FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » KamaCon.... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: KamaCon....
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Anna, I completely agree. You take care of the accomodations, and other people will do the rest.

Annie gets art museum! Whatever adult who wants to go to the Cubs game whose username has the most letters in it get the game!

I'll arrange for a microphone, and if anyone sings twist and shout in the street, they will have my eternal adulation.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the whole "herding cats" analogy comes into play here. [Smile]

What we PARTICULARLY need to know -- at this very moment -- is what kind of outside trips people intend to be taking. Are visitors to Chicago going to hit museums? The Mile? A Cubs game? Ethnic neighborhoods? The beach?

Things we do in the hotel aren't as necessary to schedule in advance, as they don't really affect our choice of location -- or timeframe -- as much.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm thinking about going. I'd be a lot more likely to if I had someone to ride down with me, share gas money. If it was just me coming from Minneapolis I would be trying to fly, but with two of us it would probably be cheaper to drive. If we end up with one of those sleeps-6 suites, that would be nice, too.

I'd also be more likely to go if it wasn't my birthday. [Razz] Of course, I suppose I could consider it a fun birthday trip! But it would break my tradition of going to the 510 for my birthday. [Frown]

Anyway, you can mark me down as undecided. But Ryuko, I'm looking forward to meeting you next week! And we've got some time to figure it out, especially if we drive.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
We could do your 510 B-day dinner early. (Like maybe on whichever day that Bob and I come up to MN earlier that week? [Wink] )
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Ryuko and ElJay are meeting???!!! Next Week???!!!

Nothing either of you say to each other about me is true! Just wanted to get that straight.

Ryuko, would it help your parents to know that I'll be there? Or would that hurt the case? I mean, your mom and I are practically related. We know all the same movies and bands and hated the same politicians. If that's not a demonstration of trustworthiness, I don't know what is?

CT, please e-mail me details on how to do the Kama-thon donation thing. [Big Grin]

I don't care where our hotel is, I intend to get in at least one trip to Chicago proper for museums. I must see the giant allosaurus bones (Lucy, right?) and make puns. And there's the "Chee-burger, Chee-burger" place to go to too.

Deep dish pizza anyone?

Cubs game? Sure thing.

But most of all, I get to be with Dana for a few extra days, so whatever happens I'll be in heaven!

[Kiss]

(okay, that was just to show people what it'll be like to be near us. You've been warned.)

[Big Grin]

[Razz]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BYuCnslr
Member # 1857

- posted      Profile for BYuCnslr   Email BYuCnslr         Edit/Delete Post 
The art institute is open for free on Tuesdays, Becky, Jeni, and I are planning on flying our nice big kites....
Satyagraha

Posts: 1986 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh! I have a pocket kite. Kite in a bag, actually. It's a lot of fun.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BYuCnslr
Member # 1857

- posted      Profile for BYuCnslr   Email BYuCnslr         Edit/Delete Post 
More Kites the better!
Satyagraha

Posts: 1986 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

- posted      Profile for CalvinMaker   Email CalvinMaker         Edit/Delete Post 
Do we have a list of people yet who are going for sure, most likely going, maybe going, etc.?

And I could find out when and where Swing Dancing is, and organize a trip to there one night, if anyone is interested.

Posts: 1934 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I am SO on for a cubs game.

And the Giant Kites.

And we should all fence again!

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
I am most likely going, 'cuz I've never been to Chicago. I'd like an order of museums, a Sears tower visit, some authentic deep dish Chicago style pizza, an evening of live jazz/funk/rock music, a tour of the city and a Cubs game for dessert. No kite flying for me; I've been to Kansas and I know what wind is.
Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
Oooo, jazz!
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Ooooh! Swing dancing! I haven't gone swing dancing in forever! And ethnic neighborhoods... and museums... this is sounding awfully appealing!

Bob, I can't imagine what Ryuko and I could tell each other that you'd object too... *blinkblink*

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I'm falling increasingly into the maybe going thing. I just don't see being unencumbered by children for very much of the time, though it seems there must be other people who will be in a similar situation. Maybe we can do tag team nursery duty. I also may just do one day, driving in and then moving along. It's pretty safe to say that I wouldn't be needing a hotel room, though I'd want to chip in on the conference room. I know it' frustrating, but trust me I wish I did know what I could expect to be doing in 4 months.

