FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Ender in Exile! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Ender in Exile!
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Eden:
I just discovered, that a new book following the quadrilogy will be published soon, which is the reason I registered... I don't want to be suprised by something like this again [Smile]

I have a very intimate relation to the Ender and the Shadow series, since they are the reason I learned English some years ago. I am german and wanted to read and understand the books, that hasn't been published in german yet.

The meaning of this post: Hello everyone

Salutations and welcome to hatrack. We could always use a few more Germans.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by neo-dragon:

This is before Ender and Peter began speaking via ansible. Seems like something of a minor glitch...

I wonder why fact-checkers don't catch some of these basic inconsistencies... or maybe OSC just doesn't find them very important?
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
Ni hao, ni shi shisheng ma?
Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
quote:

This is before Ender and Peter began speaking via ansible. Seems like something of a minor glitch...

I wonder why fact-checkers don't catch some of these basic inconsistencies... or maybe OSC just doesn't find them very important?
We are his fact-checkers [Big Grin] ! Well, sometimes, anyway.
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

I wonder if anything can be done about it, or if it's too late and/or too insignificant to bother. Peter's age can be changed with a single word, but I don't know about Graff being alive...
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
Graff died? I don't remember. . .
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xann.
Member # 11482

- posted      Profile for Xann.   Email Xann.         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
quote:

We are his fact-checkers [Big Grin] ! Well, sometimes, anyway.
I agree we should all blame neo-draon for all inconsistencies in OSC's books.
Posts: 549 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

quote:
Originally posted by Nick:
Graff died? I don't remember. . .

See my post near the end of the previous page. In the last chapter of SotG, Peter mentions knowing Graff and Mazer at the end of their lives. Valentine wrote about them, presumably after they died, and before Ender began having the talks with Peter that would be the basis of The Hegemon. The excerpt from E in E suggests that Graff is still alive after Ender and Peter have begun their talks. It's a minor thing, and I probably wouldn't have noticed if I didn't start thinking about how old Graff would be.

quote:
I agree we should all blame neo-draon for all inconsistencies in OSC's books.
Well, maybe if he would send me early manuscripts to proofread I could be of more help. *hint* *hint*, *nudge* *nudge* [Big Grin]
Orincoro
Member # 8854

Well, Graff must be very old indeed. Considering that he was around 30 in "The Polish Boy," his first appearance chronologically being either "Mazer in Prison," or "Polish Boy," I'll do a little math.

30 Polish Boy
+32 years for Peter to grow up, get married at 22, and have ender last, and for Ender to reach age 6
+4 years for the events of Ender's Game, until Ender leaves for Rove (or Shakespeare Colony)
+50 years for Ender to reach Rove
+10 or more years for Ender to grow to age 18, write the HQ, and have it published and become known on Earth (this would make Peter's age rougly consistent with 70 at the end of EG)

That would make Graff rougly 126 years old at the time of the supposed emails, making him older than any human of our time has ever lived by 4 years. Given that by all accounts he did not always lead a healthy lifestyle, this seems particularly unlikely, unless anti-geron technology has advanced to the point of extending the maximum lifespan of humans (roughly 120 years). Given that Peter is dying "of a failing heart" at only 70 or 80 years of age at this time, in the late 23rd century (is that right?), that seems unlikely.

You could possibly subtract a few years from his age in Polish boy, and a few more from the time between Polish boy and EG, but not that many. You'd be hard pressed to explain his age as anywhere under 115. No way he could be less than 100, unless late in life, he takes a relativistic journey.

A possible loophole would be if Graff left for a colony world after the events of Shadow Giant, and died in between the death of Peter, and the subsequent publication of HQH, which is detailed in Giant. This would make his being alive possible, but he would likely not be on Earth, when contacted by Ender in EE. Remember, following Giant, it is possible to reach colony worlds without non-relative travel time lag for acceleration, as gravity compensation was introduced late in the book.

[ September 10, 2008, 08:25 PM: Message edited by: Orincoro ]

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
Peter doesn't always know everything <grin>.

I will not be doing a signing tour. The tours wreck my health and tear huge chunks out of my life. I need to be home with my family, writing my books, and playing videogames, as God intended. (That's just so you won't forget what a zealot I am.)

Most of Ender in Exile does indeed take place between the last two chapters of Ender's Game. And I did contradict the scene between Ender and Valentine from Ender's Game, where they first meet after the war. I am rewriting that scene and future versions of Ender's Game will have the new version. The original scene was a throwaway; the new one will meet the needs of Exile.

Eden, thanks for learning English to read my books. I'd love to have them all published in German, but ... that's not up to me <grin>.

