FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Midwest Hatrack gathering -- Feb 20-22 -- Updates! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Midwest Hatrack gathering -- Feb 20-22 -- Updates!
Vána
Member # 3262

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
Easy accompaniment. Check. I'll see keep that in mind while I'm looking through my music. [Smile]
Posts: 2661 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I play piano. Used to play for church quite a bit. I'm a little rusty now because my piano is not working, but I could brush up, and perhaps help out Vana. Depends on just how difficult the piano music is. But we would have some time Saturday to practice, probably. (What does Vana play?) (Or is she singing?)

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Okay -- they aren't replying, so they don't believe me. Does it do any good to mention that when my kids were in junior high choir, I was the choir's accompanist? And for their solos at contest?

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
I already mentioned accompanying Vana first Farmgirl! I guess we are both in the same boat when it comes to practicing though.

Though I'm more wishy washy about attending. But I could easily make a run to Rockford to practice with Vana too.
[Wink] [Razz]

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Oh, sorry A.J.! I must have missed that part of your post!

I certainly wasn't trying to upstage. You go ahead.

(dkw is loving suddenly having all these musicians at her disposal..!) [Wink]

FG

dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
::sends secret note to Vána re: kidnapping Banna on the weekend of the 20th::

Ladies! There's no need to fight over it. One of you can accompany Vána and the other can accompany the congregational singing. Then I can give our fill-in pianist a week off! [Wink]

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Ah I've pretty much decided I'm blowing off the International. If I enter Jake he'll go with handler instead of me anyway, and the other two aren't likely to be entered.

And recently I've been wanting to play the piano again. I could probably ask if I could practice at a nearby UMC church since it is for a good cause. <grin> One of my neighbors might have a piano for that matter too. *sigh* one of these days I'll get my own baby grand...

AJ

(I'd be happy to do the congregational singing instead too!)

AJ

[ January 14, 2004, 05:36 PM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
Vána plays oboe. Easy for me to remember since my sister played oboe in high school.

If we can't find a nice oboe/flute duet then I will happily sing. I'm an alto. I've even done solos, but it's been a while, so I'm not sure I'd want to solo now.

Vána, if I have time in the next few days I'll look through my music (what little I have, that is). I am definitely up for carpooling. It would be fun!

Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vána
Member # 3262

Wow! This is fantastic!

Dana, how much can we play? Like, could xnera and I do a duet, and then also have an oboe solo? I haven't heard if she'd want to do a flute solo, and I'm certainly not trying to push anyone out, just looking for opportunities to play (since I get too few for my liking). But one could be an offeratory and one an anthem, or maybe just some prelude or postlude music. I'm not sure how your services are structured - I haven't been to a Methodist service before.

I'd be thrilled to have either of you accompany, Farmgirl and AJ - and if we get to do a duet and a solo, then one could do each! [Big Grin]

I'm so excited - this is great!

Posts: 2661 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

If this keeps up I'll be able to count Hatrack as work time instead of break time!

Vána, the pianist would love a week off. She's been filling in since we lost our organist, and she really isn't comfortable with it. So you can have the prelude, offeratory, and postlude for sure. If you and xnera can figure out a flute-oboe duet, that would be great.

As far as singing goes, we have a now-and-then choir, but they'd be thrilled to have an extra voice or two, and they practice Sunday morning before the service. So xnera, you'd be welcome to sing with them.

So, now that Sunday's under control, anyone want to plan the rest of the gathering? [ROFL]

edit: stupid fingers can't spell "oboe."

[ January 15, 2004, 09:20 AM: Message edited by: dkw ]

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I was talking to Christy, and we're tentatively "in." I've got to admit that I'm a little bit squicky, myself, about taking vacation time so I can spend a weekend knitting and attending church, so I'm putting out an open plea to the geek contingent. [Smile]

[ January 15, 2004, 10:26 AM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

Ooo, are we learning to knit? Cool, I've never done that! [Wink]

I would like to repeat, though, that if you don't want to attend church, that's fine. My feelings will not be hurt, and I'm sure Vána and Xnera will be happy to play their instruments on Saturday too. This houseparty is NOT a ploy to get anyone to church.

I am hoping for lots of game-playing and such as well as crafty stuff. If you like, Tom, you can be in charge of planning some "non-girly" activities. [Smile]

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, do you have a piano at home? Because I know a lot of the devil's music. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

No, but I have a hammer dulcimer -- it's like a piano but with a manual transmission.