[ April 12, 2004, 11:23 PM: Message edited by: pooka ]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
If I do end up being able to go, I'd be happy to take up nursery duty for a few hours if anyone needs it!
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
OK if we are in the flight path to Ohare airport... kites are probably going to be a bad idea, considering that the planes practically scrape the power lines....

You are talking to someone who loves kite flying though. If we did it along the lakefront it be a different story!

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, here's the deal:

How many people who're going are like Jonny? Because what he's got planned for downtown -- a meal, a lakefront walk, visits to all the major museums, a Cubs game, and some blues music after nightfall -- is a weekend. Seriously.

I mean, even taking Museum Row at a dead run -- and stepping into the Art Institute with your eyes closed and stepping right back out -- you're looking at losing four hours. A Cubs game will eat at least three (and probably four) hours. A blues show will eat around two and a half. Just walking the Mile or the lakefront takes about an hour, even if you don't stop indoors anywhere.

It's possible to do all these things, but I don't think it'd be possible to do them all AND socialize with other Hatrackers (unless a number of them came along). And, quite frankly, I think it'd make very little sense to try to do them from Skokie.

So how many people here are leaning towards Jonny's approach? And how many are just planning to hang out in the hotel? We need to figure out what the tone is going to be.

[ April 13, 2004, 09:19 AM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
1. Tom is correct.

2. I'd be delighted to do nursery duty. Just give me a room and kids, along with a list of known allergies and current medications (if any).

3. Bob, I will email you.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
<-- not really interested in game

I'm a bit torn on the rest. I'd like to do some visiting, cause it may likely be my only time in Chcago, but then again it might be the only time I meet the Jatraqueros, so I also want to hang out a bit. So maybe a day of visiting and a day of hanging out in the hotel?

[ April 13, 2004, 09:28 AM: Message edited by: Kama ]

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
..like Kama says.

I don't care WHAT we do -- I just want to be with all of you and hang out. Whether that be game, museums, art, walking, dancing or whatever. Let's not be so PICKY about it! Just be spontaneous and go with the flow and spend time together!

LJ -- it's my daughter's birthday too -- and that is how we are looking at it -- as a special birthday trip/present!

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

I have no opinion. I understand people wanting to see something of Chicago because they've traveled so far. But at the same time I think we need to limit it to a maximum of about two or three major activities.

I'm thinking O'Hare is going to be the better deal financially even though there is the whole no food in the conference room snag. You can order food to your hotel room though and so I'd probably just have the caterer deliver to one of those and have like a buffet line in whatever room gets chosen.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
Sears tower is pricey. If you're just interested in the view, might I suggest the Hancock Building instead?

In fact, how much is everyone willing to spend on activites? When push comes to shove, that's really going to determine what we actually do, right?

Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

yup, and the hancock building actually has a resturaunt on the floor below the observation tower that is free to get into, and buying a soda in the bar area (you don't have to buy booze) is considerably cheaper than the observation fee, though it will run you about $5. But there is generally a line to get there as well.

AJ

BannaOj
Member # 3206

Also, Farmgirl, while I'm all about hanging out and going with the flow the problem is that it sounds like people will be disapointed if they don't "see Chicago" and whatever that means to them. They are investing a bit of $$ into this trip and they feel they have a right to see the city along with the Jatraqueros.

Also, if we get any larger of a group than we had at Dana's, there definitely needs to be more structure and organization involved, simply because logistics become a nightmare. The larger the group the less spontenaity as an entire group is possible.

AJ

[ April 13, 2004, 10:50 AM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
I have no idea if I can come or not, but just in case...

1) As I understand it, everyone who could technically drive me there is either full or is going another route

2) If I took the train, could someone pick me up in Chicago?

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Hobbes, if you took the train you could change at Union Station and take a local light rail line the way to either Skokie or O'Hare which would land you at either possible hotel's doorstep.

AJ

[ April 13, 2004, 10:57 AM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

Hobbes
Member # 433

3) Am I an idiot and there's a whole other possibility in which I just transfer at Union station and go right to the hotel's doorstep?

