FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The "Interesting, Space Related News" Thread (Page 7)

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11   
Author Topic: The "Interesting, Space Related News" Thread
naledge
Member # 392

- posted      Profile for naledge   Email naledge         Edit/Delete Post 
This is not really important news, but it's interesting to me. I just got my next work assignment....

The Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter(LRO)

"The first of the Robotic Lunar Exploration (RLE) missions, planned for launch by late Fall 2008 and will orbit the Moon nominally 1 year."

Ah well, from one agressively scheduled, undermanned, and underfunded project to the next.
[Wall Bash]

-nal

Posts: 155 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
If "Xena" has a moon, will we be forced to call it "Gabrielle"?

I'd prefer Joxter.

Congratz and Good luck on the moon-rover.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
More moons for Pluto...
http://www.boulder.swri.edu/plutonews/

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool!

I love it when I have to revise things I learnt in school [Big Grin] .

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Hayabusa Probe Prepares to Punch an Asteroid
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Anybody played around with World Wind at all? Looks incredbily cool. I'll probably be downloading it tonight. Looks like it's been around for a year, but they've just released a lunar module for it. Very cool.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dan_raven:
If "Xena" has a moon, will we be forced to call it "Gabrielle"?

I'd prefer Joxter.

Congratz and Good luck on the moon-rover.

You joke, but they did decide on Gabrielle for the moon. And it's Joxer, btw. A name I'd reserve for a planet or moon that's extremely annoying.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone linked to this event yet?
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Ah, crap.

Well, here's hoping that they're still able to complete the mission.

Noemon
Member # 1115

Volcanoes Ruled out for Martian Methane
Noemon
Member # 1115

Nasa Dawn Asteroid Mission Told to Stand Down
Noemon
Member # 1115

Robot Asteroid-Explorer is Lost in Space.

[Frown]

Noemon
Member # 1115

Polaris is actually part of a triple star system.
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Dude.
quote:
The 10-centimetre-tall robot, called Minerva (Micro/Nano Experimental Robot Vehicle for Asteroid), was designed to hop around the 600-metre-long rock, snapping close-up images with three cameras and taking temperature measurements of the surface.
Do you suppose it's also because Minerva's mother, Thetis, was turned into a fly by Jupiter (for the all to common reason that her child was prophesied to overthrow him) and when she was born he had worse and worse headaches until Vulcan split his head open and let her out?

I guess I'm a little disappointed they didn't describe her as being a decimeter.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
Right, take two.

Different expiriment, and at least they aren't trying to catch it on the way down this time. Anyone going to go watch for it?

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently they've found an "Earth like" planet.

link

Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
"NASA astronomers have discovered an unusual solar system about 500 light-years away where the
inner planets are going one direction, and the outer planets are going in the opposite direction."

Actually the star is believed to be too young to have planets in the sense of our SolarSystem. The article is about the discovery of oppositely-rotating inner and outer dust clouds. (Dust clouds are believed contain the material out of which planets are formed.)
And probably more common during the early stellar&planetary formation process, and more expectable, than the article implies.
Since planets traveling in opposite directions would gravitationally steal each others momentum, and thereby lower each others orbit, counter-rotating discs could be an explanation for how the hot jupiters formed.

[ February 18, 2006, 05:32 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

An interesting article on the development of new nomenclature for orbiting objects within the SolarSystem.

And it has been newly discovered that the "temperature" of dark matter particles within our galaxy would be ~10,000degreesKelvin*. But since a dark matter particle doesn't interact** with normal matter except gravitationally, it can't be assigned temperature*** except by analogy.

* A degree in Kelvin is the same size as one in Celsius -- ie 1.8degrees in the FahrenheitScale -- but the KelvinScale zero degrees is at AbsoluteZero while the CelsiusScale zero degrees is the freezing point of water.

** Or more accurately, interacts extremely rarely except gravitationally. A good analogy would be the neutrino, which can travel through a lightyear of lead before there is a 50% chance of it having hit a lead atom. And the less energetic that a neutrino is, the farther it could travel before reaching that 50% chance of collision.

*** And time for yet another airing of a pet peeve concerning science reporting for the general public:
"about 6 miles per second (9km/s)" is disinformative in a way that it makes it hard to notice an interesting fact.
6 miles per second is equal to ~9.656 kilometers per second. And considering the "about", in this case it would be more informative to describe 6 miles per second as 10 kilometers per second.
Due to a fortuitous coincidence in choices made for the duration of the second and the degree scale in Kelvin and the length of the metre, a first rule of thumb in translating a known speed into an equivalent temperature is:
speed in metres per second approximately(~)equals degrees in Kelvin.
Since one kilometre equals one thousand metres, "about 6 miles per second (~10km/sec)" would more accurately reflect the translation process into the 10,000degreesKelvin used within the article.

[ February 28, 2006, 02:13 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
fun photo
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

The Universe is at least 158billion lightyears wide even though we can only see less than 14billion years.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Scientists found water on Enceladus.

Or at least they theorize they have, it's a moon of Saturn's.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
http://ciclops.org/view_event.php?id=51

Liquid Water Geyser on Saturn Moon

dagnabbit... late again!

AJ

[ March 10, 2006, 04:10 PM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
Age of the Universe?

quote:
Scientists were also able to conclude that the universe is composed of about 4 percent real matter, about 23 percent dark matter, and about 73 percent dark energy. Nobody actually knows what dark matter or dark energy are, however.
Loved that bit about not actually knowing what 96% of the universe actually is yet.
Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

Looking at the problem backwards leads to drawing the wrong conclusions about the nature of the Hubble constant. Google up
Hawking no boundary
Baez end universe
Rindler horizon
Schwarzschild bubble
Hoyle Narlikar

Meanwhile, an 80lightyear"DNA"strand orbiting 300lightyears from the MilkyWay BlackHole.

aspectre
Member # 2222

A better explanation of the physics of the 80lightyear"DNA"strand.
aspectre
Member # 2222

As I long suspected from the theory of matter synthesis, there is a good chance that dark matter is composed of sterile neutrinos.

