FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » is your logname completely random? or does it have a special meaning? (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: is your logname completely random? or does it have a special meaning?
Kabederlin
Member # 6304

- posted      Profile for Kabederlin   Email Kabederlin         Edit/Delete Post 
Well you say real history... But the story of Achilles was obviously not real. Or not as real as it is made out to be. And the chance of a guy named Priam killing him is probably narrow as well. But yeah I knew who Priam was...
Posts: 126 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnlocke059
Member # 6220

- posted      Profile for johnlocke059   Email johnlocke059         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually took my name from Peter's "Locke" in Ender's Game when I first started using the internet 7 or 8 years ago...gradually it has evolved into "johnlocke059" as you are forced to come up with more complicated names to sign into things.
Posts: 6 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kabederlin
Member # 6304

- posted      Profile for Kabederlin   Email Kabederlin         Edit/Delete Post 
You do realize John Locke was real guy right... And Demosthenes too... They were symbolic pseudonyms (I'm not gonna try and spell that one right...). John Locke believed in tabula rosa, or a clean slate. His philosiphies were the basis for the Declaration of Independence. Demosthenes warned Athens about the coming macedonian army and was later tried for treason and before they could execute him he took poison and killed himself.
Posts: 126 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
I took my name from Tolkien's "Silmarillion", elder of the Two Trees of Valinor, original Light of the world before the Sun and the Moon.

Telperion the Silver Tree...
Laurelin the Golden Tree...

Telperion was the parent to the line of White Trees passed on to the Elves as a gift from the Gods for their love of the silver tree. The Elves then gave the Numenoreans, humans allied to the Elves and the Gods, a sapling of their own. Numenor was destroyed but a scion of it's White Tree went on to it's own offspring nation, Gondor, in the city of Minas Tirith.

I chose Telperion for my love of the Valar and the Eldar, and for my own facination with silver.

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FoolishTook
Member # 5358

- posted      Profile for FoolishTook   Email FoolishTook         Edit/Delete Post 
I think my name is pretty obvious. But there's more to it than just a reference to Pippin Took.

I thought it fit me, since I storm into every situation thinking I'm the most brilliant person to walk the earth, only to learn how absolutely foolish I really am.

It's also a reminder to myself that I won't learn anything if I already think I know everything.

Posts: 407 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlelf
Member # 6145

- posted      Profile for littlelf   Email littlelf         Edit/Delete Post 
my name means little elf in another language, so I've been an elf long before the recent renewed interest in Rivendale, Mirkwood, and Lothlorien.
Posts: 72 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
mines my initals...
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
My name is supposed to be elvish for my real name.
I got it from an elvish name generator somewhere along the nets...

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh..just saw this one. My name is in honor of my daughter, who sings space opera. She's six, and sings all the time. One day I caught her singing a song about her Star Wars action figures (they were singing to each other). Hence, my daughter invented space opera.
Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fitbrit
Member # 6529

- posted      Profile for fitbrit   Email fitbrit         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a research scientist, but in my spare time I run a fitness training business. I'm a Brit living in Canada, so FitBrit is the name of my one pro (me)personal training company.
Posts: 8 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhapsody
Member # 6514

- posted      Profile for Rhapsody   Email Rhapsody         Edit/Delete Post 
my name is from the book Rhapsody it's the first in a series I'm reading right now by Elizabeth Haydon and am really enjoying
Posts: 7 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pinkstripes
Member # 6566

- posted      Profile for pinkstripes   Email pinkstripes         Edit/Delete Post 
well, i just decided register today and im trying to pick a name. i look down and see im wearing a shirt with pink stripes.
Posts: 9 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lindsay
Member # 6567

- posted      Profile for Lindsay   Email Lindsay         Edit/Delete Post 
what you're seeing is my real name... which I never use online... but since I can show a separate name from my login on this site, I figured I might as well!

My login, ethuilathelas, has special significance for me. It is actually two words: ethuil, which is the elvish word for spring (literally, "budding"), and athelas, the elvish word for the flower kingsfoil, which has healing properties and is part of a prophecy that helps identify Aragorn as the true king when he uses it to heal... some people. My favorite characters in LOTR actually.

so in other words, it can be just "budding kingsfoil" or even more simply, "spring flower", or it can be a budding tool of the true king, used for healing.

