FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Heroes 4 (Page 5)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Heroes 4
Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
quote:
Originally posted by T:man:
I think he has to will the power to be absorbed.

That's not the way it worked on the plane. He accidentally touched Tracy, gained the freezing power and lost his super strength. Of course maybe this is something he can learn to control like her learned to control his original power.
He touched Matt and Mohinder and maintained the flying ability during the time they were together. I'm not entirely clear what happened on the plane, but maybe he wanted Tracy's power for some reason? Super strength wasn't the most useful at that point.

I definitely did not get the impression that he automatically got the powers of anyone he touched.

Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
swbarnes2
Member # 10225

- posted      Profile for swbarnes2           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by hansenj:
quote:
I wasn't clear what happened to Daphne in the end. It was clear she was still in serious condition in the hospital, but I didn't get the impression she was dead.
There were zeros on all the monitors. It was pretty clear to me.
No, next week they'll say that her super-speedy heart was beating so fast, it only looked like a heart rate of 0 on all the monitors.
Posts: 575 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Danko is Old School. I loved the shaving brush and double edged razor.
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sylvrdragon
Member # 3332

- posted      Profile for sylvrdragon   Email sylvrdragon         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think we have to worry about the Triplets. One was Traci, one was Micah's mom, and the other was her long-dead sister. (The latter two names escape me)

Of course, I wouldn't put it past them for sis to not be dead after all...

One thing I was disappointed in was how it had (in the previous episodes epilogue) shown Sylar waiting in Danko's living room in the shadows. I guess they changed their minds.

Posts: 636 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think they forgot about it. Sylar delivered the puppet-man to Danko, which is what I think he was doing in the apartment. He's playing a game with him, and from the previews it looks like he'll be using/working with Danko in the near future.
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeorge
Member # 11524

- posted      Profile for Jeorge           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by sylvrdragon:
I don't think we have to worry about the Triplets. One was Traci, one was Micah's mom, and the other was her long-dead sister. (The latter two names escape me)

I think the long-dead sister was not her "real" sister, so we may have yet another incarnation of Traci to look forward to. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 324 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

- posted      Profile for Armoth   Email Armoth         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked that Walt was Rebel. I mean Micah...

I feel like it is taking forever for Heroes to heal. Like has been said before, they are introducing new limitations and fixing the holes. Peter has one power, Parkman's mental draining, Hiro, etc.

But they don't need to do certain things. That scene where Ando's power becomes active? Totally unnecessary and just annoying.

I thought they would introduce Barbara before offing Traci, but ::shrug:: Heroes needs to work on relationships more and plot less...

Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
That scene where Ando's power becomes active? Totally unnecessary and just annoying.
In what way? We already knew he was going to be able to do that from when he did it to Hiro in the future. We just don't know what exactly it is that he's doing.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jeorge:
quote:
Originally posted by sylvrdragon:

I think the long-dead sister was not her "real" sister, so we may have yet another incarnation of Traci to look forward to. [Roll Eyes]
I don't know. I think Jessica was really her sister, who she thought was her twin sister. And she died and became Nikki's alternate personality. That leaves Tracy. But she did wink, so I don't think she's dead.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

Did she wink? I thought she cried. I thought that was a tear that rolled down her cheek.
Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure that was a wink. Either way it suggests she's not dead yet.
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

Just watched it back. It was a blink and a tear. Or a wink and some water dripping down her cheek.

If it is the former, she might still be alive, but it might suggest she is dead, and it'd be a poetic way to end her life...

Jeorge
Member # 11524

Once there was a time when it was guaranteed that when I checked Hatrack on Tuesday morning, the Heroes thread would be bumped to the top of the page with discussions about the previous night's episode.

Those days seem to be over...

Posts: 324 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

I watched it. Wasn't much o say. We're back to the season 1 Syler that I think should have died in season 1. Hiro and Ando were, once again, absent, and the show suffered for it. Angela's babbling confession in church came contrary to everything she's ever done. Nathan is once again sorry for screwing up. Inconsistency is perhaps the one consistent thing in the show.

Oh, and Syler can shape shift. Just what we needed. It seems that the only place the writers can handle too much power is in the bad guy. They can give him shape shifting and won't let Hiro have teleportation? Give me a break!

Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Magson
Member # 2300

- posted      Profile for Magson   Email Magson         Edit/Delete Post 
/agree with Christine. There isn't much to say. It's all so muddled and murky anymore, and Sylar should have died at the end of Season 1.
Posts: 1323 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
I disagree. Sylar should have focused on developing his own sense of self and morality and ended up with Elle. That had the beginnings of an interesting, thoughtful story line. So of course they killed it.
Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

quote:
Originally posted by AvidReader:
I disagree. Sylar should have focused on developing his own sense of self and morality and ended up with Elle. That had the beginnings of an interesting, thoughtful story line. So of course they killed it.

That story line pissed me off so much I am trying to block it out. The thing is I hated Syler for 2 seasons straight and for a few episodes in season 3 they start to make me care about him, even like him a bit and maybe think he's a human being. Then, for no apparent reason they rip it all away.

Rumor is that one of the big first season writers is back...it seems he's trying to get back his vision of Syler. His course now reminds me of the episode where Hiro goes 5 years in the future...Syler shape changed into the president, they're rounding up people with powers, and he wants nothing more than to be the only one left. Pretty shallow and unimaginative.

Plus, what in the world happened to that punk sidekick of his?

0Megabyte
Member # 8624

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think the season one writer was there at all during the first half of season 3. He wasn't there for the thing with Elle. I'm not even sure he's back for these episodes yet anyway.

They were written awhile ago, after all, and the writer didn't come back until quite recently. In fact, he didn't rejoin the team until the writing of episode 20, which hasn't aired yet, so his influence isn't back in the least.

So... uh, yeah. Don't blame him. He wrote back when the series was good, anyway, and not when it started to suck...

[ March 31, 2009, 07:09 PM: Message edited by: 0Megabyte ]

Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked this episode quite a bit. I thought it was a good use of Claire's power to drink the guys under the table. I mean, if the only reason for the writers to use "abilities" is to advance the plot, you're missing out on a lot of opportunities. Likewise, Hiro and the wheelbarrow returned to the likeable Hiro we met in the first season.

I also thought Noah seeing Sylar dead was a good bit of writing. They can do a lot with that. And I liked that Danko is using the "one of us, one of them" while still berating Noah for being naive about trusting "terrorists"

Personally, I didn't mind Sylar being a good guy, but I hated the way he became evil again. They could have done a lot with his character involving shades of gray and backsliding into addiction, but they just threw it all away with one cheap ending.

And yeah, I wonder where his sidekick went.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I was happy with this episode until I realized they just forgot about his sidekick. I don't think the problem is with this version of Sylar, the problem was their random decision to make him good in season 3.0.

I do think Sylar can and should eventually become better (not necessarily good) but Season 3.0 was too much too fast.

Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Glenn Arnold:
I liked this episode quite a bit. I thought it was a good use of Claire's power to drink the guys under the table.

Really. And a regenerating liver keeps her from getting drunk exactly how?
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

I think the *regenerating liver* was more of a random guess on Claire's part, but I think it's perfectly reasonably for a fake genetic mutation that instantly regenerates tissue to also protect the body from toxins.

Seriously, if you're gonna complain about fake science, you're watching the wrong show.

[ March 31, 2009, 11:11 PM: Message edited by: Raymond Arnold ]

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Thats a TV trope itself [Smile]

I liked the episode, and I dont think Mama Petrelli's confession was at all contrary, I think of it as VillainBreakdown/BSOD shes lost EVERYTHING and realizes finally, its all HER fault for being a magnificent bastard and now with her heel face turn is ready to join the good guys in saving the day.

Wow, I couldnt have fit more tropes into that even if I tried.

TV Tropes will ruin your life.

I think there's more to Sylar then is being let on, the think the encounter with his father has made him realize or wish to realize something, and this is All Part of the Plan.

And You know, I Effing Called it! They're showing us that the future cant nessasarily be changed or if it can its like Terminator syndrome and they cana djust the future or keep putting off a really bad event but the timeline will keep trying to fix itself, this IS season one, we're seeing the pieces of it all coming back into place, the rounding up of people with powers, Hiro and Peter becomming freedom fighters, syler becomming hidden president crouching badass.

Awesome.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

In Terminator, it actually makes a degree of sense. (In the third movie they just rant about Destiny all the time but so far I think the way it's playing out in the TV show is fairly realistic).

