FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Midwest Hatrack gathering -- Feb 20-22 -- Updates! (Page 5)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Midwest Hatrack gathering -- Feb 20-22 -- Updates!
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
::revised note to self -- if I ever am on the same Trivial Pursuit team as Bob, I answer the sports questions::
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
we need to bring sleeping bags right?

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

At least some of you will need to bring sleeping bags.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Banna_Oj
Member # 6207

- posted      Profile for Banna_Oj   Email Banna_Oj         Edit/Delete Post 
Would you be offended if I brought an airbed? My back has been bugging me recently and I know our airbed is far better than the floor. It is queen size so I'm willing to share with someone. I'd just throw the sleeping bag on top of the airbed.

AJ

Posts: 79 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be bringing a sleeping bag, and I don't want to share an airbed. FYI.
Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
We'll bring bedding and an airbed. I think I'm going to have to bring my menagerie of pillows, since I've been having trouble sleeping.

We're thinking about bringing some games as well: most likely Carcasonne, Chez Geek, D&D and a new card game Chamelion that we haven't tried.

Not sure about what crafty stuff to bring. Were we still going to teach Dana how to knit or crochet? I do have some knitting needles/crochet hooks.

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
I am bringing my playstation for Dance Dance Revolution. Probably Abe's Oddysee, too -- it's a pretty good game for a group. Will likely bring a board game or two. I was thinking Citadels, Acquire, and Ricochet Robot.

I am also bringing extra chocolately stuff that I have laying about the house, in case others want to try their hand at chocolate making.

Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

I have two guest rooms with actual beds as well. I'm thinking pregnant women get right of first refusal, after that you can flip for it or whatever.
dkw
Member # 3264

Warning: the warm weather yesterday melted a lot of snow, and now there’s a giant mudhole in front of the house (and a small lake in the alley.) Parking in the driveway is definitely recommended. And if we get any more snow melt it’ll be a good idea to come through the church parking lot to get to the driveway, rather than the alley to the west of the house.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Dana, we're leaving around noon and should be there by six or so. If we're not there by seven, assume we're lost or dead. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Okay, we are leaving right now! (9:34 central time). Be 8 hours driving time, but I'm sure there will be a few stops along the way. See you all tonight!

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

Anyone who gets here before six will be recruited for last minute emergency cleaning.

You are warned! [Angst]

dkw
Member # 3264

Aaaaaaagh!

Funeral Director just called. [Frown]

I may have to disapear into the office for a while tomorrow.

Theca
Member # 1629

I'm headed out now!
Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vána
Member # 3262

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
xnera, bring chocolate - I've been so stressed, I just need it.

We'll bring our own bedding, so no worries about that.

Umm...we won't be there until way after six - I don't think AJ can even leave her place until about then. We'll be quiet, in case anyone's asleep when we get there (probably about midnight)!

Dana, that's too bad. [Frown] AJ (or Farmgirl)and I can work around that, of course - as long as we still get some time to practice.

I'm so excited! [Smile] This will be fun. [Smile]

[ February 20, 2004, 03:27 PM: Message edited by: Vána ]

Posts: 2661 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Vana did you email directions to my yahoo addy? (I can't check it from work)

I'm going to be leaving work at about 4pm. I have one errand that I *have* to do, and I'm hoping I get that done before xnera arrives at my house.

Then we'll get on the road. I'll try to post something when we leave.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vána
Member # 3262

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
Dan sent them last night.

I'm so glad xnera's driving with us, too! Yay!

Posts: 2661 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Ah last night I was intoxicated, so I didn't do a lot of e-mail checking after about 5:30pm.

The good news is that getting drunk last night allowed me to finally end my insomnia and get a full nights sleep, so that I will be much more alert for this evening!

I kept hearing Pippin's "It comes in PINTs?" in my head last night, as I drank an entire bottle of wine in pint glasses! (Didn't feel like messing with our actual wine glasses.)

AJ

[ February 20, 2004, 04:13 PM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Are y'all awake yet?
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

We're having a great time, Bob. (This is farmgirl posting on dkw's account)

Glad you called up -- and joined our game of Screen It via phone.

Dan and I are taking pics -- will post them up after the weekend.

FG

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
It sounded like a blast!!!

I'm so glad you all were able to get together.

