FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » City of Heroes, Hatrack Contingent (Page 3)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: City of Heroes, Hatrack Contingent
The Wiggin
Member # 5020

- posted      Profile for The Wiggin           Edit/Delete Post 
but what connection speed you get? The best this comp has seen in a while is 32k on a 56 modem. well hopefuly soon ill be on DSL or Cable and it wont mater.
Posts: 397 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wonko The Sane
Member # 2945

- posted      Profile for Wonko The Sane   Email Wonko The Sane         Edit/Delete Post 
usually around 28.8 on a 56k modem

[ May 16, 2004, 05:51 AM: Message edited by: Wonko The Sane ]

Posts: 213 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Wiggin
Member # 5020

- posted      Profile for The Wiggin           Edit/Delete Post 
I defintly need to get this then. Now the question is do I try to convinve my mom to let me put it on her computer for now or build mine first?
Posts: 397 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I have two main characters on Virtue server. My best is Rangar, a lev 15 Mutant Blaster. I also have a lev 5 Defender I'm working on, named Logan Lyeandar.

Karl, sounds like you play it quite often! Two characters in their early teens? Not bad....

I moght set up a charcter on that server, if so I'll let you know. I might try for a Empathy healer with Mezz too. Or maybe a Tanker, I haven't played much of them yet.

Probably the healer, as it is ALWAYS easy to find a team as one.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Well, Rangar is out of debt, and lev 15 now...I'm getting there, slowly but surely....
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wonko The Sane
Member # 2945

- posted      Profile for Wonko The Sane   Email Wonko The Sane         Edit/Delete Post 
any of you started/joined a supergroup?
Posts: 213 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wonko The Sane
Member # 2945

they all must be playing
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
There is Hatrackers United, talk to Kwea (Rangar) or Quiescence (me), if you see us online. I'm not sure I have add member privileges though.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wonko The Sane
Member # 2945

what times are either of you on the most?
Bokonon
Member # 480

I'll be on with a new character on Virtue in a half hour or so. [Smile]

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
No, not Virtue! Liberty! Virtue sucks!

Pun intended.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

I have 4 characters now on Virtue (sorry Tom, I don't want to restart, plus more of us are on Virtue [Razz] ), all low level:

Quiescence (Level 5) (energy/electricity magic blaster)
The Random Hottie (Level 5) (illusion/kinetics science controller)
Abom In-Abul (Level 6) (Stone Atmor/Ice Melee mutant tanker)
Victim X (Level 3) (Martial Arts/Regeneration natural scrapper)

Now, I just need a technology Defender, and I'll be set [Smile] Feel free to add all these characters to your friends list.

-Bok

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
The problem I have with Virtue is that, whenever I connect, I get medium to heavy load on it CONSISTENTLY. [Frown]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

I see medium load on all the servers whenever I'm playing, so it doesn't matter to me. But I, personally, have had very little lag on Virtue. Just one night last week where I lost conn. to map server 2 times.

-Bok

Kwea
Member # 2199

Bok, I talked to Support, and they are working on the mapserver problem. As a matter of fact, they are using me as a test subject for their ideas. So far they keep trying to teel me it's my fault, or my connections fault, but all their efforts aren't working.

I got DSL hooked up last night, but to tell the truth I don't see a whole lot of difference in-game with DSL. DSL rocks with downloads, and I love it, but CoH is pretty good even on a dial-up connection, which is amazing.

Tom, I like Virtue better, and have 4 characters there, all of them lev2-5, except for Rangar of course. He's up to lev 16 (almost17), so I probably wouldn't use him with this group. Most of us play on Virtue all the time, and even with a heavy load I don't have a lot of lag. If there are too many people in Perez Park, it just makes a PerezPark 2, so we never run out of villans either.

I might start a Controller, probably a Mezzz/Healer. I also rock with Blasters, and am pretty good at pulling with ranged attacks. I'll stay away for melee characters, unless we need some, as I have very little experience with them. My best one (Crope) is only lev 3.

When do you all want to get together? Nights are good for me, and I'm off this Wed night....

Kwea

Kwea

Bokonon
Member # 480

I'm probably going to be on late tonight for an hour or two, after 11pm. No promises, but that's my hope.

-Bok

Kwea
Member # 2199

OK Bok, look for Rangar and tell me if your on......

