact that General Landry's daughter is on the base and they have a rift, which seemed like it would be a big deal at the beginning of the seasons but hasn't resulted in much yet. Landry's ex-wife and the doctor's mother makes a visit to the base. And we also get to see Vala's father, played by Fred Willard, who can be hysterical. I think we're going to get a good mix of drama from the Landrys and comedy from the..Mal Dorans...Her father is supposed to be there to help organize a defense of the station.

That takes us into the final two episodes. In "Dominion," SG1 hatches some sort of plot to capture Adria using Vala as bait, but everyone's favorite Goauld, Baal, gets in the way. Frankly I'm just sick of this guy now. But he's there to muck things up, and at the end of the episode Vala is supposed to have some big unthinkable decision she has to make.

Our series finale is "Unending," which I think I've already covered before, but here it is again. They get trapped on a space ship in a time dilation field and we see them 20 years in the future, then 40 years in the future, and then they go back in time again. Originally this was supposed to be a cliffhanger, but they've had to rewrite the whole thing to end SG1 and keep Stargate alive. Anyway, from what I understand, it's basically an homage to 10 years of the team, and they live out their lives together, and then they undo the whole thing at the end.

That takes us to Stargate: The Ark of Truth, which will be released early Fall 2007, around the time Atlantis will probably be going on it's midseason break. It has sadly been confirmed that Richard Dean Anderson will NOT be in the first DVD movie. I know, it's crappy news, but it's confirmed. The movie will be the climax of the arc, as the SG1 team finds out more Ori ships are coming through the Supergate to make a final assault on Earth. Daniel thinks he knows where some superweapon is, but it's in the Ori galaxy, so they hop in the Odyssey and take off for it. But the IOA will do something to muck it up, and they'll end up in a distant galaxy fighting two powerful enemies at once. Neither Beau Bridges nor Morena Baccarin have signed onto the project yet. It starts shooting in April.
End spoilers.

You guys can probably expect more information on next season's Atlantis and possible news on the third Stargate series in the coming months. And hopefully news on Daniel Jackson's continuing involvement [Smile] .

rivka
Member # 4859

I'm with you on Ba'al. He was my favorite Goa'uld for a long time, but now I just want him (and every single clone) GONE.
Carrie
Member # 394

But... he's HOT.
rivka
Member # 4859

Yes, yes he is.

Hot is unfortunately NOT incompatible with incredibly, teeth-jarringly annoying.

Carrie
Member # 394

Never said it was. [Smile]

"Summit" was on the other day, and I reveled in the first time we ever saw Ba'al. "Abyss," though... mmm... [Wink]

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I forgot to add: SPOILER.
In "Unending" we're supposed to see two characters get together, and RDA is NOT in the episode. I think you can expect to see Daniel and Vala get together. Just a guess though.

rivka
Member # 4859

What, again? [Razz]
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

When did they get together before? I know Ben Browder was with Claudia Black in Farscape, and Daniel MIGHT have "gotten with" her in "Prometheus Unbound" or some point in between, at Vala's insistence, but I doubt it. The gist I was made to understand was that they'll get together in an actual relationship.
rivka
Member # 4859

I don't like Farscape, so I'm certainly not talking about that. It was pretty definite on Prometheus Unbound. And they came pretty close a few times since.

I just don't buy them together. *shrug*

Carrie
Member # 394

You just want Daniel, don't you.
rivka
Member # 4859

*LAUGH*
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but she wants Season 2 Daniel, when he was starting to fit in a bit but before he buffed out. [Wink]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

That's what the DVDs are for.
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
Lyrhawn, is it me or does "Unending" sound very similar to ST:TNG's last episode, "All Good Things..."?
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
Yeah, but she wants Season 2 Daniel, when he was starting to fit in a bit but before he buffed out. [Wink]

Speak for yourself, hon. [Big Grin]
Carrie
Member # 394

*Spoiler*

I thought the relationship TPTB were trying to set up was between Mitchell and Dr. Lam. Granted, we've not seen her for, oh, five episodes, but I thought the secret little in-joke in "Ripple Effect" was that the AU relationship had happened. [Dont Know]

Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
Apophis is after us *again*!

link

Astronomers are monitoring an asteroid named Apophis, which has a 1 in 45,000 chance of striking Earth on April 13, 2036.

Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by Nighthawk:
Lyrhawn, is it me or does "Unending" sound very similar to ST:TNG's last episode, "All Good Things..."?

Yes, somewhat, but "what if" series finales aren't exactly a new idea.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
As long as they don't stink it up like the "X-Files" series finale. Ick. Talk about a suck-fest.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
The second coming of Apophis is at hand!

I just love seeing stuff about Apophis in mainstream media. Apparently the guys who discovered the asteroid are Stargate fans, though of course Apophis, being a real mythological deity of destruction(heh!), is very much an appropriate name apart from Stargate.

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Yeah, that cracks me up.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

To be more accurate, they should have named it Naquedah Bomb.
rivka
Member # 4859

O_o

Do you know something about the real-life asteroid that we don't?

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

::forms a cage with hands::

Let's just say you really don't want to shoot any explosives at it.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Dangit.

*packs to leave for Alpha Site*

rivka
Member # 4859

2036, kq. How long does it take you to pack?!?
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Hey, if someone's shooting explosives at a NAQUEDAH BOMB, I'm leaving TOMORROW.
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the gravity tractor was the popular solution. All we have to do is drive the Daedalus over to the asteroid and let it hang there until we alter the orbit so it doesn't hit us. No explosives required!

Also, if it does have naquadah, clearly the solution is to dispatch a mining operation! Just think of all the energy we could get out of that.

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Or we just expand a hyperspace window around the asteroid with the Odyssey.
rivka
Member # 4859

Well, THAT was the shortest episode opener I recall an SG ep ever having.

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

S

A

H

E

A

D

Could they POSSIBLY have made this episode any more of an obvious metaphor for current politics? grah!

And would it be SO hard to choose ONE pronunciation of Arkad and bloody STICK with it? (Isn't it weird how the different groups of Jaffa have accents almost exactly like certain Earth regions? Uncanny, really.)

Pretty sure John Tench has played an oddly similar character before. And on The Outer Limits, no less. What, they weren't just running out of plots, they ran out of original characters???

If this is what an Ori-arc episode looks like, give me last week's stand-alone again. [Razz] Although I have to say, I rather like bitter-and-jaded-Daniel. [Wink] And the little Jaffa girl was sweet.

Oh, and I found something useful. Google "stargate piggymoo."

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
If this is what an Ori-arc episode looks like, give me last week's stand-alone again
I warned ya [Smile]
rivka
Member # 4859

*growl*

Oh, there was some interesting (casual but a bit odd) touching happening between two characters early on. I wonder if that has anything to do with this supposed getting-togethering.

Miro
Member # 1178

Yah, I was thinking that myself. Ack! I hate spoilers.

SPOILERS FOR TALION!

So Mitchell is Clark Kent from Smallville, and Teal'c is Denzel Washington's character from Man on Fire. Ok..

/END SPOILERS

"Stargate piggymoo"? I'm a little worried.

rivka
Member # 4859

I would link directly, but I believe direct links to that type of site are frowned upon here. [Evil]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Thanks for the piggymoo, rivka! Teh awesome!
  This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  16  17  18   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.