I got to talk a little bit to Tom & Christy, FG, dkw and I really don't know WHO ELSE. But it sounded like a totally great get together.

I'm so envious.

I did know the answer to ONE question during that game. That was fun!

[Big Grin]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

So, how was dkw's sermon?

Did the band play?

[Big Grin]

dkw
Member # 3264

Everyone but lj is gone, but they left things to remember them by. Perhaps I'll take an example from WenchCon and hold an auction.

I've got two pillows and one sock, up for bids. [Big Grin]

Christy
Member # 4397

How was the oboe/piano solo playing? We are sorry to have missed them. We made remarkable time home and are now settling back in and getting our own house back in order. Hope we didn't leave you with too much of a mess, dkw!

Dana was an excellent hostess and cooked us many wonderful meals. Everyone was much impressed by her rather large stock of excellent prohibition draft-head root beer. We drank it all weekend and she still has cases left! LJ was a pleasure to meet and a lot of fun to hang out with as well, although we hear that we've cost dkw a weekend in Minneapolis doing landscaping. Perhaps we could have another gathering to help her out [Smile]

Farmgirl and her daughter ACTUALLY EXIST! We met them! [Smile] Thanks for making the big drive!

We all got a chance to hold Bob as we talked with him. And darn my memory, there were quite a few lines while playing "Scene it" that just had to go in the out of context thread, but now I can't remember them!

Theca brought her knitting and although we didn't end up showing dkw, she did teach dkw's friend's daughter and gave me a couple of baby patterns that I'm going to have to try. She ended up finishing a pair of slippers as well as a gorgeous chenille purse.

Banna, Xnera, Lime and Vàna arrived bleary eyed and weather worn and we were very glad that they all decided to travel together. I think Banna even managed to get some sleep that night and seemed to recover well from her horrid week. Her poor little finger even held out for piano playing as well as seam ripping and finishing dkw's friends quilt!

Xnera, Vàna and I had fun with dkw's befu (??) ball and I think I may have to try to find one of those for myself.

Lime and Tom even managed to hold off most of the estrogen in the room and kept us playing board games instead of too many crafts.

All in all, it was a fun weekend and we hardly noticed we were in the middle of nowhere [Smile] Thanks for having us!

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

BOSU, not befu.

LJ is a gem -- she finished cleaning up and washed all the bedding and towels while I was at the funeral visitation this afternoon.

I probably owe her at least two weeks of landscaping by now.

Christy
Member # 4397

*giggle* Sorry! We thought (Both Ends Face Up).
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Well, 480 miles and 9 1/2 hours later, we are home safe and sound!

Had beautiful weather after we crossed the Iowa state line on the way home -- was 66 degrees by the time we hit Kansas City. Amazing change!

I will try to post photos tomorrow -- do you want me to use this thread, or are we going to begin a new one to revamp the gathering?

DKW is simply the nicest person in the whole world. That's the best way to describe her. It was a wonderful weekend, and some much needed R&R for me. (well, not much rest with that group, but definately fun!)

And she gives WONDERFUL sermons. You should have heard her!

Farmgirl (and daughter)

[ February 23, 2004, 11:08 AM: Message edited by: Farmgirl ]

Banna_Oj
Member # 6207

I'm home! (This means Lime and Vana are home and xnera should be home shortly.)

AJ

Posts: 79 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theca
Member # 1629

I'm home too. 464 miles in 7 hours and 15 minutes.
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I can set up an album on Madowl for ya'll if you want.

Julie, turn on your AIM!

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

It was really wonderful being held by all of you. Tom has very warm hands. [Big Grin]

I'm glad everyone made it home safely.

xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
And last one home is me.

Had a wonderful time. I got to play games and chitchat and make truffles (finished at the last minute) and spread the Firefly love. Definitely a good weekend. I am a very happy xnera.

Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

PHOTOS ARE UP !!!

My old HP digital camera doesn't take very good shots, so hopefully Tom will post up some he took as well. PLEASE let me know if I misspelled anyone's screen name or other information.

It took me all morning to do this -- so this afternoon I will try to write my own "synopsis" of the weekend. Hope others will do that too!

Hugs to all -- I loved putting faces with names!