As for marketing books - surveys done for the publishing industry make it plain that the only two elements important to sales of a fiction book are the book cover and word of mouth. Advertising only affects the SPEED of sales when an audience already exists for it - good for making the lists, but not much else. Being on a list does have a log-rolling effect, but it's not huge; books that make the list tend to stay on the list for the same reasons that got them there in the first place - i.e., people like the book.

Pub date IS important. (And yes, it's Nov. 11, a Tuesday, as stated.) The election isn't even a factor in the release date - do you think there's anybody who says, "I will NOT go to the bookstore today, it's election day!"

But things like Christmas and New Years and Summer affect sales of certain kinds of books. Lots of books are launched during the Christmas buying frenzy of the leadin to summer - but the Christmas launches are books that people are likely to give as gifts (i.e., emotional feel-good books or books by well-known authors that might be bought as gifts for known fans of the books); the summer launches are big beach-reading books.

Science fiction is rarely in either category, though obviously my publisher things Ender in Exile might well be given as a gift - hardcover as a Christmas present to somebody who would otherwise wait for the paperback. My publisher also thinks that Ender in Exile has legs that will allow it to stand up in competition with a lot of big-name titles. I worry that this might keep EinE from getting on any lists.

Best chance for a sci-fi book to hit the lists is at the end of summer and in January, where the New Year's slump hits the book industry. Then again, all the things that make those slump seasons will work against the sci-fi book, too.

The fact is, it's all a crapshoot. I think this is one of the best books I've ever written ... but I've thought that before about books that sold only moderately. Who knows?

all I can do is tell you that I'm really proud of the book, and that even though it's so intimately related to Ender's Game, you don't have to have read (or recently re-read) Ender's Game in order to receive EinE.

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trent Destian
Member # 11653

- posted      Profile for Trent Destian           Edit/Delete Post 
So I should do my best to maintain my current copy of Ender's Game, beacuse if I want to get a new copy the ending will be altered. Was the scene unsatisfactory before and now it is better, or is the change purely for the sequel sake?

Remastered version "Peter shot first!"

Additionally, thanks for clearing up the confusion.

Posts: 247 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by Orson Scott Card:

Most of Ender in Exile does indeed take place between the last two chapters of Ender's Game. And I did contradict the scene between Ender and Valentine from Ender's Game, where they first meet after the war. I am rewriting that scene and future versions of Ender's Game will have the new version. The original scene was a throwaway; the new one will meet the needs of Exile.

Whoa there George Lucas! Why not just enhance all the crowd scenes in your old books with cumputer generated dialogue? HMMM???? [Razz]

ENDER SHOT FIRST!

DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, come on guys. That scene between Ender and Val never really "worked" with any of the sequels. It's been contradicted in a ton of places in both the Shadow books and the "Adult Ender" books. At least he's going to rewrite a new scene and not just be like "ok, forget that part". I'm actually really eager to read the new scene. It was one of the most awkward parts of the whole original book, one of the ones that felt the least natural. I can't believe I'm going to do this, but I think I'll actually be purchasing a THIRD copy of Ender's Game.
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 11614

He posted.

Wait no hello for the T!!!!!! Argh.

I will definetely be purchasing a sixth copy then. (wow thats alot.)

Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

Wouldn't it be perfect marketing if the release of this new edition of Ender's Game coincided with the release of the movie? (whenever that will be)
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd rather not wait for the movie...
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed. I'm starting to wonder if the movie will ever be made. Maybe Ender's Game just isn't meant for the big screen.
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sylvrdragon
Member # 3332

- posted      Profile for sylvrdragon   Email sylvrdragon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I can't believe I'm going to do this, but I think I'll actually be purchasing a THIRD copy of Ender's Game.
Only 3? I've bought probably 7 by now... most of which I've given away. I always make sure to have a copy to "Loan" to someone, and I almost always end up telling them to keep it.

; ; I accidentally "loaned" out my signed copy like this.

Posts: 636 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

lol. Loaning a signed copy?! Are you crazy?
mimsies
Member # 7418

- posted      Profile for mimsies   Email mimsies         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I need to be home with my family, writing my books, and playing videogames, as God intended. (That's just so you won't forget what a zealot I am.)

[Big Grin]
Posts: 772 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
I really like the excerpt. I kept trying to gleen information about what happens in the rest of the book. The excerpt mostly just refers to things we already know, but it sounds like it has all of the analysis of the human condition that I love so much in this series. I don't think I'll be able to wait for someone to get it for me for Christmas. And if OSC says it's his best book, that has me doubly excited.

Is EiE supposed to deal more with the conditions on Earth at the time or Ender's new colony?

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
C3PO the Dragon Slayer
Member # 10416

- posted      Profile for C3PO the Dragon Slayer           Edit/Delete Post 
Stilson: Going somewhere, Third?

Ender: Yes, as a matter of fact, I was just going to see the boss. Tell Graff I got his monitor.

