FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » City of Heroes, Hatrack Contingent (Page 0)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: City of Heroes, Hatrack Contingent
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Kwea, can you think of a reason why a door mission initiated by a level 14 character, in a team of six people in which the highest level was 15, would have on average level 17 minions and level 19 bosses?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I think I can. Usually the size of the team factors in as well.

When you get a door mission most of the time the mobs are a level or two higher that you are, which is why I like them. They are great XP for that very reason. The Bosses usually are a level or two higher than the usual mobs, and sometimes even higher if you are a large team.

What level was the mission-holder when he recieved the mission?? Teams can access any mission from any member, but the missons set themselves based on the level that the hero is when he recieved it.

So, if the mission was initiated by a hero that was lev14, then the usual mobs would be lev15-16, 17 if accompanied by a strong team.

Did you reset the mission? You know, kick some members off, all of them except the mission holder and the leader (is they were one and the same, keep one other player on and boot the rest); have the mission holder (or spare) go in and stay in to set the difficulty level to a bit easier, and then have the leader re-invite the other members outside. Since there is a team member inside, he acts as a bookmark of sorts...the mission opens at an easier level, and the hero inside holds it there even as you add team members. That way the mobs are smaller, and sometimes lower leveled. Still good XP, but not instant death...

Also, it is posible to advance too far too fast because of the people you are teaming with. I got 2 Terra Volta missons 2 levels before I could even enter the Zone because I put some really good teams up and finished the missions before I would have been able to do so otherwise. I had a healer friend Thurn who was a level or two higher than I was....and he designs games for a living, specializing in AI, so he is really good at picking missions apart bit by bit. He would team with me and we would almost always suceed...to the point that the missions i was getting were several levels ahead of my actual level. So I would try them with other teams, and we would have a hard time with them....often needind to reset the missions as I told you.

I had 3 missions active, and couldn't even get into the Zone where 2 of them were located. Perhaps this mission had a "bottom level" that it wouldn't go below, and the same thing had happened with that hero..he/she was just too far ahead of the learning curve?

Kwea

[ June 16, 2004, 10:46 AM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Is Perez Park lvl 9 security level?

I ask, because I got a mission to talk to the security chief there, but I am only level 7...

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
The chief will probably give you a "kill 10 Circle of Thorns" mission. In my experience, a lvl 7 hero can survive in a group pretty easily in Perez, although you don't want to wander too far away from the entrance unless somebody in your group has Teleport Friend. Entering Perez at 7th level can be humbling, because almost ALL the mobs will con red or purple to you. You'll still be able to take 'em in a good group, but you might want to consider sidekicking if you need to hunt specific targets.

You do NOT want to solo Perez until you're around level 11.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

No, it isn't...I believe it is now lev7. They raised it from level 6 to level 7 in one of the first patches.

agre with Tom about soloing in PP, but I did it at your level and survived. Not because I'm good, just because I found a trick...

If you just go in and pick on the stuff near the gate, you can run away once you are hurt, and hide in the gate and let the Drones kill off the rest of the mob while you heal. Make sure you hide inside the gate out sight though...I dided a couple of times by skulls shooting me while I stood near the drone.

They fixed it so that you don't get XP from any kill the drone makes (wasn't that way when i did it... [Big Grin] ) but if you pull and run to the gate you can thin out the mobe, and then kill the remainder a few at a time.

You should really make sure you are careful though....PP is tough at your level, even with a team. TP friend is a great tool for recovering bodies to rezz them, so if you are lucky you will find a teammate who has that power. Also, it is hard to get around under the trees, so I would think twice about going into the forest until you level up a few time.

Good Luck!

Kwea

P.S. Stay away from Hydra until you are at least lev10, unless you find someone to SK you up to that. Hydra are GREAT xp, and I hunted them a lot....they are always spawning, and they are actually better xp than the missions are at that level, but the aggro easily and usually are in large mobs. You can look at the map of PP and see a big lake....that is where the Hydra are, and a lot of clocks.

[ June 16, 2004, 11:15 AM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Getting lost in Perez is the big danger, because you can wind up in an area completely unsuited to your level. I fondly remember the time I emerged from the trees, desperately looking for a way back to the Atlas entrance, only to stumble onto the clockwork-infested bandshell and, moments later, the Kraken of Everett Lake. [Smile]
Bokonon
Member # 480

Well I saw a level 25 devouring earth mob in King's Row last night... That surprised me!

