FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Your Stargate News Center - Stargate SG1 Side Note (Page 4)

This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  16  17  18   
Author Topic: Your Stargate News Center - Stargate SG1 Side Note
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice site riv [Smile] Probably not good to link it here, but it's handy, and quite extensive.

Here's some news for everyone:

Claudia Black will be guest starring on The Dresden Files at the end of March as a rival investigator.

SG1 has been nominated for the Saturn Award for best Syndicated/Cable TV show. It won in 2000, 2004 and 2005, and lost last year to Battlestar Galactica.

I don't remember if I got into specifics before, but Amanda Tapping will be be in 14 of the 20 episodes next season for Stargate Atlantis. Jewel Staite will be in eight of the 20 episodes. No word yet, that I know of, for how many episodes Dr. Weir will be in, but I'd guess she'll be in at least the first two, maybe three episodes of the season.

Two more bigish announcements:

Stargate Atlantis will be starting in the Fall and not the Summer as Stargate has for the last decade. Filming starts in March, which means I'm betting we won't have anywhere near the kind of break we had to endure this year, and we'll get it around the time of the SG1 movies.

This was in a press release from the Sci-Fi Network:

quote:
promises to up the ante this season by introducing a powerful new race, welcoming new cast members and mourning the loss of some beloved friends
Someone's gonna die, some newbies are coming along, and we have yet ANOTHER new poweful alien race. I hope they're a good guy for once. We haven't met a powerful ally since the Asgard, and they're barely around these days.

Spoiler
And I should add, that many are theorizing that Carter will be the new leader of Atlantis. From what I've read, Atlantis is supposed to be cut off from Earth for part of this season's arc, which to me, suggests that Carter will have to be there when that happens. If it takes the first three or so episodes to get Atlantis back into contact with Earth, Carter can join up then, and then she's on for almost every episode afterwards. Sounds entirely plausible to me.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Some more news:

Christopher Judge will appear on an early Season 4 episode of Atlantis.

Atlantis is being filmed out of order, and they aren't starting with "Adrift," the season premiere, which some think is evidence that Amanda Tapping will in fact be in the season opener, but she can't film it right now because she's doing the SG1 movies.

There are no plans currently to bring any other SG1 characters over, but the producers are not ruling that out, saying it depends on the believability of the plot and the schedule of the actors. Currently Michael Shanks and Claudia Black have nothing going for them after the Stargate movies, though Shanks has been considering a return to the stage, and I haven't any news on his plans to do so.

The new race I was talking about earlier was called by the writers and producers "a real wild card." So I guess they won't be strictly good or evil. Other things I've read, from Executive Producer Josephy Mallozzi, have said that Torri Higginson (Dr. Weir) is in an undetermined number of episodes, specifically saying "that number is in a state of flux," and that Amanda Tapping will be providing "more of a support role," which perhaps dispels the rumor that she's taking over Atlantis.

He also said it's possible that Carson will make a guest appearance at some point this season. Some more comments from Mallozzi:

quote:
People complained that [in the past] there were a lot of McKay-centered stories. This year, when we went into Season 4 planning, we wanted to have a story for each character, something that explores their backstory and personality, with things that had not been revealed in previous episodes. We’re also doing a little more in terms of setting up extended, season-long arcs

On the new race in Season 4: “I want to keep it somewhat vague, but they are a race of beings that are atypical of the Pegasus galaxy. They’re a type of people we’ve encountered before in ‘SG-1,’ but we’ve yet to encounter [this type of race] in the ‘Atlantis’ universe.”

I'm still waiting to hear production rumors about the second spinoff series.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
People complained that [in the past] there were a lot of McKay-centered stories.
People actually complained about that?!? McKay is the reason to watch Atlantis. The more McKay, the better. [Smile]
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Exactly!!!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

From what I've read, some SG bloggers are saying we'll have to see a new batch of Rodney episodes with Colonel Carter joining Atlantis. I've also seen some guesses that a romance will blossom between the two of them, like we've seen in alternate realities.

Frankly I don't get as much out of the interactions between Rodney and Carter as apparently others do. I like Rodney's reactions and banter with the Atlantis crew, especially recently when they've toyed with him but made it clear that he's actually part of the team, and that they are all friends. Especially with the Rodney building episodes like "The Tao of Rodney" and "Dr. McKay and Mrs. Miller," (which is by far one of my favorites), he's become a much more team oriented player, despite the gruffness of his attitude, he's much different than he was in Season One.

I hope we see just as much Rodney as before, but I wouldn't mind seeing some building episodes for other characters. I thought Ronan's "Sateda" was a fantastically dark, grity episode. And I'd like to see more exploration on him and on the other characters as well.

Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't mind a few more Sheppard episodes... [Wink]
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Frankly I don't get as much out of the interactions between Rodney and Carter as apparently others do.
Ditto. They're not nearly as much fun to watch sparring as Rodney and Zalenka are. And while I secretly adore Sam/Jack shippy eps, I really see her with someone like Pete. (I still can't believe she broke things off with him.)
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

I love the McKay/Carter interactions. They're my favorite part. I don't, however, want to see them get together. That would ruin everything. And Lyrhawn, that was one alternate reality. [Wink]

I really don't get the Sheppard-love. He's pretty much a non-entity to me. Just a filler.

rivka - There's a snippet of the next Assistant up.

Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Miro:
I really don't get the Sheppard-love. He's pretty much a non-entity to me. Just a filler.

He's gorgeous. (Not as gorgeous as Mike Branton, but ya takes what ya gets.) He is also intelligent and amusing.

quote:
rivka - There's a snippet of the next Assistant up.

YES! Thankyou, thankyou! [Kiss]

. . . [Eek!]

Miro
Member # 1178

Mike Branton?

Anyway, as far as gorgeous, intelligent, and amusing go, I'll take Lorne over Sheppard every day of the week.

rivka
Member # 4859

Dr. Weir's bearded admirer.

Lorne is cute. But he's too smooth.

Miro
Member # 1178

Ah. I still prefer Lorne. [Smile]

Smooth? As in he doesn't have a beard?

rivka
Member # 4859

LOL! That too. But I meant personality-wise.
Miro
Member # 1178

That's just bc we haven't seen enough of him to know all his flaws.
rivka
Member # 4859

I don't think so, but maybe.
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Rivka on Sheppard. Nice to look at, good sense of humor, smart and not afraid to show it on occasion (I love the part at the beginning of Season 1 where he says that six symbols mean 120 possible combinations and McKay says something along the lines of "I knew that, but I didn't expect you to know." And him telling McKay he passed the Mensa test. Priceless!). I was worried at first that he'd just be an O'Neill clone (not literally, though I hope they do bring the clone back sometime--I want to know what happened to him!), which would be too cliche.

I like McKay episodes. I think he's an interesting character. He seems a lot more flawed than many other Stargate characters and it's nice because it gives him room for growth. I also find it interesting that he's an outspoken naturalist, something you don't see too often on TV. It's funny...I wasn't pleased when I found out he was going to be the chief scientist on Atlantis, but they did change his character just enough that he's more endearing than obnoxious.

I'm glad that Carter's going to be on Atlantis. She's one of my favorite characters. I'd vote for Daniel, too, if only because it makes sense for him to be there if SG-1 is breaking up. I do not want Carter to get together with McKay. That would completely spoil all the hilarious interactions between them, and I really don't think they would make a good couple.

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Is anyone else annoyed by Daniel's continual mispronunciation of "Myrddyn"? He's supposed to be all language-y but he says it with a "d".
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

How is it supposed to be pronounced?
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

How is it supposed to be pronounced?
Carrie
Member # 394

Aren't two D's supposed to be "th" or something?
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

Jinx.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Jinx.

lol, first time I've ever seen that happen (though I'm sure it has before), at least unintentionally.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, the double "D" should be a guttural "L." Kind of like "HWL", but more from the back of your throat, with the "HW" part as kind of "air", or "wind."
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I think that would bother me a hell of lot more to hear than "Myrddin" with a "d."

I absolve Daniel of guilt for using a more Romanized translation of the name.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

But it sounds like an "L." So the Romanized translation of that sound would be "l". Not "d."
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Romanized translations turned "Myrddin" into "Merdinus" which was specifically changed to "Merlinus" by French medieval authors to avoid sounding like "merde," pronounced with 'd' sound.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Still bugs me.
Miro
Member # 1178

quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
Actually, the double "D" should be a guttural "L." Kind of like "HWL", but more from the back of your throat, with the "HW" part as kind of "air", or "wind."

I'm trying, but I don't quite understand your description.

Still, if Daniel pronounced it w/an 'L' sound, then we wouldn't get all the

"Myrddin!"
"Who?Wha?"
"You know, King Arthur and the knights of the round table - Merlin!"

moments. And it wouldn't be Stargate w/out them.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I suppose.

Lyr, can you give me some texts? I'm not finding much "Merdinus" stuff.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I think, upon reflection, what bugs me most is when he says that TO MERLIN'S FACE. Okay, so either call him Merlin, Myrddyn, or whatever his name is in Ancient. Not some weird bastardization.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I'm off to work right now, but I can look later.

If you want somewhere to start, look for Gastin Paris and Geoffrey of...somewhere, Monmoth? Geoffrey used Merlinus when writing the Britainae Historia Regium, but I think it was Gaston who suggested he changed it from Merdinus.

I'm going by memory from a class I took last year, so I might be off a bit on some of the names above.

Miro
Member # 1178

Wow. You guys know a lot about this stuff.

Happy hunting. [Smile]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I've been thinking about the "dd" thing. If you can't pronounce the sound the way it is supposed to be, the closest approximation, and what English-speakers usually use, is "th". I think that's why it bothers me so much. He could say "Merthin" and still get the jokes about "Merthin? Come on, Merlin!" going, as well as not bugging the heck out of me every time he talks to him and calls him "Merdin."
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

(Of course I just thought some more and realized that maybe they're working from Welsh and not from one of the older languages. In which case the "d" sound would make more sense.)
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

"Family Ties" was interesting, for being the last of the non-arc episodes. Fred Willard, as suspected, was pretty funny. Poor Teal'c, I saw it coming, but even then I still felt bad for the guy. And he looked so excited to be there.

