FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » How did you adjust to living with someone? (Page 4)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: How did you adjust to living with someone?
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
I've encountered that with men who were shorter than me, actually. Or exactly the same height and fine with it, except when they saw a picture of us together when I was wearing heels. I always just figured that was their problem, and it certainly didn't affect if I felt pretty or not. Of course, someone who's 5'8" or 6' is going to run into it more often than I am at 5'6", and maybe it's the repetition that does it.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MrSquicky:
See, the only way puny 6' guys like me can compete with that is to wear rollerblades all the time, which leads to tons of broken bones. Do you realize what you are doing to the people yuo pretend to love, pH? Won't somebody please think about the bones?

What is this tinny voice I'm hearing? I...I think I see something, but....it's so low to the ground!

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeeeaahhhh...it's Pearce-zilla. Someone distract her with an enormous pair of PVC pants lest she crush our poor village and all our livelihood.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

ARE YOU CALLING ME FAT?! *stomps on Squick* [Big Grin]

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, my bones. My poor, poor broken bones.

I lie here thinking that all this could have been prevented if only I would have put down the toilet seat. Alas that I was born a man.

---

I could still be saved if someone brings out the enormous, but still slender and tastefully slinky pair of pants.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
If only you had really loved a woman.

*a tear shed*

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

*curiosity* Didn't Pix once say that she preferred women to men even though she'd fallen in love with a man?

-pH

MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe, like so many of us, she's only pretending to love him.
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:
In the past I've tended to keep both lids down, but lately it's only the seat that I've been making a point of lowering.

Ever since I read an article about the way flushing with the toilet open tends to spray nasty germs into the air, we've closed both lids in our house. Then again, the only time we ever have to worry about the bottom lid being up is if a guy happens to be over for a meal or something.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
[Laugh] Pearce fat... [ROFL] [Taunt]
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I love being tall. It makes me feel pretty and I don't wear any shoes except sneakers with less than a two-inch heel. I never said it made me feel unnattractive - where did you get that?

I like guys who are tall as well.

<-- shallow

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't really get the whole height thing; it's almost completely irrelevant to me in term of attraction. I'm not saying it's bad that it's important to the people it's important to, but within the bounds of normal, adult human size it just doesn't show up on my radar as something that influences whether or not I'm attracted to someone.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

quote:
Originally posted by katharina:
He also has to be taller than me, so I feel pretty.

kat - I took this quote to mean that you didn't feel pretty when dating guys who were shorter than you. pix's responses seemed to say the same thing, and you seemed to be agreeing with them. Sorry if I misinterpreted.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
See the solution really is as Primal Curve suggested.

GET A JAPANESE TOILET.

Those things have a everything. I mean shoot the heated seat is enough to make me want to sit down EVERY time because its just so soothing!
----

Ok leaving aside any of the moral arguements for having the seat up and down.

Is it really so obnoxious to do it one way or the other? I just don't see why either side would allow it to become such a heated topic.

If for whatever reason my wife insisted I keep the seat up even though I always sit, I would do it just because its so easy, and the benefit from doing so is well worth the effort.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
It actually turns out that I'm even shallower than that. I feel prettier when the guy I'm with is someone I'm attracted to. Since I like tall, when he's shorter than me, I feel like I'm compromising and I disapprove of myself and don't feel as pretty.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

In my experience working at a dating service, most women want taller men, and most men want shorter women. Sometimes it's really extreme, which I always found funny. When a 5' woman insists that all her dates be 6' or taller, or a 5'10" guy only wants to date women 5' or shorter, it's pretty tough to find a suitable date.

Of course, the worst case is a 6'2" woman who insists that all guys she dates are 6'5" or taller, so she can wear heals and still be shorter. Good luck.

P.S. Toilet paper over the top.

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
pH: Ya know you can ask me directly. And the answer is "Yes"

I love my husband. I work 50 hrs a week and come home and cook and clean for him. If I didn't love him, I wouldn't do all that.

As for whoever said I don't speak for all women... Well of COURSE I don't! We don't come out of a factory, each one of us identical ya know.

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
This discussion going on for four pages is the reason why I seldom go to the bathroom in my own house.

"Honey, I need to use the bathroom. Where are the car keys?"

