FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Midwest Hatrack gathering -- Feb 20-22 -- Updates! (Page 4)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Midwest Hatrack gathering -- Feb 20-22 -- Updates!
Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in South Bend. So I'll be passing by Chicago on 80, I suppose. I haven't looked it up yet.

Not sure of when I can leave, tho. It's a 7 hour drive by the map so that means it'll be what, a little over 6 hours? That's shorter than I thought. I would probably leave on Friday. But I see patients on Friday till 11:30, then have to finish paperwork, phone calls, any hospital work, and officially sign out to another doctor so that could all take hours. Of course, the time change helps, it is an hour earlier in Iowa than Indiana. So I don't know when I would get there.

Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Banna_Oj
Member # 6207

- posted      Profile for Banna_Oj   Email Banna_Oj         Edit/Delete Post 
Dana, would you reccommend the I-80 to I 35 route at all?

AJ

Posts: 79 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, it's fine. Unless you're picking up Vana and Lime, in which case it would be a little out of your way.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Dan....If it's gas and snack money you're worried about, I don't mind dropping $80 to get you two out to Iowa. If you don't want charity -- and having been laid off myself, I know what that's like -- I'd be happy to consider it an interest-free loan.

(And if you don't want to make AJ drive a little bit out of her way, consider riding with us; we actually go THROUGH Rockford, I believe.)

Either way, I think we'd all pitch in to get you here. And there's some self-interest in this for me, too; if you don't come, this thing is going to be an estrogen-fest. [Smile]

[ February 15, 2004, 08:29 PM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lime
Member # 1707

- posted      Profile for Lime   Email Lime         Edit/Delete Post 
You guys are the sweetest and coolest people that I know. [Hail] [Hat]

Both Vána and I would love to come. AJ, if you would pick us up that would be wonderful beyond words.

Thank you!

Edit: I really appreciate the offer, Tom, but we're okay. If AJ doesn't mind too much, we'll grab a ride with her - dkw pointed out that AJ will be driving by herself, and it's always a good idea to have multiple people along when the territory is new.

[ February 15, 2004, 08:36 PM: Message edited by: Lime ]

Posts: 753 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
[Party]

Yeah!

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

Yay!

Hwy 20 is all divided highway and 65 speed limit once you get into Iowa, so it's not really that much slower than taking I80. And 20 is only nine miles north of me, I80 is 50 miles south.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Banna_Oj
Member # 6207

So how long did it take to drive to my place Dana?

I will have to leave after work on Friday so it will be a late night, another reason why it would be nice to have people in the car to talk to and maybe split up driving.

I might be able to get off an hour or so early but that is it.

AJ

Posts: 79 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lime
Member # 1707

Woohoo!
Posts: 753 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

Banna, I know it was just under 5 hours to Dan and Julie's. Can you figure it out from that?
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Well, you all can be praying for us that my tax refund will show up in my bank account before we leave for the gathering Friday.

This weekend we kind of got hit Boom! Boom! with some unexpected expenses that are really killing us this week, and making me think twice about the trip. My trusty Kirby (vacuum) broke and is going to run me $100 to fix it, and then my son had two prescriptions given to him yesterday that each ran over $100 -- and those were all unplanned expenses. (No, I didn't get the medical insurance policy that included prescription coverage, because we hadn't needed a single prescription in my household for the last 5-10 years!).

But we will do whatever it takes to get there.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok then it will be six total for me. It's about an hour to Rockford. Five from Dan and Julies wasn't as bad as I was thinking.

My plan at this point is to leave my house about 6pm (which is as soon as I can get off of work and get home) and head to Dan and Julie's.

This will put us in to Dana's at around midnight.

We should probably leave shortly after church on Sunday so that it doesn't get too late in getting home.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vána
Member # 3262

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] I'm so glad we get to come after all. [Smile]

Theca - your name is Julie too?? My goodness. I hope we don't get too confused! (I'll happily answer to Jules or Vána (though even my husband can't pronounce that right) if it turns out to be an issue, which I doubt.)

heeheehee - double parenthetical!

I think I need a nap.

Posts: 2661 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Dress for rain!

Forecast according to weather.com for that area of Iowa:

Fri
Feb 20 Rain / Wind 38°/21° 60 % chance of rain

Sat
Feb 21 Partly Cloudy 35°/21° 10 %

Sun
Feb 22 Partly Cloudy 39°/22

a bit nippier than it will be here!

