FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The "Interesting, Space Related News" Thread (Page 4)

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  9  10  11   
Author Topic: The "Interesting, Space Related News" Thread
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
There are also some great new pictures at:

http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
Latest Cassini images, for your delectation. [Smile]
Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Pretty....
Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Anne Kate--those are some great pictures!

::performs elaborate Noemonic Knight handshake::

Cassini Probes Titan's Mysteries

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

OOOH! Hydrocarbons! [Big Grin]
Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Cosmonaut Andrian Nikolayev Dies at 74
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Hee hee Cassini was all I heard about this past weekend. I think I got to see some of the data before it even hit the presses. Though being surrounded by a bunch of planetary science grad students (at the U of AZ) would do the trick!
[Wink]

AJ

[ July 06, 2004, 05:00 PM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Insanity Plea
Member # 2053

- posted      Profile for Insanity Plea   Email Insanity Plea         Edit/Delete Post 
Saturn Hailstorm

quote:

An instrument onboard Cassini recorded a flurry of tiny particles pelting the spacecraft as it crossed Saturn's dusty ring plane.

It's in orbit!

There's also an audio track of what it sounds like, as Cassini went through the planes.

Satyagraha

Posts: 359 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Tilting at Asteroids.

This is so great--another step toward devising an asteroid defense plan!

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Hawking cracks black hole paradox.

quote:
"He sent a note saying 'I have solved the black hole information paradox and I want to talk about it'," says Curt Cutler, a physicist at the Albert Einstein Institute in Golm, Germany, who is chairing the conference's scientific committee. "I haven't seen a preprint [of the paper]. To be quite honest, I went on Hawking's reputation."

Though Hawking has not yet revealed the detailed maths behind his finding, sketchy details have emerged from a seminar Hawking gave at Cambridge. According to Cambridge colleague Gary Gibbons, an expert on the physics of black holes who was at the seminar, Hawking's black holes, unlike classic black holes, do not have a well-defined event horizon that hides everything within them from the outside world.

In essence, his new black holes now never quite become the kind that gobble up everything. Instead, they keep emitting radiation for a long time, and eventually open up to reveal the information within. "It's possible that what he presented in the seminar is a solution," says Gibbons. "But I think you have to say the jury is still out."

Gotta like the fact he can get time at the podium with a simple email like that. [Big Grin]

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

*still in awe of the wheelchair guy*

That asteroid thing will also be more practice at rendezvous. Of course we are talking about a rather hot approach....

Insanity Plea
Member # 2053

- posted      Profile for Insanity Plea   Email Insanity Plea         Edit/Delete Post 
NASA release awesome, awesome Apollo pictures.
Satyagraha

Posts: 359 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

It'll be interesting to see what kind of solar storms result from the sunspot group 652, which is 20 times larger than Earth
Noemon
Member # 1115

SpaceShipOne's Flight Dates for Winning the X-Prize Set.
Noemon
Member # 1115

Man, it's been a long time since I've updated this thread.

Magnetic Beams Could Power Swifter Spacecraft

dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
While that last link is very cool, I first read it as "spacecars" which would have been even cooler.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

That would be cooler.

My only concern with this technology is that NASA make sure that the space station that will fire the beam that will slow the ship as it approaches its destination actually, you know, works. Make sure that nothing is installed upside-freaking-down, that there is a consistent unit of measurement used by both the station and the ship, and other tricky stuff like this.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

The savings in energy required by not having to move the energy source are huge. My concerns are similar. Imagine this conversation:

Pilot: "Mars station 1, this is ship alpha charlie tango. We are ready to initiate braking maneuver X-12."

*silence*

Pilot: "Mars station 1, repeat, this is ship alpha charlie tango. We are ready to initiate braking maneuver X-12."

*silence*

Pilot: "Mars station 1, do you copy?"

*silence*

Pilot: "Um, are you guys there?"

*silence*

Pilot (to the crew): OK guys, do you want to crash into Mars or head to Jupiter?

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Make sure that nothing is installed upside-freaking-down, that there is a consistent unit of measurement used by both the station and the ship, and other tricky stuff like this.
Awww, that's just crazy talk. No way would something like that happen in real life.

[Wink]

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
It would be pretty wild if they built the station around the wrong planet or something.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, y'all, thanks for this thread. I've enjoyed it immensely and will still be looking up links for weeks to come. Imagine, all that happened while I was in outer darkness. I have no idea . . .
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
Awww, that's just crazy talk. No way would something like that happen in real life.

Yeah, it's not rocket science.

Quidscribs, glad you're enjoying the thread!

saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
OK, a little something I don't get: if the ions being emitted from this station are being accelerated to a high enough velocity that they will actually push the magnetic sails hard enough to make the spacecraft get to Mars and back in 90 days, why aren't they also pushing the emitter backwards? Or is that not a problem?
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Good point. Even at low-thrust/high-contiuous specific impulse, there would still be a reaction.

