FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Ask the Rebbetzin (Page 26)

This topic comprises 27 pages: 1  2  3  ...  23  24  25  26  27   
Author Topic: Ask the Rebbetzin
JanitorBlade
Administrator
Member # 12343

- posted      Profile for JanitorBlade   Email JanitorBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
While I think thread drift will happen, and the vast majority of threads here permit this, I see no reason why we cannot have threads that retain a certain focus in their scope. Of course you have the right to refuse to stay on a certain topic, but it's common courtesy to start a new thread. It's also not very difficult.

rivka has discussed her faith in myriad threads. There isn't anything unique about this one that cannot be replicated in another, assuming she would like to discuss the topic in the first place.

Please take it somewhere else boys, I'd appreciate it.

Posts: 1194 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

- posted      Profile for Armoth   Email Armoth         Edit/Delete Post 
Public apology to Rivka: I'm sorry. I would have pursued on a separate thread, but when others kept posting, I felt it necessary to keep posting, over your explicit wishes. Sometimes it's hard to give proper respect in the heat of the moment and for that I apologize.
Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Rebbetzin, I am still single but don't wish to be, how can I alleviate this plight? Thank-you.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
More of a Hebrew question, but asked in the context of the Torah:

Some Christians, Mormons in particular, consider "thee" or "thou" to be a more respectful, reverent form of "you" and use those forms when addressing prayers to deity. Does Hebrew have formal/informal forms of "you" and, if so, do Jews follow a similar convention when addressing G'd vs addressing others?

Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Hebrew only has one second person singular pronoun per gender. Ata (pronounced ah-TAH) for a male and at (pronounced AHT) for a female. There's a plural masculine and plural feminine as well. Only first person is ungendered.

To the best of my knowledge, English used to have a singular second person pronoun (thee) and a plural second person pronoun (you). And over the years, the plural came to be used as well for the singular, and thee just dropped out. Similar blurring has happened in modern Hebrew as well, in certain other cases. First person singular future tense verbs have all but disappeared in common speech, particularly among kids.

But no, there's no distinction made between addressing a person and addressing God, grammar-wise.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Hobbes:
Dear Rebbetzin, I am still single but don't wish to be, how can I alleviate this plight?

Dear Hobbes,

You seem to have mistaken this thread for the matchmaker thread we had floating around a few years back.

Also, as the rebbetzin is also single, she may not be the best person to ask this question. [Wink]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it possible to produce an e-reader that is usable during Shabbat?
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

For single page books? Possibly.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:
Originally posted by Hobbes:
Dear Rebbetzin, I am still single but don't wish to be, how can I alleviate this plight?

Dear Hobbes,

You seem to have mistaken this thread for the matchmaker thread we had floating around a few years back.

Also, as the rebbetzin is also single, she may not be the best person to ask this question. [Wink]

Dear Rebbetzin,

Darn.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
For single page books? Possibly.

[Laugh]
ambyr
Member # 7616

- posted      Profile for ambyr           Edit/Delete Post 
I would think something similar to a Shabbos elevator might work, as well? (That is, a book that turned pages on its own at predefined intervals, with no input from the reader.)

Not sure why you'd want one, though.

Posts: 650 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

Seriously. That would drive me crazy.
rivka
Member # 4859

And what happens when you have to leave the room for a minute? That's it, you missed 5 pages.

I see no way this could work, practically.

Stephan
Member # 7549

Would something that senses eye or head movement be permissable?
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Definitely no.
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
How about the Force?
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I'm going to have to go with no.
Lisa
Member # 8384

I always wondered about psychic/super powers. Like, if you had telekinesis, would it be permissible to move something with your mind on Shabbat outside of an eruv? Would that be considered inherently a shinui? How about lighting fires with your mind?
rivka
Member # 4859

The last time I asked my rav -- after he stopped snickering -- he said he could see no reason why it wouldn't be just as problematic as using direct physical action. But that once I developed such powers, I should come back and ask him again.
Lisa
Member # 8384

Fair enough.
Stephan
Member # 7549

You should read Dean Koontz's Breathless, I think he is friends with this guy.
rivka
Member # 4859

With which guy? My rav?

It's not impossible.

Stephan
Member # 7549

quote:
With which guy? My rav?

It's not impossible.