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

1. I'm there to see Hatrackers. I will not go to the Cubs game. I don't really care about Chicago - Chicago will be there any time, and if I want to tour, I can do that before or after KamaCon.

2. I do want to see the art museum with Hatrackers, and I'm serious about the Twist and Shout thing.

3. All other time I would be perfectly happy playing pictionary, wandering through Wal-Mart, and practicing fencing in the hotel.

The official KamaCon sounds like it is going to last at most a few days. For those that want to take all morning to climb to the top of a building to see the view they can get from their airplane, maybe before or after The Gathering? I'm not going, and I want to see you!

[ April 13, 2004, 11:01 AM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

3)Yup
[Razz]

AJ

Hobbes
Member # 433

4) That's what I figured.

It all depends on my job this summer (if I can make it or not). I should be finding that out pretty soon and then I can hopefully work out a little more detailed plan.

Hobbes [Smile]

Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
We'll go with the flow. The only specific activity we were hoping/planning for was the Cubs game, and that would be much more fun with other people. However, we'll be there for a couple days before most of you, so anything that ends up not being part of the overall plan is something we can do beforehand if we desire. I've been atop Sears Tower (and have far too many memories of Sears as it is), and while I attempt to appreciate museums (musea?), they fall into the same category as poetry much of the time. I know what's in there is valuable and worth the time, but I usually fail to appreciate it fully without spending more time on it than I'm often willing or able to spend.

The only thing we really can't do in the first two days is spend time with Hatrackers, so we certainly hope for that to be a big part of the weekend.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Anna, I think we need to decide if this is going to be an "outing in Chicago" kind of thing or a "sit in the hotel" kind of thing. If it's the former, basing in O'Hare seems like a terrible mistake -- especially if we're only saving $20 a night or so -- because of the time it would add to excursions downtown.

I'm also a bit skeptical of the need for a caterer, to be honest -- UNLESS we're based in the O'Hare area, which isn't known for its restaurants.

Hobbes
Member # 433

I'd be up for whatever, but the less money spent the better. I'm pretty sure Annie will be there so... yah, I don't care what we do really.

Sitting around in a hotel sounds like a blast to me, but if everyone wants to go to a Cub's game... well I love baseball too.

Hobbes [Smile]

Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
I still haven't decided on whether or not I'm going.

Hey, Kat, who else is coming? [Razz]

Anyway, Chicago will always be there. Besides, my brother is starting his PhD there in the fall so I'll probably be there more often over the next few years.

I'm up for hanging out with with people in the hotel. If people want to come away from this trip with stupid tricks under their belt I can probably bring some stupid amount of juggling equipment and can teach people how to juggle (by which I mean people can throw stuff at each other). I wouldn't mind heading into town once or twice, but lazy is as lazy does and I'd be quite content in a hotel room.

There's no reason why people who want to do some specific excursion can't organize it themselves. If 5 people want to see a Cubs game and everyone else would rather chill out in the pool, I'm sure that can be arranged.

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

*Note to self: get a swiming suit*

Hobbes [Smile]

sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What I'd personally vote for so far is the Howard Johnson that is changing to a Comfort Suites in June. Their pool area is recently remodeled and the pictures look awesome. Though I realize it is stairs only access and we'd have to carry Diane in if it came to that.

I'm sorry I haven't tracked this until today - I'm sick with a cold and buried with work.

Please tell me this hotel is not being considered any more. Being carried is not something Diane would agree to - I support her in this.

It's one thing when people have private homes that are hard to get into. We can either meet somewhere else or use a portable ramp (we keep one in the van). But I can't see myself partying in an allegedly public place that isn't designed for Diane to enter.

Sorry if this comes off as cranky. I'm really tired and not feeling well. Lousy busy couple of weeks.

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Bob: woohoo! I have some limited juggling skils, but I would be delighted with the chance to throw fruit with impunity.

And what do you mean you haven't decided yet? It's in CHICAGO! There will never be a closer place! You HAVE to come. [Smile]

celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
Oooooo, BtL might be in Chicago a few times starting in the fall? Do you think he'll have time for other Ph.D. students?

Yeah, as much as I love the Art Institute, I've been a few times already. I've been trying not to add too much on the suggested activities front as anything I really want to do there, I'm close enough to do on my own time.