Stilson: It's too late. You should have backed out when you had the chance. Graff's put a rank on your brain so high, every IF agent in the Hegemony will be looking for you. I'm lucky I found you first.

Ender: Yeah, but this time I've got the monitor out.

Stilson: If you give it to me, I might forget I found you.

Ender: I don't have it WITH me... tell Graff...

Stilson: Graff is through with you. He has no time for Wiggins who drop their shipments at the first sign of their older brother.

Ender: Even I get bored sometimes. You think I had a choice?

Stilson: You can tell that to Graff. He may only take your sister.

Ender: Over my dead body.

Stilson: That's the idea. I've been looking forward to killing a Third for some time.

Ender: I'll bet you have.

Stilson aims a punch at Ender's face, going for a knockout, but misses horribly. Ender doesn't even flinch. He just kills Stilson.

Ender: (to teacher who stumbles upon the scene, who stares at Stilson's dead body) Sorry about the mess. (tosses a five-dollar coin to the teacher) Exuent.

Posts: 1029 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

I'm pretty sure it's the latter since Ender is the central character.
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

Publishers Weekly blurb

quote:
Set between Card's Hugo and Nebula-winning Ender's Game(1985) and Speaker for the Dead(1986), this philosophical novel covers familiar events, but puts new emphasis on their ethical ramifications. In the wake of his victory over the alien Formics, 12-year-old military genius Ender Wiggins is hailed as a hero, but governments opposed to the International Fleet, which trained him, intend to portray him as a monster. Ender winds up as titular governor of one of the new human colonies, where he struggles to adapt to civilian life and ponders his role in the deaths of thousands of humans and an entire alien species. His agonized musings aren't always sophisticated but possess a certain gravitas. Fans will find this offering illuminating, and it's also accessible to thoughtful readers new to the series.

insomniakk
Member # 11750

- posted      Profile for insomniakk           Edit/Delete Post 
Cant wait. So is EinE going to be published before shadows in flight or are they going to be released at different times?
Posts: 13 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

EinE comes out in just a few weeks and there's no known release date for Shadows in Flight. I would guess that it's a few years away.
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by C3PO the Dragon Slayer:
Stilson aims a punch at Ender's face, going for a knockout, but misses horribly. Ender doesn't even flinch. He just kills Stilson.

That's sacrilege. All purists know Ender punched first.
Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
C3PO the Dragon Slayer
Member # 10416

Well, that's the Special Edition that Stilson shot first.

But yes, the purist original has Ender shoot first.

Posts: 1029 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
All4Nothing
Member # 11601

- posted      Profile for All4Nothing   Email All4Nothing         Edit/Delete Post 
Been awhile since I posted here, and very few times at that. I do come and read though, and often. I'll never leave this forum now that I'm here. I've been coming here for many years...just never signed up till last year [Smile]

Anyways, I'm still extremely excited to get this book in hand then in head. And this topic has inspired me to reread EG for about the fiftieth time..lol. Since I can't remember exactly the ending scene between Ender and Val, I feel it's my duty to myself to refresh my memory.

Hope everyone has been well in my abscence. [Smile]

Posts: 115 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
All4Nothing
Member # 11601

- posted      Profile for All4Nothing   Email All4Nothing         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok...so I got through EG again. Seems to get faster everytime...maybe it's just me. I can't listen to the excerpt from EiE due to the fact that this computer doesn't have sound, so I'm kinda in the dark about it. This Stilson thing keeps catching my attention and I don't know what to make of it. However, the scene between Valentine and Ender was touching, but doesn't seem all that important. Either way, I have faith that Mr. Card will tell a great tale and I'm excited for these next weeks to pass quickly.
Posts: 115 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

Don't worry, the Stilson thing is just a joke. [Wink]

A reference to one of George Lucas' least popular alterations to the original Star Wars.

All4Nothing
Member # 11601

LoL....ok, now I get it. Thank you for clearing that up neo. It makes alot more sense now. Especially since I know the scene you're talking about, just didn't think of that as a reference to it. I must be getting slow in my older age. [Smile]
Tara
Member # 10030

- posted      Profile for Tara   Email Tara         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by docmagik:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by docmagik:
Actually, it takes place between the second-to-last and last chapters of Enders Game.

SPOILERS FOR ENDER'S GAME BELOW!

It takes place after the end of the Bugger War, but before the Hive Queen is discovered.

That wasn't my understanding from what I've read. Where did you get that piece of info?
From Card in San Diego.

Why has nobody followed up on this?

It actually makes complete sense. The new book is supposed to be about Ender's civilian life on the new planet, so it would have to take place before the last chapter of EG, because he leaves after he finds the Hive Queen.

EDIT: I didn't see the second page of this thread..

My post may be obsolete...I'll check.

