FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » OSC-fan, or what the heck did happen ? (Page 3)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: OSC-fan, or what the heck did happen ?
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
*giggle* And he answers to Erika (and Erica) on occasion as well. [Big Grin]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Did someone say Erika?
Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
edit: the page turned

[ March 09, 2004, 06:12 PM: Message edited by: pooka ]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
I know a roly-poly German couple whose names are Erik and Erica. What is even scarier is that after they were married they researched it and are pretty sure their family tree meshes three or four generations back.

[Eek!]

They are a delightful couple, though and I'm going to send them to Icky next time they go to Disney world. They know so much Disney trivia they were offered tour guide jobs on the spot.
[Cool]

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
So if I hung out here long enough, someone in the forum might actually start to care whether I had Cub Scouts outside my door?

It's real enough to me, but the possibility that someone on the other side of the world might care blows my mind.

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
We call him Elaine because of a thread that talked about which gender was denoted by screen names, and alot of people thought eslaine was feminine.

Isn't that correct?

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Jouzo, that's the stuff we care MOST about. For example, you know Bob and Dana are dating in real life, right?

[Cool]

[ March 09, 2004, 06:19 PM: Message edited by: PSI Teleport ]

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

PIST, I think so, I would just consider that an amplification of what I already said though.

And skilliery yes, if you stick around you will find people here who do care about the Cub Scouts outside your door and might even have interesting ideas on how to deal with the crisis.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

AJ! [ROFL]

I thought you were trying to be very quiet.

BannaOj
Member # 3206

could you set them up in a production line, having each kid do a more specialized task? or do they each want their cars unique? Do you want to try a couple different design styles from your own ideas?

If they are all the same then it is a pretty even competition of who beats whom... do they realize this?

AJ

rivka
Member # 4859

AJ, you seem to be having a little trouble with names today . . . *pat pat*

*tries not to laugh*

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

*be vewy vewy quiet I'm hunting Wabbits"

Not to be confused with The Rabbit who is a class act!

AJ

BannaOj
Member # 3206

[ROFL] yes I just got the joke [ROFL]
I think I will leave that one just the way it is...
Time to leave work before I get even more dyslexic.

AJ

katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
*raises hand* I care. I work for the Boy Scouts national office.

Thank you for helping them with the derby. That's great. Did you know if you come to the museum here in Dallas, there is a hands-on derby display?

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

You could even start a pinewood derby thread. I'm sure there are tons of folks with interesting reminisces and suggestions. I bet I'm not the only girl who tried to make them.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

Okay, I'll start a Pinewood Derby thread. Thanks!
Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You guys have to admit that you are a really tight community and tend to skim over newbie posts.

That newbie will be looking for a response to his/her post and is not going to see anything but emoticons swapped back and forth between insiders.

Then some smart-alek says something like: "listen...did you hear something?" "I didn't hear anything...now what were we talking about?"

So our newbie posts something really outrageous to grab everyone's attention, and then you guys get into a vertical urinating contest with him/her.

skillery, I was going to say that you might want to wait a bit longer than three weeks before passing judgment on a bunch of people that you admit you know very little about. However, that would be a little hypocritical, as I was here a very short time before I was complaining about certain posters. The fact that some of these people were nearly universally disliked and are still invoked as a boogeyman makes little difference.

I can think of only a handful of people around here that get big name recognition, and even fewer that are anywhere near universally liked (I'm certainly not one of them). But everyone who has been here long enough for people to get to know them has found some subgroup of people with whom they get along.

The way to think of Hatrack is not as a business or a group of people that owe you something. We don't. To make an analogy, you wouldn't wander into someone else's lunch and insist they treat you the same as the long-time friends that have lunch with every day. If you are interested in being here, continue posting, and eventually you'll find your niche. If you've already decided we have nothing to offer you, then that's likely true.

---------------------------------

Jake, just for the record, which Mike were you talking about? Because I've finally gotten to the point where I've stopped thinking of myself as a newbie, and I just don't know what I'd do if I had to go back into my little newbie box.

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

One way you can avoid that "being skipped over" altogether is to be as inflammatory as possible, apologize like crazy, and refuse to leave.