I can use logan, who is lev 5, a def....of if you like, I can SK you again, if you have worked on your heroes at all. Hell, I'll team w/ you without sk you, and beat up on low levels just to help you advance....lol

Kwea

Bokonon
Member # 480

I might make a defender tonight, so that I have one of each archetype/origin.

It's just to much fun to create a character in this game.

-Bok

Alexa
Member # 6285

- posted      Profile for Alexa           Edit/Delete Post 
what is the learning curve on this game? Is it worth the monthly fee?
Posts: 1034 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

Learning curve: Depends. Kwea got right into it, and it probably isn't too bad if you are a gamer (particularly if you are familiar with FPS and RPG gameplay styles). The game is very forgiving, particularly at the early levels, so you can spend your first few hours just blowing up stuff and discovering things.

Value: I think it is worth it.

-Bok

Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
So... you just run around on a map with several hundred (thousand?) other people and beat up thugs?

I dunno...

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

Well, there is a story arc, and you can team up with others to help their stories, or your own, or just to clean up the streets... The combat is like turn-based fighting, you have powers that take a certain time to recharge, and they also have varying damage and other effects (stunning, freezing, slowing, knocking back, poisoning of time, etc.).

Not for everyone, but it's fun to me.

-Bok

Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just trying to decide if it's something I want to buy. I require some sense of direction when I play games, I wouldn't be able to stand "beat people up and get more powers." It can be *mostly* that though, with just quests to provide an excuse for the beat downs.

And is the screen always jammed with a hundred other players? I've never played a MMoRPG before, but I've played enough online games to know that the problem with multiplayer is that you have to play them with other people. But I think if you hook up with a team and get your own section of the city it would be a lot of fun.

Dunno. Maybe I'll get it. I'm just looking for some game to fill a few hours a week that would be otherwise spent watching TV. TV is getting boring. How much is the monthly fee?

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

15 bucks a month, after the first month (which is included in the box price).

The only times there are TONS of other characters around is near the trainers (people who sell some stuff, or level you up). After that, you will usually cross paths with someone, but that's it. And with your missions, the game often creates them in "instanced" areas, which only you (and anyone on a team with you) can enter. No morons causing problems.

-Bok

KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Gotta jump in to say that I like the game a lot. As for value, I get more out of my $15/month on this game that I am getting out of my $60/mo. cable bill.

"Beat stuff up and get powers" does sum up a lot of the game. For me, so far, the story arc consists mostly of meeting contacts who tell you where and what kind of stuff to beat up. There is some "find this item" or "Take this message to this person" type stuff, too. What I like about the game is the complexity of the cities. The architecture is fantastic and vast. You can literally get lost in most sections of the city if you don't use your map. The detail is really good, and coupled with the near infinite camera positions and angles possible to view your surrounding, it amazes me that there aren't more problems with lag. (Personally, I haven't experience any lag, but I have a cable modem. Chris has experienced some, but he is wirelessly connected to the same cable modem and has had lag issue when I haven't so I can't blame those on the CoH servers.)

[ May 21, 2004, 04:03 PM: Message edited by: KarlEd ]

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

Cool. I'll probably pick it up after work. I just got a raise and I'm keening to spend some money [Razz]

Is Virtue the place to be?

Bokonon
Member # 480

I would add that there are tons of nifty little things about the game.

For instance, random spawns of bad guys happen in all MMORPGs. In CoH, though, the game makes them consistent with the game setting and location. So sometimes you'll see a bunch of thugs trying to grab a purse from an NPC citizen, or tryign to steal car wheels. At night, in some sections of town, you'll find that on the roofs of buildings certain mystical groups are preparing dark magical rituals on a poor NPC as well. And they all make different comments that hint at their motivationsm and adds color to the game.

Karl, you aren't on Virtue right?

-Bok

EDIT: I should add that this is the first computer game that really utilizes the z-axis as a strategic option. In other words, yes, you can fly. [Smile]

[ May 21, 2004, 04:08 PM: Message edited by: Bokonon ]

Bokonon
Member # 480

I'm logging in in about 5 minutes, I'll probably be logged in as Victim X.

-Bok

Kwea
Member # 2199

In in, on Virtue. See you there.

Kwea

Bokonon
Member # 480

BtL, Kwea and I are in Atlas Park 2, on Virtue, /tell Victim X, Crope, or Dr. G to find where we are.

Karl, I'm lookign at you here [Smile]

-Bok

Kwea
Member # 2199

Yeah Karl, whatsamatterwithyou??