Farmgirl

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

JOURNAL ENTRY:

Food is one way to describe the weekend -- probably the best food we will have all year!
You can tell dkw really loves to cook.

Friday night, my daughter and I arrived at dkw's after dark, but had no problem finding the place right off. Walked into a room of people I didn't know -- which included dkw, her sister LJ, her friend Sara and her kids.

Through the evening I got acquainted with Tom & Christy, and Theca. (BannaOJ, Vána & Lime, and Xnera didn't arrive until after we gave up and went to bed about 1 AM.)(am I forgetting someone here)?

Friday evening, dkw made us homemade pizzas, and homemade bread, and there was plenty of Chex mix available all hours throughout the weekend. And hot cider!

Saturday morning we were treated to four different kinds of quiche, the homemade bread, and kuchen. (YUM!) I think we finally got everyone in and out of the kitchen, and the shower, and fed, by -- oh, lunch time... <GRIN>

In the afternoon dkw and her sister laid out a wonderful buffet of deli meats and cheese, the homemade bread, and broccoli/cheese soup. It was wonderful

Someone (xnera?) brought french silk pie to share, and someone else brought several varieties of fudge!

There was lots of game - playing and talking. BannaOJ spent most of Saturday either practicing for Sunday's church service (piano) or helping with a quilt in need of repair. Theca crocheted -- constantly. It was amazing to watch how much she could get done in one weekend -- a crochetted purse, and pair of slippers, some kitchen potholders (or something like that). Her hands were always busy.

Had a lot of fun playing Scene It (which I suck at because I don't watch many movies), and passing Bob_S around. We talked about LOTS of 'out of context' comments, but none of us wrote them down, I don't think. Tom was really into games -- he was teaching us all games all the time. First thing each morning, he pulled out the games.

Saturday night, it was one of dkw's friend (I don't remember her name) rooting for Iowa State while I was rooting for University of Kansas in a TV basketball game (KU won in overtime). And we all watched two hours of Firefly.

Sunday morning we all had omelets; some of us played games, some of us went to church, some did both.

Vána did a wonderful job on her oboe solo, and BannaOJ on accompanying her. dkw gave an excellent sermon on the transfiguration -- even if she did wait until the last possible minute to finish writing it before heading out the door.

I can't tell you much about Sunday because as soon as the early service was over, we headed home in order to make good time. We found a wonderful little cafe in Decatur City, Iowa for lunch (I am a huge fan of diners -- look for them everywhere) where IvyGirl and I enjoyed a wonderful lunch and peanut-butter pie.

Going through Kansas City on the way home was much much better (Sunday afternoon) than it was on the way up Friday evening. My foot does get tired on long trips since I don't have cruise control. However, that wasn't as bad as that 45 minute construction delay through KC on the way up -- had to keep my foot on the clutch the whole time to crawl through at 2 mph -- my leg got a workout!

Still lots of snow in dkw's area -- pretty much piled everywhere.

Those of you who were there with me -- as you left the area and noticed all the pretty little farms all around that area of Iowa -- that is pretty much exactly like my area if you were to come here to Kansas. Except her area has rolling hills, and we are pretty flat (that's why we can do the pivot irrigation, and you didn't see much of it in that area). But overall, the rural area looks much the same -- and all those old two-story white farmhouses you saw everywhere -- they are pretty much identical to my house and my place.

Others attendees -- please post as well!

Lovely, lovely weekend. It was so great to meet everyone. I had a great time!

Farmgirl

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Great pics! I can't believe you even got my good side. [Big Grin]

Thanks for the journal excerpt too! It's almost like not being jealous...

[ February 23, 2004, 02:47 PM: Message edited by: Bob_Scopatz ]

BannaOj
Member # 3206

dkw does one of those pillows have a pillowcase made out of red t-shirt type material?

I can't find mine but I was too delirious last night to double check everywhere. It is a smaller pillow than average made out of the fun squish foam material.

AJ

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Two pillows and one sock, dkw? What about my road atlas? Are you keeping it?

(I realized I forgot it about half way home -- but I'll just buy me a new one. I love any excuse to buy a new road atlas)

Farmgirl

BannaOj
Member # 3206

Lime, myself, Vana and xnera had an eventful road trip back.

The road trip out to Dana's was simply stressful, due to bad weather conditions. I did all the driving out.

