FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Word of the Day (Page 10)

This topic comprises 27 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ...  25  26  27   
Author Topic: Word of the Day
Dobie
Member # 1130

- posted      Profile for Dobie   Email Dobie         Edit/Delete Post 
HAPPY NEW YEAR 2002!

The Word of the Day for January 1 is:

neoteric \nee-uh-TARE-ik\ (adjective)
: recent in origin
: modern

Posts: 1127 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Baldar
Member # 2861

- posted      Profile for Baldar           Edit/Delete Post 
Baldar takes a neoteric look at ancient tomes.

In Matrix could Neo be taken from this word? Or the just the general suffix root neo meaning new?

Posts: 6449 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
After partying last night, I feel neoterrific this morning.

Broderick, the neurotic neoteric had a bone to pick, but just got sick, and he's so thick that the relation between one and the other didn't click!

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
A toast to Jack, who's idea this was, and who apparently never returned.

He'll never know what hell he hath wrought!

Thanks for a fun 2001 Dobie!

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for January 2 is:

penchant \PEN-chunt\ (noun)
: a strong and continued inclination
: broadly, liking

Posts: 1127 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Dobie has a penchant for Word of the Day, I'd say.

Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for January 3 is:

circuitous \ser-KYOO-uh-tuss\ (adjective)
1 : having a circular or winding course
2 : not being forthright or direct in language or action

Perelandra
Member # 3632

- posted      Profile for Perelandra           Edit/Delete Post 
The orbit of the planets around the sun is certainly NOT circuitous.
Posts: 17 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Via a typically circuitous route, the professor managed to cram 15 minutes of material into a 90 minute lecture.
Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for January 4 is:

cavalcade \kav-ul-KAYD or KAV-ul-kayd\ (noun)
1 a : a procession of riders or carriages
1 b : a procession of vehicles or ships
2 : a dramatic sequence or procession
: series

Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
I have spelled calvalcade with a "u" for the last 10 years.

Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for January 5 is:

facile \FASS-ul\ (adjective)
1 a : easily accomplished, handled, or attained
1 b : superficial
2 : readily manifested and often insincere
3 : ready, fluent

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

He tried to assemble a cavalcade, but, having managed the process in his usually facile manner, ended up with three ponies, a dog, and several pigeons milling around the courtyard.

Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for January 6 is:

perennial \puh-REH-nee-ul\ (adjective)
1 : present at all seasons of the year
2 : continuing to live from year to year
3 a : persistent, enduring
3 b : continuing without interruption
: constant, perpetual
3 c : regularly repeated or renewed : recurrent

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

"Perennial" is one of those words that keeps cropping up over and over again.

Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for January 7 is:

melange \may-LAHNZH or may-LAHNJ\ (noun)
: a mixture often of incongruous elements

jacare
Member # 950

- posted      Profile for jacare   Email jacare         Edit/Delete Post 
Melange certainly seems to describe Hatrack.
Posts: 175 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

"Oh," he said, averting his eyes and feeling somewhat abashed, "I thought you said 'melange etois.' You two just go ahead without me."

jacare
Member # 950

- posted      Profile for jacare   Email jacare         Edit/Delete Post 
You mean melange isn't something you put on your toast?
Posts: 175 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for January 8 is:

glom \GLAHM\ (verb)
1 : take, steal
2 : seize, catch

aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Dictionary compilers tend to be functionally illiterate inre nuance/connotation: eg 'glom' carries with it the feeling of gluelike stickiness/attachment.
"1 : take, steal " in the sense of near kleptomania except that it is for a particular object rather than a general compulsion: 'sticky fingers' meet an overly tempting ('sticky') object. And even in this meaning, one can pay for the object at the checkout counter and still have (the feeling of having) glommed it.
"2 : seize, catch" in the sense that the glommed object doesn't slide/bounce off; eg an idea that is understood&sticks, captures the imagination.
quote:
Why have a flat display if you're going to glom all this stuff on its back?

[This message has been edited by aspectre (edited January 08, 2002).]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

He would glom onto an idea like a pit bull with a small child's arm.

Baldar
Member # 2861

- posted      Profile for Baldar           Edit/Delete Post 
Wasn't there a skateboard movie called "Gloming the cube" or was that about stealing dice?
Posts: 6449 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
It was Gleaming the Cube. Yikes...bad memories man.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for January 9 is:

pittance \PIH-tunss\ (noun)
: a small portion, amount, or allowance
: also, a meager wage or remuneration

Video Game Addict
Member # 2713

- posted      Profile for Video Game Addict   Email Video Game Addict         Edit/Delete Post 
"Dad.. this allowance is mere pittance!"
"WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?!"

