FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Heroes 4 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Heroes 4
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
Well?
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pissed, how could a bunch of spec. ops get into japan with weapons and kidnap a Japanese citizen. Not to mention he's the CEO of a billion dollar software corporation.
Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
At least it's mildly interesting.

But come on Peter. After what your dad did, and what you KNEW Nathan was planning, why in the name of logic would you even CONSIDER hugging him you twit? Have the writers decided to change most every dynamic of the show EXCEPT your blatant stupidity?!

Thank God they're at least shooting stuff and giving me eye candy, otherwise I'd turn it off in disgust.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
its on now first episode is availiable?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I like how they all are about to get lost on an island...

(Seriously, I literally started hitting the coffee table with my roommates pillow over and over again, screaming, until I was too tired to scream anymore. This episode began with reasonable hope and then became so stupid so fast...)

Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Reading this, I think I'm glad that I decided to stop watching.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

well you have to admit that it is *somewhat* better than before.
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

It's a LOT better than before.

They aren't just standing around talking and plotting and talking about plotting and blah blah blah just shut up and do something!

They just totally reset the show, forgot most of the old alliances, and launched us into X-Men round 'em up mode in one episode. And not a moment too soon. If they weren't going to do what they were doing before correctly, they might as well try and do Marvel half heartedly. I can get something out of that.

Question though, why did Peter need to touch Mohinder to get his powers? It looked a lot more like when his father takes other people's powers than it did just copying them. I assume Mohinder still has his strength. Speaking of which, when did Mohinder get strength but lose the hideous insect scales and what not? I don't recall that.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
here I made heroes season 4 into a picture using my advanced graphic design skills.

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/1825/heroesgoanrx8.jpg

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
You forgot to put the Lost island in the background.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
Just add the smoke monster.

That was pretty bad. I think I'm done with this show.

Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I rather liked the new way they're taking the show. Not entirely consistent, but I knew going into it that this would have to be the case. If they give me a good season, I'll accept whatever rules they put in place starting now and go from there. It's nice that they're getting the heroes together, something I thought they should have done from the very first episode.

Lyrhawn - I agree with you entirely about the x-men thing. [Smile]

There are only two qualms I had with last night's show, which was nicely action-packed and gave us plenty of fun movement and eye candy:

1. Hiro still doesn't have his powers back and I really, really want him to get his powers back.

2. Peter's power seems to work differently now. I'm not sure if he's stealing powers like his father did or what's going on. I did get the impression that he doesn't just have all the powers he used to have. I'm not sure what I think about that.

Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeorge
Member # 11524

- posted      Profile for Jeorge           Edit/Delete Post 
The writers have never known what to do with Hiro and Peter. Their powers are so...powerful...that the only way they can keep them from taking over the world is to make them stupid, or make them lose their powers, or make them lose their memories.

I'm not surprised that they're not ready to give Hiro his powers back. And if Peter has to physically touch someone to get their powers, that weakens him a bit as well.

Posts: 324 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
They have to give Hiro his powers back or get rid of him.
Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
camus
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for camus   Email camus         Edit/Delete Post 
My guess is that if the person is in the middle of using his power, then Peter only needs to be around that person, otherwise Peter needs to physically touch the person to acquire the power. I get the sense too that Peter has gained an ability we haven't seen yet, based on the manner in which he responded to Nathan's questioning.

Regarding Mohinder, I remember him falling into the pool of formula that Peter had spilled out, which I'm guessing gave him the strength without the side effects.

I'm still not all that excited about the rest of this season, but I'm still interested enough in the characters to keep watching.

Posts: 1256 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

How so Camus? I just saw that interaction as Peter being somewhat stupid instead of incredibly stupid.

(He'll make it over to normal levels of intelligence when he realizes that he can pretend to agree with someone when his life is at risk.)

paigereader
Member # 2274

- posted      Profile for paigereader   Email paigereader         Edit/Delete Post 
What did they do to claire's eyebrows and why are her eyes sometimes blue and sometimes brown? Is she wearing a wig sometimes?
Why did peter go to his mom's house after claire said,"your mom and peter are planning something!"?
Why does peter talk out of the side of his mouth? did he have a stroke?
These are a few things that distracted me from the show last nite.

Posts: 204 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Magson
Member # 2300

- posted      Profile for Magson   Email Magson         Edit/Delete Post 
Mohinder dosed himself with the "catalyzed" formula and was "healed" last season even before they dosed up that marine.

Peter still seems to suffer terminal stupidity. when they showed that seat with a person in it fall out the hole he made in the plane, I expected him to fly out after and save the person, not hang on to the net like he can't fly anymore.

Unless perhaps he now has to not only touch a person but also be in proximity to them to use the power anymore? That might explain his cryptic response to Nathan also. We'll see, I guess.