That's how I did it.

lcarus
Member # 4395

- posted      Profile for lcarus           Edit/Delete Post 
saxon, I can think of few people here who get better name recognition than you. I also can't possibly conceive of anybody not liking you; you seem pretty universally liked to me.

-o-

BTW, if you want to assure responses, refer to other posters by name in your posts! [Wink]

Posts: 1112 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

Do you remember fil who wasn't filletted but they joined at the same time and it was kind of unfortunate? That's skillery. Or at least that's what he said when we gave him the "are you cedrios" treatment.

P.S. If you are a newbie and reading it, not everyone gets accused of being cedrios. At least I never did.

[ March 09, 2004, 07:39 PM: Message edited by: pooka ]

saxon75
Member # 4589

Ic, thanks. You took the bait quite nicely. [Smile]

OK, I wasn't really fishing for compliments. Maybe I have a distorted self-image or something. I appreciate you saying nice things about me all the same.

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcarus
Member # 4395

*cough*reciprocate*cough*
Posts: 1112 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

You guys are so manly!

[Kiss]
[Kiss]

T. Analog Kid
Member # 381

- posted      Profile for T. Analog Kid   Email T. Analog Kid         Edit/Delete Post 
Icarus is quite cool. [Cool]
Posts: 2112 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

Pepe, I didn't say anything back because I figured you already knew about your celebrity status around here. I just take it as a given.
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Of course everybody loves Icky!

There was a thread a while back about what you had to do to be considered an oldbie once. I wish I could find it, it was hilarious.

There was something in there about being able to recite from memory at least 10 Patrick Poyfair screenames, give a recipe for my cookies, recite the exact lineage of Elrond, Lord of Rivendell, and others.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
I think a lot of it has to do with how involved you are with the people on this forum, too.

I've been here for years -- and I've been reading the forum for years -- but I often don't participate in it as much as the....more well-known? oldbies are. Mostly it's just because I don't have the time -- I'd love to spend more time here (and I definitely have been, lately), but there's so much that goes on outside the forum that I just haven't been able to do, like Parachat/AIM, gatherings, mafia...stuff like that. I think a lot of the community here is forged by individual personal connections and less by the kind of group interaction that defines other communities.

Then again, I also tend to stick to the serious threads, so I miss a lot of the inside jokes that go on. Usually I end up involved in a thread on a particular issue and ignore everything else that goes on. Honestly, I have no idea how Hatrackers have the emotional energy to post something in every thread at once! (And some of you definitely do. So to you, I [Hail] .)

I think you'll find your way eventually, skillery. But my advice would be to get to know some of these people first, because the better they know who you are and what you're like the more likely it is that they'll respond to what you have to say -- I know, for example, that I would tailor a respose to Belle differently than I would one to say, pH. I know enough about their real-life backgrounds for my arguments to be relevent/worth responding to.

So I say, stick around a little bit longer. You never know where it might take you [Smile]

[ March 09, 2004, 10:58 PM: Message edited by: Kasie H ]

Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm convinced that people still think of me as a newbie because I don't post much, and most of what I do post is pretty unimportant.

I don't think I'm a newbie, I've been here a year and a half, am officially real, and know all the inside jokes. [Confused]

Oh, and Icarus is my very favoritest jatraquero, so there. [Razz]

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcarus
Member # 4395

[Blushing] [Big Grin]

(Just so you all know, I was kidding, okay?)

[Big Grin]

pooka
Member # 5003

You could post a thread about how no one would even notice if you weren't around (((blacwolve)))
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
Forgive the ignorance of a young newbie, but who is cedrios? I keep seeing references to that name. Maybe I haven't stumbled across the right thread yet....
Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

PSIT:
quote:
One way you can avoid that "being skipped over" altogether is to be as inflammatory as possible, apologize like crazy, and refuse to leave.

That's how I did it.

Oh brother. That's me!
larisse
Member # 2221

- posted      Profile for larisse   Email larisse         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Ic, thanks. You took the bait quite nicely. [Smile]

OK, I wasn't really fishing for compliments.

Is it just me or does that not strike anybody else as funny with Ic and a fish comment in the same post? Okay. Fine. It's just me then.

