FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Word of the Day (Page 18)

This topic comprises 27 pages: 1  2  3  ...  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  ...  25  26  27   
Author Topic: Word of the Day
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
zaftig (ZAF-tik, -tig) adjective

Full-figured, pleasingly plump, buxom.

[From Yiddish zaftik (juicy), from Middle High German (saftec), from saft
(juice), from Old High German saf (sap).]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fael
Member # 3015

- posted      Profile for Fael   Email Fael         Edit/Delete Post 
At the museum the masters paintings are filled with zaftig bodies, make some of us wish we lived in an earlier age.
Posts: 765 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fael
Member # 3015

At the museum the masters paintings are filled with zaftig bodies, make some of us wish we lived in an earlier age.
Posts: 765 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
"Funny, zaftig Margret Cho"
Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
The word of the day for May 2, 2002 is:

kvetch (kvech) verb intr.

To complain habitually, whine; gripe.

noun

1. A chronic complainer.

2. A complaint.

[From Yiddish kvetshn (squeeze, pinch, complain), from Middle High German
quetschen (to squeeze).]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aretee
Member # 1743

- posted      Profile for aretee   Email aretee         Edit/Delete Post 
My students kvetch about doing work in school.
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

The word for the day for May 3, 2002 is:

schlep (shlep) also schlepp, shlep, shlepp

verb tr.

To drag or haul something.

verb intr.

To move clumsily or tediously.

noun

1. A tedious journey.

2. Someone who is slow or awkward.

[From Yiddish shlepn (to drag, pull) from Middle High German sleppen, from
Middle Low German slepen.]

aretee
Member # 1743

The young schlep schleped on the schlep.

(Are you going to smurf the smurf all the way to the smurf?)

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fael
Member # 3015

I refuse to try and come up with anything after artee's artful announcement
celia60
Member # 2039

Usually, people just schlep through alliteration, but Fael makes it just roll of the tongue.
Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fael
Member # 3015

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

The word for the day for May 4, 2002 is:

The Word of the Day for May 4 is:

quadrennial • \kwah-DREH-nee-ul\ • (adjective)
1 : consisting of or lasting for four years
*2 : occurring or being done every four years

Unseen
Member # 3227

- posted      Profile for Unseen   Email Unseen         Edit/Delete Post 
For college dorm residents, cleaning the room is often a quadrennial chore.
Posts: 237 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
Another quadrennial chore is replacing the incumbent oaf in the White House. Why can't we ever pick political leaders based on merit? When is the last time we had a president who wouldn't have been over his head trying to be mayor of a moderate-sized town? When is the last time we had a president who was qualified to do anything better than work in the mail room at GM?
Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

The Word of the Day for Cinco de Mayo, 2002 is:

courseware • \KORSS-wair\ • (noun)
: educational software

Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
My courseware teaches me that Mexico was grief-stricken when the Titanic sank, because the ship was meant to sail on to Veracruz after stopping in New York, and it carried a huge consignment of mayonnaise. The Mexicans had been so eagerly anticipating the improvement in their sandwiches, that when they heard the Titanic had sunk, their keen disappointment led them to declare a day of national mourning that they observe to this day. They called it "Sinko-de-Mayo."
Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aretee
Member # 1743

My quadrennial courseware was outdated by the time I graduated.

Sinko de Mayo, that was...um...good? *chuckles*

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

The word for the day for 5/6/02 is:

estoppel (e-STOP-el) noun

A bar preventing one from asserting a claim inconsistent from what was
previously stated, especially when it has been relied upon by others.

[From Old French estoupail (bung, cork) from estouper (stopper).]

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

The word for the day for May 7, 2002 is:

laches (LACH-iz) noun

Negligence in the performance of a duty or claiming an opportunity,
especially the failure to assert a legal claim in time, that makes it
invalid.

[From Middle English lachesse, from Anglo French, from Middle French
laschesse, from Old French lasche (slack), ultimately from Latin laxare
(to loosen).]

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

The word of the day for May 8, 2002 is:

solatium (so-LAY-shee-um) noun

Compensation for emotional suffering, injured feeling, inconvenience,
grief, etc. (as opposed to physical injury, financial loss, for example).

[From Latin solatium, variant of solacium (to comfort), from solari
(to console).]

celia60
Member # 2039

I live in the hope of some solatium in spite of my past laches.
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

The word for the day for May 9, 2002 is:

sui juris (SOO-eye joor-is, SOO-ee) adjective

Legally competent to manage one's affairs or assume responsibility.

[From Latin sui juris, from sui (of one's own) juris (right).]

kenspigle
Member # 3443

- posted      Profile for kenspigle   Email kenspigle         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry I'm a few days late on this but I am new to the site and BRAND new to "Word of the Day" - Was it Tenzing Norgay who said, "We Sherpas were schleppers for Edmund on Everest"? If not, it should have been

Ken

Posts: 10 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Welcome Ken, and thank you for that fine example of the principle of sui juris.
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

The word for the day for May 10, 2002 is:

mittimus (MIT-uh-muhs) noun

An official order to commit someone to prison.

[From Latin, literally "we send" from mittere (to send).]

kenspigle
Member # 3443

- posted      Profile for kenspigle   Email kenspigle         Edit/Delete Post 
Dateline: Boston, January 23, 2003: Recently elected Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney today issued a mittimus for the arrest and incarceration of talk show host Don Imus, for alleged "crimes against good taste." An appeal is expected.
Posts: 10 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

The Word of the Day for May 11 is:

uxorial • \uk-SOR-ee-ul or ug-ZOR-ee-ul\ • (adjective)
: of, relating to, or characteristic of a wife

LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
Though Issa was Kreb's sister, her role at his hearth was uxorial.

