FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » KamaCon.... (Page 6)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: KamaCon....
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
bumpage because I know that people were making hotel arrangements on this thread and I want it on the first page for reference
Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
*bump*

Back to the front page with you!

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to try to run on even less sleep this time, cause all the fun stuff happened when I was asleep!

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll get yelled at if I don't sleep. [Grumble]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

True.

But if I don't sleep, I'll need to yell at myself. [Wink] So you won't be the only one sleeping.

Does that help at all, mack?

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
*bump* again so that we can keep the attendance list on page 3 updated...

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

*bump* (sorry)

I just was seeing if there were any additions to who is coming to KamaCon....

What's the status on the t-shirts, as well?

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*bumped* for Space Opera

Also, maybe someone who knows who is coming can give us an updated list?

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Hey all,

I think I'm going to have to back out of KamaCon.

Finances, ya know.

Two of my three kids are going on a work mission with our church this summer, and that took a lot of $$$, and it is just two weeks before KamaCon.

Then KamaCon hits right at the time we have back-to-school supplies and fees (high school and college).

I had hoped to save up enough early in the year to be able to do it all this summer, but it hasn't happened - savings keeps getting eaten by car repairs and home repairs and other stuff.

I had really hoped to go, not only to see all of you (primary), but also because it is going to be my daughter's awesome 15th birthday present (Aug 13th) and because I have a younger sister in Chicago I wanted to see.

But right now, I just don't see anyway I could afford to do this realistically unless the heavens themselves opened up and poured money.

You all have a good time and post pictures!

Farmgirl

Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
You can take me off the list too. I don't feel I belong on Hatrack anymore. I'm beginning to realize I never belonged here in the first place.
Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Hm. What's prompting that emotion, Theca? Drop me a line...?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
People!!! Don't do this!

[Frown]

[ June 01, 2004, 09:36 AM: Message edited by: Kama ]

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
A lesson I learned from EnderCon was that 80% of all "I'm definitely going" people will, in fact, find some excuse not to go when the chips are down. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Thanks, Tom, for taking my present financial situation and making it "just an excuse" to not go to something I really really wanted to go to.

Farmgirl

BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
*hugs* it's ok Farmgirl.

Theca, if you don't come (and I'm still holding out hope you will because I think you are a wonderful jatraquera) can you mail me that book for Kama?

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Theca, I don't know how you define belonging on Hatrack. But I met you before I ever came here, and thought you were a lovely, thoughtful, interesting person, and was looking forward to seeing you again in August. I noticed I wasn't noticing many posts from you once I did start hanging out here, but I don't read all the threads and don't post all that often myself, so figured it was likely that either you were posting in different threads or primarily lurking... anyway, I guess my point is that even if you're not feeling too active/connected in the forum right now, you still could have a good time in Chicago in August. Not everyone is planning on running around from activity to activity, I'm sure there will be plenty of us primarily staying at the hotel, playing games, working on craft projects, and talking. Please consider it.

Farmgirl, I understand how expenses creep up on you. It'll be a total bummer not to have you and IvyGirl there, but if you can't do it you can't do it. And if money does start falling from the sky, you can certainly change your mind last minute and even if the hotel is full, we'll find places to put y'all. [Wink]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
Theca, you should definitely go to Kamacon!!!

(Even though I can't go myself. [Wink] )

You'll have a lot of fun meeting people. [Smile]

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry about the finances, Farmgirl. Those are tough, especially when you're a single mom.

Looks like my kids start school the Tues. after KamaCon, so I'm undecided about coming. Gonna talk to Mr. Opera about it tonight and see what he thinks.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Farmgirl, I can totally understand where you're coming from. But I am so bummed that I won't get to meet you! [Frown]

Theca, I was really looking forward to meeting you as well. I hope you change your mind and come.

Opera, hope y'all decide to come, but that is tight scheduling.

Marek
Member # 5404

- posted      Profile for Marek   Email Marek         Edit/Delete Post 
hmmmm, it would be sort of funny to go to KamaCon and meet someone from the town I live in.

*actually might be able to go*

Posts: 2332 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay!! Find roommates and reserve a room. [Smile]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Really, Marek? YAY! [Big Grin]
Marek
Member # 5404

- posted      Profile for Marek   Email Marek         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep rivka, really, even asked the folks today at lunch and they apparently aprove depending on finances. Dad just retired and he had been provideing a little over half the income of the house, so currently finances are a major concern, but yeah, I might be able to go, if you all will let me attend. *looks hopeful*
Posts: 2332 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm off the maybe list in this thread... though I imagine that list is rather outdated anyway.
Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

No Jeni? [Frown]

*crosses fingers that Marek will be able to come*

Y'know, it's hard to type like this.

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Wendy is only available between 9 and 5. I'll find a way to get ahold of her today, and I'll reserve the room for xnera under my name, which should be sufficient for AnnaJo's peace of mind, bringing the quota to (at least) 10.

I'm tendering my own regrets, as David and I will be attending to other matters at that time.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

I gotta quit reading these threads -- it makes me want to find a way to go so badly! <sigh> But, you know when we started planning this we were going to share rides up, and all that, and since that fell through it really changed the picture for me. I'm still holding out hope -- if I can get enough to drive up, I could stay with my sister (and not have any cost to that) although I would rather stay at the hotel with all of you...

no...I need to quit reading these KamaCon threads and just resign myself to staying home...

Space Opera -- did you ever decide if you are going?

