FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » City of Heroes, Hatrack Contingent (Page 2)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: City of Heroes, Hatrack Contingent
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Just for the double whammy, I was in Amherst this weekend, and probably could have found a way (or it certainly would have been easier for us to meet somewhere in Amherst). Sorry you had no luck though! I would recommend getting a macro program that will let you click on something in AOL to keep your connection alive.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Bok: Could you make me a copy of the beta? I really want to play it, but I'm not going to wait 42 hours for it to download!

My friend Jack has hi-speed, but I don't know when he will be able to burn me a copy of it, and I really do want to try it now.

And I think I'll see you later tonight, in Boston... [Smile]

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

I don't know if I'm meeting up in Boston tonight (stupid work). But I have the CD burnt and in my car. So hopefully it will all work out.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Thaks a lot, even if we don't meet up! I hope you will be able to meet up with us later, even if you can't make dinner.

Mack and Bob have mentioned possibly going to a pub for music, or something; as long as it doesn't turn into a late night.

See you tonight, or on-line later....

Oh, and check out the west/mass picnic site, you don't live THAT far away...if I can come in to Boston for one night, then you should be able to make a day of it this summer, right?

[Big Grin]

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Bok: I am trying to load the disk you gave me, but I am having a problem...go figure, right?

I loaded it to my doc's, but when I run it the game says it can't load me in because I have the wrong game version. I tried to run the patch I had, but it just starts loading the game from the point it stopped.....42 hrs left, and counting.

Any idea how I can get this up and running before the wipe on the 22nd? I want to try this game out, but I seem to be fubar every time I try...

Thanks,

Kwea

Bokonon
Member # 480

Copy the coh directory with the patcher to your c:\ root directory.

Copy everything else (and create an empty logs folder) to 'C:\Program Files\City of Heroes'. Include the spaces.

-Bok

Kwea
Member # 2199

??????

I'm sorry, did I mention I don't know jack about computers?
Where is my root directory? What do i copy, and where do I put it?(lol)

Kwea

Bokonon
Member # 480

Your root directory is your c: drive.

-Bok

EDIT: You have a coh\ folder that holds a bunch of stuff, as well as another coh\ under that.

Wait, lets back up, first, copy everything of the CD to your c: drive (open up my computer, and your CD drive, click and drag the coh folder to your c: drive.

[ April 17, 2004, 12:58 AM: Message edited by: Bokonon ]

Kwea
Member # 2199

Ok, I'm doing that right now....thanks for the help, BTW....
Kwea
Member # 2199

Well, it's said 10 sec remaining for 4 min now; I think its' stuck...
Bokonon
Member # 480

No, windows is just a bad guesser.

-Bok

Kwea
Member # 2199

OK, it stopped....now what?
Kwea
Member # 2199

wouldn't this be easier if we were IMing each other? My IM screename is KweaSr....what's yours?
Kwea
Member # 2199

Ok, for the record....IT WASN'T MY FAULT!!!

Bok tried to help, and despite the fact that I was clueless, we managed to try every idea he had, to no avail....

Betas sure suck....or so I assume, as I never got in to this one at all... [Mad]

Hey Bok: Could I e-mail the CoH programmers through the CoH board and ask them for a fix? I didn't want to do it without asking, because I didn't know if you were allowed to copy the beta, and I didn't want you to get in trouble...not that they could trace it to you, but...

I did buy my own copy of it, and O have my own beta login, so it might be worth a try, don't you think?

Kwea

Bokonon
Member # 480

There's nothing to fix. Others tried to get them to send CDs, but they refused. Downloading is the only way. The issue is that the updater looks into the Windows Registry (configuration database I told you about) and doesn't see any version of CoH (which it won't since you haven't actually done a proper install). Thus, it starts a fresh download.

Honestly, I'd try downloading from a different service than AOL, try a free trial at earthlink or netzero, and hope it only takes 7-9 hours (overnight).

-Bok

Bokonon
Member # 480

Oh wait, I see what you are saying. I don't think they could add the registry settings. Even if they could, they probably wouldn't, even if you showed you were a beta tester.

-Bok

Kwea
Member # 2199

Ok, well I guess I am shit out of luck....I'll look into the free trial thing....the CoH site said "downloading could take as long as 2 hours.).....yeah, right....

I am either getting DSL or Cable next month, I am still looking into it. My friend Jack has the local DSL for Verizon and he loves it, but cable is only $5 more a month....