Lime did most of the driving back. I had a quarter tank of gas when we left Dana's. The plan was, that I drive us back out to Highway 20 since I was the one who did it on the way in, and we would pull off at a gas station and fuel up once it got a little lower.

The problem was the distinct LACK of gas stations anywhere remotely near the highway. The gauge was on E, when we pulled off to a town that was only 2 miles from the highway instead of 6 or 10 miles away. The problem being that this little town (I can't remember the name but we wrote it down.) DIDN'T HAVE A GAS STATION.

Apparently it has been the town scandal for the last two years because the guy that bought the local filling station was from "outside town" and he stripped it of parts and anything usable and shut it down to count it as a loss. It had been operating moderately profitably for years prior to that point. (but we found this out much later on)

There is a lettered sign on a semi-vacant building, that says FOR GAS ON WEEKENDS OR EVENINGS CALL: (and gives a phone number) We would have called the number but none of our cell phones worked that far from the highway. So Lime and I started knocking on doors to ask the locals if we could use their phone to call the number. Well even though many residences appeared to be lived in NO ONE was home. We must have knocked on four or five doors in different blocks of the town before we found this very nice elderly couple that was home.

She called her son-in-law, and he came with his key to the grain elevator gas tanks. The gas pump at the grain elevator was an experience in and of itself. Painted on the side was "Gasohol" You had to have a key to open the box above, where there were about 12 analog dial gauges each with a spot for a key. He put his key in order to make the gas pump. It was a decided blast to the past for us city folk. The price was $1.55 per gallon which is actually quite good! I paid him a few extra bucks (we had to pool our cash on hand together) He tried to give it back but I told him to do something nice for his in-laws.

Xnera wrote down the elderly couple's name and address and we are going to send them a thank you card. We were thinking of posting it on hatrack and having anyone who was interested send a "thank you for your random act of kindness to our friends" postcard. I have a feeling that they would enjoy it immensely getting cards from all parts of the country.

AJ

Adventure #2: Dubuque, SHAZAAM and the "Food Court"
Anyone else who was with me feel free to tell the tale otherwise I'll get to it later.

AJ

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

AJ...that's a great story!!!
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

What a great story, AJ!!

That's how the gas situation is in our small town near my farm in Kansas. The only gas station in town closed long ago, so the only place to get gas is at the Co-op (grain elevator). Luckily, I have a co-op card that turns on the pumps when they aren't open, but for cash sales, you would have to call someone.

Glad you got to experience small-town midwest life!

Farmgirl

edit: when did I go over 1,000 posts?

[ February 23, 2004, 03:17 PM: Message edited by: Farmgirl ]

Christy
Member # 4397

Great photos Farmgirl! We have a few, which we'll link to later, but you have many more.

Does this mean that we're going to start seeing Ivygirl around here, or is the name just for fun?

Poor Banna and company! You did have quite an adventurous drive both there and back! Its quite a bit to Waterloo, and I don't even remember if there was a gas station in Radcliffe!

Iowa has rolling hills?! [Eek!] That was as flat a drive across highway 20 as from Chicago to Champaign, IL. We were so relieved to make it to the Mississippi Valley where we started to have landscape again. *smile* There is something comfortable about cropland, but I love forests and river valleys.

*is intrigued by the next food court saga*

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

No, probably IvyGirl won't be posting here -- but she lurks from time to time (or reads over my shoulder). IvyGirl is her e-mail name, so I just used it for the purposes of the anonymonity of the photos.

Farmgirl

BannaOj
Member # 3206

Adventure #2: Dubuque, SHAZAAM and the "Food Court"

Lime did the driving from our small town gas adventure on. I greatly appreciate this, though it did take him a little bit for him to get used to driving my "pregnant sea cow" of a mini-van. He used to drive one for deliveries though so I didn't have to explain most of the bells and whistles to him.

By the time we made it to Dubuque we were getting hungry and crabby. All of us were just a little bit out of sorts. We pulled into a Wendy's to get food. Wendy's normally accommodates ATM cards and we were all mostly out of cash after the Gas incident. Well the Wendy's in Dubuque DOESN'T take cards. Lime had already placed his order when we found this out.