I agree that Hiro needs to have his power or to be off the show, even if it means he has to be a bit stupid/naive in order to not be completely overpowered. And I also was wondering how the FBI could go snatch a Japanese citizen from Japan -- especially one who is (admittedly low profile but still) CEO of a multi-billion yen company.

As much as I hate Sylar and think he should have died at the end of Season 1, I was actually glad to see him kicking FBI booty. I thought the story line with him finding his adoptive father was interesting too.

I can't help but wonder how Nathan got HRG in on his "round 'em up, rawhide!" scheme. And Claire now has good reason to hate both her fathers, though if the show stays true to form she'll still get all mushy for HRG anyway. She really needs some more hand-to-hand training too. As it is, she makes a big deal about "I'm gonna go do all this heroine-type butt-kicking stuff" and yet as soon as she gets into any kind of situation, she folds like a napkin. I liked that Noah at least started to show her some stuff in that one episode, but 1 lesson on swinging a club does not a fighter make, as we've seen.....

Matt also seemed to have terminal stupidity, since that 2nd drawing they looked at obviously showed him being shot through a window while looking at the pics.... and he just kept standing there until he got shot. Plus I hate that they're morphing his power into drawing the future now. Enough with that tired plot device to foreshadow already! Find another way!

I also wonder how thick clothing saved that FBI guy from Tracy's freezing power. Seemed like it not only didn't freeze him, but also his clothing warmed right up after the initial "oh noes I'm getting cold!" part. Wish I had a winter coat made out of that stuff, let me tell you.....

Posts: 1323 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

Well, NBC has said that one of the original cast members is leaving at the end of the season but
if Hiro leaves the show, I'm done.

Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeorge
Member # 11524

The more I think about it...the more I realize, any one of the original cast could leave the show and I wouldn't mind...except Hiro. If Hiro goes, I think they should just kill the show.
Posts: 324 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
camus
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for camus   Email camus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Phanto:
How so Camus? I just saw that interaction as Peter being somewhat stupid instead of incredibly stupid.

Nathan: What can you do these days?

Peter: What's the last thing you saw me do?

Nathan: You flew.

<Peter leaves without responding>

So Nathan doesn't really get an answer, which I feel is setting the audience up for an ability that we must not be expecting.

Posts: 1256 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I also wonder how thick clothing saved that FBI guy from Tracy's freezing power. Seemed like it not only didn't freeze him, but also his clothing warmed right up after the initial "oh noes I'm getting cold!" part. Wish I had a winter coat made out of that stuff, let me tell you.....
Magson, the clothing is (90% chance, not assured) going to turn out to be a power-negating substance. You can also bet dimes to dollars that they use "A Wizard Made It" as a justification, in effect, it's the product of a power-negating-substance-creating-hero already in custody.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
quote:
Magson, the clothing is (90% chance, not assured) going to turn out to be a power-negating substance. You can also bet dimes to dollars that they use "A Wizard Made It" as a justification, in effect, it's the product of a power-negating-substance-creating-hero already in custody.
Wow, I had a much simpler answer for this. Nathan knew what her power was...I'm sure he clued them in. They were probably wearing some kind of heat-generating clothing. That was what I assumed, at any rate.
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
They were awfully close to the ground at the end of the episode. And yet the pressure differential was still ripping them out the hole in the plane. Odd...
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
The thing about Peter's "new" power to take powers is that it seems he can keep only one power in him. He was kicking FBI ass after touching Mohinder, but after touching Tracy he got his ass kicked. Or was it just a convenient way to set up the episode's ending?!

Lisa, it was a veeeery pressurized plane. [Big Grin]

I hope they're not simply gonna hit the ground, call it a landing and walk unscathed... That would be truly awful writing.

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
I hope they're not simply gonna hit the ground, call it a landing and walk unscathed... That would be truly awful writing.
e.g.: Heroes
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

They were trying to make it all dramatic when Peter was hanging on to the... yellow thing... and it was breaking off. I mean, he can fly.
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Elmer's Glue:
They were trying to make it all dramatic when Peter was hanging on to the... yellow thing... and it was breaking off. I mean, he can fly.

And I can walk, but if I was caught in a tornado, I'd probably have difficulties with it.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 11614

quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
quote:

And I can walk, but if I was caught in a tornado, I'd probably have difficulties with it.
LISA JUST PWNED YOU!
Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

How is that relevant?
If he got sucked out he could just land safely on the ground. Or better yet, use his super strength and land the plane safely like superman.

Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
I too was amused at the pressure differential being maintained for so long with such a big hole. Oh, and it doesn't makes sense to me that Hiro would be on the plane with everyone else. They kidnap him in Japan, and then fly him to the United States so they can put him on a plane?
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
How is that relevant?
If he got sucked out he could just land safely on the ground. Or better yet, use his super strength and land the plane safely like superman.

