FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Ender in Exile! (Page 3)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Ender in Exile!
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Mine doesn't seem to have shipped yet. [Mad]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Avin:
So, why is there no thread actually discussing the book? I picked up my copy from the library last Thursday, and my wife and I have been reading a few chapters every night out loud to each other since then. I'm surprised there hasn't been any new topics about it; if I didn't have kids and work during the day, I'm sure I would have finished it the day I got it.

The official release date is tomorrow, so most of us don't have it yet.
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:

But I just got an email . . . [Big Grin]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avin
Member # 7751

- posted      Profile for Avin           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by neo-dragon:
quote:
Originally posted by Avin:
So, why is there no thread actually discussing the book? I picked up my copy from the library last Thursday, and my wife and I have been reading a few chapters every night out loud to each other since then. I'm surprised there hasn't been any new topics about it; if I didn't have kids and work during the day, I'm sure I would have finished it the day I got it.

The official release date is tomorrow, so most of us don't have it yet.
Really? I was surprised when I got an email that the book was available because I wasn't expecting it to be ready so soon after the release date, since I wasn't the first to place it on reserve, and now I'm doubly surprised to hear that apparently the library got it early somehow. This makes the first time I've felt glad about borrowing rather than buying a book that I've been definitely enjoying and intend to read again - I intended to wait for the paperback since I have the others in paperback, but couldn't wait to read it still.
Posts: 142 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LargeTuna
Member # 10512

- posted      Profile for LargeTuna   Email LargeTuna         Edit/Delete Post 
I got it toaday [Big Grin] W00T!
Posts: 856 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tara
Member # 10030

- posted      Profile for Tara   Email Tara         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be checking in here for reviews.... I still can't decide whether to buy it now or wait till the library gets it.
Posts: 930 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LargeTuna
Member # 10512

- posted      Profile for LargeTuna   Email LargeTuna         Edit/Delete Post 
well my review up to page 20 lol dont worry no real spoilers.

its a little talky and a lot of the wiggin family and stuff we allready know but its really interesting and i expect it to be better later on. after all it is just the beggining [Big Grin] (its starting chapters with the emais again [Frown] ) i liked quotes better [Big Grin]

Posts: 856 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
la.SOMA
Member # 10608

- posted      Profile for la.SOMA   Email la.SOMA         Edit/Delete Post 
i havent recieved my copy from osc yet. so obviously, i couldnt wait and bought a copy tuesday morning. my name is written on page 374! i was so excited that i even showed the cashier at borders.

i'm a little more than half way through to book now and i've been getting happier and happier as i read.

Posts: 52 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grimnebulin
Member # 11828

- posted      Profile for Grimnebulin           Edit/Delete Post 
I just wanted to say that this book is everything I could have hoped for and more. Unfortunately for me I am currently in school do I don't have the leisure time to curl up with the hardback as I have with the previous books in this series. However, fortunately for me this book has again been produced by the wonderful cast that has read the series so far in audio book format, and it has been a wonderful experience. Two more hours to go for me, and the only thing I worry is the temptation for Mr. Card to continue in this timeline and forget about reuniting the storylines of Bean and Ender. Hope you are are enjoying this as much as I am!
Posts: 1 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by la.SOMA:
i havent recieved my copy from osc yet. so obviously, i couldnt wait and bought a copy tuesday morning. my name is written on page 374! i was so excited that i even showed the cashier at borders.

i'm a little more than half way through to book now and i've been getting happier and happier as i read.

Wait, he credits us? Is my name in there? Initials L.W.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

I'm still waiting for mine as well, but I visited my local bookstore just to look at a copy. He does indeed give credit to the individuals who replied in that thread way back. Our names are right there in bold on page 374. OSC is just awesome that way. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
la.SOMA
Member # 10608

- posted      Profile for la.SOMA   Email la.SOMA         Edit/Delete Post 
I do see an L.W. in there [Smile]

I finished reading it an hour or so ago. I'm not going to post any thoughts until it's stewed for a few days and also give a chance for more of the die-hards to read it!

I CAN say that I am extremely please.

Posts: 52 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avin
Member # 7751

- posted      Profile for Avin           Edit/Delete Post 
I am also really enjoying the book. I do have to say though, that I wish I had never read Speaker for the Dead, Xenocide, and Children of the Mind now.

Previously, those three had been my least favorites of the Ender series, but I didn't really mind their existence. They were just a very different type of story.

