FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » KamaCon.... (Page 5)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: KamaCon....
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I'm still planning to come, but am not certain. I was planning on driving the van, but it's breaking...so I may have to use the money I have set aside for the trip to fix the van...in which case I'll have to save up again for the trip...
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Boon -- I thought you were catching a ride with Bob...

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

If it's just me and Thomas, that would work...provided Bob is agreeable. If, however, DH and the kiddos come too...well...that's 5 of us. I don't think Bob has that many seats OR trunk room. [Big Grin]
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Mathematical comparison can't be done indiscriminately among physical objects. Ten is of importance in the situation given because it is a boundary condition. A single molecule of oxygen is neither important nor a boundary condition.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
So, BannaOJ, are you reserving 10 rooms plus the conference room? I know we've got Calvin's list of who's coming, but we really don't know of those how many are going to want to room 2 to a room, 4 to a room, or individually. If everyone on the list wants 4/room we'd be at exactly 10 rooms if ALL the maybes come, but I doubt everyone is going to want to go that way.

saxon75 it would not make you a bad person if you wanted to attend but have your own room. As long as you can pay for it, you can do whatever you want.

Do other people out there have thoughts as far as knowing who's rooming together or if you want to be by yourself? That would really help BannaOJ know how many rooms to reserve.

(I'm anticipating meeting Ryuko's Mom this week and us making a decision about coming shortly thereafter. If we do come, I'd imagine we'll be rooming together.)

[ April 20, 2004, 09:38 PM: Message edited by: ElJay ]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok tomorrow I'm reserving a block of 10 rooms at the Holiday Inn Skokie.

I hope at least 10 rooms get used. I'm sure they will be happy to accomodate more guests than that, because if we go higher they drop the conference room price more.

There are several ways we can arrange transportation to and from the airport. One is the train however it will involve train changes. Another option is for multiple people to join together and split the fare cost which is around $20 $20/4= $5 which isn't bad. A third option which I'm planning on doing but can't guarantee is running a shuttle of my own mini-van which can hold myself and 6 passengers.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

If it is just me & IvyGirl in my family going, we would probably want to share a room with other ladies, to split costs.

However, if my boys want to go, then it is a whole new ball game for me, especially as far as cost (travel up and staying, because we would have to do it all as a family). So I don't see that as a real possibility due to cost.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, as far as giving people rides, I think I may have to throw a wrench into that. It turns out that I have a business trip to the area the week before so instead of driving up from TX, I'll already be there.

dkw and I are planning to use the partial week to take care of some pre-wedding tasks (like our mandatory counseling sessions) and run around paying deposits and such.

So, I probably can't give anyone a ride up to KamaCon. Unless it's a ride from Iowa to Chicago...

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

That's okay, Bob. Actually, if I drive up I'll also be giving another person a ride to Indiana...so...it's all good. [Smile]
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Lalo I have to admit I don't think your sorry rear is going to make it to Chicago by then if you are pedaling. If I'm wrong, I'll gladly treat you to a steak dinner.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

- posted      Profile for CalvinMaker   Email CalvinMaker         Edit/Delete Post 
Kasie, I'll probably be taking a plane, considering my car would most likely break down on the way, plus the plane would be about the same price with gas and everything.

We can take the same flight though, and if you do that, you of course can get a ride with me to the airport.

Also, I'd prefer to split the room with as many people as possible. For me, cheaper=better.

Posts: 1934 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
<-- wants to room with people

[Eek!]

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Berg
Member # 133

- posted      Profile for Richard Berg   Email Richard Berg         Edit/Delete Post 
Sifting through 5 pages as economically as possible, it seems there's a gathering in Chicago at the end of the summer to celebrate Kama's arrival (for how long?) in the U.S.

If I get a job, I may be able to come. Then again, if I don't have a job, I can definitely come [Razz]

(edit) I'll room wherever, whoever...

[ April 20, 2004, 06:04 AM: Message edited by: Richard Berg ]

Posts: 1839 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

3 weeks, but not all in Chicago [Big Grin]
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
I'll make the sacrifice and room with you, Kama.

I don't snore, but I steal the covers.

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

Wait. There are separate beds. Right? Right???
Richard Berg
Member # 133

- posted      Profile for Richard Berg   Email Richard Berg         Edit/Delete Post 
I figured we'd be piling 8 to room regardless, save for any preexisting couples. We band geeks lose privacy hangups at an early age.
Posts: 1839 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
I may or may not get a room. It all depends on how my money situation is at the time. If I have the money, I will share a room with someone. If the money is bad, then I'm just gonna go home every night.
Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 5538

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd rather ask than sift through the thread again -- does the place we've decided on have suites as well as 2Q rooms? Either way our family will need its own, I think. If there are suites, we can probably rent out some floor space in the living room at very reasonable rates.

--Pop

Posts: 15 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
dkw and I are planning to use the partial week to take care of some pre-wedding tasks (like our mandatory counseling sessions) and run around paying deposits and such.
Eeep. Note to self – remember to make appointments for counseling sessions.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
From here:
quote:
Our hotel has four floors and offers 244 spacious guest rooms with a variety of configurations which can accommodate a maximum of five people. 84 single rooms, 160 double rooms, 181 non-smoking rooms and excellent facilities for the disabled are available.