See you on Virtue, whenyou catch up to us.....if you ever do. (any day now....) lol

Kwea

Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

Dr. G is the way to be.

*crosses arms*

That was a good time guys. I think I'll save this character for times when that little group is together. It's the most fun when we're all at roughly the same level.

KarlEd
Member # 571

Dang it. I have a lvl 8, 10, and 16 character on Freedom. I just started a character and got it to lvl 3 on Liberty.

I don't have anything on Virtue yet [Frown]

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Karl, you should start one on Virtue. We could use another Tanker, or a healer/mezzer Controller.

Or a Force Field Def...hell, there are only 4 of us, another Blaster would even be good. Ice, or fire, as I have a lightning one...

I am willing to help you level up quick if you want...I'll use my lev 17 Balster to tank some small fry for you if you want. With 300+ health they can't really hurt me, and you deal all the damage; it works pretty well. I can also put you in my Supergroup, Hatrackers United ( [Big Grin] ), and give you some good enhancements.

Let me know, I'm either Rangar (lev17 Blaster), or Logan Lyendar (lev5 DEf), on Virtue.

Kwea

Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

Logan and Dr. G had another productive romp through Hero City tonight. Baddies were beaten, faces were stomped and general revelry was found in the suffering of randomly generated computer-dudes.

You know you're all jealous.

Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

Well, as is my usual I've absolutely played the snot out of this game this weekend. Like others have said, the best part is making new characters. Anyway, like Bok all of mine are on Virtue. Should anyone want to add them they are:

Dr. G: Science Gravity/Storm Controller (lvl 7. He's the Hatrackers United guy)
Factor XIII: Mutant Claws/Agility Scrapper (Level 10. She's a member of the Super group Chaos)
The Sun's Lament: Magic Dark/Dark Defender (Level 5)
Juxtaposed: Technology Fire/Ice Blaster (Level 2)
Velvet T: Natural Fire/Axe Tanker (Level 2)

Kwea
Member # 2199

Damn BtL, a level 10 already? Not too shabby! Having a Supergroup helps, huh?

KarlEd, waht are you waiting for? I personalized invitation?

Well, consider this one..... [Big Grin]

Kwea

Bokonon
Member # 480

BtL, you joined a different supergroup than H.U.?? For shame, sir, for shame.

[Wink]

-Bok

Alexa
Member # 6285

What video card do you need for the game? WHat card do you have?
Posts: 1034 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

You need one within the last 4 or so years, and preferably not an on-board card. I have a ATI 9700 Pro, but ATI cards seem to be flakey for a lot of people, so a GeForce of some kind would probably work just fine.

-Bok

Alexa
Member # 6285

I have an nvidia Gforce3 t200. Do you think that can handle the game? My computer is an intel 2.0gz with 758 ram.
KarlEd
Member # 571

OK, I've finally done it. Chris and I have created characters on Virtue. Mine is "Victor Steele", a 7th level tank. Chris has a 7th level controler named "Ices".

We'll probably be on some time tonight. (Post 5pm EDT)

KarlEd
Member # 571

The minimum requirements for the game are a GForce 2. Chris has a Gforce 4 and has no problems whatsoever. I imagine a 3 will do fine.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

I don't think it counts as having "created" a character if that character is 7th level. [Smile]
Bokonon
Member # 480

So Tom, when can we expect you on Virtue consistently? [Smile]

I've recreated Random Hottie as "Illura" now. I also have a Tech Defender, Schizm, But I don't like the look, completely... But if other people like her, I'll keep it. She's an Empathy/Dark Energy Defender, level 4.

-Bok

[ May 24, 2004, 12:12 PM: Message edited by: Bokonon ]

KarlEd
Member # 571

quote:
I don't think it counts as having "created" a character if that character is 7th level.
Oh, for Chris and me it does. We got them that far in the first sitting. [Big Grin]
Toes
Member # 4603

- posted      Profile for Toes   Email Toes         Edit/Delete Post 
My brother and I just got CoH recently. I have a level 9 mostly Dark Miasma character called Zayn and a level 6 Healer called Beatha.
Posts: 84 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

Toes, what server?

-Bok

KarlEd
Member # 571

I'm logging on right now on Virtue as Victor Steele. Look for me if you're on.

Karl

Toes
Member # 4603

- posted      Profile for Toes   Email Toes         Edit/Delete Post 
I usually play on the first one...what is that Protector? I'm not quite sure. I'll have to check.
Posts: 84 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.