Anyways, I know that sometimes I do feel like a newbie here. And, sometimes I feel like old hat (pun intended). It can get a little bit intimidating coming here knowing that there are people who have actually met because of this forum. Sometimes you do have to jump into the deep end and hope you don't drown. (Right now, I prefer the shallow end. [Wink] )

Seems to me that OSC_Fan went out of their way to do a cannonball. I got the impression, in the Da Vinci thread, that they had hostile feelings to all religions but their own (whether that be LDS or not). They held it up in a superior, "holier than thou" (no pun intended) way. They were very defensive where I saw no cause to be. Of course, now impressions can no longer be made.

BTW... I remember being surprised when I read that they claimed to be an older woman. Up to that point, I had had the impression of a teenage boy. (No offense to teenage boys.)

Oh well... my 2¢.

Edit: I should so know the difference between thou and though. I chalk it up to being up way past my bedtime... yeah.. that's it. [Big Grin]

[ March 10, 2004, 01:55 AM: Message edited by: larisse ]

Posts: 822 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*snort* larisse, I hadn't thought of the pun possibilities -- clever!

And I agree about your analysis of OSC-fan.

Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
Digging-holes, there's a lot to say about Cedrios but he's not worth to. Let's just say he was rude, stupid and a liar, and he was fired of the community by the mods, which happens quasi-never. He tried to come back under other screen-names. He really traumatized the community, because the Cedrios-paranoïa is very active : understand that when a newbie is a little (or a lot) trollish, someone will probably suspect him to be Cedrios. Maybe we give him too much importance. He's not the only troll in the world, unfortunatly.
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
When I first came here, lots of people were quasi-rude to me because they thought I was a guy who went buy the screen name as Otaku, or something like that. Now, I ran into him a few times, and I never saw the similarity, as he loved trolling, and I feel I am fairly polite.

Then Otaku changed his ways a bit, and if I remember correctly he changed his screen name and began to try and be a bit more polite. I killed my computer shortly after that, and was limited to posting at the library and at my parents house two states away, so I don't remember what happened to him.

I do know that I almost gave up posting the first week or two I was here because some of the oldies here kept calling me a liar. I told them if they didn't believe me to ignore me, and I'd do the same to them.

Some people I liked right away. Ela, Tom, Papamoose, Jenny Gardner, CT, Kwisni, Belle, and a few others were great, but I still felt weird posting on a board where half of the people thought I was a fake. I mean, not one of the people who accused me of faking could come up with a single example of me trolling, or being extremely rude, and there was no connection to Otaku that could be proved, so they just cited a "feel" they had about me.

I even got one or two rude e-mails, but I never replied to any of them. I didn't feel like acknowledging them, since they wouldn't do the same for me.

I don't doubt that something felt off about his/her posts, and I did notice some of the posts being rude, but that doesn't prove anything in and of itself. I'm definatly not defending OSC-fan, just pointing out that this forum has been wrong before, and almost lost a true fan (both of OSC and of this site and most of the people on it) because of it.

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
Everybody does mistakes. I've never been taken for someone else, but of course I'm the only French (there was Stephane but he is gone, I think) so I couldn't be mistaken.
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

I know, I've made more than my own share of them. [Big Grin]

My point is that people here, as well as other places, sometimes make snap decisions with little or no proof, and that we should all be careful about doing so. I didn't run in to OSC-fan much, so I didn't see what was being said so I am not defending her/him (whatever...you know what I mean).

The nature of online forums is that it is hard to be sure of peoples claims of identity. I had no problem with people having doubts about my identity. I just thought that they should have given me a chance to show my nature before accusing me of lying.

Still, I was here for the whole Ceidrous (however it's spelled!) event, so I understand where they were coming from and I have a little more sympathy for them now....

Also, not everyone was rude and/or ignored me. I can't possibly name everyone, both for time concerns and for the fear that I'll forget some of the great people who helped me out, but Geoff and Black Fox were also here all the time, and they were among the first to believe me. It was just weird going on parachat (before hatrack chat) and seeing people debate both sides of my reality even when I was lurking.......

So if OSC-fan wasn't being false, all I can say is for her to hang in there and try again, and to not be too obnoxious this time.

Then again, if they were removed by the moderator, then I trust them to have a good reason for doing so. They have helped make this site one of the best on the web, and I hope they continue to do so.

(and I STILL am NOT Otaku!!!)

