FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Midwest Hatrack gathering -- Feb 20-22 -- Updates! (Page 3)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Midwest Hatrack gathering -- Feb 20-22 -- Updates!
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like y'all and us SoCallers are both going to be gathered on the 22nd. Group phone call is a MUST; anyone want volunteer to set up video conferencing? [Wink]

Unless y'all disband before 3-ish . . . [Frown] (it's a 2-hour difference, right?)

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
not sure if middle-of-America Iowa has the technology for video conferencing just yet....

[Wink]

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
It did last year, but I'm pretty sure my brother and SIL took the videophone with them when they moved to Omaha. [Big Grin]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
ack vana forgot to e-mail
This weekend looks fine, what time to you want to get together?

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

dkw --

What do we need to bring with us? Sleeping bag, pillow??? etc? Bring our own food or drink to keep you from having to feed us all? Is there a restaurant in your town? (I love diners - it's my weakness)

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Sleeping bag and pillow are a good idea. I'll let you all work out who (if anyone) gets the bedrooms.

I can handle meals, but if you want to bring favorite snack foods that would be good. And if you have very specific beverage preferences, you may have to bring your own. Note: there is no grocery store, and the gas station is only open 'til 10pm, so if you can't survive the night without a caffeine-free diet Dr. Pepper (or whatever) be sure to bring it along.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Is there a sam's on the way in? We could compile a shopping list and I could grab stuff on the way.(or before I leave for that matter)
AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

I'm bringing instant coffee.....

Farmgirl

dkw
Member # 3264

Good grief. I have coffee. And tea. And cocoa. I meant wierd stuff, not staples.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Should I bring weird stuff? I can probably track down some squeaky cheese curds, fried pickles, and Vernor's ginger ale.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

Weird stuff is always good.

Do we have any special needs for meals? Vegetarians? Food allergies? Atkins?

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

My daughter and I are on Atkins. But we planned to cheat this entire weekend anyway -- after all, it is an R&R weekend. Won't hurt much to be off of it for 2-3 days.

Farmgirl

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

16 more days, dkw...

are you praying for good travel weather for us? Because we're about to get snowed into today, again, for the second time this week. Jeesh!

Maybe old man winter will have it all out of his system by the time Midwest Gathering dates draw near...

Farmgirl

Vána
Member # 3262

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi! I'm not sick anymore (sorta). So I'll start paying attention again. [Smile]

AJ, I'll e-mail you after I hear from Dan if this Saturday is free (unless you know it's not on your end). The 14th's no good - we have plans. So, if it doesn't work out for this weekend...

Dana, can you get us a piano for an hour or two while we're there, but before Sunday? Even if AJ and I do get together this weekend, it'd be best to run through stuff at least a couple more times, and the non-church folks might want to hear it, too (you never know!).

I'm excited, this should be very fun!

Posts: 2661 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

My house is right next door to the church, so you can run over and practice whenever you want to.
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Um, I'm not sure. A friend may be taking the train down from wisconsin this weekend to visit me. I'll let you know as soon as I know more.

AJ

BannaOj
Member # 3206

If worse comes to worse I'll cloister myself late at night on Saturday and practice til the wee hours. That is if Dana's the only nearby neighbor.

[Smile]
AJ

Vána
Member # 3262

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
I e-mailed you, AJ!
Posts: 2661 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

ack yeah, was meaning to post. I might be free tomorrow afternoon or evening. E-mail me your phone number again (if you didn't already) and I'll call you tonight!

AJ

dkw
Member # 3264

I told my mom about this party and she volunteered to come down next week and help me clean my house.

I’d be insulted if her perception of my housekeeping abilities wasn’t so accurate. [Big Grin]

BannaOj
Member # 3206

so will we get to meet her?

AJ

dkw
Member # 3264

Not unless you're planning on coming a week early.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
C'mon, Dana! Keep her around! [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

My sister, on the other hand, is thinking of coming. Weather permitting.

Edit: I suppose I should invite my brother too. How many more RPG-loving male computer geeks do we need to balance the girly-stuff? I could have him bring friends. [Wink]

[ February 06, 2004, 04:17 PM: Message edited by: dkw ]

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Well, I'd still like to know if My List of attendees is still the currently accurate one -- since I don't know half the people in the left-hand column....

Farmgirl

edit: still can't spell!

[ February 06, 2004, 04:45 PM: Message edited by: Farmgirl ]

dkw
Member # 3264

It looks to me as though someone is missing from your list.
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

DKW??? Don't do that! Don't just say that and not give me a clue as to who I have missed! Help me out here!!

Farmgirl

dkw
Member # 3264

Your daughter. [Razz] [Big Grin]
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

[Big Grin] I added her.

FG

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

*bump*
BannaOj
Member # 3206

*bump*

Vana are we getting together tonight?
AJ

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
I will be in Winnipeg (Canada), though I will miss you all tremendously. [Frown] (I will, however, have a hoot up there. [Smile] )
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Hm. I think Sara is avoiding us. [Razz]
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

:: <SIGH> taking CT off the list ::

FG

BannaOj
Member # 3206

Remove Steve as well. I expected him to flake as it got closer. I was suprised he agreed in the first place! So do I bring the puppies or not?

Also we need to figure out if we are carpooling.

xnera vana lime?

AJ

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Can I phone in?

I actually mapped out a route and then looked at the mileage and decided that it's too darned far to drive.

