FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » "dammit. I need a mommy" (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: "dammit. I need a mommy"
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Annie, the scary thing is that the one my mom has (don't remember which, but it's different than what I have) tended to be even MORE dire! [Angst]

For the record, I don't think mack has a brain tumor (or other life-threatening nasty) -- and I agree that the surgery would mess up her pretty hair, which would be an awful shame -- but I do think that pain this bad deserves at least a call to the doctor.

For my sake, if not mack's! [Wink]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Where is she, by the way? Anyone seen her?
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Last time I saw her was late last night. She was making no-bake cookies. Perhaps she has since suffered a chocolate overload.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm right here.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Jamie, as soon as you get back, call doctor if you haven't already. Otherwise, I'll... uh... say nasty things under my breath about the weather... you have been warned.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

She hasn't. She says she's fine and she'll live. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

Hmmm... fine. She didn't say anything today about it, and computer at home is, well, unattainable.

In that case lets all order a pizza.

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Perhaps I was unclear. She's still in pain -- the same as yesterday, she said.

I think we should take her out and shoot her, to put US out of our misery! [Razz]

T_Smith
Member # 3734

Ok, then my threat stands. Doctor... or mumblings from Nathan.... choose wisely.
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
isn't she on her way there? tell her you're going for ice cream and drop her at a doctor.
Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
:shakes head:

No one can care about someone else and be Utter Evil.

You need to surrender your Utter Evil sticker, celia.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

hey, there's nothing not evil about an ice cream lie.
Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

Yes, there is. The ends are Good.

Evil != Good

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

[Roll Eyes]

you have no appreciation for ice cream if you think that.

Scott R
Member # 567

I have loved ice cream more deeply than a monster like you could ever dream.
celia60
Member # 2039

Never go in against cecilia when ice cream is on the line!
Scott R
Member # 567

I know the secrets of Frozen Custard. I can live there quite happily for some time. So, whenever you feel like dying, feel free to visit.

[ June 04, 2004, 11:32 AM: Message edited by: Scott R ]

mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Want to know a scary, horrific thing?

...ice cream apparently makes me sick.

[Cry]

...and I'm fine, guys. Seriously. Headache is mostly gone (at least right now).

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

Now THAT is scary.

How 'bout frozen yogurt? What is it about ice cream that makes you sick?

mackillian
Member # 586

I'm not even sure. I tried lactose-free ice cream, and that was WORSE than regular ice cream!
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Did you know brain-freezes can cure headaches that are just getting started? I've used this technique to derail oncoming headaches.

Just give yourself a brain freeze, and when it goes away, the headache often recedes. I have anecdotal evidence on one subject (me) only, but you get a Slurpee or ice cream to test it out, so what the hey?

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
I'm fine, guys. Seriously. Headache is mostly gone (at least right now).
Yay!
mackillian
Member # 586

Can you get on aim before the sun sets over there?
rivka
Member # 4859

Yes, but only if some of the food doesn't get cooked and I skip a shower. [Wink]

But I'll call you in a bit, ok? Just for a few minutes, though, while I finish up the cooking.

mackillian
Member # 586

*feels squishy special*
rivka
Member # 4859

Home or cell?
mackillian
Member # 586

cell. is FREE right now!
mackillian
Member # 586

Okay. I can't take THIS MUCH SLEEP. Nine hours again last night. Another nap this afternoon. I'm still tired. My head hurts again.

wtf?!

Scott R
Member # 567

Mack, this may be a silly question, but are you getting enough to eat?
mackillian
Member # 586

*blink*

um...

today I've had...

a bowl of granola and a roast beef sandwich.

yesterday I had...

three pieces of pizza, tuna fish sandwich, bowl of stew, last piece of pizza.

Scott R
Member # 567

Try eating something mild but solid-- like bread.

After I've had a deep sleep, sometimes I wake up with a headache. Food gets rid of it.

Food is good.

mackillian
Member # 586

Yes...apparently Jamie needs to eat more. o_O
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Why did nobody else express appreciation for this:

quote:
Never go in against cecilia when ice cream is on the line!
[ROFL]

Philistines!

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
uh, maybe you didn't catch this:

quote:
I know the secrets of Frozen Custard. I can live there quite happily for some time. So, whenever you feel like dying, feel free to visit.
and YOU call US philistines? Psh. Poser. [Wink]
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Ah. Quite right. I didn't catch it because it was so forced.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Did somebody delete a thread?
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you drinking enough water? Maybe your big ol' brain needs oxygen. (Okay, how weird is it that I almost spelled 'oxygen' as 'oksygen'?)
Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
mackillian, I'm pretty sure your project for this life is to learn how to be your own mommy. I'm serious. In fact, I'm as certain that this is your aporia as I am of anything else I know.

Think about it: many people around you give you advice, but it is never as useful as that which you come up with yourself. You've found your own way to survive a brutal childhood fairly intact, certainly better than most have done with much less struggle.