Lisa'a clip. The book turns into a creationist rant.

edit - I guess she deleted it.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
In all seriousness, what about robots? They're non-sentient; you could argue that they're basically a glorified timer that can operate multiple devices at once.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

What ABOUT robots? You want one to turn pages for you?

You cannot have an animal do work for you on Shabbos either. Sentience is not required.

Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
a robot is not an animal?
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Didn't say it was. I think it may be more analogous to an animal than to a timer, though.

(Not that everybody is so thrilled with timers, anyway. And even timers can only be used for certain things.)

Stephan
Member # 7549

Is there discussion about future transition to digital books?
Lisa
Member # 8384

I think the toughest thing is going to be once there are real AIs and one of them wants to convert.
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Stephan:

All religious issues aside, there will always be print books. I like ebooks a lot, but there is nothing like holding a book in your hands.

Lisa, given how many mitzvos require a physical body, what would that even MEAN?

Stephan
Member # 7549

The first Reform Jewish AI tries to move to Israel.
Mucus
Member # 9735

It means ...
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Linky no worky.
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Stephan:

All religious issues aside, there will always be print books. I like ebooks a lot, but there is nothing like holding a book in your hands.

Lisa, given how many mitzvos require a physical body, what would that even MEAN?

I assume that once we have true AI, making bodies for them will be a relatively trivial exercise.
Mucus
Member # 9735

I dunno, depends on your browser plugins?
rivka
Member # 4859

Don't think so. Looks like the site doesn't support hotlinks.
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
I think the toughest thing is going to be once there are real AIs and one of them wants to convert.

There being no human mohel strong enough, the robo-proselyte had to take matters into his own hands.
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Rebbetzin,
If you could recommend any book to a non-Jew interested in learning more about Judaism, what would it be?

Thanks in advance,
Erin

Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Could you be more specific about what you're looking for? History, daily living, theology, stories, what?

There are a LOT of books on the subject! [Wink]

Tinros
Member # 8328

Um... all of the above? [Razz]

I suppose I'm most curious about the Oral Torah, and the teachings of Maimonides, but I have no idea where to start.

Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Well, his Guide to the Perplexed is a classic for a reason. There are many translations out there; I'd suggest this one.
Tinros
Member # 8328

Thanks, Rivka!
rivka
Member # 4859

[Smile]
emns
Member # 12706

- posted      Profile for emns           Edit/Delete Post 
wow i wouldn't mind seeing this thread come back to life!
Posts: 2 | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Minerva
Member # 2991

- posted      Profile for Minerva           Edit/Delete Post 
For general background, I've always liked "This is My God" by Herman Wouk.

http://www.amazon.com/This-My-God-Herman-Wouk/dp/0316955140/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1324296507&sr=8-1

Posts: 289 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jaysedai6
Member # 8856

- posted      Profile for jaysedai6   Email jaysedai6         Edit/Delete Post 
Have a couple questions about food. If dishes are no longer useable, can you give them to a non-jew?Can you use the same dishwasher for both set of cookware? If you start out the day with milk. are all the rest of the day- milk meals?Lived in Chicago 198o to 1979, enjoined all kinds of food. Butera was a small chain store, just 3 stores back then. One Wednesday I asked the butcher if there were any stewing hens left. He told me yes and then said I didnt know you were Jewish. I laughed and said just like chicken and noodles, he said the Jewish ladies always came in on a Wednesday for stewing hens, and never come in on Thursday, because all the hens would be gone.
Posts: 28 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by jaysedai6:
Have a couple questions about food. If dishes are no longer useable, can you give them to a non-jew?

Sure.

quote:
Can you use the same dishwasher for both set of cookware?

Not according to most Orthodox authorities.

quote:
If you start out the day with milk. are all the rest of the day- milk meals?

No. After most dairy things (exception: hard cheese) there is either no required waiting period or some people have a custom of waiting one hour. So you could easily have a latte with breakfast, a dairy lunch, and a meat supper. Or even a meat lunch and a dairy supper, as long as there was at least 3-6 hours (varies by family custom) in between.
jaysedai6
Member # 8856

- posted      Profile for jaysedai6   Email jaysedai6         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you very much.I can get bagels and smoked salmon here in Iowa, no chicken liver mix in this town of 25,000. Maybe I can find a Jewish deli in Des Moines or Iowa City.
Posts: 28 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

There used to be a very nice kosher deli and market in Des Moines. Not sure if it's still there.
  This topic comprises 27 pages: 1  2  3  ...  23  24  25  26  27   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.