FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Word of the Day (Page 7)

This topic comprises 27 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  25  26  27   
Author Topic: Word of the Day
Dobie
Member # 1130

- posted      Profile for Dobie   Email Dobie         Edit/Delete Post 
The Word of the Day for November 20 is:

beholden \bih-HOAL-dun\ (adjective)
: being under obligation for a favor or gift
: indebted

Posts: 1127 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jehovoid
Member # 2014

- posted      Profile for jehovoid   Email jehovoid         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember that word from To Kill A Mockingbird. Atticus was talking about that crazy old lady Mrs Dubois I think how she wanted to die beholden to nothing, as pure as snow on the mountain. That was a good book.
Posts: 3056 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
After we slaughtered the pig, I beholden the head while they skinned the carcass.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
Dobie, I'm having issues with the word from Nov 17.

quote:

The Word of the Day for November 17 is:
quiddity \KWIH-duh-tee\ (noun)
1 : whatever makes something the type that it is; essence
2 a : a trifling point, quibble
b : crotchet, eccentricity

It would seem like 1 and 2a would be antonyms. Is anybody else a little nervous about that?

Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I am beholden to Irami for pointing out that something should not be considered "essential" and "a trifle" at the same time.

And, yes, I'm VERY nervous about it.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Testing post. Server is down?

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dim Sum
Member # 2682

- posted      Profile for Dim Sum   Email Dim Sum         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm...
::thinking of a really good word::

Posts: 387 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for November 21 is:

omphalos \AHM-fuh-lahss\ (noun)
: a central point
: hub, focal point

Posts: 1127 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for November 21 is:

omphalos \AHM-fuh-lahss\ (noun)
: a central point
: hub, focal point

Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for November 22 is:

xylography \zye-LAH-gruh-fee\ (noun)
: the art of making engravings on wood especially for printing

Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

I hear Copenhagen is an omphalos of xylography.
Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

In xylography, one usually starts by marking the omphalos.

nik
Member # 2114

- posted      Profile for nik           Edit/Delete Post 
xylography is most efective when working out from the omphalos.

_____
_nik_

Posts: 180 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for November 23 is:
permeable \PER-mee-uh-bul\ (adjective)
: capable of being permeated : penetrable

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

By shifting the ion balance, a cell wall can become temporarily impermeable.

Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for November 24 is:

untoward \un-TOH-erd or un-TORD\ (adjective)
1 : difficult to manage
: stubborn, willful
2 : inconvenient, troublesome

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

I experienced untoward mental blocks in trying to come up with a sentence using today's word.

Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

I almost always see this word used to modify behaviour. I always thought that it meant not just willful or stubborn behaviour, but also stubborness/willfulness that is inappropriate. That fits in with def. 1, although def. 1 doesn't shade it as negatively as I thought it was, but I don't know that I've ever seen the word used as def. 2, except perhaps in Bob's sentence above. Not to be untoward, but does anyone have any examples of def. 2? Can it be used to simply mean inconvenient or is its meaning always more negative than that?
Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for November 25 is:

welkin \WELL-kun\ (noun)
1 a : the vault of the sky : firmament
1 b : the celestial abode of God or the gods
: heaven
2 : the upper atmosphere

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

On my last visit to the seashore, I tossed a welk into the welkin. As he disappeared from view I heard a booming voice say "Welcome home, Lawrence."

[This message has been edited by Bob_Scopatz (edited November 25, 2001).]

Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for November 26 is:

officious \uh-FIH-shuss\ (adjective)
1 : volunteering one's services where they are neither asked nor needed
: meddlesome
2 : informal, unofficial

Video Game Addict
Member # 2713

- posted      Profile for Video Game Addict   Email Video Game Addict         Edit/Delete Post 
That officious man acted like a police officer. . HEY! Get back here with my driver's license! Arrrrgh..
Posts: 31 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Some said she was officious, but Joan of Arc really got the job done!

Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for November 27 is:

kapellmeister \kuh-PEL-mye-ster or kah-PEL-mye-ster\ (noun, often capitalized)
: the director of a choir or orchestra

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Dobie is sort of the kapellmeister of this thread.

Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

The kapellmeister busted my tone-deaf butt with officious efficiency. Didn't he know that this was a volunteer gig? When there's only 3 guys in the entire church choir, I say you take a fourth even if his range consists of the ability to hit three notes on the lower end of bass-baritone.
Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for November 28 is:

forswear \for-SWAIR\ (verb)
1 : to make a liar of oneself under or as if under oath
2 a : to reject or renounce under oath
2b : to renounce earnestly
3 : to deny under oath

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

I hereby forswear the use of the word "forswear."
Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for November 29 is:

steadfast \STED-fast\ (adjective)
1 a : firmly fixed in place : immovable
1 b : not subject to change
2 : firm in belief, determination, or adherence
: loyal

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

I remain steadfast in my refusal to use the word "forswear."

Ooops.

Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for November 30 is:

nomenclator \NOH-mun-klay-tur\ (noun)
1 : a book containing collections or lists of words
2 : one who gives names to or invents names for things

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

This thread is kind of a virtual nomenclator.

[This message has been edited by Bob_Scopatz (edited November 30, 2001).]

Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
Foucault often accused the nomenclators for abusing their powers.
Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for December 1 is:

alembic \uh-LEM-bik\ (noun)
1 : an apparatus used in distillation
2 : something that refines or transmutes as if by distillation

Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

After looking through Bob's magazine collection, I need an alembic to help distill my thoughts.
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

alembic \uh-LEM-bik\ (noun)
1 : an apparatus used in distillation
2 : something that refines or transmutes as if by distillation

Grandad made his own liquers for "medicinal purposes" and like to refer to his still as "my pharmaceutical alembic." Usually he'd take a dose and spend the evening writing poetry.

Grandma said it was all written in the alembic pentameter.

Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for December 2 is:

hark back \HARK-BAK\ (verb)
1 : to turn back to an earlier topic or circumstance
2 : to go back to something as an origin or source

waltdisneysfrozenhead
Member # 2717

- posted      Profile for waltdisneysfrozenhead   Email waltdisneysfrozenhead         Edit/Delete Post 
"Grandma said it was all written in the alembic pentameter. "

*Bows before the master*

Posts: 1062 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nylph
Member # 2690

- posted      Profile for Nylph   Email Nylph         Edit/Delete Post 
words hurt my brain make the horror stop

the pounding pain within my head
shows to me my brain is dead
as I write this poem of pap
it occurs to me this poem is ...

*pain*

Posts: 61 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
waltdisneysfrozenhead
Member # 2717

- posted      Profile for waltdisneysfrozenhead   Email waltdisneysfrozenhead         Edit/Delete Post 
You seem to be bothered by something, Nylph. If there's something you'd like to talk about, you can tell us on Hatrack and we'll try to help. But, do it in a post devoted to what you want to talk about, please, and not in a post devoted to the word of the day.
Posts: 1062 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

I would like to hark back to the original purpose of this thread as well!

Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for December 3 is:

hare \HAIR\ (verb)
: to go swiftly
: to move or act with extreme haste

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

I must hare off to bed. It's late.

Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

I think The Rabbit's hair is brown, but I may be in err because she hared so quickly, I couldn't tell the color of that hare's hair.
Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for December 4 is:

eventuate \ih-VEN-chuh-wayt\ (verb)
: to come out finally : result

katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
The great cardoggies of yesterday eventuate into the hignorpas of today.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

"His love will eventuate," Suzie's mother used to tell her daughter. "In the meantime, we've got his car, his house, and half his money, so quit complaining!"
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

If I effectuate thisaway, will it eventuate thataway?
Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for December 5 is:

melee \MAY-lay or may-LAY\ (noun)
: a confused struggle
: especially, a hand-to-hand fight among several people

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

In the midst of the melee, Bob suddenly realized he forgot to unlock the doggie door so Scruffy could take care of business outside.

This topic comprises 27 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  25  26  27   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.