And though you continue to ask for advice and comforting from others, in the end it is your own small, still inner voice that you must listen to. Right? We are your friends, your sisters and brothers, but despite how passionately we may try, we really can't direct your life for you. In fact, you are too strong to let us.

mack, meet mommy. Mommy, meet mack.

[Kiss]

(As fot the rest of us, well, we'll just continue to love you to pieces. [Smile] )

[ June 05, 2004, 11:11 PM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

[Frown]
rivka
Member # 4859

mack, I think CT is right (well, she frequently is, you know [Big Grin] ); but I don't think it means you have to give up on getting surrogate mommy-ing.

Rather, I think it mostly means that your surrogate mommies will frequently get overruled. [Wink]

(((((mack)))))

suntranafs
Member # 3318

- posted      Profile for suntranafs   Email suntranafs         Edit/Delete Post 
"Never go in against cecilia when ice cream is on the line"!

You bloody murderer. *dies laughing*

Posts: 1103 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

Sheesh, people, credit where credit is due.

quote:
I have loved ice cream more deeply than a monster like you could ever dream.
I am just a follower of a brilliant mind.
UTAH
Member # 5032

- posted      Profile for UTAH   Email UTAH         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, Mac, I AM the mommy and you do need to go to the doctor. The symptoms have gone on way too long. You need to see a doctor to make sure it isn't anything serious. Are you just being stubborn or do you not have medical insurance?
Posts: 277 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Actually, UTAH, mack has consulted with CT, one of our wonderful Hatrack Doctors. [Smile] Additionally, the headache (as of Friday, at least, when I last spoke to mack) was subsiding.
mackillian
Member # 586

...and it's back with a vengeance. So is the exhaustion. Night before last I slept 9 hours, then took an hour and a half nap (somewhere between 1 and 2 hours). Mind you, I woke up at 1pm and took the nap 4:30-6ish. I was asleep in bed by 2am last night with a murderous headache. I awoke by my alarm at 7:30 with same headache. Shut off alarm, took 20mg bextra, and got back into bed. God will understand.

I slept until 1:30 pm. The headache, at least, is mostly gone.

I concede. Something is wrong. I am calling the doctor tomorrow. This isn't right. [Frown]

The BEST part is that I'm going up to see my father and sister this afternoon. >_<

MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck with everything!
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Damn. I was so hoping CT was right. [Frown] I am glad that you'll see a doc tomorrow, mack.

I hope this afternoon goes well. [Smile]

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

rivka, I haven't talked to mackillian in enough depth to thoroughly evaluate her as a physician regarding her current concerns. My sense, though, is that if she believes it is good to see or call her physician, then this is exactly what she should do. I think her listening to that still inner voice which directs her is a good thing.

I am, moreover, pretty sure that she will make herself the best mommy she could ever have. (But that's a friend-guess, not a physician-guess, and I'm willing to be proven wrong. [Smile] ) Sometimes I think advice can be counter-productive, as sometimes we are less likely to do the obvious thing in part because we've been told to do it -- even if we asked to be told. I've certainly seen this pattern in myself before.

In that light, I'm reckoning that my job as a friend (mine, not necessarily anyone else's) is to support Jamie in her choices and encourage her to be her own mommy. Her own choices for herself have gotten her through some outrageously difficult times, and I can't remember when I've ever given advice to her which she isn't strong and centered enough to make up her own mind about, anyway. It seems (to me) that her asking for advice might be her own way of figuring out what she really believes she ought to do, regardless.

That's cool. She's the expert on mack. [Cool] She's also proven herself to be one heck of a survivor.

So, I'm writing this as a bit of a disclaimer (me being neither mack's physician nor mother, specifically), and as a wild wail of support for the mighty mack. (And mack, though I wrote this to rivka, of course I wrote it for you, too. I believe in you, sugar. *hug)

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I apologize for implying that you were acting as mack's physician, CT. Of course that wouldn't be possible from so far away, and I should have been more careful about my phrasing. [Smile]

quote:
Sometimes I think advice can be counter-productive, as sometimes we are less likely to do the obvious thing in part because we've been told to do it -- even if we asked to be told.
I think the word you were looking for (or carefully skirting, as the case may be [Big Grin] ) is "stubborn."

quote:
Her own choices for herself have gotten her through some outrageously difficult times, and I can't remember when I've ever given advice to her which she isn't strong and centered enough to make up her own mind about, anyway. It seems (to me) that her asking for advice might be her own way of figuring out what she really believes she ought to do, regardless.

That's cool. She's the expert on mack. [Cool] She's also proven herself to be one heck of a survivor.

Very, very true.

CT is wise. [Smile]

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

rivka's always been my hero. [Smile]

(Stubborn? You wanna see stubborn? *laughing Takes one to know one, definitely. I'm not a Taurus for nothin'.)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.