Thanks for all your help, even though it didn't work out. I will get the game when it comes out, and go from there. I am looking forward to playing it, and meeting up with you there.

Kwea

Bokonon
Member # 480

So I'm in game right now. Look for Quiescence on Virtue. The 3 day headstart for beta folks is on. The game is open to the public this wednesday. It's a lot of fun, and you can play an hour or two at a time and accomplish something.

I'd like to start an RP-lite Hatrack group if possible. Let me know who is interested!

-Bok

Kwea
Member # 2199

I'll buy my copy tomorrow, Bok. I never got into the game, but they have a record of me in their system as buying the beta, so I'll give it a try.

I'll post tomorrow evening, after dinner. Maybe we could play then, if the Best Buy in my area has it....as of Sat they didn't, and they said to wait until this coming weekend...

Kwea

Kwea
Member # 2199

OK, I have my copy now, and I am going to buy a time card for this month, so I will be able to play soon. Anyone else? What server should I play on?

Kwea

Bokonon
Member # 480

You don't need a time card for the first month, Kwea.

I'll be getting my copy today hopefully (maybe tomorrow), so I hope to see you (and anyone else!) in game!

-Bok

Kwea
Member # 2199

Oh....I feel silly, because I was sooooo disapointed last night when I got home and realized that I didn't but a card that I didn't even install the game....lol...

Well, I'm going into the game right now, so IM me if you got it today...

See you there, (maybe...I still think I'll manage to screw it up somehow.... [Blushing] )

Kwea

Kwea
Member # 2199

Hey Bok, when using a pre-pay card (instead of a credit card) you DO have to buy it first...you get the 1st month free, but not until you purchase the card and use it on your account!

Good thing I have one, or I would probably be breaking this game disk into tiny, tiny pieces by now..... [Mad]

Edit:----------------------------------------
Well, about breaking it into tiny, tiny peices...

I can't get on to the goddamn server. I am beyond pissed off.I have waisted too much time on this already, and I haven't played a damn second of it yet!!!!!!

The login server is down, but there is nothing about it on the boards, and when I click the "server status" button, IT says that all the servers are up and running.....BUT I STILL CAN'T GET ON!!!!!!

[ May 01, 2004, 06:37 PM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Kwea
Member # 2199

OK, I'm on (I think)....I'll be on Liberty server tonight, for a little while....IM me if you need to find me.

I'll edit this post once I figure out what type of Hero I'm playing, and decide on a name...I'll probably stick with Kwea, just to keep things single...

Kwea

Bokonon
Member # 480

Well, I'm on virtue, and had no issues tonight. I'm Quiescence. I'll switch over to Liberty, but what type of player are you playing, so I don't duplicate archetype.

Hopefully I'll play a little tomorrow.

-Bok

Kwea
Member # 2199

Bok: I created a character on Virtue as well, and went looking for you, but you had just left. I left a e-mail for you in-game...look for it tommorrow.

I think we should coordenate with each other, and start new characters, unless the ones we have now happen to be compatable.
Logan (on Virtue) is at level four, and she is a Magic based Defender/Lightning/Psycic. I have a few defence enhancements that I can't use...they're yours if it helps at all. I am just short of level 5, I think, and I think at 5 I get to pick another distance-based attack, probably lightning bolt.

On Liberty I have Hoarfrost, a Magic based Blaster/Ice/Kinitic. He is still in training mode, so he is only at level 2 or so.

I think you said Quisencence is a Tanker, right? That would make a pretty good mix, I think. I have some healing powers (a power drain and a siphon) as well as an enhanced lightning attack, so we might be able to work with what we have. Now we need either a Scrapper or an empath to team with us, and we would have a pretty good base of abilities to build on.

Rat Named Dog, where are you when we are in our time of need.... [Big Grin]

Kwea

[ May 02, 2004, 07:56 AM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm currently a low-level Tanker with Super-Strength and Invulnerability, called "Cap'n Obvious."
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

TomD, on which server?
Kwea
Member # 2199

Ok, I just made a Blaster/mutant/lightning/lightning manipulation character, just to have some offensive punch on Virtue. His name is Rangar, and he is now at level 5 or so.

I think I'll make a controller next, but I think she'll only be good in a group of three or more. Controllers can made enimies fight each other, but they don't get experience for any kills that way.

Any ideas on what to make next? I am open for suggestions.

Very cool game...I have very little problems since they got back to me and fixed their server. I am on a dial up AOL connection, but I notice very few gliches or lag problems.

See you tonight, maybe...