Farmgirl

Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
<Is saddened that CT will not be attending.>
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

[Frown] Me too.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Allow me to elucidate. Deeply, deeply saddened.
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown] [Frown] [Frown]

Dammit, I really really really really wanted to meet CT. [Frown] [Frown] [Frown]

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

I was talking with my brother on the phone this past weekend (his birthday was Saturday), and while I mentioned it would be cool to see a number of different people from Hatrack, the only person I mentioned by (screen)name was CT. Not to belittle you other folks, but I did sorta figure that meeting her would be one of the highlights. I wanted to thank her in person for the help she has been (emotionally and informationally) when we went through our Mooselet traumas, for the kind things she has said so many times over, etc. And since no pictures are available, it was a chance to see what she looks like.

CT, while I certainly respect your (a) right and ability to make your own choices, and (b) need to "attend to other matters," please let us know if there's anything we (I) can do to entice you to re-alter your plans in such a way as to take part in KamaCon.

Just sayin'.

--Pop

mackillian
Member # 586

I think it's me.

This is the third time I was supposed to have met CT and it fell through. [Frown]

katharina
Member # 827

It's my second. [Frown]
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
If I drove north on 75 to Kansas (from Tulsa, where I live)...and then had someone to help with the cost of fuel... [Evil]
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

but Boon -- I thought you said you were going to take the whole family if you go.....

FG

Boon
unregistered

Daddy can't go, so I could leave him here at the house with Dan and Jen...

DH can fend for himself. [Evil Laugh]

Edit: so IF I could go, it would be me and Boo. Anybody wanna share a room with us?

[ June 29, 2004, 01:50 PM: Message edited by: Boon ]

Boon
unregistered

Oh, yeah...and don't offer to share a room with us if breastfeeding in public squicks you out. Nighttime is the ONLY time I don't bother trying to hide the breastages. And I have to have a nightlight. And a bed. And 15 pillows. But I'll bring those myself. [Big Grin]
katharina
Member # 827

I think RRR may still be looking for a roommate.
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
I am and would gladly share a room with Boon. However, I might be sharing a room with Marek if he ever decides to come. So, basically, I have no idea.
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

I'll still have to discuss things with the Hubby, but it actually looks like I can AFFORD to go, even without a roomie! Yippee! That's 3/4 of the battle right there!

So, Farmgirl, if you wanna go, and I CAN go, you can ride with me. All you'll have to arrange is sleeping accommodations.

So, there it is. I'll talk to him tonight, and anyone wanting to share my room is welcome if I came. I'll let you know. [Big Grin]

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Thanks for the offer, Boon. Let me check again on my end as to how things stand and I'll let you know one way or the other...

Farmgirl

Lime
Member # 1707

- posted      Profile for Lime   Email Lime         Edit/Delete Post 
If you can make it as far as the Rockford area, you can carpool with us, Farmgirl.
Posts: 753 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Sweet, sweet Papa Moose. [Smile]

If I'm still in the States come KamaCon, I'll drive over for a day to visit the littluns at the hotel and do a trip to the Art Institute. However, I'm seriously considering watching the polar bears at Churchill if my David can swing conference funding to cover a trip up to the frozen North. [Big Grin]

You are close in my heart, too. *warm hug

Edit 1: and mack and rivka and katharina and y'all who are so kind ... much love all around. We'll get together eventually. Too many strong ties not too. I'm just feeling "like butter scraped over too much toast," to quote an old friend, and I haven't it in me to get over that fast. But it'll come.

Edit 2: I missed Theca's sadness. I hope that time has passed for you, Theca -- I do consider you very much a part of this place. [Frown]

Edit 3: Chalk me up for one of Tom's 80%. *rueful look But at least I'll still send money for the cause. Myself, though, I need to hold onto for awhile. Preferably sprawled on the tundra with cold wind in my face. [Smile] Quiet time in Canada is where I feel at peace, and I'm just jealous enough to take that for my own. I need not to be needed by many people for a little while, if that makes sense. Not to be asked questions, not to be the butt of anger and frustration, not to be anything more than I have to be for my own sanity. That means paring down to my sweetheart, my good friends here in town, my books, and my work. Let a few scabs form over the raw places.

My new policy is to never say "yes" to any plans in advance -- the one sure way out of avoiding being one of that 80%. Plus, you get to tell yourself you are being "mysterious." [Evil]

Still, though, I'll commit to the Care and Feeding of the next generation of the Davidsons. For whatever reason, that commitment feels light as a feather and very very precious to me.

[ June 29, 2004, 07:36 PM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

*hug* You take whatever you need, girly. [Smile]
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

(((katharina)))

*whispers

Thanks.

katharina
Member # 827

*hug* I never, ever want your tribe and those that love you here to be a drain. That's the nice thing about a community - everyone is needed, but there is some spreading of the responsibility. I know you, like anne kate, are so empathetic that you hurt when other people hurt and can't see a need without trying to respond. That tender heart is part of magical CT, but it also means that you need to not see it sometimes, and that's totally, completely good. I'm so glad you have a place and people to retreat to. [Smile]
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

I know. And any hubris about being indispensible is just that -- hubris. We all have a role to play, and it's a big community.

I'll be quiet now, and I do feel lots better. [Smile] But I'll always remember this kindness from you, Katie. [Kiss]

(Time, finally, to go home.)

Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
So... now that I'm back on board the gravy train o' the internet... I can get back to the important things in life: figuring out if I can still come to KamaCon and who'll stay with me or who still needs roommates.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

We're being spurned for polar bears. Oh, the shame! [Blushing]

Seriously, CT, I selfishly hope that you are able to drop in at KamaCon -- coming and leaving in that unexpected and mysterious way that is your wont; but I 1000% agree that taking care of YOU for a change is in order. You do so much taking care of others, both here and in that oh-so-draining job of yours. (((((CT)))))

It's like oxygen masks. [Big Grin]

*idly wonders if we could just fly in a couple polar bears for CT*

*imagines what polar bears could do to hotel rooms* [Eek!] [Angst]

*imagines saying bye-bye to any and all security deposits*

Oh well. [Wink]

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.