FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Your Stargate News Center - Stargate SG1 Side Note (Page 5)

This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  16  17  18   
Author Topic: Your Stargate News Center - Stargate SG1 Side Note
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm gonna have to agree with Rivka on the Daniel thing. She told him she didn't want to hear it, and then he stood there and shouted really mean, hurtful (even if true) things at her back while she was pretty obviously upset and hurt. And then he pretended he hadn't thought it was really going to hurt her.

You don't say that kind of thing without WANTING to hurt someone, on some level (even for their own good.) At least not the way he was saying it.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, finally got to see the last 10 minutes. [Wink]

As much as I wasn't thrilled with EVERY SINGLE PART of the episode, and as much as I think they jumped higher than they often do on this one, I loved the last scene. Loved it. [Smile]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And then he pretended he hadn't thought it was really going to hurt her.
Actually, I don't think he was exactly pretending. But I don't care for Lunkhead!Daniel anymore than I care for Lunkhead!Clark. [Razz]

Then again, if they were trying to make sure I miss Daniel a little bit less . . . [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
First off, this will be my first post-SG1 news report. [Frown] It brings me great sadness to say that, as I love the show so very much, but it is what it is, and I think the sendoff was marvelous.

Stargate SG1 Movie news: Spoiler alert for this one: details have been releasead on the plot of the Ark of Truth, the first direct to DVD movie. It will take place some time in the future, uses the storyline originally meant for Season 11, but in a much abbreviated form. Tomin, Vala's husband defects from the Ori to earth. Apparently they have been searching for the Ark for some time now but could not find it. Tomin tells him about a ship over Dakara that has some meaning, and they kill the prior, but another ship is on the way so they can't take it with them, and can't destroy it without killing everyone aboard.

They return to Earth with Tomin, who is questioned hard by an IOA representative (Not Woosley, he's apparently occupied). They blame Mitchell for not destroying the ship, and Tomin informs them that a new fleet of Ori ships is coming to destroy Earth. Vala gets very pissy about how Tomin is treated at the hands of the IOA rep. That's all the details for now, but I'm sure more are to follow.

Details for the SGA episode Travelers: A group of space faring nomads kidnaps Sheppard after finding out that his ATA gene controls Lantean technology. They've found an Ancient battleship, which apparently dot the Pegasus galaxy like spots on a dalmatian, similar to the Aurora Class, and are using him as an interface to control it.

Michael Shanks news: Shanks has been confirmed for a recurring role on the tv show "24" which is sure to get him some major exposure. His exact role is unknown, but if I have to guess, I'd say he's going to play a suit from Division that comes in to take over and ruin the work that the people who actually know what they are doing...are doing.

Stargate: Continuum News: This is the second direct DVD movie. The news is that they are currently headed up to Alaska to do some arctic shots, and that a US Navy submarine is going to be taking part in the action.

For anyone who reads them, there's a few new SG books, for both Atlantis and SG1 coming out in the near future. No further news yet on the untitled third series, but I think we'll hear details on it in the next two months, as production wraps for the DVD movies, and Mallozzi and the others get serious on it. They're already working out plots and such, and I think we'll start to hear word on who is being cast and what the plot is like by May. Expect a report.

That's all the news!

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Darn, I thought Tomin was dead. [Razz]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I wanted to do a separate post on what I thought of the finale.

It was a mixture of emotions. It took 10 years but we FINALLY GOT PHASERS!!!! WOOHOO!!! When I heard that, and then actually saw them mow down that Ori ship I damn near dropped my laptop I was so excited! It was friggin' awesome! It's sad that the Asgard died, and so abruptly, and literally killed their entire planet to stop others from getting their technology. It's an incredible gift and responsibility for humanity to be the Stewards of the Asgard race. I'll miss them, and I imagine I felt a bit like Carter in how sad their demise is. But on the other hand, we got all their stuff! All the stuff they refused to give us for a decade, and suddenly it's like an Asgard bazaar. It's bittersweet. And wow, they REALLY made some kickass improvements in their weapons from a year ago. A year ago they had those pansy disruptos, now they have superphasers that fire multiple times and cut open Ori ships. That's some serious work for a year.

I have to wonder what happened to all their ships. Did they self destruct them all? Why not pass them over to us? I suppose that can be a plot line for a later episode or something.

The core didn't appear to be destroyed, so the knowledge of the Asgard is in tact. I think they just have to keep it offline, which is fine. They can study the hell out of it, upgrade all the ships, then turn them all on at once and mow down the Ori fleet. It's just so sad the way we had to get that knowledge, and how horribly ABRUPT it was. Talk about your deux es machina, I mean jeez. While I don't think we'll see it much until Ark of Truth comes out, this should have HUGE, H U G E consequences for the Stargate Atlantis crew. We should be able to totally beat the crap out of Wraith ships now. We were virtually one on one with them using nukes, now we totally have the upperhand. It changes everything.