I think I have an electronic keyboard somewhere, if I can either find the power cord or get new batteries for it.

[ January 15, 2004, 10:50 AM: Message edited by: dkw ]

TomDavidson
Member # 124

*grin* It's all right. [Smile]
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Do you, Lime, Steve and whoever else have enough RPGs in common that you could do a shorter storyline?

AJ

Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
Can I come? I might be able to sneak out of Indiana on that Sat/Sun.

I won't sing or play any instruments.

I'd love to show anyone to knit or to crochet. I have lots of extra yarn, hooks, and lots of patterns. Lots of baby patterns, even.

Tom, you'd love crocheting. Really! [Smile]

Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

Theca, of course!
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

*bump*

Just want to keep this on page one up until the weekend.

dkw, when you have a moment, could you privately e-mail me (address is in my profile)? I would like to be able to correspond with you via e-mail to get a few more details (location-wise) to start planning my trip, and figure out what time I need to leave here, etc. Are you expecting us to arrive on Saturday, or on Friday night?

Farmgirl

Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
::begins to raise hand, realizes location, puts hand quickly down::

Seriously, people, it's almost as if you really don't want to meet me [Wink] Scheduling everything for when I'm not going to be there and all. I will be with you in spirit, though the time difference might actually have me asleep. Maybe I can do one of those weird sleep-travelling things or something. How creepy would that be?

And that's enough out of me. We'll have to do another one sometime and I'll bring my pictures from Greece.

Have fun!

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Carrie, when's good for you? The rest of the Wisconsin clump is pretty mobile, and it's not like we're so far away that a get-together is difficult. It's visiting IOWA that's hard. [Smile]
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

*bump again* !!

Man, things move down the thread list fast!

Only 31 days before the Midwest gathering.

I'm going to try to bring a digital camera and post up photos of our get-together to my web site, like Mac did for wenchcon. (although I'm sure ours will be much tamer). That is, if dkw will let me use her computer.

Farmgirl

dkw
Member # 3264

Of course you can use my computer – I have a slow dial-up connection though, so you probably won’t have time to post as many pictures as mac did.
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

*bump, bidi, bump, bump...bump bump!!*

Do we have a list going of who all is planning to show up? What time is everyone planning to arrive?

(I know, I know, it is still 30 days off... to early to plan...)

Farmgirl

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

dkw --

I'm trying to help you log who might show up. But I'm not familiar with everyone enough to do a good job of this [Smile]

Based on this thread, here is what I have so far:

Midwest Gathering list

with the ones with the question marks meaning I'm not sure if they are coming or not....

Farmgirl

Vána
Member # 3262

My name's Julie! Though, I'll happily answer to Vána as well, of course.
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Is Primal Curve/Pelandra/Glynn interested?

AJ

dkw
Member # 3264

I have another way to keep track --

If by the day of the event they haven’t asked for my address and directions to my house I’m pretty sure they’re not coming. [Big Grin]

Speaking of which – for you Wisconsin/Illinois types – would you rather go eight miles out of your way and back to stay on major highways, or drive 10 miles or so on county roads?

TomDavidson
Member # 124

That depends on how you define "or so," Dana. I know country types who, insisting that it's only "ten miles or so," gave directions that actually took us over an hour and a half. [Smile]
dkw
Member # 3264

Oh, it’s only ten miles. And it’s the route I take. The problem is, the street signs aren’t real visible, and there’s a few places where the road does a 90-degree curve and there’s another road that goes off at a tangent. Sometimes the road number stays with the curving road, sometimes it goes with the tangent (which is to say, straight ahead).

I can give you very explicit directs for that route, or I can tell you to stay on Hwy 20 until it hits Interstate 35. The Hwy route is exactly 16 miles longer. Your choice. [Big Grin]

BannaOj
Member # 3206

Do the directions include "turn left at the big tree, then go 2.5 miles and turn on the nearest dirt road?

If there are actual street signs on the route even if they are hidden I should be ok.

