FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A Song of Ice and Fire thread, SPOILERS! The entire thread is ABOUT spoilers. (Page 6)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: A Song of Ice and Fire thread, SPOILERS! The entire thread is ABOUT spoilers.
Khal Drogo
Member # 6786

- posted      Profile for Khal Drogo   Email Khal Drogo         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I can't believe I never figured out why Petyr was called Littlefinger before, I feel so friggin dumb.
Posts: 148 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
KG: Yup, you are right. I was confusing my Internet world with my fantasy world for a mnute there.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Drago, I don't think so...look how hard it is for thoros of Myr to keep just one man alive.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Khal Drogo
Member # 6786

- posted      Profile for Khal Drogo   Email Khal Drogo         Edit/Delete Post 
But the comet is just in it's early stages, and Thoros isn;t the powerful, he's no where near Mellisandres league. And their power grows with the comet, and I said in sufficient number, we dont know how many of the their are in the east/
Posts: 148 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jacama
Member # 6291

- posted      Profile for jacama           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
but I think it is Dead Kat who will kill her.
Cat is sympathetic to Cersei. She recognizes the same blind, mother's love and even asks herself, if she was in the same position, if she wouldn't have killed Robert to protect her children. I think that Cat's hate is centered on the Frey's and that is where she will take her revenge.

Regarding "the sacrifice", I assumed that it was Robert's bastard son.

Posts: 19 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Khal Drogo
Member # 6786

I think its pretty clear that Storm isn't sarfificed, if he was Stannis would have either assaulted Kings Landing again, or when he cam to the wall, it would have been with a hellof a lot more troops and flying thingies.
Kwea
Member # 2199

What sacrifice?

Re-read it, or at least reread this thread.

Davos sent his son away so the sacrifice never happened.

Unless you meant Gendry, who (last I read) was still alive as well.

I don't think ANY of us shoudl "assume" anything at this point.....

Also, who said there power asends with the comet? I remember the conflict growing with it towards the penuntimate conflict, and winter is coming....
Kwea

[ August 31, 2004, 06:21 PM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Khal Drogo
Member # 6786

Thoros and Mellisandre both did. Remember Thoros talking with Arya saying his primary role was to get drunk when he was in King's Landing. He then tells her of the surge of power he felt when the comet came, and how suddenly he was able to perfomr miraculous things, aka raising the dead, which he had only thought were mythis before.

And I was talking about the bastard who lived in Storms End being sacrificed.

Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
Just spent five straight days drinking in hotel rooms with George at WorldCon, and he didn't let a damn thing slip. [Grumble]

It was sorta funny, though. Every panel George was on, someone would try and get him to tell them who Jon Snow's parents were. During a panel called "Beyond Sex", about how to use erotica in SpecFic, a question was aimed at George: "In order to be born, two people must have sex. Could you tell us which two copulated to create Jon Snow?" [Smile]

A more creative question was proposed in a panel on Gods--"We know the Old Gods have a hand in Jon Snow's fate, because he has Stark blood, in the form of Ghost, but do the Valyria Gods play a role, since his father was a Targaryen?"

Neither were answered. [Big Grin]

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. Eddie, I'm not sure I've ever resented you more in my life.
Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
What he said.

[Grumble]

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Well, I remeber something about power on the rise too, but wasn't sure.

I severely doubt we will see the priests raise an army....

And the boys name was Edric Storm, and Davos savesdd him from Stannis and lamost lost his life for doing so.

Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Did he happen to mention how the book was coming, Frisco?

How did you end up drinking with Martin for five days straight? Sounds like there's probably an interesting story there.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
That reminds me of a post I once read on a Polish forum. There was a convention in Poland, and OSC was the guest of honor. And this guy distinctly remembers drinking beer with him.

[Laugh]

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Maybe it was punwit. Or that guy who was going around the area where OSC lives pretending to be OSC in order to pick up women in bars.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

WEll, maybe it's working....he DID have dinner with ELJay, right? [Big Grin]

Kwea

Noemon
Member # 1115

This is true! I'll tell you this--if nothing else, punwit has moxy, that's for sure.
Kama
Member # 3022

So, since I drank beer with punwit, can I go around telling people I drank with OSC?
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

So it would seem Kama, so it would seem. FauxSC, at the very least.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
"So, since I drank beer with punwit, can I go around telling people I drank with OSC?"

