FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Midwest Hatrack gathering -- Feb 20-22 -- Updates! (Page 6)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Midwest Hatrack gathering -- Feb 20-22 -- Updates!
Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
I took a picture of the swan. [Smile]
Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I ran over a goose on the way to work today.

[Cry]

Darn birds were standing the middle of the road right where there was a dark patch with no lighting.

Crud.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Yum! Roast goose for supper!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]

I was gonna say that! But I didn't want to come across as too cruel and callous. [Wink]

Thanks, Rivka - I get to have my cake and eat it too. [Smile]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I ran over a goose on the way to work today.
Not sure how this ended up in the Midwest Gathering thread, Bob.....but I guess I can see the remote swan/goose resemblence.

Thanks for your contribution! [Wink]

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah...I saw the thing about the culinary swan and got all sad about killing a goose. I'd finally started to get over it, then the swan thing comes up.

There are birds massing outside my office window. What does that mean? They're all staring at me!!!

[Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
Bob, be afraid, be very afraid. Have you ever seen the movie The Birds by Alfred Hitchcock? [Wink]
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, familiarity with geese would give cause for concern in and of itself. Bob obviously hasn't had too much contact with geese or he wouldn't feel so bad.

At the best of times, they are aggressive, constantly pooping, ill-tempered, noisy flocks of feathered vermin.

Did I mention they are aggressive and ill-tempered?

Bob should be afraid. Bob should be very afraid.

[ February 24, 2004, 02:59 PM: Message edited by: sndrake ]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Banna_Oj
Member # 6207

- posted      Profile for Banna_Oj   Email Banna_Oj         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually I belive Bob saw an excerpt of "The Birds" by phone while Farmgirl was holding onto him at the Midwest clump gathering.

AJ

Posts: 79 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
There were *tons* of geese that wandered around the campus where I went to seminary. One day during opening prayer for a class the woman leading the prayer went into a long, rambling thing about God “helping us to see ways to help people who are hungry and homeless, like maybe a way we could slaughter all the geese and use them to feed families who are hungry” . . . and on and on. The vegetarian members of the class were outraged, and even those of us who eat meat thought it was a pretty weird prayer. [Big Grin]
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
It is so hard to stay in any sort of worship mode with long rambly prayers. I've heard some doozies in my time but nothing that tops your geese story!

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

The scary thought is that this was just the idea she figured was okay to share in public. She hadn't even gotten to what she wants to do with Animal Shelters and orphanages.

[Razz]

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

So did everyone on Hatrack get a chance to see the PHOTOS of our gathering?

((actually, bumping some old threads in order to make certain other thread fall off the first page))

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

that after shower picture of me is horrendous
<grin>

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

btw dkw, I have been meaning to comment on your sermon. I don't think you used the exact same language in the second service, but I know you used the term "dazzling darkness" in the first service.

There is a Madeline L'Engle book, A Ring of Endless Light, that talks about that. It quotes some famous poet or philosopher using that term and the theme runs throughout the book. Did you think of all of that when you were writing your sermon? And if so, who was that poet because I should read more of him.

AJ

Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
Our Hatrack photos are finally up [Smile]
Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Tom -- what happened to that pic I saw you take of Karen with all the little RPG figurines in the foreground? I don't see that one up. I thought it would look real cool.

Farmgirl

imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
For some reason, I always thought AJ was a brunette...

Shows how much I know!

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
AJ and I look like we could be sisters. o_O
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

There is in God, some say, a deep but dazzling darkness . . .

AJ, you're good. It was a deliberate allusion – the poem is "The Night" by Henry Vaughan.

Edit: Linky

[ February 28, 2004, 05:07 PM: Message edited by: dkw ]

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thunder's Core Smith
Member # 6234

- posted      Profile for Thunder's Core Smith   Email Thunder's Core Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
That has to be one of the worste photos of me in existance. Thank you so much for sharing it with the world.
Posts: 40 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Banna_Oj
Member # 6207

I have to share what Tom named the link to my picture.
http://www.plastic-castle.com/tom/photos/hatrack/annawillneverforgiveme.jpg

It is a good thing that I have a sense of humor and was doing this: [Laugh] [ROFL] [ROFL] [ROFL]

Posts: 79 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

Added to my previous, The title “A Ring of Endless light” is from another Vaughan poem, ”The World”.

I saw eternity the other night, like a great ring of pure and endless light . . .

Banna_Oj
Member # 6207

[Big Grin]
Banna_Oj
Member # 6207

I was planning on finding the book and looking it up, but my bookshelves are in such disarray at the moment it is hard to find stuff. I will be extremely happy when we get the library finished.

Though, right now with the weather being good we've started on the outside again.

AJ

IvyGirl
Member # 6252

- posted      Profile for IvyGirl   Email IvyGirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey everybody! I had a great time in Iowa, and enjoyed meeting everyone there! It was a lot of fun! I hope to see some more of you in Chicago later as well. It was good seeing all of you and learning about all the people my mother talks to all the time! [Big Grin]

IvyGirl

Posts: 156 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

Ivygirl, hi! I enjoyed meeting you, and I hope you can join us online occasionally.
IvyGirl
Member # 6252

- posted      Profile for IvyGirl   Email IvyGirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey! Thanks! Well, hopefully I can pop in once in awhile, but I can't be around too much. Especially since I have to go to school again. [Cry] Oh well. Plus I promised my mom I wouldn't be too nosy! [Big Grin]
Posts: 156 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.