But I'd like to be there. I don't get to sleep on the floor nearly enough these days.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

All you had to do was drive to Kansas, Bob -- and ride the rest of the way with me! <wink>

Ah well, there's always Chicago.

Farmgirl

xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
dkw, you got a TV that can accept RCA cables? If so, I'll bring my playstation and DDR.

BTW, I'm allergic to onions, nuts, mushrooms, and spinach.

Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

::crosses mushrooms stuffed with walnut-spinach pesto and roasted onions off the menu::

Xnera, there appear to be the requisite little pluggy things on the front of the TV.

I suppose Bob-by-phone is better than no Bob at all. Will you call us or shall we call you?

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

dkw,

my daughter wants to know if there will be any cute guys around.....

[Roll Eyes]

FG

Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
Bob, I can attest to the fact that driving straight from Texas to Iowa is no picnic. The drive back is even worse. On the other hand, I did drive from Texas to Kansas City and then from Kansas City to Iowa once and that trip was great. BTW I have unlimited free minutes on my nextel cell phone for anyone who needs a phone IF nextel will work in the middle of Iowa.

I'm certain Raia decided not to come when she found out how far away Iowa is from her place.

I think I'm still coming. My real name is Julie, too. *glares at vana* I can bring crocheting and knitting patterns, supplies, and other stuff if anyone is interested. I can bring a glucometer if xnera still wants/needs her blood sugar checked.

I only eat spinach, mushrooms, and onions.

Kidding.

So when does this start? Are people arriving Friday or Saturday? What times, approximately? I think my drive will be very long. What's the name of a nearby town so I can figure out the distance on Yahoo maps?

Oh, and how dressy do people get for church there? Slacks ok, or is a skirt better? I've only been to Catholic masses in the past.

I just broke the news about my trip to Iowa to my parents the other day and I got a 15 minute lecture about the dangers of meeting folks from the internet. Got any online documentation of your job as a minister, Dana? Church website or something? It would make my mother relax. Maybe. I'm only 32 years old. [Roll Eyes]

Haha, FG, my mom's voice went up an octave when she found out BOYS might be there.

[ February 14, 2004, 06:48 PM: Message edited by: Theca ]

Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lime
Member # 1707

- posted      Profile for Lime   Email Lime         Edit/Delete Post 
I have some bad news.

Julie and I aren't going be able to attend this Hatrack gathering, either. I got laid off yesterday, and that more than halved our income. I'm going to be filing for unemployment on Monday, and already have a few leads to track down with resume in tow, but we're putting the brakes on any and all spending that we can... and unfortunately, that includes gas and food money for a trip to Iowa. [Frown] [Frown]

I'm really sorry, guys... I was really looking forward to this one since we couldn't afford WenchCon. I'm gonna be reading the report thread rather jealously when it shows up.

Have fun for us!

Posts: 753 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Don't worry Theca - - I'm 42 years old, and MY mom still gave me crap about it! ("You're going to see who? and who is that?") <SIGH>

We are planning on leaving sometime Friday morning and arrive there Friday evening. Might make a very short stop to see some friends in upper Missouri on the way (they are only about 15 minutes off the highway). But I have to drive my son into his morning college class before we leave here.

I think I figured that it will be a 8 hour drive for us from here -- we used Radcliffe as the town destination when entering it into Rand McNally, so you should be able to figure it that way as well.

Oh no! Vana & Lime can't come??? No special music?!! It is awful that you lost your job -- I certainly hope something good opens up for you soon!

Farmgirl

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

((BTW Lime -- you aren't filing for unemployment on Monday -- it's a government holiday (President's Day) -- I doubt unemployment office will be open)))

FG

Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
Aww, that's terrible. Good luck with the search.

If you carpool with someone who is going by there anyway, there will hardly BE any costs. You still have to eat whether you do it in Iowa or Illinois. What other costs would there be?

The thread has been so quiet lately I half assumed the weekend was going to be cancelled anyway. Are other people still going?

Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

I've updated my LIST of people planning to come. There are a couple on there that I don't think are confirmed -- or at least we haven't heard from lately.

Farmgirl

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Lime, I'm sorry to hear that. Shoot.

Dana, I'll definitely call your place rather than vice versa.

But you know how you said "lose my number" after the last time I saw you????

Well, okay, you didn't actually say that, but it would've made a great story.

Anyway, it has been 2 harddrive disasters, one entire computer motherboard collapse, a PDA meltdown, and 2 cellphone "incidents" ago. Why didn't I just write your number on a napkin for crying out loud!

[Big Grin]

I'll e-mail you.

Bob

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Vana and Lime. I'm going anyway and I'll have to pay the gas anyway so I would love to have you come with me just for the company, because I really don't want to drive by myself. I go right past your place as it is. We can pack sandwiches and eat bologna!

AJ

dkw
Member # 3264

And keep in mind that I always over prepare when it comes to food. We’ll send you home with the leftovers and you probably won’t have to go grocery shopping for a week!

Theca, you can go to iaumc.org and click on “directory” in the menu on the left. That will give you two directories – churches and professionals in ministry. Look under “Radcliffe” in the first or “Williams” in the second. [Smile] And slacks are fine. We’re pretty casual.

dkw
Member # 3264

I've e-mailed contact info and directions.

Theca, I I'm not sure where you're coming from, but if you let me know which major highway you'll be traveling on I can send you specifics. Don't trust Yahoo maps or Mapquest if you're coming from northeast of here. They're very messed up.

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.