On to the non-plot, character stuff. Daniel was insanely hard on Vala, but I understand his thought process. He thought she was just jerking him around, and he was so callous because he really, REALLY does care for her, and he likes her, and thinking all this time that she was just screwing with him hurt him, and he wasn't ready to be hurt again. What he said, he didn't believe to be callous, because he considered himself to be Vala's victim, and the moment he learned he was horribly mistaken, he decided to go for it. To be honest, I like them together. I guessed they were the pair getting together, mostly because it made the most sense, but also because I love their chemistry, and I'd be thrilled to see them star in the third series.

Seeing Mitchell crack wasn't really a surprise. He's the kind of person that needs to be DOING something. Sam had her research, even Daniel studied while farmer Landry tended to his chlorophriends. I loved seeing them all laughing together and enjoying just the company of their friendships. It was sad, after 50 years to see them dour and defeated, but they endured, as friends, in incredible circumstances. I wonder if that was really Amanda Tapping playing the cello. I doubt it, as they never showed her face, but on the other hand, why would they both adding the scene in if they had to fake it?

I think this was a good sendoff for the show, and I just can't believe it's really over. Given this development, Season 11 would have been so cool! We'll just have to take out all our SG1 love on Atlantis, and buy the crap out of the DVDs to ensure more Daniel.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:
And then he pretended he hadn't thought it was really going to hurt her.
Actually, I don't think he was exactly pretending. But I don't care for Lunkhead!Daniel anymore than I care for Lunkhead!Clark. [Razz]

Then again, if they were trying to make sure I miss Daniel a little bit less . . . [Roll Eyes]

Okay, so not pretending. But you know what I mean. If he's that stupid SHE shouldn't get involved with HIM.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
What he said, he didn't believe to be callous, because he considered himself to be Vala's victim, and the moment he learned he was horribly mistaken, he decided to go for it.
Typical. Soooo typical. Men. [Grumble] [Wink] [Razz]

quote:
clorophriends
Awesomest. Made-up word. Ever. [Big Grin]
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
Typical. Soooo typical. Men. [Grumble] [Wink] [Razz]

True. Made my point for me, though. The one I was going to make in response to your post one up. [Wink]
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Oh come on, it IS Vala. The woman is so full of sexual double entendre and double crossing, he's not sure what to believe. And he still misses his wife. He didn't seriously believe that she had feelings for him. But he did care for her. I think he was callous as a defensive measure, because he didn't want to let himself believe what she was saying, as it was too big a risk for him.

But seeing her obvious emotion, he knew that he was horribly wrong, and thus he could induldge in his feelings, and with her having already thrown the door open, he stepped through.

Certainly wasn't the best way he could have handled himself, and I thought it was rather excessive on the Vala bashing, but given her prior behavior, I can excuse his conclusions, though not his behavior.

Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
Oh come on, it IS Vala. The woman is so full of sexual double entendre and double crossing, he's not sure what to believe. And he still misses his wife. He didn't seriously believe that she had feelings for him. But he did care for her. I think he was callous as a defensive measure, because he didn't want to let himself believe what she was saying, as it was too big a risk for him.

But seeing her obvious emotion, he knew that he was horribly wrong, and thus he could induldge in his feelings, and with her having already thrown the door open, he stepped through.

Certainly wasn't the best way he could have handled himself, and I thought it was rather excessive on the Vala bashing, but given her prior behavior, I can excuse his conclusions, though not his behavior.

Word.
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

8 years. And what, three or four other relationships? That stuff about his wife was an excuse, and not a very good one.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

What relationships? All I remember were very, very short lived flings.

edit to add: I have a list!

• Shar'ae - His wife
  • Chick he hooked up with in the Broca Divide when he was a caveman
  • Hathor, when she had him under her control via pheremones
  • Shyla, chick he got with initially to get his team mates out of a naquadah mine but eventually became attached to because of the sarcophagus in "Need." After the link was broke, so too was the relationship
  • Ke'ra, ended up being Linea, the evil "Destroyer of Worlds" chick who he sort of developed feelings for, but after he found out who it was, any and all romance evaporated between them. In the end he ended up leaving her with no memories of him.
  • Sarah Gardner, okay, this is the only real argument I see for a romantic entanglement. But before they had a chance to get ANY sort of relationship going, she was taken for a host, and after she was freed they never spoke again. Again, nothing more than a crush that went nowhere.
  • Reese, some might call that a romantic relationship, but quite frankly it always had more of a father daughter tilt to me.
  • Leda, woman he spends a lot of time with on a planet when he's left there for months. But she has a husband, and though she develops feelings for him, nothing actually comes of it.
  • Vala in Prometheus Unbound, assuming they did have sex, I don't think it was consensual.
  • Adria, obviously not a relationship, even if they got together. He used her.