I have other missions to do in the newbie areas still, but I knew PP was tough, so I just wanted to check in.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

ouch!

I STILL haven't fought the Kraken, or even seen it yet. I had forgotten about it.

I was on a TF mission, and as we came out of the next to last mission in the series Babbage spawned right on top of me! I watched him appear, and I was the only one out yet......so I threw a Tesla Cage and ran, and the Tesla held him! Only for a few seconds, but still...prewtty cool! Then my team caught up with me and we turned him into a toaster oven... [Big Grin]

Just goes to show that SO's are worth what they charge.....I have 15 of them now. Tesla has 5 slots now, with 2 Acc SO's, adn 3 Hold SO's....and they are worth every penny.

Bok, I still have missions in KR and I'm up to lev24...there are some tough misions there, but usually door missions.

[ June 16, 2004, 11:21 AM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Bokonon
Member # 480

I'm playing again tonight.

Look for Victim X, Illura, The Magi Strayt, or Abom In-Abul.

-Bok

Kwea
Member # 2199

Sorry man, by the time I saw your message last night it was already 11:PM, and I must have missed you. I will put all of your characters names into Logan's Friends list...there isn't any more room in Ranger's list, and he is a bit too far ahead to play with most hatrackers now.

See you on Sunday maybe?

Oh, check out the WMASS picnic thread this Monday...the date will be posted, and i will be making the reservations for the sites this coming week.

Kwea

closeyourmind
Member # 5916

- posted      Profile for closeyourmind   Email closeyourmind         Edit/Delete Post 
Even though this thread has shown up on the first page several times, I just scanned the title and thought it said "City of Herpes, hatrack contingent".

That is all. Slinking back into the shadows of lurkdom.

Posts: 43 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Ok, you're weird.
Kwea
Member # 2199

I am logging on right now, as Rangar...if anyone wants to join Hatrackers United, give me a tell (on Virtue)...

Kwea

ArCHeR
Member # 6616

- posted      Profile for ArCHeR   Email ArCHeR         Edit/Delete Post 
I wish this game would be like guildwars. I love the idea of a MMORPG, especially this one and World of Warcraft, but I just don't like the idea of paying for a game after I bought it.
Posts: 238 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
As for paying for a game after you bought, you have to change your thinking. It isn't like you bought a chess set and then have to pay every time you play chess. It's more like you bought a chess set and now you pay dues in a chess club. (or something)

Anyway, has everyone seen the new features page? When I logged off last night, the game started a download and gave a message that this download was for features that would be active soon but are not active at the moment. The download was so when the features go active there won't be a wait for eveyone to download the new stuff (it's a pretty large download (114 Mb). Anyway the new additions looks pretty cool.

So far, I don't mind this "pay to play" model. The game isn't even 2 months old yet, and already they are adding what looks like a pretty significant expansion. And they aren't charging extra for it. I'm sure it costs a lot to keep a dozen servers running smoothly. I think it's only logical to expect to have to pay something for a service that costs the providers monthly as well. If the money I pay monthly goes partly into cool new development, too, it's even better.

Anyway, I hope some hatrackers break out of the Virtue cage and come join me on Liberty. Joe Medic is lvl 22 now, and he's willing to Sidekick ya.

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ArCHeR
Member # 6616

- posted      Profile for ArCHeR   Email ArCHeR         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just thinking that if Guildwars can do it by only charging for the game, then x-packs, it would be worth it. Their idea is that not everyone wants to pay for added things, and it should be their choice: if they can afford it, they'll buy the x-pack. As for server costs: ESO, Bnet, and MSN Zone all provide free online play, granted, I think MMORPG serves have to be a little better, I can't imagine it being enough to charge subscription.
Posts: 238 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

You can't imagine it?

Just open you eyes...the only MMORPG that doesn't charge (as far as I know) is guildwars, and that is a new venture...we'lll see how it works out in the long run.

As far as only charging for x-packs, that wouldn't work too well the way CoH is set up. The Expansions that are offered aren't just new areas to explore or new character classes (which usually have the same progression ratios). They are open to all in the game, and not being able to access them would not just affect the individual characters but all the players SG's and teammates as well.

