FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » They Might Be Documentary Fodder

Author Topic: They Might Be Documentary Fodder
Mankind
Member # 2672

- posted      Profile for Mankind   Email Mankind         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I finally got around to seeing "Gigantic: A Tale of Two Johns", the documentary about uber-indie band They Might Be Giants.

Overall, a pretty good film. How good? Well, it's not as insightful as, say, a New Yorker peice, nor as funny as a post "I Love the 80's" VH1 special, but more insightful than, say, an Access Hollywood piece, and funnier than a post "I Love the 80's" E! network special.

Definitely worth watching. And the DVD is worth the price of admission, with lots of bonus features with concert footage and early videos and even a couple of easter eggs, one of which explains who the bald headed guy from all their early stage shows was.

Some disappointments made the film obviously less than all-encompassing--there's no mention at all of the Tiny Toons appearances, and no mention made of September 11th, even though their album was released that day. They even cheat, by showing the line outside before the release and saying it's "September 10th," as if they really, really wanted to avoid bringing it up.

It was a big deal to me, because I didn't get the album that day because after work I just sat around watching the news, and then my wife went into the hospital two days later for a heart problem, and then my first baby was born by Saturday. I bought the album the next Monday, along with a Sesame Street album for my new daughter. I took her home that night, while my wife stayed in the hospital. We listened to both all the way through a couple of times that night.

I still like to sing "It's So Loud In Here" when I'm trying to put her to sleep.

But enough weird anecdotal asides. They made that choice for an obvious reason--they were trying to keep the piece fun. And it is fun. And so are the extras.

Anybody else catch this yet?

Posts: 75 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dude Love
Member # 2437

- posted      Profile for Dude Love   Email Dude Love         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. I thought everybody here was as big a geek as me.

I guess not.

Posts: 86 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.