So doesn't look like they have suites, per se. But quite likely you can get two adjoining rooms with a connecting door.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Ooooh. Outlets!
quote:
Old Orchard Shopping Malls: three miles

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

omg. I just realized the exact location of this place. This is going to be extremely convienent for me, even though I didn't realize it before now. I work less than 3 miles away. Also I think we will be quite close to a metra line.

I just called. They will be sending me the contract by the end of this week. If we go over 20 rooms we get the hospitality suite free. But a bloc of 10 will be reserved under KamaCon. All you will have to do is call Wendy and she will take care of you! I will give the phone number once I sign the contract. This contract also doesn't have a penalty fee if you don't fill the rooms so I feel much better about it than the Ramada. And small pets are allowed apparently <grin> though I'm planning on leaving mine at home.

AJ

BannaOj
Member # 3206

The hospitality room does have couches and stuff.

I was uncertain as to whether people are going to be staying the night of Sunday the 15th. You will need to let her know and you will get that day at the same discount rate. I will have the hospitality room reserved for that day so that even if you are checking out you have a place to crash until you go to the airport.

AJ

BannaOj
Member # 3206

also rivka it says there is a hebrew theological seminary less than a mile away so you may be able to walk to worship.

AJ

rivka
Member # 4859

Great, AJ! Thanks again for taking care of all these details. [Smile]

Couple questions: what would be the cost of a room for three? For four?

And is it possible to get a fridge in the room, and how much extra would that run?

[Edit: I saw that, but it won't work for me. OTOH, there is a day school .7 miles away -- I'm emailing them to see if they have services there, or know of any nearby. [Smile] ]

[ April 20, 2004, 12:22 PM: Message edited by: rivka ]

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Oooooo! They have a hot tub! (checking out the photo tour of the hotel).

I'm going to be in heaven!

Farmgirl

BannaOj
Member # 3206

I believe it is $89 regardless of how many people are in the room. So $89/3 is $29.67 $89/4 is 22.25. I have no idea on the refridgerator. I would discuss that with Wendy. And we will be allowed to have kosher food delivered.

AJ

BannaOj
Member # 3206

I started a separate thread for crucial info. Hopefully the "clutter" conversations will stay here. But I'm going to start posting metra links and stuff as I find them on that site for easy reference.

AJ

BannaOj
Member # 3206

btw I didn't realize I was stressing about this, but deciding the actual hotel has just decreased my stress levels considerably!

AJ

rivka
Member # 4859

In California, the room price goes up with each additional occupant -- and that's everywhere from bare-bones motels to hot-and-cold-running-bellboys places. Is that not true elsewhere?
BannaOj
Member # 3206

It would be true but we have a flat rate due to the group reservation <grin>

AJ

rivka
Member # 4859

Cool! What about if we want an extra cot? I'm a sheet-and-pillow thief. [Evil]
BannaOj
Member # 3206

It's a Holiday Inn not a skanky motel on the side of the freeway in the middle of nowhere for crying out loud! I'm sure they would provide extra blankets and pillows upon request. I'm assuming you will politely tip the bellboy when he brings them.

Are you trying to make my life difficult rivka? [Wink]

AJ

fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
CT, about how much do you expect your morning expedition would cost?
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

In my experience, mid-range hotels are MORE likely to charge extra for such things as an extra cot. [Dont Know]

And not really, but I'm just so good at it! *hides*

BannaOj
Member # 3206

Yeah but the low end ones look at you and laugh when you want something extra [Smile]

AJ

rivka
Member # 4859

Very true. [Smile]

I'm not worried that it won't be available; I'm just trying to calculate costs.

BannaOj
Member # 3206

we could always find a walmart. and if worse comes to worse we have lots of extra pilows at my house

AJ

rivka
Member # 4859

[ROFL]

Ok, I think I wasn't clear. If Katie and Kama want to share a bed, or someone wants to take a chunk of floor; great. Otherwise, we're going to need another bed. So I was just trying to find out how much extra that would be.

When I've gone on weekend-things with groups at similar hotels, it's usually been about $10-20 extra per night.

Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Meow...
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

I can share a bed.
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
So can I. So we're good. [Smile]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Cool. [Smile] I do pretty well at Playing Well With Others while awake -- not so much when asleep (or mostly so). [Blushing]
Kama
Member # 3022

You hear that, boys?

I'ma sleep with Katie!!!

[Monkeys]

rivka
Member # 4859

Uhoh. Does that make me the chaperone?
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Ooooh. Outlets!
Now, when I see this, I think:
"Oh cool, a place to plug in my laptop."

Ah well...

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

You better hope those are a lot closer than 3 miles away . . .
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ooooh. Outlets!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, when I see this, I think:
"Oh cool, a place to plug in my laptop."

Ah well...

I had that exact same thought, Bob...
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
*grin* From what I remember, there's usually not a lot of sleep. [Monkeys] [Blushing]

[ April 20, 2004, 04:18 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.