FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The "Interesting, Space Related News" Thread (Page 10)

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11   
Author Topic: The "Interesting, Space Related News" Thread
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
I can see it now, "Percy Jackson and the Suspender Thief".
Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
First possible habitable exo-planet discovered! Only 20 light years away!

Washington Post article here

Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
The thing I found really interesting about this discover is the background on how the technology and process for observing exoplanets has really advanced just in the last ten years. The article I read said that they never would have been able to do this in the nineties or early aughts.

I'll bet the Kepler folks are pretty jealous. They found this sucker with the Keck I. Bested by a planet-side telescope!

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
The thing I found really interesting about this discover is the background on how the technology and process for observing exoplanets has really advanced just in the last ten years. The article I read said that they never would have been able to do this in the nineties or early aughts.

I'll bet the Kepler folks are pretty jealous. They found this sucker with the Keck I. Bested by a planet-side telescope!

It's not like Kepler hasn't found anything yet.
Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Sure, but what they found was even cooler!
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm surprised that no one here has commented on this Supernova.

I've been looking for it in my telescope the last two nights, and although I haven't picked out the pinwheel nebula, (surface brightness is way too low, and too much light pollution) I'm sure I'm looking in the right place. So I can say that I probably saw the supernova, even though I couldn't say which star it was.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this either.

It's not about space, per se, but if Congress kills the James Webb, we'll be seeing a lot less of it.

Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought that whoever bumped this was going to be talking about China making plans to move an asteroid into relatively near-earth-orbit in order to mine it.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I actually don't have a problem with this, though, I don't really see the point. My only quibble would be that there needs to be international standards on subjects that have global ramifications. If they're going to do this, everyone needs to approve.

It's one thing if they want to mine and pollute themselves to death (though, that has global ramifications too), it's another to push an asteroid towards earth where it could wipe out a country, or more.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Kepler finds first planet in the sweet spot
Jake
Member # 206

- posted      Profile for Jake           Edit/Delete Post 
I was actually just coming here to post that.
Posts: 1087 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
If they're going to do this, everyone needs to approve.

Meh.

With the pace of space-related development, I'm not very eager for countries sitting on their butts to vote against ambitious projects out of sour grapes.

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Habitable Exo-planet Catalog
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
In response to that bit of pithiness, Mucus, I'll reply that perhaps much of the world isn't too eager to have the country that can't keep lead out of the blood of their children be the one pulling potentially dangerous objects into orbit around the planet we're all on.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

If "everyone need[ed] to approve" Russia's first man into space or America's first man to the moon, I'm sure we'd still be here twiddling our thumbs on Earth.

If the US has concerns and wants to help out by sharing technology or information about spaceflight and/or asteroid mining, all the power to them. But in the meantime, I'm happy that the emerging economies like China, India, etc. have ambitious space programmes and aren't likely to ask for permission.

Edit to add: Plan is also for 2049

[ December 11, 2011, 01:06 PM: Message edited by: Mucus ]

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Oh, I'm not necessarily of the opinion that everyone should have to approve first either, but rejecting that call as sour grapes seems strange to me. The Chinese reputation for quality control and transparency is, shall we say, spotty, and given the potential dangerousness of bringing an asteroid into Earth orbit, concerns don't seem very strange to me.

But as for if/when this would ever be done, I expect/hope that in the near two generations between now and then the prospect will be much less daunting and fraught with risk anyway.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

There are also potential dangers to sitting on our butts and not having any experience on how to deal with asteroids. There are risks either way.
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

I'm not sure if you're just word-gamin' with me here, Mucus. Sure, there are risks and consequences to every action and inaction. That's a given. Just like there are risks for any group deciding to do this with an asteroid as a starting point, risks which grow or shrink depending on that group's reliability. It's far from surprising that some would be worried about China's industrial reliability and trustworthiness when it comes to safety and quality control is all I'm saying.

There would be substantial concerns if anyone were to try this sort of thing, of course, as no industry is perfect. And I'm hardly suggesting that China is alone in having a problem with safe, trustworthy industry-we've got our own problems too. Worse than they ought to be!

It's just, y'know, there are risks for anyone and risks for *everyone* and when the anyone affecting everyone has the kind of reputation China does for safety and, concern is more than sour grapes. That's all.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I guess I should have said, everyone gets a say, rather than everyone needs to approve, and I stand firm on that. There are several UN treaties regarding space behavior, from the neutrality of the moon, to guards against weaponizing space, etc. If we're going to start throwing asteroids around, there needs to be internationally agreed upon safeguards. Whether that means the United Nations does it, or all the big space faring nations get together to come to an agreement, I don't know.