Farmgirl

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Hey this is kinda cool!

If you check all the threads, it looks like there is a good chance that besides the Midwest Hatrack Gathering this weekend, this is the SAME weekend as the Florida Ren. Fair hatrack gathering, the So. Cal group gathering, and now the Utah gathering.

Surely we can all find a time to get together (online or via phone) since we are having so many gatherings on the same weekend?

Farmgirl

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
The trouble is time zones. The SoCal Shinda is called for 1-ish. That's 3-ish your time -- so 3:30 or 4:00 by the time most of the SoCallers have arrived. And it sounds like many of you will have already hit the road for the return trip. [Frown]

Utah is likely easier (depending on their schedule); but since the Floridians are RenFaire-ing, I wonder if that might complicate things.

OTOH, if we can manage it, it would be tres cool!

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lime
Member # 1707

I can pronounce it right if I feel like it.

"Vána"

See?

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Well, I listened to the morning news yesterday and heard them say that crude oil really jumped on the markets, so I hurried to fill up my pickup.

And, as expected, gasoline prices are 20 per gallon higher today than they were yesterday when I filled.

But I will have to fill again at least once (easily) before the trip. I sure hope the price comes back down soon. They have poor timing for a price jump (is there ever a good time?)

Farmgirl

dkw
Member # 3264

Mom did come down last weekend to help me clean, but we got distracted, and so instead of doing traditional cleaning (vacuuming carpets, mopping the kitchen, etc) we cleaned out the garage. So there may still be cobwebs on the ceiling when you all arrive, but whoever gets here first can park inside!

She also brought this strange stuff that was supposed to get hard water stains out of the toilet bowl but ended up turning the toilet into a lavalamp. [Eek!] Except it didn’t light up.

And she brought two cases of Weinhard’s root beer! [Cool] (I love my mommy.)

BannaOj
Member # 3206

well I was posting this post when either my server or hatrack went down last evening.

Yesterday, I managed to squash my pinky finger between two compressed nitrogen gas cylinders. It swelled up pretty good. I've been icing it and can bend it but it is still painful. I'm not really typing with it. So, Farmgirl, I may have to put you on piano standby depending on how bad it is on Saturday because I have no idea how it will hold up to hitting piano keys.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

::nervous shivers::

FG

Lime
Member # 1707

Man Banna, that stinks. Vána and I will be glad to trade of the driving responsibilities if you would like to take a break every now and again.
BannaOj
Member # 3206

It isn't terribly black and blue or anything, but the impact was right on the middle knuckle which is why it is painful. I'm sure I'm going to take you up on the driving switch since we are going to be in the car for five hours!

btw, I know Dana has said I can bring the dogs in the past. The question is, do you think it is a good idea in this situation with the number of people? Is anyone allergic or would anyone just plain rather not have them around? They will behave themselves, because they are used to traveling and being around people, though I'm sure Jake will a bit obsessive compulsive and want to play fetch with his squeaky ball. They are afraid of cats, and won't bother any that happen to be around.

I've been debating on bringing them. On the one hand I know Steve would be glad to have them out of his hair, and that they will enjoy the trip as much as I will, but on the other hand I don't want to impose or make anyone uncomfortable either. I would bring their travel crates for them to sleep in and get them out from underfoot when necessary. But, if you don't want them please tell me, not everyone is a dog person. I'm not going to be offended either way.

AJ

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

I vote you bring them if no one is allergic!

(I love dogs -- I have five myself)

Farmgirl

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
On the other hand, I vote to NOT bring them. Not only am I mildly allergic, but I think you'll have a much more relaxing day -- and drive --without having to worry about the dogs.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Banna_Oj
Member # 6207

Tom I won't bring them then, that is why I asked.

As far as the relaxing time and drive, one of my dogs is considerably more well traveled than I am. I have gone to several dog shows that are over a 6 hour drive away for a weekend with no problems whatsoever. I'd (personally) travel with them over a baby any day, since they curl up and go to sleep and don't cry <grin>.

AJ

Lavalamp
Member # 4337

- posted      Profile for Lavalamp           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
She also brought this strange stuff that was supposed to get hard water stains out of the toilet bowl but ended up turning the toilet into a lavalamp.
[Cool]

quote:
Except it didn’t light up.
I bet I can make it light up!

