FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The "Interesting, Space Related News" Thread (Page 8)

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11   
Author Topic: The "Interesting, Space Related News" Thread
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Pfft. Missile silo? That thing's clearly a pupil.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
If that's a pupil, who the heck is the instructor?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

- posted      Profile for SoaPiNuReYe           Edit/Delete Post 
[Roll Eyes]
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
If that's a pupil, who the heck is the instructor?

God?
Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by SoaPiNuReYe:
[Roll Eyes]

[Big Grin]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
I read about this yesterday, but it was lacking on the methodology and how the scientists came to this conclusion. The updated stories today make it look much more likely and offers some good theories and evidence.

Mars did have oceans, and should still have water below the surface.

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm really hoping to see space exploration as an important plank in the upcoming presidential election. How hard is it to get a pro-space president?

I want to see people on Mars before I die!

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
MC -

You don't vote anyway, what's it matter?

I saw an article in the news the other day that the satellite that observes hurricane formations in the Atlantic was on the verge of failing and we have nothing to replace it. In other words, we're close to not having ANY warning system for hurricanes in the Atlantic. Anyone hear anything specific on this?

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
Ooooo! Space burn!

I need to know which candidate to impotently complain didn't win by a one vote margin. [Razz]

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Fair nuff' [Smile]
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
Lyr, I'm not sure on exact details of which satellite may be dying without a direct replacement, but I can positively confirm that there are still govt weather satellites monitoring the east coast for severe weather. One was just launched last year (GOES N) and is in good health.

doesn't suprise me if a given constellation doesn't have a replacement ready right away (though they generally try for that) but there are multiple constellations of satellites watching that kind of thing, and even if one dies often times it is possible to shift an existing satellite to cover it's slack (if it's in a more critical area or whatnot)

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Thanks for the correction there Grimace.

I suppose I was the victim of sensationalist journalism. [Smile]

TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
yeah, I don't blame you, just wanted to make sure there wasn't a hatrack movement of mass hysteria about the Bush administration ignoring hurricanes or something [Smile]
Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Nifty picture of the ISS and Atlantis separating:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/80464810@N00/573107872/

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris_Johnston
Member # 10582

- posted      Profile for Chris_Johnston   Email Chris_Johnston         Edit/Delete Post 
Phil Plait posted a cool entry about Atlantis precious cargo...
Bad Astronomy Blog » Take me where I cannot stand

Posts: 9 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Tunguska crater found, perhaps. =)
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy on the money
quote:
July 06, 2007
AFTER pondering the weighty question of the mass of the Milky Way galaxy, astronomers have come up with an answer: 42

Not to mention the time travel...
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zamphyr
Member # 6213

- posted      Profile for Zamphyr           Edit/Delete Post 
Explosion at Scaled Composites kills 3

[Frown]

Damn. Not even an engine test, just nitrous tanks failure.

Posts: 349 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

My commentary earlier elsewhere:

Tuesday, July 24, 2007
NorthrupGrumann is buying out ScaledComposites, which of course means goodbye to VirginGalactic. Like GM with its electric car, NorthrupGrumann will fubar SpaceshipTwo so badly that it'll set back civilian space flight for at least a decade.
I'd LOVE to be proven wrong.

Friday, July 27, 2007
I said I'd love to be proven WRONG.

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JLM
Member # 7800

- posted      Profile for JLM           Edit/Delete Post 
Compressed gas is dangerous, inert or not. Always, always, always perform regular inspection and maintainance.

Having NG run the ship might actually be a good thing. They ought to temper the cowboy culture at SC, and bring a little bit more discipline to their processes.

Posts: 157 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Well there's a hole in the bottom of the...universe.
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
There's a tree in a hole in the bottom of the universe.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

http://www.spaceref.com/ a neat space news site. [Smile]
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rollainm:
There's a tree in a hole in the bottom of the universe.

[Big Grin]

Can we name it Yggdrasil?
Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Dawn mission

I sure would like to understand more about the new propulsion system they are trying with this spacecraft. One report said it was previously "only thought of in science fiction" [Smile]

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I'm pretty sure the Dawn spacecraft uses an Ion Drive, which HAS been featured frequently on Star Trek type shows with space ships. Ion drives use a "slow and steady wins the race" idea. They speed up slowly, but the engine is constantly firing. It allows the craft to constantly have the acceleration and at the same time carry much less fuel than a conventional engine would.
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
It is funny that at the NASA site, they are calling that engine "The Prius of space" [Smile]
quote:
The engine is called NASA Solar Electric Propulsion Technology Applications Readiness. Most people in the deep space exploration business just refer to it as "ion propulsion."
Yep, sounds like it is a fascinating idea of a slow and steady electric engine that runs on solar power.

You would think, with that kind of technology available, we would be able to wean ourselves from oil here someday soon....

quote:
"Hold a piece of notebook paper in your hand. The weight of that paper pushing against your hand is the same as the thrust provided by one of Dawn's ion engines -- at full throttle I might add," said Brophy. "If you had an ion engine firing here on Earth, it would not be able to push a skateboard across a sidewalk!"
from from HERE
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Yesterday's APOD was pretty cool--2 galaxies millions of years after a collision/near encounter.

Even better, there was a link to a Java applet that lets you model your own galaxy crashes.