I thought that when he was holding on to the netting too. Super strength, ability to fly, nigh invulnerable healing powers...what the heck is he waiting for? Give the guy some heat vision and a fortress of solitude and he's there.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
They were probably gathering all of the specials in one place and then transporting them en masse.

The idea that maybe peter can only borrow one power at a time is probable.

Ild assume that Japan being the USA's female dog for the last 50 years probably just said "sure go ahead" when asked.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

I was thinking that maybe Peter doesn't have the ability to fly right now. Maybe he only has one power at a time. We don't know how his powers work now.
Member # 11614

quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
They were probably gathering all of the specials in one place and then transporting them en masse.

The idea that maybe peter can only borrow one power at a time is probable.

Ild assume that Japan being the USA's female dog for the last 50 years probably just said "sure go ahead" when asked.

No.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
How is that relevant?

psst: he probably can't fly anymore
Marek
Member # 5404

- posted      Profile for Marek   Email Marek         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe it was just me, but I liked when peter seemed confused about freezing the plane after touching Tracy, as he had never met Tracy, and probably didn't even know Niki was dead. Seemed better than previous seasons when some characters knew things just because the audience knew them. Still a fun episode, now it is up to Peter to find Ando and Daphne, and possibly Sylar depending on if he is evil that week, to find and save the others.
Posts: 2332 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeorge
Member # 11524

The series is going to end with the discovery of a genetic key (let's call it, for the sake of argument, Anton's Key), and the realization that you can have intelligence, or you can have super powers, but you can't have both.
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

- posted      Profile for Armoth   Email Armoth         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
quote:
How is that relevant?

psst: he probably can't fly anymore
Wait, what? Why can't he fly anymore? I thought he absorbed that power. Now he has strength and freezing. Or is the new deal that he can only use one at a time?

How does that even make sense that his power should work differently now?

Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
manji
Member # 11600

- posted      Profile for manji           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Armoth:
How does that even make sense that his power should work differently now?

Why not? His father stole his powers. He got new powers when he injected himself with the formula. No one said that he would get the exact same set of powers.
Posts: 339 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Risuena
Member # 2924

- posted      Profile for Risuena   Email Risuena         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Shigosei:
I too was amused at the pressure differential being maintained for so long with such a big hole.

I was just amused by the pressure differential existing at all considering that the plane they were on is one that isn't pressurized.
Posts: 959 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

Yes, how convenient.
He injects himself and instead of getting the same power he had before, he gets a nearly identical power. [Roll Eyes]

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Well it wouldn't totally surprise me, it'd be about as silly as a lot of other things on this show.

BUT, at the same time, it would make it harder for Peter to get new powers, and thus perhaps make him a little bit less powerful, which might be good for the show.

Armoth
Member # 4752

I thought the formula taps into your genetic code in some way and expresses your code in your power. Peter's power was always that. If he lost it and injected himself it should express itself the same way - i didnt think that you could inject yourself with different serum flavors and get different powers.
Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

It looked that way in the future when everyone had powers. Like you could buy a certain power if you wanted it.
Armoth
Member # 4752

How did it look that way?

Wait, on second thought - Ando's powers in the future were different than they are now...right? He shot Hiro with like a red fire?

Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

No, it was still red lighting.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

The least positive indications for season 4: Trying Too Hard To Be Relevant, with the hardly revolutionary "keeping us safe from the terrorists, I mean, superpowers" plotline, that also appears to be headed on a (literal) crash-course into Lost territory. Someone mentioned that they might as well make next season a plot about whether or not heroes should be allowed to marry other heroes, with nathan on tv trying to pass a bill that keeps the institution of marriage safe by keeping it as a union only between two mundane humans. Bad cinematography, with too many cuts and closeups. Some characters have been reset into crude antagonistic pastiches.

Most positive indications: Lots. They dumped most of the extraneous chaff and soap-opera dynamics out of the airlock, along with Loeb. Nathan gets in a taxi with Mohinder and they have a fairly straightforward dialogue, present their points, and (gasp) agree to disagree and depart on civil terms. Watching it was surreal in the context of how dramabombish people had been acting in the prior seasons. Both Peter and Hiro have been stripped of the Plot Hole Induction superpower, which had been considered a necessary prerequisite for a new season that wouldn't suck. Sylar is looking like he's back to being a compelling character, after having shook off his Badass Decay (ref: TVTropes). Most importantly, they have hit the reset button and gone to a very simple, straightforward storyline.

Season 4 has the potential to be good. This potential is absolutely the last shot they have. Season 2 and season 3 sucked. If season 4 is not an improvement, the show is gone.

Armoth
Member # 4752

quote:
No, it was still red lighting.

Does that mean that Ando wasn't betraying him in the future, but that he was pumping him up sidekick style?
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.