FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The "Interesting, Space Related News" Thread (Page 3)

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  9  10  11   
Author Topic: The "Interesting, Space Related News" Thread
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
An article from March 1, 2004 issue of Aviation Week & Space Technology about harnessing zero point energy for space transportation.
Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peterh
Member # 5208

- posted      Profile for peterh   Email peterh         Edit/Delete Post 
*ba-da-bump*
SETI

Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Allen funding a SETI array is fantastic, isn't it?

I was just reading about China's lunar rover, which they intend to launch in 2012 to scout for a lunar base location. Very cool, but I'm a little puzzled. The article says that among other things, the rover would carry "seismological gear to register quake activity on the moon". I was under the impression that the mood was seismologically inactive--that its core was cool, and there was no movement of plates or anything of the kind. So...what would be generating the seismological activity they seem to be looking for? Are they just being cautious (never a bad idea), or is there something obvious I'm overlooking?

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peterh
Member # 5208

Mach 7
Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I was about to say, "Hasn't mach 7 been done?" but it turns out that the X-15 only hit mach 6.7.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
In belated news, apparently some time in the past week all five naked-eye viewable planets (Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn) were visible in the sky at the same time.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Still are, I think.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

I hope that they're wrong.
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
D'oh!
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Right out of Red Mars! LOL!
Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

If you've been wanting a fairly detailed list of current and upcoming space missions from the world's space agencies, you'll find this article from Wired useful.
Noemon
Member # 1115

Mars has either life or active volcanos, one or the other, it would seem.
BYuCnslr
Member # 1857

- posted      Profile for BYuCnslr   Email BYuCnslr         Edit/Delete Post 
It'd be ironic if they were green.
Satyagraha

Posts: 1986 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey!

This is really interesting, space related news!!!!!

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peterh
Member # 5208

Solar Booty
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice article, but I get a little bit nervous when any articly uses the words Space, Probe and Booty in the same sentence. Sounds like a South Park Alien episode.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zamphyr
Member # 6213

- posted      Profile for Zamphyr           Edit/Delete Post 
Burt Rutan & co. become 1st private company to obtain FAA liscense to launch people to a height of 100 kilometres.

It's about time. I was getting tired of hearing about the X-prize for years without anyone actually launching anything. Now we can look forward to some actually manned testing this summer *crosses fingers*

Posts: 349 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
no one is commenting on this? I thought this was HUGE...
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Oh, it's definitely huge, and I'm very happy about it. I just don't have much to add on the subject at the moment.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll wait until they actually get it up there. But still, this is a step in the right direction.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Here is a proposal that I'm heartily in favor of.
BYuCnslr
Member # 1857

Can you say awesome tea?
Satyagraha

Posts: 1986 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
Noemon, YES!

quote:
"A known threat that can potentially destroy millions of lives and can be predicted to occur ahead of time, and prevented, cannot responsibly go unaddressed," he said.
Thank goodness people are finally paying attention. I didn't realize all those astronauts and people read hatrack, did you? [Smile]
Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Maybe ssywak pointed them in our direction! [Smile]
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
To remedy this, Schweickart said the US should "adopt the goal of altering the orbit of an asteroid, in a controlled manner, by 2015".
Please dear God tell me they're not going to do this someplace close to Earth. I don't want to hear anyone say "Oops" doing such a thing.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry about that, chief. Missed it by that much.
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
A general question... anyone know what the current estimate for the # of galaxies in the universe is? (And, a related question, what the average # of stars per galaxy is?)

I've heard some #s for how many galaxies there are... but I kinda get the impression that no one's too concerned about making estimates since they get outdated pretty fast...

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

You read numbers that are all over the place, but I use 200,000,000,000 for the stars in the milky way. Does that count as a typical galaxy? It really depends on how small of a dwarf-galaxy you count as one galaxy. Do the magellenic clouds count as galaxies in their own right? Or are they just sattelite galaxies to our galaxy? Certainly there are enormous elliptical galaxies which are far bigger than ours, as well the dwarfs. So I guess it's reasonable to take the Milky Way as being of typical size.