Now however I find myself wishing that either I had never read them, or that the stories were completely unrelated to Ender. Because they are interesting stories, especially Speaker, but I find that it does detract somewhat from reading Ender in Exile.

It's funny that they didn't detract from Ender's Shadow or the Shadow series in the same way. For Ender's Shadow, the entire story was known, the entire point was looking at it through a completely different perspective. And it worked really well. For the rest of the Shadow series, although we knew what the end result would generally be - that Peter would unite Earth under one government - we had no clue how that was going to happen, plus we didn't know anything about Bean's fate, so that could go anywhere.

With Ender in Exile, we have neither. We ultimately know that whatever happens in this story, Ender survives, so there's no reason to fear too much. We know Novinha was his first wife, so we know nothing comes of that particular subplot in Exile (I'll refrain from being too specific to avoid spoilers). We know that the universe 3000 years from now has forgotten whatever might have happened during this time period, so there's no real cause for concern. And we also know how Ender works, so it's not too much mystery how he is going to deal with all the situations that he comes across.

Keep in mind this is after roughly a third of the way through the book so these impressions might change, and I hope to be very surprised. I also don't mean to sound too negative about it, I am thoroughly enjoying it, I just am slightly disappointed because I know I would have enjoyed it MORE if I had not read Speaker and the rest.

Posts: 142 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
All4Nothing
Member # 11601

- posted      Profile for All4Nothing   Email All4Nothing         Edit/Delete Post 
It may be some time before I can get my hands on a copy, but I keep checking this to see how you all are enjoying the book. After reading the new essay I'm dying to read this tale. When you guys start discussing it in detail could you put in a "Spoilers start here" or something to that effect please? That way, I'll know not to continue reading.
Posts: 115 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rodger Brown
Member # 11476

- posted      Profile for Rodger Brown   Email Rodger Brown         Edit/Delete Post 
spoilers

I always skip to the afterword I know its not very smart but where is Chapter 15 of Ender's Game I can't find it on IGMS.

Posts: 143 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
All4Nothing
Member # 11601

- posted      Profile for All4Nothing   Email All4Nothing         Edit/Delete Post 
Chapter 15 of Ender's Game starts on page 305. It's titled "Speaker for the Dead". Now I gotta stay outta here, cause you're about to do spoilers I take it.
Posts: 115 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
Got mine yesterday. Something slightly humorous:

In OSC's other books, he has a convention of giving his chapters one-word titles. When I started reading, I actually thought the title of the first chapter in this book was "Chapter", until I got to chapter 2 and it had the same title, and I realized that this book has untitled chapters.

/dunce

Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coriandre
Member # 11830

- posted      Profile for Coriandre           Edit/Delete Post 
I just happened to be reading through the entire series a month ago up till last friday, when I realized Exile was coming out.

And at the end of Chapter 4 there is a continuity error between Ender meeting Valentine.

At the end of Ender's Game he meets Valentine on Eros while working on some machine, busy work basically, but Ender in Exile is, more involved.

I just thought I'd point that out and see if I'm crazy or not.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ginol_Enam
Member # 7070

- posted      Profile for Ginol_Enam           Edit/Delete Post 
Once you finish the book, or whenever you read the afterword, you'll understand [Wink]
Posts: 450 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catseye1979
Member # 5560

- posted      Profile for Catseye1979   Email Catseye1979         Edit/Delete Post 
*Spoilers*

A bigger problem might be that while on the Lake Valentine told Ender what Peter and Her were doing, In the new book Ender doesn't seem to know Demosthenes is Valentine, it is possible when Valentine told Ender what she was up to with Peter that she didn't mention the names they were using on the Nets I suppose.

Posts: 147 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zenox
Member # 8987

- posted      Profile for Zenox   Email Zenox         Edit/Delete Post 
In addition, Bean told Ender in Ender's Shadow the identity of Locke and Demosthenes, after the war ended.
Posts: 58 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catseye1979
Member # 5560

- posted      Profile for Catseye1979   Email Catseye1979         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember that he told the other kids...I don't remember Ender being present at the time. While it's highly unklikly that Ender didn't know, it is possible. I think....I"m going to have to go back and read some
Posts: 147 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
quote:

Your item was misrouted. The error has been corrected and every effort is being made to deliver it as soon as possible.

[Mad]

Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Was your e-mail from UPS? I got some wierd e-mail from UPS that I couldn't open because it had a virus. I just figured it had to do with the book being shipped.

*eyes mailbox anxiously*

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

No, my email was from Amazon. It had a tracking number.

