FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Ask the Rebbetzin (Page 22)

This topic comprises 27 pages: 1  2  3  ...  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27   
Author Topic: Ask the Rebbetzin
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think the last time I had a real biscuit was when I was a kid, before I kept kosher, at KFC.
That would explain it.

Plus, without buttermilk, biscuits just ain't right. And with buttermilk, no gravy for you.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
They (Ikea) have a little restaurant as well, where they serve Swedish meatballs to go with your Swedish furniture.
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep. You can buy them to take home too, in the Sweden Shoppe.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Minerva
Member # 2991

- posted      Profile for Minerva           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
quote:
Originally posted by Minerva:
I don't see candy as having anything to do with making Shabbos sacred. Just like I usually make potato kugel for Shabbos. That's not because I think we need kugel to make Shabbos sacred. It's just another way to make the day a little more special for children who can't fully understand yet.

I make potato kugel once every month or two. For one thing, it's wicked fattening, and for another, I get a huge hug from Tova when she finds out I made it. Particularly if I make it with my special barbecue sauce meatballs.
Calories do not count on Shabbos.
Posts: 289 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't always keep kosher (and I'm slowly introducing it to Andrew, who, frankly, is struggling). I have come up with some pretty good kosher alternatives for traditional Southern fare, but it's really hit-or-miss.

It's not that I object to sweets on Shabbat all around. We do allow Aerin to have treats at shul that she doesn't get at home (mostly cookies). It's the type of candy and the volume and the attitude about it. Aerin has major mouth issues, as well as Autism, and won't let us brush her teeth. Therefore, we're very picky about what she eats and we limit processed sugar as much as possible. Luckily, she doesn't have much of a sweet tooth. Our dentist told me that the worst candy you can give a child is lollipops and jelly beans. Lollipops coat the teeth with sugar every time you lick it and jelly beans stick to the teeth. He told us to avoid hard candy, chewy candy (skittles, etc.), and caramels. Chocolate is a much better option because most of it is washed off the teeth by saliva. It bothers me how concerned the kids are about the candy. They're constantly talking about it and begging for more and comparing how much they got. And I'm not talking about one lollipop a piece, either. They get cups from the kitchen and fill them up (these are the 12 ounce size). Then they go back for more.

I do love everything else about our shul, though. I'm the only pregnant woman (which is unusual) and everyone is super excited.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate all forms of sawmill gravy. Usually, at least in my experience, chicken fried steak is served with sawmill gravy as well, so it is a no go for me.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
quote:
I don't see candy as having anything to do with making Shabbos sacred. Just like I usually make potato kugel for Shabbos. That's not because I think we need kugel to make Shabbos sacred. It's just another way to make the day a little more special for children who can't fully understand yet.

I make potato kugel once every month or two. For one thing, it's wicked fattening, and for another, I get a huge hug from Tova when she finds out I made it. Particularly if I make it with my special barbecue sauce meatballs.
Calories do not count on Shabbos.
You know, I keep telling myself that, and maybe I'm just not having the proper kavana, but it seems not to work.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kwea:
I hate all forms of sawmill gravy. Usually, at least in my experience, chicken fried steak is served with sawmill gravy as well, so it is a no go for me.

Have you had it from a really good source? I ask because I thought it was gross until I finally got some good gravy.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
New query:

This stems from the Kosher Sauerkraut thread, but my question to the Rebbetzim* is this:

If you make a mistake and eat something that's not kosher what happens? Is there a purification ritual you can do, or would you have to call in a Rabbi? (I guess this question is valid for any kind folks who have a special dietary requirements for religous reasons)

Likewise if someone uses a meat pan for a dairy product - do you just cleanse the pan or does the whole kitchen need to be recertified?

* not sure if this is a valid plural, I only have very basic 'kitchen' Hebrew - most distinctly lo tov... [Wink]

Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

If you accidentally eat something non-kosher, you do teshuva (repent). You confess to God (in words) that you did it, you regret doing it, and you commit not to do it in the future.

(And if the Temple is standing, you have to bring a sin offering, but since it isn't, you don't.)

If you treyf a pan (make it non-kosher like you describe), you can kasher the pan, depending on what it's made of. And if you didn't cook in the pan or get it hot, you might not even have to do that. You definitely don't have to redo the whole kitchen.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you kasher only when you accidentally treyf a pan, or is it also done to deliberately re-purpose a pan?
Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MattP:
is it also done to deliberately re-purpose a pan?

Not generally allowed (because of concerns of having something you kasher frequently and forget the status of), but it is done for Pesach. In fact, the simplest way to make a meat pot milchig (for example) is to kasher it for Pesach -- now it can be whatever "gender" you want.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

We have a bunch of treyfed up silverware on top of the refrigerator. Whenever something gets treyfed (or possibly treyfed) we put it up there, and when we go to do hag'ala for Pesach, we bring that along with us.