I've only begun to play with it, but I did find one flaw: one galaxy will always remain coplanar after the encounters with the 2nd galaxy, even when they are at 90 degrees to each other and equal mass. While the 2nd galaxy can be sprayed out of it's plane. This is a minor bug that was probably done on purpose to reduce the amount of computation.

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDNEV9EW06g
Video comparing the size of planets to each other then to the Sun, then the Sun to other stars.

The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, They left out Uranus. I know Pluto is no longer a planet, but I didn't think Uranus was even under contention.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

Trashing Earth Orbit
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

We'll clean it up.

After a few telecommunications satelites get destroyed and we lose a some precious piece of technology that makes our lives easier, then we'll feel compelled to clamor for action. Either that or a military satelite will get hit, though I can't believe those things aren't already pretty well hardened beyond normal standards. Either way, this is typical. We think something as vast as space, like oceans or land or whatever is just too big to possibly be ruined, and we'll keep thinking that way until we can't anymore.

Maybe I'll be dead before we get to that point.

Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe that stuff'll reflect sunlight, lowering the global temperature.
Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

A very cool movie of how jets are formed by active quasars. The associated article in Sky and Telescope tells more info. Apparently they've discovered exactly how it is that such jets can form.

There's even a song, Superluminal Lover written by one of the astronomers in honor of the discovery.

plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Several pages (and years) back I wondered about the number of galaxies in the universe... found this estimate over on Wikipedia's galaxy entry:

quote:
There are probably more than 100 billion [10 to the 11th power] galaxies in the observable universe.
[Cool]

The Wikipedia entry's full of fascinating stuff:

quote:
Despite the prominence of large elliptical and spiral galaxies, most galaxies in the universe appear to be dwarf galaxies. These tiny galaxies are about one hundredth the size of the Milky Way, containing only a few billion stars. Ultra-compact dwarf galaxies have recently been discovered that are only 100 parsecs across.

Many dwarf galaxies may orbit a single larger galaxy; the Milky Way has at least a dozen such satellites, with an estimated 300–500 yet to be discovered.

and

quote:
The current era of star formation is expected to continue for up to one hundred billion years, and then the "stellar age" will wind down after about ten trillion to one hundred trillion years (1013–1014 years), as the smallest, longest-lived stars in our astrosphere, tiny red dwarfs, begin to fade. At the end of the stellar age, galaxies will be composed of compact objects: brown dwarfs, white dwarfs that are cooling or cold ("black dwarfs"), neutron stars, and black holes. Eventually, as a result of gravitational relaxation, all stars will either fall into central supermassive black holes or be flung into intergalactic space as a result of collisions.
Neat universe! Yay, existence! [Cool]
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Using a lens to fuse the lunar surface in preparation for building a base
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
Or to be used by a Super Villian to etch their name permanently in the Lunar Soil.
Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

It's multifunctional!
Tatiana
Member # 6776

What a lovely idea!
Noemon
Member # 1115

India Poised to Launch Chandrayaan-1

The probe is going to spend two years completing the most comprehensive map yet of the lunar surface, and will be identifying locations rich in the various materials that would be useful in the manufacture and running of a lunar base.

[Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

[ October 21, 2008, 02:03 PM: Message edited by: Noemon ]

Tatiana
Member # 6776

Awesome! I love the ISRNT!
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

First images of exoplanets

Interesting, I think.

Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

[Cool]
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

That's awesome!

I didn't see it in the article, but do they specify anywhere what new technology is allowin gus to see it? Or was it just a matter of knowing where to look?

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Whats currently the cutting edge both practical and theoretical of space propulsion for say quickly getting from Earth to Pluto in a reasonable time?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Project Orion --Pluto in less than one year, round trip. Any less radical design would probably be impossible with current tech. Even making it to Mars is going to be really pushing the envelope.
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

"India marked its presence on Moon on Friday night to be only the fourth nation to scale this historic milestone after a Moon Impact Probe with the national tri-colour painted successfully landed on the lunar surface..."

Neither the probe nor the tricolors would survive a 1.683kilometres-per-second/3764miles-per-hour splat (drop in from the minimum lunar orbital velocity), let alone the more likely (due to fuel savings) 2.38kps/5324mph splatter (minimum drop in based on lunar escape velocity).

sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
Purified urine to be astronauts' drinking water

quote:
CAPE CANAVERAL, Florida (Reuters) - As NASA prepares to double the number of astronauts living aboard the International Space Station, nothing may do more for crew bonding than a machine being launched aboard the space shuttle Endeavour on Friday.

It's a water-recycling device that will process the crew's urine for communal consumption.

"We did blind taste tests of the water," said NASA's Bob Bagdigian, the system's lead engineer. "Nobody had any strong objections. Other than a faint taste of iodine, it is just as refreshing as any other kind of water."

It's cool when you consider that this kind of technology needs some serious testing before trying it out in a life-or-death situation such as a base on the moon or a mission to Mars.
Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

Lyrhawn, the exoplanet images came from Hubble, AFAIK.

Here is today's bit of interesting space news. Potentially huge, game-changing information about Mars. Giant underground glaciers that AREN'T in the polar regions.

All4Nothing
Member # 11601

- posted      Profile for All4Nothing   Email All4Nothing         Edit/Delete Post 
Thought you all might appreciate the opportunity to catch this.
Next time this happens is the year 2052

Posts: 115 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.