AJ

Vána
Member # 3262

Are we all (IL/WI people) going to carpool/caravan? Maybe in two sets, if there are some that want to leave before others of us would get back from church?

edit because finishing the thought is nice: I would personally take the extra 16 miles to have a nice, easy highway to drive on, but if I'm not driving, than I don't much care how we get there! [Big Grin]

[ January 21, 2004, 05:11 PM: Message edited by: Vána ]

Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
The only way I'd be able to come is by carpool. I am now sans vehicle and have no means of getting there (apart from bus.)

Still, I don't really see much that's drawing me to this. As a guy, I need more than needlework and amateur pottery as enticement.

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

There will be other guys there -- won't there? Tom and Dan... who else? Come 'on -- we can think of some guy things for them.

FG

BannaOj
Member # 3206

I suggested a mini-RPG earlier, they'd have to have their characters worked out ahead of time though.

I was just thinking about carpooling as well. I guess the logical divisons would be tom christy and ct and then xnera, dan vana and myself and steve(?) in my van.

AJ

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

::updated web table with new additions::

FG

Vána
Member # 3262

Okay! I picked a piece with an easy piano part. So AJ, Farmgirl, you two have to fight over accompanying me, and I'll send you the music!

xnera, did you ever find any duet pieces? Are you still interested in playing a duet?

My mom tried to schedule a baby shower for my cousin on the weekend we're getting together! I told her to try to move it to the previous weekend - I sure hope she can! I don't want to have to miss the shower. [Frown]

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Vana,

Go ahead and send it to AJ -- I think she is near you, so there is a better chance you two can get together and practice prior to the actual weekend.

Plus, I think she is a bit "less rusty" than I am at the keyboard. [Wink]

FG

BannaOj
Member # 3206

Vana, would you have a place to practice? I wouldn't mind running to Rockford for an afternoon. I'd probably massacre it at the beginning but after an half hour or hour of practice I think I'd be passable.

AJ

Vána
Member # 3262

Well, I have a key to the church, and we've got like six pianos in there. So, I'm sure if I call the office and clear it with them first, we'd be able to come in for an afternoon.

I think that's just a long way of saying yes. [Smile]

Would you like me to mail you the music, then?

BannaOj
Member # 3206

I'm thinking that I should just come out to Rockford and get it from you and practice on say Saturday afternoon. I don't see any good in mailing me the music unless I have a place to practice it.

Were you thinking a specific hymn or a classical arrangement? If so, what composer/arranger?

AJ

BannaOj
Member # 3206

Oh and I've asked Steve if he is interested in coming and he has been giving a positive type maybe. First time he hasn't run screaming from the room at the mention of Jatraqueros. <grin> He hasn't given a "hell no". I told him that we were unsure as to what the guys were going to do, and that didn't seem to bother him much either.

AJ

Vána
Member # 3262

It's not a hymn, but I've forgotten now exactly which piece I picked (I looked at lots). I'll check when I get home and let you know.
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

AJ --

Tell Steve that we picked HIM to be in charge of "whatever the guys do"

[Big Grin]
FG

BannaOj
Member # 3206

The problem is that they are all "guys". Unfortunately 95% of the people who fall into the classification of "guys" have hooked up with a female who is their "social co-ordinator". This is a good thing because otherwise they would never get off their derriers and remain sitting in front of a technological marvel of their choosing, namely computer, TV, or playstation/sega/whatever. Hence "guys" start with negative interia and only the sexual allurements from the "social co-ordinator" can normally drag them out of their "cave" at all. Normally they do actually have a good time when removed from their "technology cave" but if they had to plan their own good time they would remain in said "cave"

AJ

TomDavidson
Member # 124

*polite cough*

Ahem. SOME of us guys have fairly ambitious social calendars, thank you very much. [Smile]

BannaOj
Member # 3206

ok you are in the 5% then... but ONLY 5%!!!

AJ

Vána
Member # 3262

AJ - the piece is called Sarabande, by Arcangelo Corelli.

What Saturdays might be good for you to come down? E-mail me, and we'll set something up. [Smile] (Vana@critterpost.com)

BannaOj
Member # 3206

this saturday would be ok I don't think I have anything pressing going on. I mean I could prime the blue bedroom but I'm working on the fine art of procrastination. Steve has it down to a science. The only problem would be weather, though I-90 is normally pretty clear. I'll e-mail you tomorrow from work.

AJ

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Only 23 more days!

I'm really looking forward to this! I need to get away for a weekend for a breather.

FG

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.