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
::makes mental note not to ride in Nighthawk's car::
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Of course, if you live someplace that's sufficiently remote (and temperate) you can leave the seat down at all times, handling all standing up business as God intented.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

quote:
Originally posted by The Pixiest:
pH: Ya know you can ask me directly. And the answer is "Yes"

I love my husband. I work 50 hrs a week and come home and cook and clean for him. If I didn't love him, I wouldn't do all that.

As for whoever said I don't speak for all women... Well of COURSE I don't! We don't come out of a factory, each one of us identical ya know.

I thought you said earlier that you'd left the thread from being upset, so I didn't want to bother you. [Smile]

-pH

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
You know in Biblical times we didn't have to worry about the toilet seat as all men could be colloquially referred to as "Those that pisseth against the wall."

Ill be honest the last time I did that was last week.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
pH: I can't stay out of threads that make my blood boil =( And I really should have stayed out of this thread because now I'm angry at all men for the actions of a few.
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
I would love to cook for my wife. But she gets home first and doesn't want to wait. On the weekends she just wants to go out to eat.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
pH: I can't stay out of threads that make my blood boil =( And I really should have stayed out of this thread because now I'm angry at all men for the actions of a few.

You know Pixiest, guys are packaged much the same way girls are. Assembly line process was abandoned a long time ago.
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

BB: I was actually going to make an exception for you, but you'd just made a post about peeing on walls. The exception still stands. I think you're a nice, considerate guy... I think you really care about those around you. I just didn't want to appear to endorse public urination =)

Pix

pH
Member # 1350

quote:
BB: I was actually going to make an exception for you, but you'd just made a post about peeing on walls. The exception still stands. I think you're a nice, considerate guy... I think you really care about those around you. I just didn't want to appear to endorse public urination =)

Pix

I don't think you should have to make an exception, though...I think it's better to assume by default that guys are good guys.

-pH

The Pixiest
Member # 1863

pH: Sometimes they make it difficult.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I never really had my own place, and my husband only did for a few months (and was horribly lonely the whole time!) So we were quite happy to move in together. While I think there was an adjustment period, it wasn't hard for me at all; now, I probably took some getting used to...

You should ask KPC. But I'm pretty sure he'll say the benefits made up for the hardships. [Wink]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hitoshi
Member # 8218

- posted      Profile for Hitoshi   Email Hitoshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Yeah, because assuming all men leave the seat up is rather sexist and stereotypical, and I resent that. I always make sure to flush, leave the seat down, make sure there's plenty of TP left, and clean up anything that goes wrong. So assuming I'm a pig because I'm a man is just as sexist as assuming a woman is "dainty."

Anyways, yeah. If that comes across as being more jerkish than explanatory, sorry, but I am -sick to death- of women I know a) assuming I'm a pig and don't care about cleanliness because I'm a man and b) telling other women it's ok to make fun of men. I side with OSC on this; I'm all for equal rights and women being equal to men, but if it's sexist to make jokes about women, it's just as bad to do it about men.

Anyway, aside from that tangential aside, I can't speak from experience, but you -have- to have strong communication to avoid little disagreements snowballing into arguments and fights. If someone does something and it irks ya, just let them know, without getting out of line, that you prefer it another way. Don't assume they know how you like things, as we can't read minds and tend to forget that others can't, so if they do it a different way, make it be none without making it a big issue. Just my $0.10.

Now who's got my change? [Wink]

Posts: 208 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
I never really had my own place, and my husband only did for a few months (and was horribly lonely the whole time!) So we were quite happy to move in together. While I think there was an adjustment period, it wasn't hard for me at all; now, I probably took some getting used to...

You should ask KPC. But I'm pretty sure he'll say the benefits made up for the hardships. [Wink]

Read: he'd better say the benefits made up for the hardships. [Wink]
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
MightyCow - YES! Over the top!! To derail further - it's a constant battle between my Grammie and I. At the summer place in NH - I used to switch it every time I was in there (she likes it under) and it would miraculously go back the way it was. (i don't try it anymore - it's my grandparents place) It was funny, though, she and my Papa stopped in at my place on a few weeks ago on their drive down to FL for the winter - and the guest bedroom bathroom's tp somehow was switched to under... : )

I mentioned it to my Mom as a funny + she quipped - 'You use less'. Wow. Never thought about the function of it at all... I still like it over.

Okay - back to the up/down debate... (i like them the whole cover down)

Also - since we're on the whole bathroom topic, I think that was the hardest part about getting used to living with someone. The bathroom stuff. Really more actually using it and feeling comfortable but...

Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by cmc:
Also - since we're on the whole bathroom topic, I think that was the hardest part about getting used to living with someone. The bathroom stuff. Really more actually using it and feeling comfortable but...

That's a big one. When you live together, especially if you only have one bathroom, you're suddenly prone to all those things a lot of people make an attempt to hide from their sig other: namely, the pooping and associated smells & noises. Delicious!
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

quote:

Pix, that was me, a woman, who said that. So yes, I know we don't come out of a factory, identical. But your words below certainly make it sound like you think you're stating universal truths for women.

quote:
Squick: Men expect certain things in a relationship. Women expect certain things in a relationship. This is one of the things we expect, so deal with it.

It's not a dictitorial thing. It's Important to us.

The Pixiest
Member # 1863

Hitoshi: So why are you made at me instead of being mad at the guys who gave your gender a bad rap?

I don't want men to be pigs, but there seems to be an element in male culture that wallows in piggishness. Yes, there are guys who seem to be immune to this, like BB, but there are plenty of guys who say "You don't get to set the rules, look before you sit, tough noogy if you fall in. You don't speak for all women, my woman likes a soggy bum."(*)

And sorry, emotions aren't rational. These kind of comments make me mad at all men except those who have been explicitly compassionate... once again, like BB.

Pix

(*) Some of this is exageration, some of this quoatation.

The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by pH:
....wouldn't it be easier to unroll if it went under the bottom? 'cause that's why I hate it that way; I end up with like thirty billion sheets of toilet paper.

-pH

I'm taking the word of several mothers of toddlers on this one. You are thinking about unrolling the toilet paper and tearing it off like a responsible adult. Toddlers just go in and spin the roll and watch it unwind. Evidently its either harder for a toddler to spin the roll upward than downwards or gravity just isn't in their favor spinning it upward but I have been assured by several mothers of toddlers that when they put the roll in under rather than over they have less problem. I've also heard the same thing from a few people with cats.

I have neither cats nor toddlers so my toilet paper is always installed over.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foundling
Member # 6348

- posted      Profile for foundling   Email foundling         Edit/Delete Post 
Huh. This has been an eye opening discussion. I havent had any issues of this sort with my boyfriend in the almost 4 years we've been living together. I'm thinking about it now, and I cant think of a single time where he's left the seat up. I guess I should feel spoiled or something.
I dont know that it would be a huge deal if he did leave it up on a regular basis, but I do have to say that the fact that he THINKS about it, every single time he goes to the bathroom, is pretty cool. It shows me, to a certain extent, that he is thinking about my comfort and making an effort to make sure I never have a soggy bottom in the middle of the night when I'm too groggy to remember to look down. Because there are few things in this world as rage inducing as a soggy bottom in the middle of the night caused by a loved ones negligence. It might not be a reasonable rage, but ohhhhhh, it is a firey rage.

Posts: 499 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

I'm glad that I don't feel the need to be angry at all women based on the actions of a few.
pH
Member # 1350

quote:
Originally posted by erosomniac:
quote:
Originally posted by cmc:

That's a big one. When you live together, especially if you only have one bathroom, you're suddenly prone to all those things a lot of people make an attempt to hide from their sig other: namely, the pooping and associated smells & noises. Delicious!
See, so far he's been incredibly discreet about that stuff (and hasn't said a word about my feminine products - and he'd better continue to be quiet [Razz] ). But after my surgery, he had to help me use the restroom and stuff. And that was really, REALLY embarassing. [Frown] I had to have him in the same room at all times to make sure I didn't fall down and split my head open, so it wasn't even like he could just help me in there and wait outside until I was finished.

-pH

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:

Pix

[Big Grin]

I can't help being raised in Hong Kong, public urination is allowed there within certain protocols. [Cool]

cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice, pH! One 'obstacle' already overcome... : ) (and that really was the biggest one for me...)
Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

One of my exes was...completely not subtle about that stuff. *shudder* Living with him would have been a smelly nightmare. Guys, your girlfriend doesn't want to know if you're constipated. Seriously.

-pH

Swampjedi
Member # 7374

- posted      Profile for Swampjedi   Email Swampjedi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:

Question, do you use the restroom with the door open or closed?

I laugh at myself over this very issue. I live alone and always close the door. I feel exposed if I don't.