Why ya don't wanna live in the stellar neighborhood of cannibals or the living dead.

Interesting simulation showing how protoplanets decrease the size of their orbits because of the formation process. Though I'm fairly certain that the hypothesized subsequent destruction is wrong cuz the modelers started off with the wrong parameters for the proto-planetary disk formed by the stellar ignition process.

In one of the few intelligent choices made by NASA since the first manned lunar landing, the Dawn mission to the asteroid belt has been restarted after cancellation.
Especially important because of the discovery of main AsteroidBelt "comet"s and water in Ceres' mantle.

And finally, an interesting projection of Jupiter from its south pole.

Noemon
Member # 1115

Hybrid Comet-Asteroid in Mysterious Breakup

You know, every time I see an article like this I think about how long it would take us to realize that some smallish celestial object was actually a ship or probe built by some alien civilization.

Hm...I'm guessing that I've already talked about that somewhere in this thread, but I'm too lazy to go back and see for sure.

aspectre
Member # 2222

Nasa achieves 3d BlackHole simulation with an explanation from UniverseToday (which messed up its link to the Nasa page).
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
Mars Rover Beginning to Hate Mars

quote:
Unmanned Vehicle 'Bored Out of Its Mind'

PASADENA, CA—NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory scientists overseeing the ongoing Mars Exploration Rover Mission said Monday that the Spirit's latest transmissions could indicate a growing resentment of the Red Planet.

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

[ROFL]
sndrake
Member # 4941

[Big Grin]

I was hoping you'd see the bump, Noemon.

quote:
"Granted, Spirit has been extraordinarily useful to our work," Callas said. "Last week, however, we received three straight days of images of the same rock with the message 'HAPPY NOW?'"
**Should have warned that the article contains language that some people will find offensive.**
Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
There's something bizarrely psychic going on here. I was thinking about this thread last night after I went to bed, a good four hours or so before sndrake bumped the thread. [Smile]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

What, this hasn't been posted here yet? Must have been overshadowed by the moon base announcement / thread.

Liquid Water Still Present on Mars?

Noemon
Member # 1115

Wow! That's huge.

I hadn't had time to check the news today, Architraz Warden, so I hadn't seen that. Thanks for the link!

aspectre
Member # 2222

That's just a last minute coverup over a leak of the real story.
sndrake
Member # 4941

This BBC article includes some cautionary notes about other - and possibly more plausible - explanations:

quote:
Other scientists think it possible that gullies like this were caused not by water but by liquid carbon dioxide.

One of the reasons for favouring CO2 was that computer models of the Martian crust indicated water could exist only at depths of several kilometres. Liquid carbon dioxide, on the other hand, could persist much nearer the surface where temperatures can drop as low as -107C.

Prospects for life

Oded Aharonson, an assistant professor of planetary science at the California Institute of Technology (Caltech) said that while the interpretation of recent water activity on Mars was "compelling," it was just one possible explanation.

Aharonson said further study was needed to determine whether the deposits could have been left there by the flow of dust rather than water.

Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

Ran across this today. Nice to see the little (relatively speaking I suppose) guys getting some development, even while a planet away.

Rovers getting smarter (as in upgraded).

Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

Double post!

This is something of a sad note of news, though I'd love to be alive over the next 1,000+ years to see what happens as they're destroyed.

Pillars of Creation already destroyed.

aspectre
Member # 2222

Britain's entry into the space race, Moonraker.
Noemon
Member # 1115

This is huge! Huge!

Vast resovoir of water ice discovered on Mars

stihl1
Member # 1562

- posted      Profile for stihl1   Email stihl1         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
but the planet has enough water ice at its south pole to blanket the entire planet in more than 30 feet of water if everything thawed out.

WOW!
Posts: 1042 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
And then further down the page, we get a link to a doubtless fascinating article entitled Sun Blamed for Warming of Earth and Other Worlds.

[ROFL]

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Well, you know, the sun is hot; the sun is not a place where we could live, but here on Earth there'd be no life without the light it gives.
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Did anyone post yet about the bizarre hexagonal cloud shape on the north pole of Saturn? That is just weird. [Big Grin]

<sings along and bobs head> The Sun is a mass of incandescent gas...

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I always hum "Interplanet Janet" whenever I read this thread.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

In other news, it looks like there might be caves on Mars!

Big ones.

quote:
Researchers say pictures from a Mars orbiter show holes the size of football fields that may be the entrances to subterranean caverns. If the claims prove to be true, such caves would be prime targets in the search for extraterrestrial life and prime real estate for future human settlements.
If this bears out, it's an exciting development, both in terms of exploration and possible habitation. It would probably be much easier to build secure habitats in stable caves, given the problems with radiation and duststorms on the surface.

(Link has pictures)

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

First ever evidence of water on extra solar planet
Noemon
Member # 1115

The Caverns of Mars

[Edit--crap! Beaten to the punch by the esteemed Mr. Drake by a couple of months!]

sndrake
Member # 4941

[Big Grin]

(Hey, if there we had a "humble" smilie, I'd use it. Eventually.)

Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:
The Caverns of Mars

[Edit--crap! Beaten to the punch by the esteemed Mr. Drake by a couple of months!]

Cavern... Pfft. I know a missile silo when I see one!
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.