Kama, I think it just means that you had a date with Eljay.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
Frisco, have I ever called you a name-dropper? I don't recall ... [Smile] I'm sure Lalo will remind me.
Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Now, about the pics of the date between you and ELJay, Kama.... [Big Grin]
Kama
Member # 3022

I was once advised not to take pictures of the most intimate moments...
Frisco
Member # 3765

Noe, I went to WorldCon and hung with the Brotherhood Without Banners, George's fan club. He drank with us every night. The man's a machine. Nearly 60, and he was up until 4, 5am, then getting up at 9 for panels.

He says he's pretty much done writing AFFC(he's got roughly the same number of manuscript pages as ASoS, even though he's trying to make it shorter for easier printing), but he can't find a good ending. He wants some sort of closure to the chapter. He said he's never been a fan of "To be continued..."

And to continue the name-dropping for the newbie, here's a picture of me being knighted by GRRM. [Razz]

[edited for better picture]

[ September 13, 2004, 04:04 PM: Message edited by: Frisco ]

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just trying to figure out when Frisco goes to work. As far as I can tell, he's spent the last three months visiting conventions. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
He has - he's on a walkabout.

Edit: Dagnabbit, why do I always leave out the verb?

[ September 09, 2004, 12:08 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

He's Jesus. He doesn't work.
Noemon
Member # 1115

So you're saying that he's a broken savior?
Noemon
Member # 1115

Good information Frisco, thanks!
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
There's a different sample up at www.georgerrmartin.com -- it's one of the Iron Island chapters that was in Dragon magazine.

[ December 25, 2004, 12:14 PM: Message edited by: plaid ]

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I read the books. I'm glad I went back and read them.

Besides the three books, I have read a short story called The Hedge Knight, and a chapter from AFoC on www.georgerrmartin.com from the POV of Aeron Greyjoy. What else is there to read? I tried http://p080.ezboard.com/basoiaf, but I just wee people talking about chapters they've read (or had read to them), but no actuall chapters seem to be posted there.

So, are there any more short stories, and where can I find them? Are there any more FoC chapters available, and where can I find them?

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Man, I nearly had a heart attack when I saw this pop up again, as I thought a release date had been announced or something and I was horribly out of the loop.

Then I went to his website and saw a new update. He's still got more to go, but 1300 pages in the can is pretty darn impressive.

I think there are two Dunk and Egg stories out, one in each volume of Legends, IIRC, and The Hedge Knight has been made into a graphic novella-type-thing. It's well-done, at that.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Yes, Legends II is out, with a new Dunk and Egg story in it. I am buying it tomorrow.

Kwea

[ January 18, 2005, 02:55 AM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually ordered Legends II the other day so that I can OSC's Alvin story. Yippie!
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I thought that there was at least one other short story out there. Am I mistaken?
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Man, I nearly had a heart attack when I saw this pop up again, as I thought a release date had been announced or something and I was horribly out of the loop.
Uh huh. [Frown]
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

The Hedge Knight, and the Dunk and Egg one are the only ones I know about....

But I just bought Legends II, so off to read I go!

Kwea

Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
*bumped for spoilerish goodness*

By the way this:
quote:
He says he's pretty much done writing AFFC(he's got roughly the same number of manuscript pages as ASoS, even though he's trying to make it shorter for easier printing), but he can't find a good ending. He wants some sort of closure to the chapter. He said he's never been a fan of "To be continued..."
Amused me. We are over 7 months later and still not done writing it. Oh well, maybe someday. [Wink]
Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone else read the Hedge Knight graphic novel yet?
Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
I read the first two issues of the serialized comic. I was waiting to get the graphic novel because I heard they were reissuing it with additional pages, but the reissue should be out now. I'm going to Borders today so I'll look for it there, because I really do want it. If they don't have it, I'll stop at the comic book store tomorrow. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

Yeah Geoff, about 5 times now. For me it was my first intro to The Hedge Knight. I loved it. My only complaint... Do I need a spoiler warning? Just in case: Spoilers for Graphic Novel following...

I didn't like the art for the end where Prince Baelor's skull fragment fell out. The text said he was missing half his skull, and in the panel it looked like about the size of a quarter.

