FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » How did you adjust to living with someone? (Page 6)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: How did you adjust to living with someone?
tt&t
Member # 5600

- posted      Profile for tt&t   Email tt&t         Edit/Delete Post 
commitment.

now how did I get forget that one?

oops.

___

Yep protective not possessive is good [Smile]

Posts: 1431 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
On the toilet seat note: I explained my phobia of spraying toilet germs to my husband once, reminded him two or three times, and ever since he has not had a problem putting both the seat AND the lid down. And I started when we were dating, so that solved that problem.

As for toilet paper, we have a cat that is a paper destroyer, and two kids. We keep the tp in a closed cabinet next to the toilet so we don't have to re-buy it three times a week.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MightyCow:
If there weren't so many women who refuse to date shorter guys, the shorter guys wouldn't have any reason to be insecure about their height. [Frown]

It's a nice theory. But while I am fine with a guy who is my height or several inches shorter, very few seem to be ok with me being taller than them. *shrug*

And, OMG. Kylie is ALIVE! [The Wave]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tt&t
Member # 5600

- posted      Profile for tt&t   Email tt&t         Edit/Delete Post 
well I knew that all along [Razz]
Posts: 1431 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, but we didn't! [Kiss]

I mean, there were rumors. The occasional lj sighting. But now we have like, proof and stuff! [Big Grin]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I feel kind of weird bumping two of my own threads, but um...how do you dog-proof a house? My boyfriend has a yellow lab, and while he said she's actually really good at living in an apartment...I don't want any of my things destroyed, either. And what are the chances that I'm going to get totally annoyed at having another animal AND a guy around?

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Very, very high.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, at first I read that as

Me: How do I dog proof a house?
ElJay: Very, very high.

[Razz]

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
That works, too. Put everything you don't want chewed very, very high. Higher than you think you need to, really. Particularly for a lab.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
Also, make sure any book cases are very sturdy. If you have one that rocks back and forth, don't put breakable stuff on it, *especially* up high. If the dog jumps up on it he'll send everything crashing down.
Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I tried to read the whole thread, I really tried. Here are my thoughts on toilet seats.

Anyone who lives in a house with men, myself included, will know when they go to clean the toilet that the ledge under the seat is absolutely disgusting. This is the reason why men should lower the seat after they do their business. No one else, man or woman, wants to see your dried spashes of urine there.

If someone is visiting your house casually, so you haven't cleaned the bathroom, you should have a presentable bathroom. This means that you have a clean towel, a clean sink, a dry floor and the toilet seat down because dried yellow urine blotches is GROSS.

Not being gross is a prerequisite to living with anyone, man or woman. Therefore, you should always lower the toilet seat. It's not a sexist thing, it's a civilization millisecond of your life.

The lid depends on the quality of your toilet. Some toilets look just fine. Others are old where the water has been sitting for 25 year day in day out. In that case, it is pleasant to close the lid.

Toilet paper:

Change it. I don't care whether it is under or over. I don't care! As long as the person who finishes the roll changes it. Most people will get a new roll out but will not take the fifteen seconds to take the old cardboard tube off and put the new roll they're already using on. Fifteen seconds. They make these things easy on purpose.

Living Together:

Talk to each other. Chances are, the other person won't mind about the thing you're anal about and vice versa.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

If someone is visiting your house casually, so you haven't cleaned the bathroom, you should have a presentable bathroom. This means that you have a clean towel, a clean sink, a dry floor and the toilet seat down because dried yellow urine blotches is GROSS.

Or you could clean your toilet often enough that you don't have dried yellow urine blotches on it for substantial periods of time. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes. I was using hyperbole. But you're not going to clean your toilet every day, are you? (Unless you're a masochist.) The point is, that it's cleaner with the the seat down as the default position.

Toilets are designed so they look best with the seat down for this very reason. In a photograph selling it, or even it just being in the background, the toilet seat is always going to be down, because that is how the toilet is designed from an aesthetic point of view.

And it takes about a second. If you really want to save time you can flush with your left hand and drop the seat with your right at the same time.

I really think this is a foolish argument that has somehow gained ground by being linked to some kind of unreasonable demand by nazi women.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
My ex-girlfriend is fostering greyhounds. She's invested in a couple of pressure-mounted child/pet gates to keep the animals out of areas with breakable things. I don't know how big an area you're dealing with, but you can get such gates for around $20.
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.