Kwea

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Cap'n Obvious is currently a level 4 tanker on Liberty.

(As a side note, how does one move characters between servers, if possible?)

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

Lets start on Liberty. Tom has a Tanker there, you have a defender, right?

Maybe I'll make a scrapper or controller. I have a controller character idea named "Random Hottie", a psychic/psychic (I think) controller who is belittled because she happens to look good in skin-tight superhero costumes.

-Bok

EDIT: There is no way currently Tom, and if there will be, expect it to cost 5-10 bucks

[ May 02, 2004, 03:16 PM: Message edited by: Bokonon ]

Kwea
Member # 2199

Tom: Bok and I are on Virtue right now...I'm Rangar, and he is Quiescence (I think), both blasters.

We could use a Scrapper or Tanker, or even a good controler....ro a bad one....doesn't really matter.....see you there! (if not tonight, then sometime. I have a defender, Logan Lyendar, on Liberty....)

Kwea

TomDavidson
Member # 124

Hm. I'm contemplating making a Controller called Mindsweeper. If I do, and if I don't absolutely hate it, I'll be on Virtue.
Kwea
Member # 2199

Tom, I'm going on to Virtue right now, for an hour or so. It's 7:PM EST, on Monday.

My two characters are Logan Lyeander, a lev3 Defender, and Rangar, a lev6 Blaster. Rangar has teleport friend now, so it will be easier to team up with people....we won't have to chase each other all over the city.

Bok: I have Teleport Friend now, and I found a really good spawning point for us to level up in next time. The Park in the SE corner of Galaxy city; but be careful, there are some really strong villains in there; I died 4 times before finding the trick...

Next power-up you have, maybe you should consider Fly as a pool power.Between Fly and Teleport, a lot of our problems evaporate, don't you think?

Kwea

[ May 03, 2004, 07:22 PM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay, I'm on Virtue, too! Got a 12th-level Blaster named Broodling. Look me up!
Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Rat, I saw you in there, but when I tried to contact you you had just left. My Blaster Rangar is now SL7, but is almost up to 8. Lok me up if you can...I'm usually on latenight, EST...

Kwea

Kwea
Member # 2199

I'm going on Virtue until about 10 this morning, if anyone is in as well...I'll be Rangar.

Kwea

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
This made me laugh this morning, and I though y'all might appreciate it.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
I tried out the Sidekick feature this morning, and it rocked! I'm level 13, and my buddy is level 5. So it bumped him up to 12 temporarily so we could fight the same guys. It was awesome!
Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

What, we aren't your buddies Geoff?

*sniff*

-Bok

A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

Hey, I've hung with Kwea a bit. Can't help it if the rest of you are on at the wrong times [Smile]
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

I've even made a character CALLED "A Rat Named Dog" so you all can recognize me more easily [Smile] Of course, I never play him ...
The Wiggin
Member # 5020

- posted      Profile for The Wiggin           Edit/Delete Post 
How much is the game and how big is it casue I might try it out the only problem might be that right now I live in the middle of no where and am forced to use DIal-up and my best connection I get uselly is 28.8K with a 56K modem(@#$% dial-up)and tonight the magic number is 26.4K.
Posts: 397 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

Talk to Kwea, he hasn't hads too many problems with the game on his dial-up; but then, we haven't had a patch to the game yet either.

-Bok

Kwea
Member # 2199

I am on dial-up AOL, (it's free for another 3 weeks,) and I do get lag, but not too bad. I play in teams too, and it works fairly well.

This game rocks!

My blaster is lev11, almost 12 now.....damn exp debt.... [Big Grin]

[ May 07, 2004, 11:14 AM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Kwea
Member # 2199

Anyone playing now? I'm using Rangar, on virtue server...
Wonko The Sane
Member # 2945

- posted      Profile for Wonko The Sane   Email Wonko The Sane         Edit/Delete Post 
thinking about buying it,So it does ok on dialup?
Posts: 213 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

Kwea plays it with no real problem... How was the patch download Kwea?

I should be playing for a good chunk of the evening, probably as Abom In-Abul, A mutant tanker.

-Bok

KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
I have two characters on Freedom:

Hank Blaze: a (currently) 11th level blaster.

Joe Blaze: a (currently) 10th level tanker.

I'm thinking of starting a character on Virtue, but haven't felt like starting over just yet.

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wonko The Sane
Member # 2945

- posted      Profile for Wonko The Sane   Email Wonko The Sane         Edit/Delete Post 
I bought it and it works pretty good on dialup
Posts: 213 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.