There are many people in the world working on artificial intelligence. There are many people in the government who'd like to better integrate artificial intelligence with military technology. You'd have to kill all those people to prevent Skynet from being born.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think there's more to Sylar then is being let on
See I wish there wasn't, I was sorta interested in is forays to the good side, but his total conversion to being evil just completely turned me off to the show.

I am reconvinced that Sylar should have simply died when Hiro stabbed him, and that the show had simply gone in a completely different direction.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

I am merely reconvinced that writers should not write badly. Sylar could have been perfectly interesting if Season 2-3.0 hadn't been just plain dumb.
sylvrdragon
Member # 3332

- posted      Profile for sylvrdragon   Email sylvrdragon         Edit/Delete Post 
I like this Sylar. I really do.

I find it ironic how people can complain about characters being too static and predictable one minute, and then turn around and complain that they're too dynamic the next. The way I look at it, he was experimenting with being "Good" like a teenager might experiment with [fill in the blank]. It just didn't take. TRYING to change, and CHANGING are two completely different things. I don't think Sylar ever changed. Now Angela Petrelli on the other hand; I think she's changing (or at least trying to), and so is Nathan for that matter.

The twists in this episode amused me so greatly, that for the first time in a long time, I ended the episode with a big stupid giddy smile on my face. That expression is usually reserved for House and especially witty episodes of Dexter or Breaking Bad. That I could experience that again with this show brought me great joy and hope for future episodes.

I'm also very intrigued by the above theory of the "Terminator time-line" phenomenon. I foresee another "Cat's Cradle" room in this show's near future.

Posts: 636 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
Thats a TV trope itself [Smile]

First panel.
Marek
Member # 5404

- posted      Profile for Marek   Email Marek         Edit/Delete Post 
I personally wish they could get some where that Peter could experiment with his powers. I wonder if he tried to take Sylar's powers would he get all of them, or just Sylar's original power, or maybe just one random power?

If he got Sylar's original power and used it to acquire another one, either through opening their head, or through empathy (how Sylar took Elle's power) then would he retain that power permanently, or lose it next time he took an ability through touch?

Or could Ando charge Peter up enough that he could hold onto more than one power? And if so would the powers begin fading the second Ando was no longer touching him?

I know there is pretty much no way to write any of this into the show, those types experiments probably belong back in the old days of the company, maybe when Bob was running things, he seemed to like human experiments. Still I wonder about the possibilities.

Also Sylar sent his sidekick away during their trip to the old diner where he lost the toy car as a child, and his mother died. The real question is what will happen when that kid pops up on a list to be captured, as he is someone Sylar at least wants left alive it seems.

Posts: 2332 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

They've really dropped the ball on Ando. He's supposed to enhance people's powers and they didn't even pair him up with Hiro so that he could teleport in their last episode together. Instead, they turned his power into a weapon. If they would get these people TOGETHER and keep them there (like I thought they were going to do earlier in the season), then they could organize a resistance that could really work -- all their powers complimenting one another. They could be the ringleaders and there could be others....there doesn't seem to be a shortage of people with powers out there. These guys are just the "in" crowd. You get Ando and Peter together and they could seriously kick some tush.

As for whether or not there's more going on with Syler ... I considered this possibility while I was watching on Monday. I won't go so far as to say I hope so, because I've given up hoping on this show, but I would be pleased by such a turn. Certainly, the potential is still there for Syler to be more than what he seems to be right now.

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
quote:
I think there's more to Sylar then is being let on
See I wish there wasn't, I was sorta interested in is forays to the good side, but his total conversion to being evil just completely turned me off to the show.

I am reconvinced that Sylar should have simply died when Hiro stabbed him, and that the show had simply gone in a completely different direction.

Dont know why my post didnt go through but my thouights are that this doesn't follow.

Your basically saying that you WISH and or prefer that Sylar remain a 2 dimensional character but you liked it when he did recieve character development but wish it never happened and that he'ld go away for remaining a 2 dimensional character.

