FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » It doesn't do anything. That's the beauty of it. (Page 6)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: It doesn't do anything. That's the beauty of it.
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I TOLD him it'd earn him an ass kicking.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, but now we have an ACTUAL source!!! Visable proof that it WAS Wonka talking to Data at Ten Forward about a lava lamp!
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Keep it up, and that can be your epitaph. [Razz]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Mash?

Back to the Future?

It could be from ANYTHING, I mean seriously, I can see any number of characters saying that.

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Talison
Member # 7935

- posted      Profile for Talison   Email Talison         Edit/Delete Post 
I also could have sworn I had heard this quote before upon first reading the title but when I checked the first source I thought of (Megatokyo, a web comic) it was a similar line but no cigar.
However, it drove me mad enough to read through all six pages of replies [Razz]

I did my carrier duty and asked a few friends on another chat board and, like many here, they said "Willie Wonka?" but couldn't say for sure who, when, or where.

However, I will now have to put up with discussions of memes whenever I sign in there for days now *sigh*

Makes me want to put on Heather Nova: "I don't want your virus of the mind!"

Posts: 29 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"Willie Wonka?"
WAIT! Did anybody check the book? Charlie and the Chocolate Factory! DID ANYBODY CHECK THE BOOK? Tell me someone checked the book.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
I now have my coworkers on a wild goose chase. I warned them, though, not to think about it for more than 5 minutes, but now they are scourging the internet looking for it.

Oh, and now you get to remember just how frustrating this is. You're welcome.

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Just don't look at the window. Because you'll see me. But not just me. It'll be me holding a loaded sniper rifle and waving at you as I smile. Always smile.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
So*, anyone ever figure this one out?
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
What? You didn't get the memo?
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Is this your sick idea of a joke, Pops?
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
*head explodes*
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Whistle the post! Whistle the post!
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
I keep wondering if anyone ever checked Better Off Dead. Someone suggested it way back when ... but I didn't want to read 6 pages to find out if anyone ever did.

That would be too easy, though, wouldn't it?

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

I still think it's in the Princess Bride somewhere.

[Evil Laugh]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
It's neither "Better Off Dead" nor "The Princess Bride". I'm pretty positive.
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
I still think it's in an episode of M.A.S.H. called "Depressing News." I saw that episode just a few days before seeing this thread. I haven't seen it since. But, as I recall, Hawkeye built something out of tongue depressors (they got a huge shipment of tongue depressors, not the most necessary item for their needs) and someone from Stars and Stripes came to interview him about it.

Anybody have season 9 of M.A.S.H. on DVD?

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TrapperKeeper
Member # 7680

- posted      Profile for TrapperKeeper   Email TrapperKeeper         Edit/Delete Post 
Someone just tell us, or at least me. Don't care to search for it
Posts: 375 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Read my pixels:

It isn't ANYWHERE. It is a collective hallucination. Attempting to find a source will simply drive you (and everyone around you) crazy.

And Pops, this was almost as evil as the repeated "rescearch" threads. (Although I really shouldn't give you any idea. [Wink] ) *shakes fist*

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
narrativium
Member # 3230

- posted      Profile for narrativium           Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Pop:

You are evil and must be destroyed.

I will DESTROY YOU.

Posts: 1357 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeesh
Member # 9163

- posted      Profile for Jeesh           Edit/Delete Post 
Describes my brother perfectly.
Posts: 1164 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
If they find a way to include that line in Snakes on a Plane, I may be forced to break something.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Pop—

Game. Very. Over.

—Mack

(speaking of Snakes on a Plane, my reaction to this thread resurrection contained much the same language that Samuel L. Jackson is known for)

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
and here I was going to ask pop to ban whoever bumped this thread WHEN HE WAS THE ONE WHO DID IT!!!!!!
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
Haha me too! *very amused*
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Janitor
Member # 7795

- posted      Profile for Papa Janitor           Edit/Delete Post 
I could sticky it, if you all prefer....
Posts: 441 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Papa Janitor:
I could sticky it, if you all prefer....

LOL
[Evil]

I dare you! [Wink]

If we get sL and BC to post in it at the same time I am pretty sure it will get locked. [Evil] [Evil Laugh] [Evil]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Rivka. It's collective hallucination. Brought about by an evil pop culture meme. A thousand years from now our descendents will worship it as the creator.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, the memories of reading this thread and thinking "Oh, I know where that's from!" only to realize many hours and many heads asplosions later that no, in fact, I do not know where it is from. Now, I know better.

It's from hell.

Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Friday
Member # 8998

- posted      Profile for Friday   Email Friday         Edit/Delete Post 
FNORD
Posts: 148 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, please, please, please let it be in Snakes on a Plane.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

y'all suuuurrrrreeeee it's not in one of the many Dr. Who shows?

*grins*

AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
My buddy Dan swears it's an ad lib from the Kramer's Invention episode of Seinfeld. It's not in the script but is in the show.

Anyone got the DVDs? I'd love to test the claim.

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Bet you $10 it isn't. [Big Grin]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Krease
Member # 9536

- posted      Profile for Krease           Edit/Delete Post 
Spongebob.
Posts: 22 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
No thanks, Kwea. I remember someone linking to the script and proving it wasn't there. I'm sure someone thought to watch the show.

He's just so insistant, though. I want to believe him.

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone seen the movie "Van Helsing"? I remember a very similar line between Van Helsing and the inventor guy describing an invention of his that eventually turned out to have the power of the sun or something.
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jayelle
Member # 9745

- posted      Profile for Jayelle           Edit/Delete Post 
I still say it's from a blockbuster movie that was deleted from our collective memory.
Posts: 22 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Darn it Gaal! Why? WHY? I'd almost forgotten!
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seven
Member # 5367

- posted      Profile for seven           Edit/Delete Post 
Has anybody checked Spaceballs?
Posts: 46 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
signal
Member # 6828

- posted      Profile for signal   Email signal         Edit/Delete Post 
I know I shouldn't aid in the continuation of this thread, but I'll second CaySedai's vote for MASH. I saw that episode too and he was building a tower out of tongue depressors and writing all the patients' names on them. The reporter guy wanted to protray it as some representation of blah blah blah and Hawkeye said he did it for no reason, so instead of letting the reporter push his propaganda, he blew it to smithereens.

I checked imdb's quote page for MASH "Depressing News", Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Spaceballs came up with nothing. You would think a quote this important would be listed. [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 298 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure Van Helsing came out after this thread was started.

I have such a violent internal reaction every time i see this thread bumped.

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
when this thread first started, i was *sure* i knew where the quote was from, and that eventually i'd remember.

Now i'm so sure the quote comes from nothing that i actually have trouble imagining what i thought it sounded like in the first place.

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
What the frak is this thread doing on the front page?!?!?

Make it stop!

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Stop. In the name of... uh... Carrie?! [Big Grin]
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

[Mad]

I will hurt the next person who bumps this thread.

. . . oh, wait. >_<

Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
"That's the beauty of it," was a line in the movie 'Amazing Grace'.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

[Wink]
  This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.