Fortunately, there was a drive up ATM machine in the parking lot that was shared jointly between Wendy's and a US Bank. So Lime and I both dashed through the rain to use our ATM cards. We were amused we were walking up to a drive up. However our amusement rapidly disintegrated when the ATM machine told us it was out of cash. So we went over to the "brick and mortar" actual USBank building because normally there is a walkup ATM as well. Once again, NOT in Dubuque. We see another bank across the street, and I run in to tell xnera and Vana(who was in the bathroom) that we are driving over because we've had enough of walking in the rain.

Lime and I hop in my van (he was driving) and drive over to the other drive through ATM at the other bank. Our spirits sank further, though we couldn't help but laugh, when the ATM machine screen says "Welcome to the SHAZAAM banking system" or something close. However it did take both of our ATM cards, and only had a $1.00 surcharge. Lime now knows my ATM password since he was doing it through the driver's window, but I figure I don't really have anything to worry about since he doesn't know my Hatrack password <grin>. I flipped off the other bank as we drove back to the Wendy's, to make Mackillian proud.

Apparently Lime and I had similar thoughts running through our heads since we were both starving and crabby, in other words getting food into our digestive systems ASAP. However, across the street from the Wendy's was the local mall. While we had been acquiring cash, xnera and Vana had decided that they really didn't want to eat at Wendy's. (Their reasons were understandable and logical, since xnera had already eaten Wendy's twice recently, but made Lime and I more grumpy and out of sorts than we already were after the SHAZAAM adventure to get money.)

The local mall had a wing out that was labled, with a sign visible from the street as "Food Court". Lime claims that his last thought as we walked back into the Wendy's was "well at least it isn't the Food Court". Of course this was the logical place to go to for non-Wendy's food, or so you would think. I had my hopes up that there might even be a Chick-Fil-A. The mall was in most other ways quite busy for a sunday afternoon. However, when you walked into the food court it was dark, and akin to a tomb. Most of the slots for resturaunts were boarded up, with no apparent replacements there were no "coming soon" signs at all and several of the "space available" variety. There was one Aunt Anne's ish place that wasn't actually Aunt Anne's I don't think, but a wanna-be; there was a Chineese buffet where the food all looked days old, and ahh a Sbarro's. We flocked to the Sbarro's like moths to a light (and it was the most brightly lit) only to find that this particular Sbarro's had nothing available besides day-old looking pizza. No pasta, no breadsticks no nothing. We had pizza for lunch at Dana's.

At the end of the "food court" going into the rest of the mall there was a candy shop. After perusing the Mall directory, it was verified that there were indeed NO other spots for food in the entire mall. We went to the bathrooms, and headed back out, laughing because it was the only thing keeping us from crying or strangling each other.

A Burger King was spotted upon our departure from the mall. After a bit of delicate lane manuvering by Lime, we managed to end up in the Burger King parking lot. The Burger King was open, and we walked in, ordered our food and sat down to recover from the ordeal. Everyone was in much more cheerful dispositions after finally eating, and the rest of the trip from Dubuque to Rockford was uneventful.

No offense to dkw or her town which was delightful, but right now I belive myself, xnera, Vana and Lime, would all gladly sign any sort of Iowa Sucks! petition that was circulated.

AJ

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Had there been a Chik-Fil-A, it would've been closed. They are all closed on Sunday.

I'm glad you dodged that particular bullet as part of this adventure.

Actually, Iowa has been riding high ever since the caucuses. They need to be taken down a peg or two.

[Big Grin]

Lime
Member # 1707

- posted      Profile for Lime   Email Lime         Edit/Delete Post 
Chik-Fil-A would have been pretty cool - I've never been to one on account of the name. But now that I've got AJ's recommendation, I'll get to one next chance I have.

But only if I've lost some weight between now and then.

The weekend was fantastic. I can't thank everyone enough; it was exactly what Vána and I needed. We owe Dana and AJ lodging/free food and gas money, respectively, and I'm not gonna forget.

There were a lot of games and I'm glad I played 'em. I need to find more games to play that don't require a PC, anyway, and Munchkin, Chez Geek and Guillitine were all a blast to play. I also got a kick out of Aquire, but it'd be more difficult to play w/just two people.

Tom: I beat Karen at Ricochet Robots. I'm very proud of myself.