That's the most recent results of checking tracking status with USPS. [Razz]

CRash
Member # 7754

- posted      Profile for CRash   Email CRash         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Rodger Brown:
spoilers

I always skip to the afterword I know its not very smart but where is Chapter 15 of Ender's Game I can't find it on IGMS.

I can't find it either; most likely OSC is a bit behind schedule with it. Maybe it will show up when his next Ender story does?
Posts: 973 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I got my copy from OSC today!!!!

I had almost forgotten about it entirely, and I wasn't planning on ordering my own because I didn't have the money; I was going to wait for it to come out in paperback and then get it. So I came home from work and there was box in the mail, which I assumed was a movie that I'd ordered from Amazon (I lost my other copy of Gettysburg, so I needed a new one post haste!), but imagine my surprise when I opened it to find a shiny copy of Ender in Exile, autographed, and in the back where my name was, autographed again with a little underline under my name.

Too awesome. I had a major dorkgasm when I saw it.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
I got my copy from OSC today!!!!

I had almost forgotten about it entirely, and I wasn't planning on ordering my own because I didn't have the money; I was going to wait for it to come out in paperback and then get it. So I came home from work and there was box in the mail, which I assumed was a movie that I'd ordered from Amazon (I lost my other copy of Gettysburg, so I needed a new one post haste!), but imagine my surprise when I opened it to find a shiny copy of Ender in Exile, autographed, and in the back where my name was, autographed again with a little underline under my name.

Too awesome. I had a major dorkgasm when I saw it.

Silly person. How could you forget about such a thing? I've been counting the days. If you've received yours I should be getting mine soon too. That's the best news I've heard all week!
C3PO the Dragon Slayer
Member # 10416

- posted      Profile for C3PO the Dragon Slayer           Edit/Delete Post 
Woohoo! Mine arrived today! Really cool; OSC's signature's really loopy. I can't wait to show this to my OSC-loving friends.
Posts: 1029 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Silly person. How could you forget about such a thing? I've been counting the days. If you've received yours I should be getting mine soon too. That's the best news I've heard all week!
Well I've been really busy lately, and I usually only throught about it whenever I slipped over to this side of the board, which I only do every couple of days. Besides, I had no idea when he'd send it. It could be the day it came out, or it could have been months from now, it's not like there was a rush, but it was pretty cool of him to get on it and send them out so fast. He probably could have waited for all of us to buy it and then send them to us. That's cool of him.

C3PO -

Yeah it IS really loopy. Other than his initials, all the letters in between look like a bunch of swirls and such of indiscernable letters. Must be that eccentric author thing. I've read that famous people who autograph stuff a lot tend to adopt a signature that's easier to write and less stressful on their hands...but isn't necessarily legible. Maybe there's something to that. [Smile] But it's unique and cool, I like it.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

So I'm in Prague, and he's sending my copy to california... which means I won't receive it! My mom will though- I'm going to ask her to scan the page for me and email it. Hehe.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Woohoo! Mine arrived this afternoon. Excellent way to start the weekend.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
demosthenes9
Member # 7442

- posted      Profile for demosthenes9   Email demosthenes9         Edit/Delete Post 
Picked up a copy last night and finished it about 30 mins ago.

Overall impression is kind of mixed. It's a "good read" so to speak but it left me feeling kind of empty in the end.

***DISCLAIMER****

This is just my personal opinion. Obviously, others might read the book differently and come to a different conclusion.

The book kind of wraps up most of the loose ends and bridges some gaps, but it did so in a way that seemed rather forced.

It was almost as if Card had a list he was working from and checked them off one by one by forcing/contriving notions to make everything fit in a rather heavy handed way.

Another criticism I have is kind of a pet peeve of mine and it relates to the whole "Shadow" series.

It's hard for me to describe, but Ender and Speaker had a measure of philosophical and moral depth to them.

The Shadow series and Ender in Exile come off as nothing more than SciFi adventure stories.

I'm not saying that any of them were "bad", it's just that Ender and SFTD were just sooooo much better in my opinion.

In talking with others, we could debate the meanings in Ender and SFTD.

With Shadow books, all we could do really was debate the details.

I was really hoping that Ender in Exile would get back to to the same style of Ender or SFTD and am someone disappointed that it didn't.

Again, a good read, but nowhere near what I was hoping for.

To Mr. Card specifically, I have to seriously disagree with your statement "I think this is one of the best books I've ever written."

Granted, we are probably using different yardsticks to measure by, but Ender and SFTD are far far better than Ender in Exile in my opinion.