Other than that though I thought it was great art, and the story was very well transferred. I'm not sure there was even any dialogue lost. I've liked Mike S Miller's work for a while, and he even got me to buy a bunch of issues of X-Man when he did an issue for that book. I went back and bought a bunch of back issues after that so I would know what was going on in the next ones, but alas, he only did one issue.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

That reminds me--I got my brother a copy of The Hedge Knight graphic novel for his birthday a month ago. I'll have to see what he thought of it.
Frisco
Member # 3765

I got a copy of the second edition from the Dabel brothers at Boskone, and in addition to The Hedge Knight, there's an excerpt from The Sworn Sword--Battle on Redgrass Field. Is it in the first edition, too?

Also, the second edition has artwork from Amok from The Hedge Knight. Very cool stuff.

Kwea
Member # 2199

I love this thread! [Smile]
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
I was surprised when you linked Amok's site, Frisco. It hasn't been working for quite a few months now. And it's still not working for me.
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
Frisco linked to the Amok site exactly two years ago, Valentine014.
Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Yeah, I bumped this one because of the mention in the newer thread about these books.

[Smile]

Raventhief
Member # 9002

- posted      Profile for Raventhief   Email Raventhief         Edit/Delete Post 
Just noticed this thread (cause of the bump) wanted to throw my thoughts in.

1: Azor Ahai. Must be Daenerys. Among Melisandre's prophecies was something about reborn in storm, which is why she went to Dragonstone. Of course, Dany was born there, and she is called the Stormborn. She has already "waken dragons from stone", and is easily one of the most virtuous and admirable characters.

2: Coldhands. Ben Stark, maybe, more likely one of the Green men or some such.

3: Jon Stark. Not sure about the son of Rhaegar and Lyanna. Ned Dayne seemed pretty sure that Wylla was Jon's mother, and Ned Stark always said so. He probably will end up marrying Dany.

4: Daenerys. Will win in the end. Along the way will be betrayed by one of the sellswords she keeps around (Daario Nahaaris?). Will marry both Jon Snow and Euron Crowseye, or possibly Victarion Greyjoy.

5: Arya Stark. Will learn a lot from the Faceless Men, but will NOT join their order. After a while she'll bug out and use their teachings for her own revenge. She still kept Needle without them knowing and still has her list of people who must die.

6: Sansa Stark. Will not die, will eventually inherit the North. Along the way will become downright devious due to Littlefinger's tutelage. She's already going in that direction, becoming more cynical and capable both to avoid Littlefinger's advances and Robert Arryn's... annoyances.

7: Davos Seaworth. Dead. Or will die soon. He's mentioned in AFFC briefly. It was said that he went to White Harbor as envoy to the Manderlys and Wyman Manderly hung him in return for a pardon from Cersei.

8: Cersei. Dead. Or will die soon. Her follies with the Faith and her council left her completely defenseless.

9: Jamie. Will briefly become Brienne's lover and then die heroically. Not sure how.

10: Brienne. Not dying at the end of AFFC. Spared due to whatever word it was that she screamed and the end. Briefly becomes Jamie's lover. Lives through the series.

11: Melisandre. Evil. Knows full well that Stannis isn't Azor Ahai and the sword she gave Stannis isn't Lightbringer, is trying to steer him and the rest of Westeros in the wrong direction. She said herself that the Other often bathes his servants in gaudy light.

12: Tyrion. Wow. Tough call. Probably becomes a villain and dies before the end. Not sure, though.

13: Bran Stark. Succeeds in becoming a skinchanger, is able to use Hodor as one of his "skins". Which kind of creeps me out. Marries Meera.

Wow, that's a long post.

Posts: 354 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Daenerys. Will win in the end. Along the way will be betrayed by one of the sellswords she keeps around (Daario Nahaaris?). Will marry both Jon Snow and Euron Crowseye, or possibly Victarion Greyjoy.
My gut feeling is that Daenerys will marry Euron and be betrayed by him.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

quote:
3: Jon Stark. Not sure about the son of Rhaegar and Lyanna. Ned Dayne seemed pretty sure that Wylla was Jon's mother, and Ned Stark always said so. He probably will end up marrying Dany.

I'd be interested in how your opinion on this might be changed upon reading these links:

http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/mlarchives/faq/jon.html
http://members.aol.com/akai292/rhaegar.txt

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.