For the record, not everything can be kashered. China, for example. Other ceramic based stuff (including Pyrex, I'm told, because it's a ceramic/glass mixture) as well.

Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
(And if the Temple is standing, you have to bring a sin offering, but since it isn't, you don't.)

That kind of answers question number 1: Why don't modern Jews still do animal sacrifices and grain sacrifices and whatnot?

Question 2: I saw on this list of the Jewish laws this whole thing about "remember what Amalek did" and whatnot, along with exterminating the Canaanites. Why just those occurrences? Why not include other groups that persecuted Jews, like Nazis and whatnot?

Question 3: This kind of goes along with question 1. Say the temple is rebuilt tomorrow(just a hypothetical situation), and the Jews all over the world had to start offering sacrifices again. Would every jew actually have to GO to Jerusalem to offer the sacrifice, or could they set up a sort of "online sacrifice" where sheep herders and whatnot have sacrificial sheep for sale, and you buy one online and it's sacrificed for you at the temple? This is completely hypothetical and branches from my tired, Vicodin-addled mind(I'm having serious health issues again), so forgive me if it sounds weird. Just curious.

Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Well! Sawmill gravy was something I hadn't heard of before, so I googled it, and, yeah, I'm thinking it's a good thing I havne't had it before. I am just not a gravy person.

Yeah, late to the part. Again. [Smile]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
FTR, I've never had sawmill gravy on chicken fried steak...
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

(Also FTR, I think "treyfed up" is an awesome phrase construction.)
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Tinros:
quote:

That kind of answers question number 1: Why don't modern Jews still do animal sacrifices and grain sacrifices and whatnot?
We can't. We don't have access to the Temple Mount, and the place of the altar. In fact, if a Jew goes up to the Temple Mount, the police watch very carefully, and if they move their lips in a way that appears to indicate that they're praying, they're arrested or removed from the area. Out of fear that the Arabs will riot.

We're not allowed to bring sacrifices elsewhere.

quote:
Question 2: I saw on this list of the Jewish laws this whole thing about "remember what Amalek did" and whatnot, along with exterminating the Canaanites. Why just those occurrences? Why not include other groups that persecuted Jews, like Nazis and whatnot?

It's a specific requirement. Not the Canaanite thing, just Amalek. Amalek was special. I wrote a blog post about it once. Link.

quote:
Question 3: This kind of goes along with question 1. Say the temple is rebuilt tomorrow(just a hypothetical situation), and the Jews all over the world had to start offering sacrifices again. Would every jew actually have to GO to Jerusalem to offer the sacrifice, or could they set up a sort of "online sacrifice" where sheep herders and whatnot have sacrificial sheep for sale, and you buy one online and it's sacrificed for you at the temple? This is completely hypothetical and branches from my tired, Vicodin-addled mind(I'm having serious health issues again), so forgive me if it sounds weird. Just curious.

Sorry you're not feeling well. And... you'd have to go. But there's an obligation to go to Jerusalem (when the Temple is standing) three times a year anyway. Passover, Shavuot and Sukkot. Presumably, you'd be able to bring any required sin offerings at that time as well.

On the other hand, the Rambam (Maimonides) says that two of the things the Messiah will do (things by which we'll know that he's the Messiah) are bringing all the Jews back to Israel, and rebuilding the Temple. So presumably, your question would only be relevant for people who were outside of Israel temporarily.

Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:

Jewspeak. That's actually how I'd say it in real life. Other fun examples:

"I'm having Shabbos lunch by the Bergers".

"So... what can we learn out from the fact that Rashi and Tosfot disagree?"

Non-standard English, but any frum Jew will understand it.

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
But, but, by me, that's standard!
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Lisa. And now I'm curious: How many Jews are there, the world over? And how could they all possibly fit inside the walls of Jerusalem? I realize that probably can't be answered, I'm just trying to imagine the Jews as a people all in one place, and it's mind boggling.
Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

I don't know how many. And we don't all have to be within the walls of Jerusalem at one time. Passover is seven days. Sukkot is effectively 8 (seven days plus Shmini Atzeret), and even though Shavuot is only 1 day, we get a week to get all the holiday sacrifices done.
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
But, but, by me, that's standard!

Heh. I remember reading an article where this guy was lamenting the fact that translations of Jewish texts use this kind of Jewspeak. He thought it made us look bad. I figure jargon is jargon. It's a kind of dialect, is all.
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
For the record, not everything can be kashered. China, for example. Other ceramic based stuff (including Pyrex, I'm told, because it's a ceramic/glass mixture) as well.

Pots/pans with nonstick coatings are also a problem, as is all plastic (according to most opinions, anyway).

quote:
Presumably, you'd be able to bring any required sin offerings at that time as well.