To be fair, I'm not sure that this book could have been much different given the constraints of what you were trying to accomplish (wrapping up loose ends, tying Ender and Shadow together, etcetera.)

Posts: 2 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
Yeah it IS really loopy. Other than his initials, all the letters in between look like a bunch of swirls and such of indiscernable letters. Must be that eccentric author thing. I've read that famous people who autograph stuff a lot tend to adopt a signature that's easier to write and less stressful on their hands...but isn't necessarily legible. Maybe there's something to that. [Smile] But it's unique and cool, I like it.

I shouldn't say anything. The last time I commented on his signature on Hatrack, I got heckled about it here and at a signing, and my autographed book has an extra little comment. [Wink]

But the first book I got autographed by OSC (in 1991) has the distinctive three loops, but all the letters in between are distinct enough to make out. The two signed in the past 5 years have the loops, but far less distinct in-between letters.

Clearly, this is proof of evolution, and efficiency is key. [Big Grin]

T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
OSC I would love a free copy of Shadow(s) in Flight, wink wink nudge nudge, come on dude I am probably the only guy here who thinks that Bean owned Ender!
Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

And that's exactly why you don't get one! Now go sit in the corner. [No No]
Orincoro
Member # 8854

Please, you'll have to have posted long and wee about all the deficiencies of OSC and his ideas, and his values, and his stances on just about everything before he sends you a free book.

I assume that's why I'm getting one- but maybe it's more like the kid no one likes who was sitting there when your Mom offered to buy ice cream for all your little friends, and his little head popped up and said.. m-m-m-me two?

stone_maiden
Member # 4071

- posted      Profile for stone_maiden   Email stone_maiden         Edit/Delete Post 
I picked mine up on Tuesday, and I just finished it. I don't want to ruin anything for anyone (I have a tendency to blab, so I'll just stop right now), but the ending felt satisfying for me. I first read Ender's Game, then SFTD, Xenocide, and COTM in middle school. I then discovered the Shadow books. I feel like this book just adds another layer or two of cohesion that makes the "Enderverse" even more three-dimensional. I loved how Graff was portrayed, I used to really dislike him but now I have so much more respect for him.

This just makes me want to go back and read everything all over again! But I can't, at least not now...I have to start studying for my finals and then study for the MCATs.

Posts: 40 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
There was another "Have children" monologue in this one.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
julianD
Member # 10450

- posted      Profile for julianD   Email julianD         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok i guess this is kind of a spoiler. I just finished exile and i feel a little let down. Now granted it is a OSC book and i do love all his work, I thought the book was going to focus on beans lost kid and it didn't really come to that part of the story until the last 3 chapters. I still enjoyed it i guess i just expected something more for that story line.
Posts: 11 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ginol_Enam
Member # 7070

- posted      Profile for Ginol_Enam           Edit/Delete Post 
So, after reading this book my interest was piqued regarding all the various Ender short stories I've never read. A quick look at wikipedia showed, however, that a lot of the IGMS short stories are contained within EiE...

Were these stories actually just inserted into EiE (the Alessandra story sounds like it could easily be her introductory chapter), or were they perhaps meant as previews? Or were they lengthened and then integrated into the novel?

I don't particularly mind since, as I said, I've never read these stories. But I could imagine being pretty frustrated if I had already read, in some form, a lot of the novels story before it had been released...

Posts: 450 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
All4Nothing
Member # 11601

I started sometime yesterday, and I finished at ll:20 something this morning. I'm highly impressed with this book. I worry more about the people that haven't read the other books than I do alot of us. We got alot of closure in this book. Alot of closure.

As far as the Ender knowing Demosthenes identity...like the avid Enderverse fan I am ....I checked it.....on the lake she never really tells Ender that she is Demosthenes. She only hints to how Peter is playing at world domination. It's possible it was contradicted in the Shadow series...I have no idea. I just know that, as a Ender fan, this book made me shed a few unexpected tears here and there.

Also for those that are in a panic about AD.....or ummm...Arkanian....the story was left open ended, so it's possible we may see more yet. [Smile]

Michiel
Member # 7649

- posted      Profile for Michiel   Email Michiel         Edit/Delete Post 
Here is an interview, tangentially on EiE
http://radio.nationalreview.com/betweenthecovers/post/?q=MmM1YWNlNTQ1MDI1OWYyNzhiZDgyZGZkOTZkY2FkYjU=

Posts: 64 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by julianD:
Ok i guess this is kind of a spoiler. I just finished exile and i feel a little let down. Now granted it is a OSC book and i do love all his work, I thought the book was going to focus on beans lost kid and it didn't really come to that part of the story until the last 3 chapters. I still enjoyed it i guess i just expected something more for that story line.