[This message has been edited by LadyDove (edited May 11, 2002).]

Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

His skull was dented by the uxorial rolling pin, but it made no difference in his state of consciousness since he was feeling no pain anyway.
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

The Word of the Day for May 12 is:

memento • \muh-MEN-toh\ • (noun)
: something that serves to warn or remind; also : souvenir

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

The Word of the Day for May 13 is:

indagate • \IN-duh-gayt\ • (verb)
: to search into : investigate

celia60
Member # 2039

I must indagate this thread if I want to improve my vernacular.
Human
Member # 2985

- posted      Profile for Human   Email Human         Edit/Delete Post 
I indagate many things.
Posts: 3658 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

Oops! Nobody did anything for May 12. OK, "The knot on his head was a memento of the uxorial rolling pin."
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
Connie Chung was looking for something funky to bring back from her trip to Ecuador so she picked up a novelty shrunken head. She calls it her 'memento maury.'
Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

The word for the day for 5/14/2002 is:

Siberia (sy-BEER-ee-uh) noun

An undesirable or isolated location assigned to those who have fallen
out of favor or being disciplined.

[After Siberia, a vast region of Russia in Northern Asia, used as a place
of exile by the former USSR.]

Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

Zal, all alone in a Siberia of wry humor, cries out, "Where are my props people? Someone show me the love!"
Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

When the KGB leader, Beria, ordered his secret agent in Spain to track down a defector who had escaped to that country, the agent replied, "Si, Beria."
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
*giggle giggle* Ron is becoming quite funny.

I remember my early years of college, when I was so poor, I could only afford the parking offered in Siberia, far away from any of my classes.

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
silentbob106
Member # 3477

- posted      Profile for silentbob106   Email silentbob106         Edit/Delete Post 
I am a pilot, and last week i was flying a cargo plane over Siberia and we crashed; because it is so cold in Siberia i looked to find something warm only to realize my shipment was boxes full of lingerie.

[This message has been edited by silentbob106 (edited May 14, 2002).]

Posts: 7 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

The word for the day for 5/15/2002 is:

lido (LEE-do) noun

A fashionable beach resort or a public open-air swimming pool.

[From Lido, an island reef in northeastern Italy, between the Lagoon of
Venice and the Adriatic Sea, site of a famous beach resort.]

Fael
Member # 3015

When silentbob106 crashed the plane in Siberia, we all thought we would freeze, but then we found that we were right next to a lido for the polar bear club.
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

But when silentbob106 waddled into the Polar Bear Club swaddled with layers and layers of lingerie, we all laughed until our sides hurt so bad we had to be administered lidocaine.
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

The word for the day for May 15, 2002 is:

Rosetta stone (ro-ZET-uh stohn) noun

A clue or key that helps in understanding of a previously insolvable
puzzle.

[After Rosetta stone, a black basalt stone tablet found in 1799 near
Rosetta in northern Egypt in the Nile river delta. The tablet, now held
in the British Museum, has the same message written in two languages
(Egyptian and Greek) using three different scripts (hieroglyphic, demotic,
and Greek). Discovery of this tablet, dating from 196 BC, made possible
the interpretation of ancient Egyptian hieroglyphs.]

celia60
Member # 2039

Will the human genome really be the Rosetta stone we've been searching for in the fight against cancer?
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

*Ahem*

quote:

He looked deep into her eyes. She was hot. Wore a black leather jacket. Thin cause she smoked so many Gauloise Blondes. And a mind that would not quit. A grad student in linguistics. Undergrad in comp lit AND classics from UC Santa Cruz. Could wrap her tongue and throat around any sound or syllable from Farsi to Tagalog.
He leaned in a little closer. "Jenny," he whispered. "Will you be my personal Rosetta Stone?"
She laughed. Well, snorted really. "How long did it take you to come up with that one?"

A pause. He squirmed. It had been completely impromptu. Had popped into his head and come out of his mouth like he was expecting some zenith of a moment. "Damn," he thought. "Where's the rewind?"

"No I will most emphatically not be your personal Rostta Stone," she said. "I will not be your personal anything. This relationship will not be based on ownership. You know how I feel about..."

He didn't hear the rest of what she said because he was counting her tobacco-stained teeth.

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

The word of the day for Friday May 15, 2002 is:

pharos (FAR-os) noun

A lighthouse.

[After Pharos, a peninsula in Northern Egypt in the Mediterranean Sea, site
of an ancient lighthouse built by Ptolemy, one of the Seven Wonders of the
World.]

[This message has been edited by Bob_Scopatz (edited May 17, 2002).]

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

The Word of the Day for May 18 is:

congruous • \KONG-groo-uss\ • (adjective)
1 a : being in agreement, harmony, or correspondence *b : conforming to the circumstances or requirements of a situation : appropriate
2 : marked or enhanced by harmonious agreement among constituent elements

Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

There were two clubs in that part of Bucharest--the Lido and the Pharos. I knew it wasn't congruous with the black tag on my chest, but I had a greenie fresh out of the MTC who was going to keel over with hunger if we didn't get something to eat and soon, so we stepped in to the Lido. While we were gulping down chorba de perishoare, the floor show started.

Damn! I had forgotten about that aspect of the Lido. "Elder," I said. "Keep your eyes in your soup bowl." I'm going to go have them wrap our pork steaks to go.

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

The Word of the Day for May 19 is:

edulcorate • \ih-DUL-kuh-rayt\ • (verb)
: to free from harshness (as of attitude) : soften

This topic comprises 27 pages: 1  2  3  ...  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  ...  25  26  27   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.