As for galaxies in the universe, I don't have a number in my head for that, but I'm thinking it's in the same ballpark. On the order of hundreds of billions. It wouldn't surprise me if that was off by a factor of 1000 either way. [Smile]

Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

And remember that what we in the U.S. call a billion (10^9), the Brits call a thousand million. I think when they say billion they mean what we call a trillion or 10^12. That adds some confusion, for sure. The Canadians and Australians probably use the British nomenclature, too. Anything by Stephen Hawking or Freeman Dyson will use that terminology, I assume. Of the others, I'm not entirely sure who is from the U.S. and who from Britain. Kip Thorn is American, isn't he?
BYuCnslr
Member # 1857

In Search of Gravitomagnetism.
The space probe was just launched! It'll be extremely interesting to see what happens.
Reuters article
NASA article

[ April 21, 2004, 03:55 AM: Message edited by: BYuCnslr ]

Jim-Me
Member # 6426

Rutan had a successful test:

http://www.latimes.com/news/science/la-sci-xprize14may14,1,7926559.story?coll=la-home-headlines

Login as "edodo", password "academy"

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Solar wind shields earth from radiation during pole flips.

Fascinating stuff.

Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Is Earth doomed to become another Mars? Is part of the reason that Mars is now desolate because it cooled faster than us, due to it's smaller size, and lost it's shields? How fast is the Earth cooling? How long do we have to get offworld?? Ahhh!!! [Wink]
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Amateur Rocket Makes it into Space.
Noemon
Member # 1115

EU Commissions Super Space Suit.
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
Not wanting to waste an opportunity, I wanted to share the latest poop on a major problem in long-term space voyages.

Sewage you think of it. Personally, I'm flushed - this is excretely exciting!
Pooped Out in Deep Space

quote:
On a two-year trip to Mars, according to one estimate, a crew of six humans will generate more than six tons of solid organic waste--much of it feces. So what do you do with all that?
Right now, astronaut waste gets shipped back to Earth. But for long-term exploration, you'd want to recycle it, because it holds resources that astronauts will need. It will provide pure drinking water. It will provide fertilizer. And, with the help of a recently discovered microbe, it will also provide electricity.

Like many bacteria, this one, a member of the Geobacteraceae family, feeds on, and can decompose, organic material. Geobacter microbes were first discovered in the muck of the Potomac River in 1987; they like to live in places where there's no oxygen and plenty of iron. They also have the unexpected ability to move electrons into metal. That means that under the right conditions, Geobacter microbes can both process waste and generate electricity.

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
Derail: Jim-Me, I gotta ask. Did you attend the Air Force Academy, have friends that did, grow up in C. Springs, or something else?
Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Venus Clouds 'Might Harbour Life'
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

I attened Academy Prep School, Graduated in '87, enteredt the Academy as Class of '91, went stop out, returned as '92, resigned in lieu of disenrollment for Honor in January of 1992.

On Edodo, if you frequent the site, I post as "Wannabe".

Noemon
Member # 1115

Cassini has successfully entered into orbit around Saturn!
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
[The Wave]
*and the crowd goes wild*

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Huzzah!

Any photos yet?

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, Noemon -- do you have a link to a site that will be posting photos as soon as they get them back from Cassini?

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

I don't yet, but I'll be posting a link as soon as I find one. I'm kind of camping out at space.com for the next little while.
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
I found a really grainy picture of the rings with interference patterns all over it.

Nothing to write home about...

Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Better pictures are coming, barring disaster. Much better.

[ July 01, 2004, 01:30 PM: Message edited by: Noemon ]

Noemon
Member # 1115

Hubble Discovers 100 New Planets
Noemon
Member # 1115

Cassini's first images of Saturn From Orbit
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Double the planets, double the fun!
Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

I'm so excited about Cassini! I was very scared of that maneuver of shooting through the ring plane while inserting itself into orbit. It seemed quite risky for several reasons, but thank goodness they've pulled it off!

Now we should get AMAZING pictures from Saturn for several years!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't describe how thrilled about that I am. [Smile]

I was looking on the first page, going, "Where is the Cassini thread?" Then I saw this one and knew that Noemon had come through. [Smile]

<Bows and does the special Knights of Noemon hand sign>

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  9  10  11   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.