China sending a man to the moon, and India pressing forward with space based solar panels that beam energy back to the earth are commendable and I wish them the best. Moving asteroids into our orbit is a whole different ball of wax.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

This weekend is the big day!

Space X will launch Dragon to the ISS in the first ever private launch to the space station.

Beginning of a new era. [Smile]

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Also, I can't find a link off the top of my head, but there were a bunch of stories recently about how private companies are putting up BILLIONS of dollars to work on private asteroid mining.
aspectre
Member # 2222

A certain degree of cynicism, but a relatively fair and fairly detailed look at Google, Microsoft, Cameron, and PlanetaryResources. At least it has enough names and jargon to help further searches. And a 3minute PlanetaryResources video.

Having sampled other articles, reporters are apparently hired for lack of curiosity, low attention span, and utter disinterest in anything that might resemble learning.

[ May 18, 2012, 11:52 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

Huh, they're planning on moving an asteroid even closer than the Chinese proposal. Cool.
Jake
Member # 206

The Falcon 9 launch was scuttled. They'll be trying again next week.
Posts: 1087 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jake
Member # 206

Woo! The ship is in the air!
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
Curiosity is touching down later today.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Curiosity has its own Twitter feed, thus humanized enough to make me sad. If it crashes, I am going be heartbroken.

On the other hand, if this landing procedure works, do you think the Vulcans will be impressed enough to make first contact?

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

If it crashes I'll be inconsolable.

I've been pining for this for months.

Szymon
Member # 7103

- posted      Profile for Szymon   Email Szymon         Edit/Delete Post 
So have I. Years of hard work can be undone within seconds.
Posts: 723 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sala
Member # 8980

- posted      Profile for Sala           Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently all went well with Curiosity! Yeah!
Posts: 315 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
It landed on a martian cat.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

It was really quite exhilarating to watch the live JPL feed and simulator this morning during the final 45 min or so.

Honestly, I didn't see how the mouse trap of Martian landings could possibly have everything go right, but they pulled it off. It was quite a show.

Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
What's the best way to watch footage from the landing now?
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
With popcorn.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by Raymond Arnold:
What's the best way to watch footage from the landing now?

This is some of the feed leading up to the landing. You can decide which parts you want to watch depending on how much of the pre-landing chatter you want to hear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ljh96FjvGBI

sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
Mars Rover's Discoveries

quote:
After completing a difficult landing on the Martian surface last week, NASA’s car-sized rover Curiosity has begun deploying its highly advanced cameras and instruments, which will provide the most thorough data on the Red Planet yet. Here are several of its early discoveries:

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I started reading the list before noticing what site I was on.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]
Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
It does make me wonder... if life from another planet that WASN'T Mars landed ON Mars before they came to Earth, and they found our assorted rovers just... sitting there, what kind of impression would that leave?
Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
That we were in the very, very early stages of exploring our solar system?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
Twitter feed--Sarcastic Rover. That is all.
Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Szymon
Member # 7103

You've all probably seen it. But it is so breathtakingly beautiful...
http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/msl/multimedia/pia16105.html

Posts: 723 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

[b]Tinros<b>: It does make me wonder... if life from another planet that WASN'T Mars landed ON Mars before they came to Earth, and they found our assorted rovers just... sitting there, what kind of impression would that leave?

That Earthlings are a buncha litterbugs; and a scan of Earth orbit would lead them to conclude that Earthlings are a buncha incurable litterbugs.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Massive filament eruption on the sun captured by NASA
Szymon
Member # 7103

My telescope is big enough. But will I really need it?!
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Just watched the SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket launch into orbit. Cool! [Smile]
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jake
Member # 206

I'm glad they took the time to make sure the launch was successful.

It's nice to see this thread again; I always did like this one.

theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
... And the NASA budget cuts mean that half of planetary scientists may have to leave the field permanently in the next two years. It's not getting a lot of press.

There's an article here:
http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2013/12/nasa-might-stop-exploring-the-planets-heres-why-thats-terrible/282012/

This explains it a little bit:

http://emexastris.wordpress.com/2013/12/03/psdranda/

Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
who are the figures most responsible for nasa's budgetary situation, anyway?

whoever they are, i feel they need extra villainization.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

Congress and the sequester, mostly. I don't know if it's possible to villianize them any more.
  This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.