The pattern I think is clear. Short lived crushes that never went anywhere, almost always because he was either being coersed or because his own head got in the way of it becoming anything more. He always held himself back, until "Unending."

[ March 14, 2007, 11:56 PM: Message edited by: Lyrhawn ]

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
I wonder if that was really Amanda Tapping playing the cello.
Nope.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Thanks riv. I like the allusion they made to having to wait a year to see the hits that missed during the staff fights.

I hope that means we'll get to see some outtakes in the DVD where Teal'c and Mitchell are really beating up on each other.

I find myself really lookin forward to the movies next September, and for the next season of Atlantis. What I really want is a huge battle of Daedelus ships with the Asgard weapons blowing the crap out of some Wraith Hive Ships, but we'll see. I can't imagine they will let the legacy of the Asgard die on the Odyssey.

rivka
Member # 4859

I just rewatched Unending, and I have one question.

What the heck is the deal with the little tiara Valla's wearing in the final scene?

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Tiara? *goes to look*
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Dangit.

*has to find it somewhere else*

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I don't want to post a link here, but the aforementioned piggymoo has had their link yanked, but you can find it by searching the OTHER site that was mentioned on Hatrack for viewing television shows. It's still there, and was just added.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Yeah, that's on my bookmarks too. First link I tried was broken. Second works and even has captions-- suh-weet! (I prefer to watch everything with captions.) But this one, you can't fast forward very efficiently. So it will be a while till I get back to you on "tiara thing."
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

And it keeps freezing when I get to a certain point. [Mad]

I'll try tomorrow morning. If it's still up.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Yeah the captions annoyed me a bit, they weren't even right! And it kept stopping for me when Carter was talking about .86 seconds.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Well, I didn't get to the point where the captions were wrong. And I'm used to much wrong-er captions on some things, anyway, so it probably wouldn't bother me (as I said, I like captions. I can watch things while Ems is asleep with the sound down to 1 or 2 and keep it that way a little longer.)
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Well that's helpful [Smile]

I used to watch tv shows all the time with the French language option turned on, and the English subtitles (or vice versa) when I was studying for French classes.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

It is helpful. I can also watch things with words like "stupid" and "dork" that I don't want her picking up.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

What's wrong with dork? I mean, you watch Stargate. You ARE a dork. [Razz]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Yes, but not-yet-three-year-olds are not known for their discernment of when usage of certain words is appropriate.

We've already gone through a phase where she called everyone "jerk" for a week. And when she really wants to be rebellious she looks at me, looks studiously away, and then mutters, "Stupid." under her breath.

So we're trying to curb her exposure to even the words that have legitimate usages if we don't want her repeating them.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Oh I was just kidding. [Wink]

I can only imagine if I had a kid and he/she called me stupid what my reaction would be. Or how embarassed I'd be if he/she said it to a strange or another adult in my company.

You're a good mom. [Smile]

I've actually been having strange dreams lately where I have a daughter and I'm married. Every time I have the dream, I'm fiercely protective of the kid and overjoyed whenever I'm holding her, and then I wake up with a "What the hell was that?" feeling. On the surface it would look like I want a kid, and when I'm older and married, I really do look forward to being a dad, but certainly not now. Anyway.... [/random musing]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Awwwww.

Maybe your biological clock is starting to tick. Go call a girl and ask her on a date, you! [Taunt]

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Eek! Men aren't supposed to have biological clocks. It's one of the benefits I was told about when I was given my Man Card upon hitting puberty.

I remember it clearly, they said "No biological clock, no periods, no worrying about your makeup, you're all set! You just have to put up with women complaining all the time about you not taking out the garbage, but we invented baseball for that, which lasts forever. Enjoy life!"

Still. In all honesty, I'm starting to like the dream. If I could stop being so picky about the type of girl I want, I could probably have that dream made into a reality sooner rather than later. But where are all the smart, bookish, at least semi-attractive, geeky early 20 something girls of the world?

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

That's so sweet. I know some nice girls if you want their e-mails... [Razz]
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Heh. If I lived in Cali, I might take you up on that. If ever there were three words of the English language that could best be described as sorrow, they are "long distance relationship." I've found at least one girl who is everything I want and more, but she's too far away.