I have never played a subscription game before this one, and I was not happy to find out I would have to keep paying to play, but not after playing for almost 2 months I realize the amount of effort it takes to maintain a MMORPHG. It is an immense real-time virtual world, and if something is buggy it affects everyone in that area, so the possibility of screwing it up for a lot of people is alway present, and they are constantly upgrading and tweaking it to give a balanced playability level.

Also, tech support has been pretty good considering the number of people logged in at any given time. They got right back to me, even if they couldn't fix the problem right away.

Kwea

[ June 19, 2004, 02:49 AM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
They (edit: MMORPG servers) have to be a LOT better. Each Everquest "server," last I looked, had something like 50 very high-end Unix machines. It uses Oracle DB to store character information, and has some serious realtime requirements. Everything of relevance is calculated on the server (which helps prevent Diablo-like hacks). That means every swing in combat is calculated for every single player online. At it's peak, EQ had over 100,000 simultaneously; it averaged half that.

Their bandwidth costs alone are huge. Things like MSN Zone aren't actually running the game on the servers, they're more like switchboards relaying information back and forth to each player. Combat calculations are actually run on each player's machine. Big difference, and big reduction in computing power and bandwidth needed.

Dagonee

[ June 18, 2004, 08:10 AM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wonko The Sane
Member # 2945

- posted      Profile for Wonko The Sane   Email Wonko The Sane         Edit/Delete Post 
Any of you guys having lots and lots of mapserver disconnects or lost connection to mapserver?
Posts: 213 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

I'm not -- but if you're playing an energy blaster, there's a known bug with this happening after the use of some powers in a lag situation.
KarlEd
Member # 571

I've had problems, but not every day. And the worst lag I've encountered seems to be on Virtue. That could be because that server seems to carry a heavier load. When I log on, Virtue seems to be yellow, even if all the others are green, and red when most of the others are yellow. I don't have the lag issue nearly as much on Liberty (though it does creep in from time to time.)

Anyone check out the upgrade "coming soon" that I linked to earlier?? Comments?

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

I'm worlds away, level-wise, from benefiting from most of that stuff. But it's nice that they're doing it.
Bokonon
Member # 480

Hey, anyone playing CoH on a dialup system better start downloading the new patch now, since it's 114MB!! You can download a bit now, and then quit it part-way through to play the game, since the patch isn't activated yet.

-Bok

Kwea
Member # 2199

Boy am I glad I got DSL...remember the problems I had with the beta?

Or should I say the problems we had with my beta...right Bok?

I had a lot of mapserver disconnects a month ago, but i contacted support and they worked on it a lot. Now it rarely happens. Although 4 days ago, some other guys on a team I put up had them a lot. First time in a long while i have seen them.

The features for the new update seem really cool.....should be a lot of fun; I can't wait to see the new zones. I wonder if they will ever put the rumored SG vault back in....I think it disrupted gameplay too much so they deliberately left it out. If you could store excess enhancement for you SG members, it would make it too easy to level up, I think, but it was in the Prima guide, and mentioned on the web site.

Kwea

Wonko The Sane
Member # 2945

- posted      Profile for Wonko The Sane   Email Wonko The Sane         Edit/Delete Post 
can you post a link or something to the patch?

*edit* nevermind i figured it out

[ June 19, 2004, 05:03 AM: Message edited by: Wonko The Sane ]

Posts: 213 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
wonky?

can I aks you a qeuestion?

fillow

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wonko The Sane
Member # 2945

sure i guess
fallow
Member # 6268

what's a city of hat(wearing?) contingents?
Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

I'll be on tommorrow night, probably after 10 again.
Kwea
Member # 2199

Anyone gonna be on tonight? Around 10 pm?
Kwea
Member # 2199

Guess not...lol
fallow
Member # 6268

how come my questions rarely get answered?

fallow

Bokonon
Member # 480

I was on last night, sorry I missed you Kwea.

Here is my new lineup on Virtue:

*Victim X (level 7/8 Natural MA/Regen Scrapper)
*Illura (level 5 Science Ill/Kin Controller)
SolEssence (level 2/3 Mutant Fire/Fire Blaster)
Abom In-Abul (level 6 Mutant Stone/Ice Tanker)
*(The) Magi Strayt (level 4/5 Magic Energy/Ice Blaster)
Skizm (level 4/5 Technology Emp/Dark Defender)

* These are my more commonly played characters, then I play Abom, Skizm, Sol, in that order.

I don't know when my next session will be, but I'll bump the thread when it happens.