'Scene -It' was a lot of fun, but I felt that Bob's contributions to the visual questions of the game unbalanced things somewhat.

Thanks again for the great weekend!

Edit: Karen, thank you for letting me borrow your Firefly boxset. Just watched 'Our Mrs. Reynolds'... this is a great series.

[ February 23, 2004, 09:46 PM: Message edited by: Lime ]

Posts: 753 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

I should have told you to get gas before you left Radcliffe – I know there isn’t anything on hwy 20. [Frown] Sorry guys.

Banna: yes, the pillow you describe is one of the two I have. I’ll try to figure out how cheaply I can get it to you. Sarah and Abby thank you a million times more for helping fix and finish their quilt.

Farmgirl: found your atlas. It was in the dining room and I hadn’t done a complete sweep there yet. Would you like me to send it, or were you serious about getting a new one?

I still have one unclaimed pillow and a sock!

Banna_Oj
Member # 6207

The pillow isn't that big of a deal. I didn't think I was going to get it but I was looking for an excuse to buy a smiliar pillow in a different brand. So maybe just next time we get together.

AJ

Theca
Member # 1629

Gee, my drives were pretty boring, I guess.

I saw a great big sign along the interstate for a tattoo parlor in the next town. So, what, people are driving along the interstate in the middle of nowhere and decide to make a detour for a tattoo?! I mean, I was bored, but not THAT bored...

And there was a tollbooth in Illinois or Indiana that had some interesting signs. First they said to slow up for the tollbooth. Then they said don't use breaks, as this was in a quiet zone. Then they said to "check brakes". Then I paid the toll. I'm not sure how one is supposed to pay a toll without using brakes. And what does "check brakes" mean, anyway?

I had a lot of fun this weekend. I had a hard time adjusting to all the people at Dana's after my solitary 8 hour drive, but that quickly passed. Everyone was just how I imagined them, although I hadn't really much of an idea of what Farmgirl would be like and I thought that Vana would be shorter, for some reason.

I enjoyed all the conversations and the games, although I guess I watched a lot more games than I played. Farmgirl described the weekend food and activities pretty well. I really enjoyed the church service, especially the readings, sermon, and AJ's piano playing and Vana's oboe playing.

It WAS a great weekend.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"Tom: I beat Karen at Ricochet Robots. I'm very proud of myself."

As well you should be. I'm very impressed.

Although this raises an intriguing possibility: that at some point during the weekend, the real Karen was replaced with an imposter.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

dkw -- don't worry about the atlas, really. I would cost more to send it than for me to just buy a new one. Perhaps I'll pick it up from you when we go to Chicago, if I still want it then.

I imagine the sock is my daughter's since she has the habit of leaving socks everywhere -- when I can get her to wear them at all. But I'm not going to worry about that either. I wouldn't even know if it was missing -- we have so many unmatched socks in my house.

Theca -- the sign about brakes at the toll booth is directed toward semi drivers, not you. Semi trucks have "jake brakes" that reverse the engine that are quite loud. Basically it was telling truckers to not use their jake brakes, but to use and check their regular service brakes (the brakes on the wheels, on both the tractor and the trailer brakes) instead.

I forgot to mention the swan! DKW took this apple and made some very precise and unique cuts with a paring knife, and *presto* made a beautiful "swan" centerpiece for the relish dish. I was in awe. All weekend I felt like I was on one of those cruise ships where they have endless supplies of wonderful food day and night. (I have never been on a cruise ship -- just heard about it).

It's not that I'm a food fanatic -- it is just that I really admire people who have talents that I don't. Like artists -- people who can put wonderful things down with pen and paper -- because I can't do that. And with food -- so many people (like dkw) can make it into an art form, while I have always viewed cooking as sort of a chore and necessity, and just functional. So I voice admiration for people with these talents.

And I found lots to admire this weekend in all of you -- Tom's vast knowledge of all sorts of subjects; Theca's crocheting skills; BannaOJ's skill in quilting; dkw's cooking; etc etc. Quite a bunch we have. I'm so sorry that none of you got to see my skills <wink> but there were no lawns to mow or gardens to tend or landscaping to do, or animals to care for, or cars to be repaired. But I really do have skills! (playing that alchemy game was NOT one of them). [Wink]

Hugs to all,
Farmgirl

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.