On the bright side, I'm only 22, and my whole life is ahead of me. And I expect those geeky girls I'm attracted to, who are avoiding the bar scene right now (as am I), will be flocking to Match.com and similar sites in the next couple years, at which point I'll be on the electronic prowl.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

*dated a guy who lived halfway across the country and married him at 20* [Razz]
Carrie
Member # 394

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
But where are all the smart, bookish, at least semi-attractive, geeky early 20 something girls of the world?

[Wave]
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Hi there [Smile]
rivka
Member # 4859

Get a thread, kids. [Razz]
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Question about SG1:

So, I'm in season 9 now.

Does anybody know why Anderson left the show when he did? If they were going to get rid of him, why not do it at the end of season 7?

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

They didn't do it to get rid of him. He wanted to spend more time with his daughter who was back in LA, and the show films in Vancouver, which cuts down on father daughter time. Besides, had they done that, we wouldn't have gotten season 8, which would have been a travesty. They didn't want him to leave at all, but he said it was time to go, so off he went.

His guest appearances in 9, 10 and maybe the movies are all done, seriously, with the permission of his daughter. He only agreed to do guest appearances after she gave her okay (and apparently even forcefully told him to go do it, as she loves the show).

rivka
Member # 4859

And FYI, he is almost never referred to as Anderson. It's Dean Anderson (I don't know why), or RDA.

It actually took me a minute to figure out who you meant.

Carrie
Member # 394

Hello yourself. [Wink]

---

I call him "Rick." You know, when I hang out with him and stuff.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

He let's ME call him Macgyver when we're hanging out.

Guess he just likes me better. [Smile]

Carrie
Member # 394

Yes, well, my buddy Rick is going to be in "Continuum."

And he likes me best - he told me so. [Razz]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

He answers to "love slave"...

Oh, wait, that's not real. [Wink] [Razz]

rivka
Member # 4859

What are you kids drinking/smoking?

And can I have some?

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Update to confirm:

RDA WILL be in the second direct DVD movie Continuum. He's going with a small crew to film at an ice station in the Arctic next week.

The crew is making a big to do about the fact that this is apparently the biggest such production in the Arctic, and with the full cooperation of the US Navy, who among the other branches of the US Armed Forces, Stargate has always had a great relationship with, they're all excited to be able to use the USS Alexandria, a real life nuclear submarine in active service. Apparently our nuclear sub fleet doesn't have anything better to do [Wink]

Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
I watched the finale...kind of disappointing. Nothing happened! I know that the movies are supposed to wrap up the storylines, but still. It was fun, though. And not nearly so cringe-worthy as Moebius (despite its disturbing similarity).

SPOILERS FOR SG1 SERIES FINALE
At the end, when Vala tried questioning Teal'c about who she 'hooked up' with, she asks if it was Teal'c, then Mitchell, then Landry...I really wanted her to list Carter, too. [Razz]

Also, when they were in the time bubble, trying to figure out how to escape the blast, why not just use the sublight engines to move out of the way.
END SPOILERS

Knowing Jack is coming back makes me happy. [Smile]

Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
I really wanted her to list Carter, too.
[ROFL] Such a GUY thing.

quote:
why not just use the sublight engines to move out of the way.

Too slow-- the eventual solution involved a fix to let them do that, I think.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

The problem was coming up with a way to immediately jump to hyperspace AND take the Asgard core offline at the same time, otherwise they were going to be dead the next time they came out of hyperspace anyway.

edited to add:

I've spent some time reading back entries of Joseph Mallozzi's blog. There's a lot of answers and not answers in there for the SG1 movies and for the next season of Atlantis. He makes Atlantis S4 sound VERY exciting, so I'm actually looking forward to it a bit more than I was before.

Also listed was a potential fun story for Firefly fans. They started doing table reads for Atlantis at the request of the actors, which they've never done before. Mallozzi said that partway through one of them, David Hewlett (McKay) said to Jewel Staite (New Doctor) "You're not a real doctor." to which she replied "I'm a mechanic, not a doctor."

[ March 19, 2007, 06:22 AM: Message edited by: Lyrhawn ]

Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
<---Not a guy. [Smile]

Just think it would have been a good laugh. We are talking about Vala.

I still don't understand the rationale. If the entire ship is in the time bubble (and the time bubble is based on the ship), they would have had all the time in the world to move the ship a few hundred yards while the rest of the universe is still essentially frozen.

Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I didn't say you were a guy-- just acting like one!

(My husband said the same. Exact. Thing.)

This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  16  17  18   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.