I have seen discussions that indicate that this certainly was the expected behavior, and see no reason why it would not be again.

quote:
quote:

Jewspeak. That's actually how I'd say it in real life. Other fun examples:

"So... what can we learn out from the fact that Rashi and Tosfot disagree?"

Non-standard English, but any frum Jew will understand it.

There is a difference between your first and third examples and the second: the first and last have no equivalent English phrasing that means the same thing. The second does, and there is no reason to use the very ignorant sounding Yiddishism (unless one is speaking Yiddish, of course). Having lunch "by someone" has a meaning in English -- sitting outside their house. Possibly on the sidewalk? Try "at their home" or "with" them.

quote:
Thanks, Lisa. And now I'm curious: How many Jews are there, the world over? And how could they all possibly fit inside the walls of Jerusalem?

It required a miracle, and it will again.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:

There is a difference between your first and third examples and the second: the first and last have no equivalent English phrasing that means the same thing. The second does, and there is no reason to use the very ignorant sounding Yiddishism (unless one is speaking Yiddish, of course). Having lunch "by someone" has a meaning in English -- sitting outside their house. Possibly on the sidewalk? Try "at their home" or "with" them.
<shrug> Sorry if it bothers you. Where I'm from, it's normal usage. It doesn't sound ignorant to anyone around here. But I guess that's why they make chocolate and vanilla. I mean, "treyfed up" sounds wrong to some people, even if it doesn't to you.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
By me, "having burgers by the Bergers" sounds fine. It's a dialect and a regionalism. I know from ignorant, and this isn't it.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

Southern Jews sometimes feel left out when non-Southern Jews use "Yiddishisms" or "Jewspeak." Not that anyone is doing it deliberately, but a lot of phrases just aren't used in the South. Of course, you'll never hear anyone say, "I'm fixing to go to shul," outside the South.

Funny story - our shul had a Jewish food festival last spring. I was looking at the desserts and there was something called mandel bread that I'd never heard of before. I said to the gentleman manning the table, "Excuse me, sir, can you tell me what's in this mandel bread?" I pronounced it like you would Howie Mandel's last name. Apparently, this is not the correct pronounciation and the gentleman was not a native Southerner. He looked at me like I was nuts and said, "Do you mean the mandel bread?" I felt like a jerk and nodded. He let me taste some and it was really good, like biscotti. He also had me flustered, so my accent got a little thicker and I asked him for a mess of them to take home. Again, the look like I was insane. "How much is a mess?" "Oh, just a whole bunch, please." "How about four?" I gave him my tickets and booked.

I called my mother that night and asked her if she'd ever heard of mandel bread. Of course she had. Thanks a lot, Big Momma. We had nearly identical conversations when I moved to New York about things like babka and rugalah. I'm still kind of annoyed that she never gave me a proper Jewish food education.

Maybe it's because my father is gentile, but there are a lot of Jewish foods that I just can't stand, especially herring, gefilte fish, kishkes, and cholent. I'm planning the menu for the kiddush luncheon we're sponsoring for the twins' naming, so Jewish food in on my mind. There will be none of the aforementioned food on the menu, to the sorrow of Andrew's family.

I'm also having a hard time coming up with a Hebrew name for the second baby. Aerin's is Sela Shoshana and mine is Keren Miriam. I'm going to give each twin just one and I have one picked out for the first baby. Any suggestions? We have living relatives named Elisheva, Bayla, Ruth, Rachel, and Rivka, so those are out.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Mrs.M:
I'm also having a hard time coming up with a Hebrew name for the second baby. Aerin's is Sela Shoshana and mine is Keren Miriam. I'm going to give each twin just one and I have one picked out for the first baby. Any suggestions? We have living relatives named Elisheva, Bayla, Ruth, Rachel, and Rivka, so those are out.

My sister did a baby naming for her daughter last Friday night. Her name is Billie Isabel, and she named her Basha Yisraela. I came up with the Yisraela for her, because Isabel is basically Jezebel, and I didn't think that'd be a good Hebrew name.

Do you have any deceased relatives you want to name her for? What's her English name?

Mrs.M
Member # 2943

Mazel tov on your niece! That's a lovely name. My grandmother's English name is Isabelle and her Hebrew name is Bayla b/c it sounds kind of like Bella.

Aerin is named for Andrew's aunt (Sela) and grandmother (Shoshana). All of our other close relatives are living or have already been named after the ones who are deceased. The English names are Camille Victoria and Leni Ann - we're not sure which baby is getting which name. The name I've picked for one of them isn't close sounding to either English name, it's just one I've loved for years.

It's funny how you can't seem to win with kids. One of my cousins hates having an English name and had it legally changed to her Hebrew name. Our rabbi's oldest daughter is furious that she doesn't have an English name. Of course, she's 4, so I'm sure that will change. I always liked having both, personally, but it's very important to me to choose a Hebrew name that I love in case the girls want to go by that. I hope they'll all be frum, so it's a real possibility.

