FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Heroes 4 (Page 7)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Heroes 4
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Christine:
[Frown] [Frown] [Frown]

And HORRIBLE AWFUL BLONDE CHICK ISN'T DEAD! [Frown] [Frown] [Frown]

You thought she was? Honestly, what does her eye blinking mean to you?
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
>>>Yes, you can. You do this by making the antagonists just as intelligent as the protagonists. It's just that the writers are incapable of writing such a plot.

Not unless the antagonists ALSO have time powers (or have such broad reaching, manipulative deceptive designs that the main characters can't figure out what's going on at all. Intelligent good guy with time powers = bad guys cannot accomplish anything. Ever. At all. And antagonists with time powers = an entire show that's basically about nothing but time travel. We already had that for two (three?) seasons and the only way to shift the show's focus to something else is to drastically gimp the time travel capabilities.

>>>A Hiro that requires either Ando's power ups to be fully effective, OR requires significant rest between usages of his timey-freezy power can be usable with the plot and him not holding the Idiot ball.

Exactly. I think they've brought Hiro to a point where he CAN do the cool things often enough to be cool, without requiring ludicrously intelligent and/or powerful villains (and writers) to be worth watching.

Hiro and Peter might get their powers back in the final season, but not before then.

Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Actually you could make a show with intelligent Heroes with time powers, just look to video games, Chrono Trigger I think handled some of the aspect pretty well.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
It really seems like Ando has entirely forgotten that his power is to supercharge people, not to blast them with red sparks.

I can't say I especially liked this episode, but whatever. I'm kinda pissed they decided to call it "The Company" again after they had already said "This isn't a Company, its a family." I thought "The Family" would've sounded really cool.

So will Season 5 take the perspective of The Compnay or will it follow individuals around as they act stupid?

Oh, and how long will they be able to stay away from having Zachary Quinto dominate the air time?

Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I think next to Hiro Sylar was one of the best characters when the writers knew what they wanted.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

I was so happy about him overcoming his evil side and becoming a decent human being. And then the writers went, "Psyche!" They suck.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
quote:
[Frown] [Frown] [Frown]

Farewell. I knew I was being naive at the time, but I did hope...
Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Raymond Arnold:
>>>Yes, you can. You do this by making the antagonists just as intelligent as the protagonists. It's just that the writers are incapable of writing such a plot.

Not unless the antagonists ALSO have time powers (or have such broad reaching, manipulative deceptive designs that the main characters can't figure out what's going on at all. Intelligent good guy with time powers = bad guys cannot accomplish anything. Ever. At all. And antagonists with time powers = an entire show that's basically about nothing but time travel. We already had that for two (three?) seasons and the only way to shift the show's focus to something else is to drastically gimp the time travel capabilities.

You do have to tweak the antagonist to fit the protagonist. You can't have a time stopping hero go after simple thugs. But powerful heroes have long come with powerful villains and this is an accepted and, IMO, highly enjoyable dynamic. You start them with simpler villains as they get the hang of their power then, as they come into it, you give them increasingly greater challenges.

Instead, they gave him a nose bleed. I'm sorry, but watching Hiro get yanked around by the writers season after season isn't fun. Memory loss...loss of powers...regaining partial power...getting seizures...these types of gimmicks can work sparingly, but they have consumed all of Hiros' character and I'm fed up with them. They used similar ones on Peter as well, but they managed to find a livable compromise in his character. I actually think they've balanced Peter rather well. Even if they felt the need to eliminate time travel (which I could blame them for entirely), why can't they just give him his time stopping power and let good bad guys supply the rest?

Oh yeah, because they can't write.

Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Instead of going through this whole Sylar-as-Nathan rigamarole, which is doomed to fail, why didn't they just inject Nathan's corpse with Claire's blood? Seemed to work pretty well for HRG a season or two ago.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

It only works once. It's like a spell.
DevilDreamt
Member # 10242

- posted      Profile for DevilDreamt   Email DevilDreamt         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope they stop introducing new characters next season and just focus on the existing cast.

I really want the show to have a Batman-type character (someone who's highly intelligent and doesn't have super powers). For most of the show, Noah has filled this role, but they occasionally forgot to make him awesome. I was glad to see him getting his edge back at the end of this season.

As much as this season failed at the start, I liked the ending. Heck, I liked it more than the ending of season one (which was very lame IMO, they just kind of threw all the heroes together and then Nicki hits Sylar with a parking meter for no reason...).

If they manage to gain consistency in plot and characters, and they actually remember what happens in previous episodes, I think the next season will be good (or at least better).

Posts: 247 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
quote:
[Frown] [Frown] [Frown]

And in Ask Ausiello today, there was this:

Question: You were right: The Heroes finale was fantastic. Any scoop on season 4? --Eric
Ausiello: Tracy's whole revenge arc will serve as a centerpiece of next all's "Redemption" volume.

Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
HRG: Oh sh--
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.