But if the emitter were at the Moon's pole, that might not be a problem.

Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/space/10/20/warped.space/index.html

Measurements on "frame dragging" distortion of space-time.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Cool!
Noemon
Member # 1115

Cassini is scheduled for a Titan flyby tomorrow!
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Isn't DART supposed to go sometime this week?
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Pictures from Cassini

I'd imagine this may be the first place you can see the pictures that arrive on wednesday.

AJ

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Titan's Big Surprise

quote:
The Cassini flyby of Titan sent back the most detailed surface images, but the 1000 kilometer cloud formation near the south pole has scientists stumped.
Farmgirl
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

You beat me to it!
Noemon
Member # 1115

Looks like a pretty good site too.
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

You're slowing down on the job, Noemon!
[Evil Laugh] FG

Noemon
Member # 1115

Titan's Complex and Strange World Revealed
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
My Dad was part of this big Europa mission, a new and exciting satalite being sent out to Europa to make some observations, and then (and this was the part my Dad was involved in) try to figure out from the measurments if there was liquid water under the ice sheets. The proposal was accepted by NASA, then put off, then put off, then cancelled due to funding issues. [Frown]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

What does your dad do exactly Hobbes? That's really interesting.
Hobbes
Member # 433

Geophysicist at the University of Colorado, Boulder. One of the top men in his field. [Smile] He's one of the leading experts on greenhouse effects, which is amussing since, despite being very liberal when it comes to the enviroment, doesn't much care about greenhouse effects, and what made him the expert is that his doctorate thesis is the bassis of almost all calculations on the subject. [Smile]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

[Cool]
Hobbes
Member # 433

But now I've derailed your thread into me being proud of my Dad...

sorry.

Hobbes [Smile]

Noemon
Member # 1115

No problem. I'm almost always a big fan of thread derailment. If the derailment takes we can just start a new thread in the same vein as this one.
Noemon
Member # 1115

Prize aims for orbiting space tourists
Noemon
Member # 1115

SMART-1 approaching moon
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Nifty! Thanks for the update!
Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Did the SCRAM engine test happen yet?
Noemon
Member # 1115

I'm not sure Dag, I'll have to look.

Looks like they've got the funding for a space tug in place.

Boothby171
Member # 807

- posted      Profile for Boothby171   Email Boothby171         Edit/Delete Post 
It's about time!

NASA had plans for the OMV (Orbital Maneuvering Vehicle) over 10 years ago. Excellent idea (whether it's European or American)! And funding's good, too!

Posts: 1862 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boothby171
Member # 807

- posted      Profile for Boothby171   Email Boothby171         Edit/Delete Post 
It's about time!

NASA had plans for the OMV (Orbital Maneuvering Vehicle) over 10 years ago. Excellent idea (whether it's European or American)! And funding's good, too!

Posts: 1862 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Yeah Steve, it seems like a pretty basic tool for a space program to equip itself with. Probably would have been a better investment to build a little fleet of these than build the international space station, I'd say.
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.sciencenews.org/articles/20041113/fob5.asp

quote:
First Light: Faint object may be youngest star detected

Ron Cowen

Peeking into the dusty core of a dark cloud seemingly devoid of stars, astronomers have found a faintly glowing body that could be the earliest glimmerings ever recorded from a newborn star. If the object, spied by the infrared eye of the orbiting Spitzer Space Telescope, is indeed a fledgling star, it's the least massive star ever observed. It weighs in at less than one-thousandth the mass of the sun.

quote:
Astronomers aren't certain how to classify the object, which resides 6,000 light-years from Earth in a dense core of gas and dust. The body may someday accumulate enough gas and dust to become a bona fide star. Another possibility is that the supply of material will run out before the object can achieve starhood, and it will become a brown dwarf instead, says Neal J. Evans of the University of Texas at Austin. It's also possible that the object is neither star nor brown dwarf, but something more exotic, he adds.
quote:
New observations with ground-based near-infrared telescopes have ruled out that scenario, says Evans. Team member Tracy L. Huard of the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics in Cambridge, Mass., and his colleagues found a fan-shaped glow coinciding with the puzzling object. That glow is too feeble to have come from the more distant core and "strongly suggests the source is embedded in the L1014 core," Huard reported at the Spitzer conference.

The faint signal seen by Spitzer implies a "very slow and gentle" accumulation of material in L1014 that may indicate "a new way of forming stars," Evans says. The Spitzer team has found other candidates for young stars in several supposedly starless cores.

Star modeler Alan P. Boss of the Carnegie Institution of Washington (D.C.) says the low mass and luminosity inferred from the Spitzer observations are "quite consistent" with current ideas about the birth of stars. Says Boss: "Spitzer has found a good example of the earliest phase of star formation seen to date."

Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

[Cool]
  This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  9  10  11   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.