The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Your basically saying that you WISH and or prefer that Sylar remain a 2 dimensional character but you liked it when he did recieve character development but wish it never happened and that he'ld go away for remaining a 2 dimensional character.
I think the issue is that characters aren't really able to hold peoples interest unless they develop, and random poorly explained changes in behavior aren't the same as character development.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeorge
Member # 11524

quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
I think the issue is that characters aren't really able to hold peoples interest unless they develop, and random poorly explained changes in behavior aren't the same as character development.

yes yes yes yes yes.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

i dont think has been changing randomly or unexplained, i think this is something we need to wait a little for.
Jeorge
Member # 11524

But asking us to wait requires some degree of trust that the writers actually have something reasonable, logical and satisfying up their sleeves. Perhaps you trust them, but in the past couple seasons of this show, I haven't seen much that would lead me to have that kind of trust.

Maybe they'll surprise me.

At this point I mostly just watch the show because a friend of mine does, and it gives us an excuse to get together and hang out.

Armoth
Member # 4752

Is it sad that I really enjoyed that bit of acting when Peter prayed to God? I know it may be cliche, but still...
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
I am very tempted to ask for this thread to be closed. Heroes is no longer worth it.
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I will lose all respect for you as a human being if you do so, I enjoy heroes other people like it, if you don't then dont look at the thread, not like were insulting you.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I will lose all respect for you as a human being if you do so
Wow. Coming from a Mao fanboy, that's really something. [Wink]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Could be worse, I could lose all respect for him as my food.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I shudder to imagine the quantities of ketchup that might be involved. *grin*
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Phanto:
I am very tempted to ask for this thread to be closed. Heroes is no longer worth it.

That's like asking for the heroes seasons 2 and 3 threads to be closed.

It's a series that passed into the 'so bad it's fun' category. In each forum that talks about heroes, the response is the same: people love love love to complain about the show. It's legit entertainment.

Plus there's a hope (however slim) that it's on the up-and-up, so

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
quote:

That's like asking for the heroes seasons 2 and 3 threads to be closed.

It's a series that passed into the 'so bad it's fun' category. In each forum that talks about heroes, the response is the same: people love love love to complain about the show. It's legit entertainment.

Plus there's a hope (however slim) that it's on the up-and-up, so

Is that why I keep watching it? [Smile]

I have to say that I'm actually enjoying the show more now than I did during the 2nd and 3rd seasons. At that time, I kept hoping the show would make a turn for the better and it frustrated me every time it didn't. Now, with no expectations, I'm just enjoying the simple, inane, wish-fulfillment fantasy that's the entire reason I started watching the show in the first place.

Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't watch a lot of TV. Heck, I'll come out and say it, the only show I watch week in and out is Heroes. I don't think its particularly good, and it has given me ample reasons to stop watching it (I think the low for me was when Peter took Sylar's "hunger" for all of two episodes and then forgot about it, and the whole Catalyst thing). And yet, as has been mentioned, I do keep coming back for more punishment. I love to complain about it, to be upset about it, etc etc.
My question is this: Is there another show like this? How unique is Heroes in this phenomenon of only having one semi-good season and the next three being sucky with no real sign of change, and people still watching it? And I ask out of genuine curiosity. Is there another prime-time show that has or does fit this MO?

Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Bryan Fuller will save us.
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I miss Jericho.
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
Not really going to ask for this thread to be shut. But Sylar getting shapeshifting hits a raw nerve. Don't know why.
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

quote:
Not really going to ask for this thread to be shut. But Sylar getting shapeshifting hits a raw nerve. Don't know why.

For me, the biggest reason is because they've given Peter and Hiro shadows of their former power and left Syler uber-powerful and getting stronger by the episode.
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

Thing is, it's perfectly okay for the bad guy to be uber powerful. They're the bad guy. Stopping them is supposed to be hard. When good guys are that powerful the show just can't be interesting without them also being really stupid.

I'd rather have a smart, appropriately powerful Peter and Hiro than the dumb original versions. Meanwhile, Sylar being crazy powerful doesn't hamper the story at all. In fact I'd say it makes it more interesting, since it will take multiple heroes acting intelligently to take him down. The only thing that DOES bother me is his immunity to mental powers. I wouldn't mind this if they just explained it, that yes, he DID in fact take the brain of someone whose power was simply being immune to mind-manipulation.

Shape shifting doesn't bother me. It makes him harder to stop, yes, but also requires both him and his opponents to act more intelligent for it to be interesting.

Armoth
Member # 4752

Shape shifting doesn't bother me because he is too powerful. It bothers me because I don't want to take away from the acting. They can pretty much replace the current actor and just say that the new guy is Sylar. I hope that isn't what they have in mind.
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.