Yes, I have issued. [Grumble]

Posts: 1069 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princess Leah
Member # 6026

- posted      Profile for Princess Leah   Email Princess Leah         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So why are you made at me instead of being mad at the guys who gave your gender a bad rap?
Gee, I *wonder* why Hitoshi is mad at you for making assumptions about him based on experiences you had with completely different people who just happend to also be men.
Posts: 866 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
I've never found the toilet seat to be a really important issue, to be honest.
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Pixiest, exactly how is you using "emotions" as an excuse or saying "deal with it" better than some random jerk telling you to get over it when he doesn't put the seat down.

Seems like you are both being colossally inconsiderate. And, in truth, if you come off with a "deal with it" attitude, what exactly do you expect in return?

Speaking as a fellow human being, I would respond much more favorably to an explanation of how important something is to you (the other part of your statement) rather than the "deal with it" part of it.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by pH:
But...yeah, how did you adjust to sharing your home? -pH

Hmmm. We didn't. We divorced within the year. Consequently, we get along much better again -- at least well enough to co-parent. [Smile]

And now that I've read the rest of this fascinating thread:

1) The roll is over the top. Period. I've been drug out of bed by irate parents to switch it from under to over as a teen. [Roll Eyes]

2) The roll under does indeed keep the kitties and the kids from unrolling the roll, but based on the trauma from #1, the roll is nonetheless over the top.

3) I prefer the toilet seat and lid down myself for the sanitary reasons mentioned earlier, but it would not be a deal-breaker. Tardiness on a regular basis accompanied by not calling to say "Sorry, I'm late or can't make it," is a deal breaker.Illegal drug use is a deal breaker. Battering or threatening to batter is a deal breaker. Abusing small children is a deal breaker. The toilet seat . . . not critical. Just irritating.

Carry on.

Oh! And someone wanted change for their $.10. Here's $.05 -- keep the change! [Razz] [Big Grin]

[ December 05, 2006, 11:10 PM: Message edited by: Shan ]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

quote:
Tardiness on a regular basis accompanied by not calling to say "Sorry, I'm late or can't make it,"
Michael unfortunately does that a lot. He's somewhat getting better. He's trying, anyway. But....(I find it hilarious when I say this and people just frown sympathetically and give me this knowing nod), he's an engineer.

What's actually kind of creepy is that apparently, my father was the exact same way when he was dating my mother. He'd show up for their dates two hours late and not understand why she didn't still want to go out.

-pH

maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
quote:
Originally posted by pH:
....wouldn't it be easier to unroll if it went under the bottom? 'cause that's why I hate it that way; I end up with like thirty billion sheets of toilet paper.

-pH

I'm taking the word of several mothers of toddlers on this one. You are thinking about unrolling the toilet paper and tearing it off like a responsible adult. Toddlers just go in and spin the roll and watch it unwind. Evidently its either harder for a toddler to spin the roll upward than downwards or gravity just isn't in their favor spinning it upward but I have been assured by several mothers of toddlers that when they put the roll in under rather than over they have less problem. I've also heard the same thing from a few people with cats.

I have neither cats nor toddlers so my toilet paper is always installed over.

I raised six children and I've had literally dozens of cats over the last 25 years. I've never had the problem you describe and I've always had the TP over the top.
Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by pH:
quote:
Tardiness on a regular basis accompanied by not calling to say "Sorry, I'm late or can't make it,"
Michael unfortunately does that a lot. He's somewhat getting better. He's trying, anyway. But....(I find it hilarious when I say this and people just frown sympathetically and give me this knowing nod), he's an engineer.

What's actually kind of creepy is that apparently, my father was the exact same way when he was dating my mother. He'd show up for their dates two hours late and not understand why she didn't still want to go out.

-pH

<-- dating a proto engineer

*knowing nod*

Mostly, he just forgets we have a date planned. He'll call me and be like, "Everyone's planning to go out to dinner." And he doesn't even remember we had planned to go out that night. I'm pretty laid back, so most of the time I don't mind, since it gives me the right to do the same thing to him. But everyone once and a while when I'm feeling really depressed and unloved it seriously sucks.

However, because of this thread we just talked about the toilet paper and toilet seat. He prefers the heretical under toilet paper unrolling method, but is willing to compromise, and he always puts the toilet seat down anyway.

So, basically, I have the awesomest boyfriend in the world, and I'm going to give him all the chocolate from the care package my mom sent me.

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.