What celia is interested in happening (in no particular order):

1. Getting her copy of Monster Rules signed.
2. Sitting down for an intimate conversation with Kama.
3. Putting faces and voices to a lot of people.
4. Eating deep dish pizza at least once.
5. Corrupting Nathan.

Other activities are icing.

Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Just checked, for the fun of it, and there are games every day we're there, so we'll be cool. In fact, I'd kinda prefer to see them play San Diego (Wed night or Thurs afternoon) rather than Los Angeles (Fri or Sat afternoon), because I'll be happy no matter who wins. If I see them play L.A. and they lose, I'm double-whammied, because I kinda like the Cubs and kinda dislike L.A.

Anyway, as I said, we'll go with the flow. And for the record, BtL, while I enjoy the humor found all over this forum, I usually just smile appreciatively -- but I laughed aloud when you asked Kat who else would be there. Thanks for that.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I really, really, REALLY want to see a Cubs game.

That's the only "Chicago" activity I'm interested in doing. [Smile]

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

*hides face in hands* I didn't get it until I read what Pop wrote.
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

It was four months ago, Kat. But yeah, I "smiled appreciatively" when I read your first response, because I could tell you didn't get it then.

Oh, and Bob -- don't worry, you should still attend KamaCon. Kat's much nicer in person, after all.

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I just don't want us to "over-plan" (Tom!). Some of us are perfectly happy sitting in the hotel conference room, eating pizza, conversing and playing board games. (and thus saving money). If every second is planned for outings, well, I don't know.

I remember seeing Washington DC in 3 days once -- it was just crammed, and everyone was cranky and tired and it took all the fun out of it.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

quote:
It was four months ago, Kat.
Wait. What are you saying? [Eek!]
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

I'm saying that this thread was from four months ago -- that's what his joke made me think of.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

"I just don't want us to 'over-plan' (Tom!)."

Hey, don't look at me. I'm not the guy calling caterers. [Smile] j/k

That said, I think it's important to consider how we're going to be using the space, as a group, before making a hotel decision. If the majority of us are okay with just staying in a hotel for most of the time, the amenities of the hotel become considerably more important than its location; if the majority plans to be out seeing the city, or dining in outlying areas, the location becomes more important than what the hotel has to offer.

[ April 13, 2004, 11:50 AM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

katharina
Member # 827

[Razz] I know. I was teasing.

I was wondering if it is a tweak about my appalling memory for my own actions and comments. I ever tell the story of the incredible, wonderful mix tape of classical music and movie sound tracks that I stumbled across and asked around for where it came from before a friend kindly informed that I had made it?

Hobbes
Member # 433

When did Tom relapse into the " [Wink] j/k"?

[Frown]

Hobbes [Smile]

CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

- posted      Profile for CalvinMaker   Email CalvinMaker         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
1. I'm there to see Hatrackers. I will not go to the Cubs game. I don't really care about Chicago - Chicago will be there any time, and if I want to tour, I can do that before or after KamaCon.

2. I do want to see the art museum with Hatrackers, and I'm serious about the Twist and Shout thing.

3. All other time I would be perfectly happy playing pictionary, wandering through Wal-Mart, and practicing fencing in the hotel.

The official KamaCon sounds like it is going to last at most a few days. For those that want to take all morning to climb to the top of a building to see the view they can get from their airplane, maybe before or after The Gathering? I'm not going, and I want to see you!

I completely agree Kat. I'm totally going just to hang out with fellow 'rackers. That was the best part about Wenchcon. Except, I do wanna go out Swing Dancing...
Posts: 1934 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

sndrake I think the Howard Johnson has safely been ruled out in favor of the Holiday Inn so take a deep breath. If Diane wasn't ok with that it wasn't going to be there anyway that is why I mentioned her in the first place.

Skokie has much more local stuff, parks, shopping etc, if not quite Chicago proper, within walking distance than O'Hare. I also think the hotel accomodations will be nicer in Skokie. So if we want a more sit in the hotel type thing with gentle moseying around the neighborhood then Skokie is probably the place, even if it costs slightly more.

If we are going to jaunt into the City every day, then my vote would be O'Hare.

It is up to the will of the majority and I haven't figured out what our group consensus is. I don't care either way just let me know so I can make the reservations!

AJ

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.