The last two episodes of the season, as I said before, will now be arc stories. Next week we get our last taste of Ba'al, and I suspect we'll finally found out the results of Daniel's efforts in "The Shroud."

Carrie
Member # 394

Oh, I laughed at poor Teal'c's situation. "The Virginia Monologues," indeed. [Smile]

I don't think I'm ready to say goodbye to Ba'al.

rivka
Member # 4859

Well, it pretended to be an arc-episode. And at least this time there were only TWO warring pronunciations of Arkad's name. [Razz]

Fred Willard was less amusing than usual. I wanted to see much less of him, and much more of Kim. But the Daniel-Vala bits were good.

Oh, and the first minute was absolutely awesome. [Big Grin]

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I too felt he was a lot less funny than I was expecting. I almost said so in my post, but felt a little funny saying a Stargate episode "wasn't funny enough."

I thought he said the "Virginia Dialogue" but either way I picked up on what it was supposed to be.

I too wanted to see more of Kim, it seemed like a bit of a lackluster way to tie up the Landry Family Squabbles story line. After the buildup and the muted answer, I feel a bit let down by that.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Just finished watching "Dominion."

I have to say, I know that isn't the end of Ba'al, because he's the villain in the second SG1 movie coming this fall, but dear God I wish it was. I've just zero interest in him anymore.

Somewhat bigger spoiler, though at this point, I can't imagine anyone is reading this not expecting spoilers.
So as per usual, they wait until it's just too long to act, and the bad guy gets away. The didn't kill Adria when they had the chance, though Ba'al tried to do it for them. So instead she ascends. Two major plot holes in this episode. First of all, why didn't they have the anti-prior device in the medical bay? Second, why did they try that ridiculous surgery when they could have just used symbiote poison on her!? They had JUST seen it used, I mean get a clue!

So Adria is dead and ascended, and likely has taken up personal control of all Ori power. And yet still the Ancients refuse to do anything. If they end up dead, it'll be their own faults by far. Other than Morgan Le Fey, Oma and the guy who helped Dr. Weir in the Atlantis episode where she went back in time, I care very little about the Ancients anymore, and I think if they aren't willing to fight for themselves, they deserve whatever they get.

Next week is it. We see their lives play out over time, we see some romance, supposed to see a big, big fight scene where one of our battlecruisers gets severely maimed. And then it will end in a cliffhanger, to be resolved by Ark of Truth, which is basically Season 11 only one tenth the size.

rivka
Member # 4859

We've given up the spoiler tags, right? If not

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER !!!

Lyr was right, and more surprisingly, I not only bought it, I cheered. He was SO cruel (too cruel, actually, IMO). And she cried. REALLY cried.

Ok, so I'm easy. I don't care -- it was awesome. Especially the "I just want you to know--" "I know," bit later. The silhouette was perfect. *sniffle*

Overall, quite good. No actual cliffhanger, but I'm really okay with that. [Razz] A lot of "for the fans" little moments (yay!), an answer to where the heck have the Asgard been (*sob*), and Mitchell got to bust up the joint again. (He really should look into anger management classes, mm?) Oh, and Sam with long hair again. Yay!

Miro
Member # 1178

*disclaimer: I haven't read any of the most recent posts, to avoid spoilers (and won't, until I watch the finale).*

I don't want to watch the last episode. [Frown] I'm putting it off. Once I watch it, it's over.

I considered a Stargate marathon, but I really don't have that kind of time (rough estimate: 154 hrs of SG1!). Or I could do just a S9/S10 marathon, to encompass the recent storylines.

I just don't want it to be over. [Frown]

Carrie
Member # 394

I was watching it - and it disappeared! I'm missing the last eight minutes! AAHHHH!

Suck!

rivka
Member # 4859

That's AWFUL! [Eek!]
Carrie
Member # 394

Thank Christ, I found it.

*goes off to watch the end*

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Oh, man, glad you found that. That would be el stinko.
rivka
Member # 4859

Phew!
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

(The kids are finally both down at once, I think I'm going to watch it myself.)
Carrie
Member # 394

So*...

*SOB!* It's over! The Asgard! Wait, the core stayed intact, right? I really really hope so, or else that would be extraordinarly unsatisfying. I was expecting the whole Daniel and Vala thing, but I kinda really liked it when he went off. It did feel a bit like a "Hire me on other shows!" spiel, though...

Yeah, I definitely shed a few tears during that episode. [Cry]

rivka
Member # 4859

I think the core stayed intact, but the whole we-can't-use-this-because-it-screams-find-me-find-me! is still a problem.

I really hated how nasty he was. I mean, I know that Daniel has evolved since S1. I even think it's a good thing, for the most part. But the version we got for most of S10, Angry!Daniel (with occasional spells of WhimsicallySilly!Daniel) just bugged me. *shrug* No more of him, anyway.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I'm through the first third. Did anyone get Star Trek vibes before they hit the

time dilation field?

This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  16  17  18   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.