I'm perplexed as to how you could think a book with the title "Ender in Exile" would feature any other protagonist. [Confused]

On the other had, perhaps we'll get another installment dealing with just Bean and his children. "Bean's Bonanza" or "Bean's Blessing" or "Bean's Blight" or Bean's Biogenesis." [Wink]

I just finished reading my personalized, signed copy. [Big Grin] I was sad it was done. I very much enjoyed it. And I was delighted that I was able to offer some words and page numbers/references that helped in the writing of this book.

Well done, Mr. Card, and thank you!

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unmaker
Member # 1641

- posted      Profile for Unmaker   Email Unmaker         Edit/Delete Post 
Except for the continued philosophical homogeneity of OSC's heroes in recent years, I enjoyed the book. Ender still felt like Ender, even if he did seem to embrace his parents' religion more than the original sequels intimated that he would have. I was moved to tears at Graff's final letter. Good stuff (though a little anticlimatic, as are most prequels).
Posts: 1144 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rodger Brown
Member # 11476

- posted      Profile for Rodger Brown   Email Rodger Brown         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok So I am thrilled. A Young Man With Prospects is in EinE. I have been waiting for an audio version for a while now and now I have it. I know I'm weird and though I love reading there's just something about the way OSC's books are read when done in MP3/CD. To me it's more satisfying than reading them myself.
Posts: 143 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I finished reading Ender in Exile after roughly a solid straight 8 hours of reading, from the moment I sat down on the couch and finished the next morning. I loved the book it was as someone else has said above everything we could have dreamed of and more. The book had its typical Card Humor, its Joy, its Tragedy we have come to expect from Card's works, his writing style has evolved it is no longer what it was in Ender's Game but isn't what it was in the Shadow books either it IS that but more, evolved, refined, he took a great writing style and made it better there isn't a part of the book I didn't like and while it is hard for me to pick favorites, I must say the initial conversation between Alessandra and her Mother made me laugh and feel good inside. And the typical Jewish (Russian?) materialist humor between Po and Sel was hilarious and clever.

I was shocked and mismayed and how easily Alessandra's mother turned into her Grandmother, I didn't deny it I didn't go "aha Deus Ex machina" in hindsight I immediately saw that this was inevitable, it is all so tragic and this is part of Card's skill as a writer, I totally believe it.

The email conversations continue to delight me, and I will be sad in Shadow's in Flight when they are gone. For get me not, it seems like we have had the table cloth pulled right from under us, a Shadow story became an Ender story and an Ender story will not be a Shadow story, darnation! Foiled again!

Only 1 wince moment, the diatribe about heterosexual monogamous marriages being perfect and best, I wish I had never read a previous World Watch article if I never had I wouldn't have noticed it as cringe worthy as this was already in his previous Shadow Books and seemed to work alright there, and worked alright here, it just reminded me of things I rather not think about.

And yes Ender was the same Ender we know and love, a little more mature and less aflicted as he was in Ender's Game but the same Ender we know nonetheless.

Only one other disappointment, I wasn't mentioned in the back, I am fairly certain I helped as well spot possible inconsistencies.

*sighs wistfully* When is Shadow's In Flight being published?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
All4Nothing
Member # 11601

It really seems as if everything is coming together and heading towards what I think may be a very fullfilling ending. My brother is a big Bean fan, and I'm a big Ender fan. So this'll bring things together and make it so I don't have to force him to read the books after Ender's Game now.
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
quote:
quote:

Your item was misrouted. The error has been corrected and every effort is being made to deliver it as soon as possible.

[Mad]

I wonder whether I should blame USPS or UPS for the fact that it apparently took 2 days to travel less than 10 miles (from a neighboring zipcode's post office (where it was accidentally sent) to mine). [Razz] So much for the USPS -> UPS shipping being fast and efficient.

Naturally, it was delivered on Shabbos (Saturday), when I couldn't open the box. And since I needed to be at work at 9 this morning (proctoring midterms all day), I decided it was a bad idea to risk starting it last night.

I won't even be home until 8 tonight. But working all day today means I don't have to go in tomorrow, so tonight that book is MINE!

All4Nothing
Member # 11601

If you're anything like me and BB, that was probably a very good decision Rivka.
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.