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Kwea

[ March 10, 2004, 08:36 AM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcarus
Member # 4395

Okay Paul.
Kwea
Member # 2199

[Wall Bash] [Wall Bash] [Wall Bash] [Wall Bash] [Wall Bash] [Wall Bash] [Wall Bash] [Wall Bash]
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I miss Paul. I didn't care for his whole Otaku schtik, but he was actually a pretty nice guy once you got to know him.

I was talking about you, Mike (saxon75), but I phrased it badly; I wasn't trying to say that you were still a newbie, but that you were a good example of someone who ceased to be a newbie within about a week of becoming a member of Hatrack.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Dang it, you took my joke Icarus...

Fie on you! [Smile]

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

Well thank you, Noemon. I would say the same about you, except that I wasn't around when you were new, so I don't know if it's true. [Smile]

----------------

[tangent] I've noticed that I am very inconsistent in how I address people. Sometimes I go with the full screen name, sometimes a shortened version, sometimes the real name, and sometimes a loosely connected pet name. Is that weird? Or annoying? [/tangent]

----------------

OK, so I'm wracking my brain and I don't see the pun. As far as I know, neither Icarus the CFC Jatraquero nor Icarus the son of Daedalus are associated with fish. The only angle I see is a slight similarity between "Ic" and "icthys," which I believe is Greek for "fish." Or is it that fish are icky, i.e. taste bad?

Come on, give a retarded monkey a hand.

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Ichthyic
Ich"thy*ic (?), a. [Gr. , , a fish.] (Zoöl.) Like, or pertaining to, fishes.
Ichthyocol, Ichthyocolla
Ich"thy*o*col (?), Ich`thy*o*col"la (?), n. [L. ichthyocolla, Gr. ; , , a fish + glue: cf. F. ichthyocolle.] Fish glue; isinglass; a glue prepared from the sounds of certain fishes.
Ichthyocoprolite
Ich`thy*o*cop"ro*lite (?), n. [Gr. , , a fish + E. coprolite.] (Geol.) Fossil dung of fishes.
Ichthyodorulite
Ich`thy*o*dor"u*lite (?), n. [Gr. , , a fish + a spear + -lite.] (Zoöl.) One of the spiny plates foundon the back and tail of certain skates.
Ichthyography
Ich`thy*og"ra*phy (?), n. [Gr. , + graphy: cf. F. ichthyographie.] A treatise on fishes.
Ichthyoid, Ichthyoidal
Ich"thy*oid (?), Ich`thy*oid"al (?), a. [Gr. : , , a fish + form.] (Zoöl.) Somewhat like a fish; having some of the characteristics of fishes; -- said of some amphibians.
Ichthyolatry
Ich`thy*ol"a*try (?), n. [Gr. , , a fish + to worship.] Worship of fishes, or of fish-shaped idols. Layard.
Ichthyolite
Ich"thy*o*lite (?), n. [Gr. , , a fish + -lite.] (Paleon.) A fossil fish, or fragment of a fish.
Ichthyologic, Ichthyological
Ich`thy*o*log"ic (?), Ich`thy*o*log"ic*al (?), a. [Cf. F. ichthyologique.] Of or pertaining to ichthyology.
Ichthyologist
Ich`thy*ol"o*gist (?), n. [Cf. F. ichthyologiste.] One versed in, or who studies, ichthyology.
Ichthyology
Ich`thy*ol"o*gy (?), n. [Gr. , , a fish + -logy: cf. F. ichthyologie.] The natural history of fishes; that branch of zoölogy which relates to fishes, including their structure, classification, and habits.

etc.
lcarus
Member # 4395

o_O
saxon75
Member # 4589

So I was on the right track with "ichthys?" Gosh, that seems a little abstract for a pun.
rivka
Member # 4859

*shrug* Not to anyone familiar with the scientific names of fish and/or the study of fish, I guess. Life science geeks. [Big Grin]
Kwea
Member # 2199

[ROFL]
BannaOj
Member # 3206

The O-F saga continues...
http://www.hatrack.com/ubb/forum/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=022226

skillery
Member # 6209

We've got a UBB database problem related to deleted threads. Anna's recent history also points to post zero of the "what the heck" thread.

Edit: (OSCF's profile points to the same post.)

[ March 10, 2004, 04:16 PM: Message edited by: skillery ]

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.