-Bok

Bokonon
Member # 480

I'm heading in as Abom In-Abul.

Just an FYI.

-Bok

UPDATE: I'm actually going to play The Magi Strayt or Illura.

[ June 22, 2004, 10:27 PM: Message edited by: Bokonon ]

Kwea
Member # 2199

I took 2 weeks off for vacation, and now all the people i play with regularly are way ahead of me, and going into all the zones I can't get into...

Damn new zones too....lev 33 for one of them...

Well, since no one has bothered to let me know what is up [Wink] , I am going to start playing Logan again, and leveling her up. i had been holding her back to play with Hatrackers who didn't play as often, but I have only done that once or twice so screw it.

I can always make another, right? [Evil]

Kwea

Kwea
Member # 2199

So, if everyone still playing? I need a new card, and am planning to buy it tommorrow.

[ August 03, 2004, 10:14 PM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Kwea
Member # 2199

Forget I said that.

Please.

[Big Grin]

Kwea
Member # 2199

OK...I am back, but having connection issues again.

It is almost like I never left... [Big Grin]

I don;t know if it is a problem because I had to reactivate my account, or if it is a CoH problem.
Also, my DSL is spotty today for some reason.

Is anyone else having a problem?

Kwea

Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
I recently purchased this game. Having fun so far.

Anyone still play? I'd love to hang out with some hatrackers...

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

I tend to log on on weekend mornings (EDT), on Guardian server. Look for Illura, Abom In-Abul, or Electrostasis.

-Bok

SmoG
Member # 7778

- posted      Profile for SmoG   Email SmoG         Edit/Delete Post 
I play on Champion, have a couple of toons, 38 tanker, 23 blaser, 16 scrapper and a 5 defender. I quit for a bit to play WoW but was terribly dissapointed with it, so am going back to CoH....
Posts: 31 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

I'm on Freedom. I mostly play either "Figmint" or "Joe Medic". I also have "GlamazonWarrior", "Joe Blaze" and "Fyrre". I'm on a few times a week, mostly in the evenings EST.
Bokonon
Member # 480

We should really consolidate and form a supergroup somewhere... Maybe a server none of us are on?

-Bok

Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been playing CoH for rather longer than I've been on hatrack. I'm on Liberty and Guardian. I also constantly come up with new character ideas, so would have no problem making a hero on someone else's server if you want to play.

The new Global chat system is great for getting ahold of people across servers. My global handle is @ReactorRod

--Enigmatic
37 rad/rad defender
32 grav/kin controller
26 dark/SR scrapper
24 invuln/ice tanker
18 engy/engy blaster
6 stone/mace tanker
5 storm/dark defender

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay guys, we REALLY need to form a supergroup. Oh the fun we could have!

I have a character at level 6 on infinity I am really liking, but I would totally be willing to start fresh on another server.

Right now I am playing a Grav/FF Controller and she is so much fun to play with [Smile] .

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe the minimum level to form a SG is 10. Xavier, if you want to level up and form the SG on Infinity, I'd make a character there and join. (Most of my higher-ups are already in a SG.) Otherwise, if we want to have fresh characters for the Hatrack SG on some other server, somebody pick one, tell me, and I can have a character up to 10 by friday.

Any thoughts on SG colors, symbol? I think all of our heroes should wear hats.

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SmoG
Member # 7778

- posted      Profile for SmoG   Email SmoG         Edit/Delete Post 
I have often thought about making an Ender's Game themed sg, talked with some friends about it too. I would like to do it.... what I've thought is named either Battle School or Dragon Army, with ranks being Soldier, Toon Leader, and Commander. I don't think that you have to be level 10 anymore..... maybe you do, but whatever. Let me just suggest that it be on Virtue..... and The Names "Crazy Tom"(Controller) and "Hot Soup"(Blaster), if not taken, are taken [Razz]
Posts: 31 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
We've tried this before and it never did take off. There are too few of us and our schedules are too different.
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

I could do it, as long as it isn't on Virtue...I already am on that one. Almost all my slots are taken there. If we do it on Virtue, I do have a level 10 cahracter I had been saving since the first Hatracker SG..Logan is STILL only level 10 or 11, as I wasn't playign her unless it was with hatrackers.... [Big Grin]

I don't care, just pick a server.

[ May 03, 2005, 06:36 PM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Kwea
Member # 2199

BtL started a new thread about this, FYI.
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.