Minerva
Member # 2991

Hebrew:
Camille - Abital or Carmel
Leni - Leah

Or Yiddish:
Camille - Sisel or Tzeitel (actually a nickname)
Leni - Leba

Posts: 289 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I think with those names I might choose a Hebrew name that was close to the MEANING of the name, instead of the sound, if it were me (which of course it's not. Camille comes from "virginal, unblemished character", and Leni from "torch." So is there a name you like that has a meaning related to any of the following concepts?

Camille: Pure, good, strong, faithful
Leni: light, brightness, understanding, wisdom

That's the direction I would go with it (being very into baby names and such.)

quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pots/pans with nonstick coatings are also a problem, as is all plastic (according to most opinions, anyway).

Does that have to do with being porous?
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:

Among other things. Earthenware cannot be kashered either.

quote:
Pure, good, strong, faithful
Bruriah (the original), Tova (lit.: good), Shifra, Emunah (lit. faith, or faithful)

quote:
light
There are a lot of female names that mean "light"! Among them: Meira, Eliora, Keren, Liora, Ora.
quote:
brightness, understanding, wisdom
Bina (lit.: understanding or wisdom)
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Ooooh, I love Eliora or Liora for Leni.

And I think Tova or Emunah is nice for Camille.

Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
I think with those names I might choose a Hebrew name that was close to the MEANING of the name, instead of the sound, if it were me (which of course it's not. Camille comes from "virginal, unblemished character", and Leni from "torch." So is there a name you like that has a meaning related to any of the following concepts?

Camille: Pure, good, strong, faithful
Leni: light, brightness, understanding, wisdom

Tamar might be good for Camille. Tami, a common nickname for Tamar, sounds like "tam", which means "pure, perfect, unblemished", while Tamar itself means a date palm, which carries imagery of being tall and strong.

Bina means understanding, and Liora is the Hebrew for "I have light".

Malka means "queen", and sounds a little like Camille (swap the syllables).

Emunah means "faith". Tova means "good"

quote:
That's the direction I would go with it (being very into baby names and such.)

quote:
quote:

Yup.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Emunah has the same "name feel" as Camille to me. I can't explain it and I don't know why, but it does. Tamar is pretty close, about as close as Tova. Malka is a little more different but I like it, too.
Shmuel
Member # 7586

- posted      Profile for Shmuel   Email Shmuel         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mrs.M:
I was looking at the desserts and there was something called mandel bread that I'd never heard of before.

I was actually thinking the other day that somebody ought to make a Menger sponge out of mandelbrodt for double the fractal goodness...
Posts: 884 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*GROAN*

(I have to tell my parents that one!)

Mrs.M
Member # 2943

Just thought I'd say Shanah Tovah to everyone.

Also wanted to let y'all know that Jelly Belly jelly beans are now kosher! Whoo hoo!

I discovered this when the mom of the 2 Lubavitch girls invited to Aerin's birthday party called to let me know that they can't have OUD food (I'd already ordered the ice cream cake of course). I had Hershey Kisses and 3 Musketeers (because Aerin was 3) in the gift bags and I didn't want the 2 little girls to be the only ones without candy. Thank goodness for Jelly Belly. And organic apple juice.

rivka
Member # 4859

How did I miss that? I'm on their alert list, so I must have gotten something. That is pretty cool. [Smile]

Shanah tovah to all! [Smile]

A timely video.

anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Rivka - could you spare a couple of lines to explain the video please?
Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

Very cool video, Rivka.
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
How did I miss that? I'm on their alert list, so I must have gotten something. That is pretty cool. [Smile]

Though nothing will ever beat the wonderous days when Oreos and Milanos (!!!) became kosher.
Shmuel
Member # 7586

- posted      Profile for Shmuel   Email Shmuel         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by anti_maven:
Hi Rivka - could you spare a couple of lines to explain the video please?

It's a montage illustrating a direct, phrase-by-phrase translation of a prayer from the Rosh Hashana / Yom Kippur liturgy, which dramatically sets out the central theme of the High Holiday season. At some points the translation is accompanied by the original Hebrew on the soundtrack.
Posts: 884 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

And the blog (linked on the bottom of the video) goes into a great deal more detail.
Lisa
Member # 8384

Wikilink about the prayer.
Minerva
Member # 2991

quote:
quote:

Though nothing will ever beat the wonderous days when Oreos and Milanos (!!!) became kosher.
Take that, Hydrox!
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
לשןה טובה

L'shanah tovah!

Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

May it be a good year for all of us. [Smile]
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
*breaks out the apples and honey*
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Minerva
Member # 2991

I saw Hydrox in the supermarket. They are dairy, though. I thought they used to be pareve.
  This topic comprises 27 pages: 1  2  3  ...  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.