[Big Grin]

I wish I was joining you. I miss the Central Florida clump too. I'm feeling clumpless, and that's not a good thing for a Lavalamp to feel.

[Grumble] [Frown] [Cry]

Posts: 300 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Banna_Oj
Member # 6207

Lavalamp if you are feeling clumpless I think you just simply need to direct your focus inward and look inside yourself.

AJ

Lavalamp
Member # 4337

- posted      Profile for Lavalamp           Edit/Delete Post 
<looks inside himself>

Wow! You're right!

[Big Grin]

My Gawd, I'm beautiful!!!

Posts: 300 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm sure Jake will a bit obsessive compulsive and want to play fetch with his squeaky ball.
Ya think? You mean, you finally got him to play with that thing? [Big Grin]

My fingers are still chapped from doggie drool, and the ball's ... squishiness ... is unforgettable.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Banna_Oj
Member # 6207

Well you are going to be in Canada so it doesn't matter does it CT?

[Big Grin]

Btw if you get to watch a re-run of Westminster, the Cardigan Corgi you will see is Jake's nephew.

AJ

dkw
Member # 3264

xnera, is garlic okay? It's related to onions -- is it different enough to confuse your allergy?
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
Garlic is fine as long as I don't, like, swim in it. I had garlic bread and a salad with garlic dressing for lunch yesterday, and it didn't bother me.

Hey, can I commandeer your kitchen sometime on Saturday to make truffles? I'm in the mood for some Heavenly Good Chocolate, but I don't have time to make them tomorrow. Besides, it's fun to make chocolate in a group. I can bring the chocolate, cocoa powder, and Kahlua along; I'd need to either borrow some butter, an egg, and whipping cream, or buy them somewhere out there (too long a trip to really travel with them). Also would need a double-boiler and some bowls.

Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

I think truffle-making would be an excellent plan. I'll add those items to my grocery list.
dkw
Member # 3264

Which brings up the question of other activities. Which crafty things should I be digging out supplies for?

I've got stacks of games, but of course everyone is welcome to bring their own favorites.

Banna_Oj
Member # 6207

Do you have scrabble? <grin>

*raises hand

My name is AJ and I'm addicted to Scrabble.

dkw
Member # 3264

I think the scrabble set my siblings and I jointly own is at my parents house. I could have ljw bring it, or you could bring yours.
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

I'm a big fan of Trivial Pursuit and Cranium. Do you want me to bring them just in case?

Farmgirl

dkw
Member # 3264

Got 'em both.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

What about D&D? [Smile]
dkw
Member # 3264

Uh . . . I think I've got a second edition player's manual somewhere.

::looks around wildly::

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
MMMMmmmmmm garlic truffles!
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Bob -- are you sure you don't want to join us this weekend? I mean -- I'm sure you're not doing anything else with your Saturday night...

[Wink]

FG

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to have phone in my contribution to the whole thing...

I'm really sorry to miss it.

The board games especially. Ask Cor and Icarus. I'm the worst Scrabble player they've ever played with. And we're talking people who have two five year olds!!! [Eek!]

I've never played D&D. (no-one will let me [Cry] )

I've never played Cranium.

BUT!!!

I kick butt at Trivial Pursuit. As long as someone else handles the sports questions.

[Mad]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vána
Member # 3262

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
We have LotR Monopoly. Haven't played it yet (Christmas present from my brother). Shall we bring it?
Posts: 2661 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Ooooo

I've love to see a Trivial Pursuit championship game between Bob_S and my oldest son (undefeated). That would be awesome..

But which version????Hmmmmmmmm

Farmgirl

katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Not the Canadian!

I played the Canadian version with friends last Saturday. History was Canadian history. Politics was Canadian politics. I guessed Wayne Gretzky for every sports question. Wayne Gretzky was the answer once, but it was for the other side, and they missed it! Heh.

Our side won, but that's because we had someone to handle the sports questions, a mathemetician to handle the science questions, me to handle old movie questions, and a Canadian. Life is good. [Smile]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

::note to self -- never be on the same Trivial Pursuit team as Bob::

I don't know the sports questions either.

Vána, sure!

Banna_Oj
Member # 6207

Vana could you re-email me directions to your house?

AJ

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Who's Wayne Gretzky?
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.