I too use this screenname for just about everything on the web.... but it's such a special meaning for me i don't like to explain it often, except to say it means "budding flower."

Posts: 5 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EurasianGirl
Member # 6524

- posted      Profile for EurasianGirl   Email EurasianGirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I bet no one can figure out how I got my name [Wink]
Posts: 10 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AmmonRah
Member # 6583

- posted      Profile for AmmonRah   Email AmmonRah         Edit/Delete Post 
Many years ago, when the internet was still innocent, I conversed daily with friends in a chat room using the name 'Ammon', which is the name of a character in a future sequel in the Homecoming series. Anyway..

They were messing with me and calling me Ramen and AmmonRamen and stuff like that one day, and I decided that I liked the sound of AmmonRah and have used it for close to 10 years everywhere that I go on the web.

quote:
EurasianGirl
Member # 6524

posted May 24, 2004 09:24 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I bet no one can figure out how I got my name

You're an Asian girl?

[ May 29, 2004, 11:50 PM: Message edited by: AmmonRah ]

Posts: 6 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PresbyGirl
Member # 6655

- posted      Profile for PresbyGirl   Email PresbyGirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a girl and I go to Presbyterian College.
Posts: 4 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gryphonesse
Member # 6651

- posted      Profile for Gryphonesse   Email Gryphonesse         Edit/Delete Post 
well, since this thread has been resurrected, I'll throw my two cents in.

Gryphonesse - it suits my temperament. I like animals, love mythological creatures. I'va always loved sci-fi and fantasy. My favorite critter has always been the gryphon, so there you have it.

edit: not to mention, my real name is hard to pronouce and very obscure...

[ July 02, 2004, 12:36 PM: Message edited by: Gryphonesse ]

Posts: 262 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
This is basically a test. I've been trying to figure out how to post here for a couple of days--Site wasn't working well with Netscape... On IE now.

So, I guess I'll answer the question... Katarain is a variation of Katarina that I use on the web because Katarina is usually taken. Katarina is a name I gave myself many years ago when first coming online. I stole it from my cat, whom I named Katarina after a character on Days of our Lives... [Smile] What can I say? I was young...

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
senselessbeating
Member # 6662

- posted      Profile for senselessbeating   Email senselessbeating         Edit/Delete Post 
My name has its own meaning, but it is also a small line from an obscure song of a semi-famous local band.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Achilles_de_Flandres
Member # 6672

- posted      Profile for Achilles_de_Flandres   Email Achilles_de_Flandres         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess you can guess my meaning (if you read the Shadow Saga)
Posts: 19 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WhiteDuckTape
Member # 6678

- posted      Profile for WhiteDuckTape   Email WhiteDuckTape         Edit/Delete Post 
FLCL w00t (I also like Trigun, Cowboy Bebop and Freakazoid!) Anyways... oh yeah my screen name. Well I was involved in a community theatre at one point in time and was in a heated discussion about which is better... duct tape, or crazy glue. It lead to a friend and I screaming across the stage "White Duck Tape!" and "Clear Krazy Glue!". (kinda like Snot Stew)

Is not!
Is too!
Isnot
Istwo

You get the picture if you don't remember the book.

I even had a street sign made; it hangs in my closet. [Smile]

Posts: 15 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melchior
Member # 5519

- posted      Profile for Melchior   Email Melchior         Edit/Delete Post 
My name was after one of the three wisemen that travelled to Bethlehem to visit the baby Jesus. Melchior, Balthasar, and Casper. Also, if any of you are anime watchers, The three "Maji," super computers in the anime Neon Genesis: Evangelion are named Melchior, Balthasar, and Casper. That is where I actually got the name from.
Posts: 50 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
<Always thought it was Gaspar.>
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Julian Delphinki
Member # 6686

- posted      Profile for Julian Delphinki   Email Julian Delphinki         Edit/Delete Post 
What can i say? I envy bean so i took his name! [Evil Laugh]
Posts: 20 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.