-VGA-

Posts: 31 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

"Shall I survive on this pittance of your affection?"

"Yes," she replied, "and be glad of it!"

Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for January 10 is:

sotto voce \sah-toh-VOH-chee\ (adverb or adjective)
1 : under the breath : in an undertone
: also, in a private manner
2 : very softly -- used as a direction in music

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

He walked away, mumbling sotto voce about Love hurts so good!

jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure but wouldn't it be sottoly/sottoley?
Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
*mutters softly* dude, if you read dobie's posting it says that it can be used as either an adjective --OR-- an adverb.
Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for January 11 is:

wherewithal \WHAIR-with-awl\ (noun)
: means, resources
: specifically, money

ChaoticBlizzard
Member # 2914

- posted      Profile for ChaoticBlizzard   Email ChaoticBlizzard         Edit/Delete Post 
I won't have any wherewithal to buy anything, until the 25 on my birthday. Can't wait, turning 16.
Posts: 97 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for January 12 is:

haruspex \huh-RUSS-peks\ (noun)
: a diviner in ancient Rome basing his predictions on inspection of the entrails of sacrificial animals

Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

I was labeled a heretic when I mentioned to the haruspex that he might be more effective if he used throwing sticks.
Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dspeyer
Member # 758

- posted      Profile for dspeyer   Email dspeyer         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a test post, please ignore.
Posts: 643 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

The haruspex discovered that he would never have the wherewithal to buy his way out of slavery by reading augeries for coins. So, he gathered up his entrails and openned a sausage shop instead.

Perelandra
Member # 3632

Grrrrrrrrrrrr
Posts: 17 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for January 13 is:

deem \DEEM\ (verb)
transitive sense
: to come to think or judge
: consider
intransitive sense
: to have an opinion
: believe

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Perelandra deems it in poor taste to make jokes about sausages.
Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for January 14 is:

cacophony \ka-KAH-fuh-nee\ (noun)
: harsh or discordant sound
: dissonance
:specifically, harshness in the sound of words or phrases

Perelandra
Member # 3632

Sam, fearful for his life, trembled in terror as the cacophony of the mob climbed higher and higher. Though he could not make out a word, he knew his life was in danger, and there was no place to run. A light fell upon one of the crowd. The man looked angry- death and hate were spoken by the sneer marring the surface of his face. The man was holding an axe handle, and his movements belied his desire to break pain into Sam's frail body.
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

The cacophony of children's voices having finally sent him over the edge, the ice cream man just drove around all day, refrigerator unit turned off, melted ice cream dripping from the rear doors, and a haunting tune running through his head.

Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for January 15 is:
clochard \kloh-SHAR\ (noun)
: tramp, vagrant

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

"...and this," said the proud collector, "is my clochard. He's a bit dirty, but I think that lends an air of authenticity, don't you?"

Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for January 16 is:

frigorific \frih-guh-RIH-fik\ (adjective)
: causing cold
: chilling

Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

First he said that nothing was more frigorific than the thought of Martha Stewart in a tank top. And then she said that it was merely soporific. And then I said that I thought it was totally terrific and isn't it too bad that K-Mart is going bankrupt because I was looking forward to more Martha commercials. She's a blue-friggen-light special in my book.

Well that pretty much brought the conversation to a halt. Until he had to bring up Foucault again. That led to the most sophmoric discussion of mega-super-stores as an expression of the new counter-panopticonic tendencies of late-fast-track capitalism that I've ever heard. And believe me, I've heard a lot of them.

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

lol.

I might have once promised that it'd be a cold day in hell before I did such-and-such. now, having spent 10 pages in Dobie's Word of the Day, I would now say that:

Hades would be frigorific 'ere I engaged in behavior uncharacteristic of my modal personality.

Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for January 17 is:

gauntlet \GAWNT-lut or GAHNT-lut\ (noun)
1 : a protective glove
2 : an open challenge (as to combat)
3 : a dress glove extending above the wrist

Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

From the OED:

1658 COKAINE Trappolin III. ii, These hands, that wont to wave a dreadful sword, Instead of iron gauntlets now must wear Perfum'd gloves!

This topic comprises 27 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ...  25  26  27   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.