EDIT EDIT: Ok it is. Go me.

Also, whoa, OSC posted!

[ October 31, 2008, 02:57 PM: Message edited by: Tara ]

Posts: 930 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
All4Nothing
Member # 11601

quote:

Most of Ender in Exile does indeed take place between the last two chapters of Ender's Game.

This is probably why no one has followed up on it. The last two chapters of EG take place between the times your stating and the book ends with Ender finding the hive queen, leaving the planet, and writing The Hive Queen and the Hegemon. You can find the rest of the answer above in this same topic. [Smile]
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

quote:

Science fiction is rarely in either category, though obviously my publisher things Ender in Exile might well be given as a gift - hardcover as a Christmas present to somebody who would otherwise wait for the paperback. My publisher also thinks that Ender in Exile has legs that will allow it to stand up in competition with a lot of big-name titles. I worry that this might keep EinE from getting on any lists.

Best chance for a sci-fi book to hit the lists is at the end of summer and in January, where the New Year's slump hits the book industry. Then again, all the things that make those slump seasons will work against the sci-fi book, too.

The fact is, it's all a crapshoot. I think this is one of the best books I've ever written ... but I've thought that before about books that sold only moderately. Who knows?

I've been occasionally looking at its amazon.com sales rank out of curiosity, and I'm no expert, but it seems to be doing well. It was recently as high as #3 in the sci-fi category, and it's been steadily improving in overall rank as it gets closer to the release. I hope it makes the major lists, but I think a new Stephen King book comes out the very same day. [Eek!]
la.SOMA
Member # 10608

- posted      Profile for la.SOMA   Email la.SOMA         Edit/Delete Post 
guys.. seriously...

ONE WEEK!!!

Posts: 52 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
C3PO the Dragon Slayer
Member # 10416

yayz.
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

Ia and 3PO, you guys are getting copies sent to you, right? Post when you receive them. That way I'll know that mine is on its way (I'm in Canada, so mine has a longer trip).

Also, some stores and libraries have it out already, or so I've heard.

Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
I can't wait to get my copy.

*eyes mailbox anxiously*

My son can't wait to get my copy, either.

*grin*

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
All4Nothing
Member # 11601

I really like the way the cover looks. Like how it seems to be crashing instead of going down for a landing.
Elise
Member # 7898

- posted      Profile for Elise   Email Elise         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,
Came here to see what you tought of the book. Mine has arrived yesterday! And I am in The Netherlands! Got it as a birthday present from my husband this morning (it's my birthday today). So I am very happy person.
Greetings from a very happy birthdaygirl.

edit:
I just saw the post from OSC. So this book wasn't supposed to get to me untill next week...I do not know where my husband ordered it for me I just know that our normal supplier had already sold all his books. I am not complaining though [Wink] .

[ November 06, 2008, 06:29 AM: Message edited by: Elise ]

Posts: 7 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
All4Nothing
Member # 11601

I'm going to go crazy with anticipation now...thanks alot.

Just messing. I've been going crazy with anticipation since it was announced. Happy Birthday and whatnot!

la.SOMA
Member # 10608

- posted      Profile for la.SOMA   Email la.SOMA         Edit/Delete Post 
i'll be sure to neo [Smile]
Posts: 52 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

Thanks!

*waits*

Rodger Brown
Member # 11476

- posted      Profile for Rodger Brown   Email Rodger Brown         Edit/Delete Post 
Will EinE be released on Audible and if so will it be on Nov 11.
Posts: 143 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 11614

Do I get a free copy OSC?

Puleezzzzzzz?

I'm joking...

no I'm not...

Yes I am...

Please?

neo-dragon
Member # 7168

Just for you, T:man.

http://www.bookspotcentral.com/2008/11/contest-ender-in-exile-by-orson-scott-card-signed/

Catseye1979
Member # 5560

- posted      Profile for Catseye1979   Email Catseye1979         Edit/Delete Post 
Just Got a E-mail from Amazon that my copy shipped out today.....It might actully arrive for my birthday on the 11th.....yay!
Posts: 147 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michiel
Member # 7649

- posted      Profile for Michiel   Email Michiel         Edit/Delete Post 
Just ordered my copy at Amazon! very exciting! And just in time for my father's birthday (who is a fan as well). He lives in the Netherlands, which is a place (Rotterdam! Sinterklaas!) that pops up often in OSC's work. Wonder what the connection is....
Posts: 64 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avin
Member # 7751

- posted      Profile for Avin           Edit/Delete Post 
So, why is there no thread actually discussing the book? I picked up my copy from the library last Thursday, and my wife and I have been reading a few chapters every night out loud to each other since then. I'm surprised there hasn't been any new topics about it; if I didn't have kids and work during the day, I'm sure I would have finished it the day I got it.
Posts: 142 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.