FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Kingdom of Loathing (Page 30)

This topic comprises 32 pages: 1  2  3  ...  27  28  29  30  31  32   
Author Topic: The Kingdom of Loathing
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
Woooooohoooo! [Hat] [Hat]
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkWizard
Member # 6186

- posted      Profile for DarkWizard   Email DarkWizard         Edit/Delete Post 
wahoo [Hat]
Posts: 42 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
If any of you listen to Radio KoL, the DJ ZachsMind is a good friend of mine... if you have a favorite local band, get him an mp3 and he'll likely play it for you.

He also plays stuff from my now defunct bands (The Touch, Underdog), so I continue to like him [Smile]

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
i have applied. My char's name is Fortinbras.
Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
Fortinbras is in, and I did a little stat boost for everyone (I love that feature!).
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
CaySedai, that was friggin' cool! Also, I must say that playing the game this time was friggin' wayyyyyyy easier. I am at level 5 in just three days, (really two, if you play at the right time) and am ripping through things.

Some things have changed, though. The Clockwork Maid is no longer made up of the meat angine and frilly skirt. That just gives me a meat maid body now. Where do you get the head? (nevermind, just followed RRR's link to the spoiler site).And I think I remember the rest of Cobb's Knob (kitchens,etc.) appearing before I hit level 5 last time, but now I can only get to the outskirts. Is there something new I have to do? (nevermind, just saw RRR's link, which says stat requirement of 20. Pretty useful link! Thanks RRR!)

Also, since you guys are helping me level so freaking fast, are there things you want me to get that aren't worth the loss in time or stats for higher levels to get?

[ August 29, 2005, 05:34 PM: Message edited by: JonnyNotSoBravo ]

Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

You're a Seal Clubber, right? Can you do meatsmithing? That would be a useful skill to help others in the clan.
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

Hmmm, this is my first seal clubber, so I didn't realize I could do meat smithing. I will start looking into that.

I noticed that our money level went up then down...is that because the stat boost was purchased? Thank you for that! There are so many friggin items in our clan storage all I have to do for pants weapons and hats is too look at the most powerful weapon I can wield in the spoiler link and then get it from clan storage. Pretty cool! Has anybody in our group Ascended?

Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
I've ascended four times and am on a hardcore run right now after three softcore ones. I plan on going hardcore and then hardcore oxygenarian through all the classes in order to get all of the different rewards.
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

RRR: I'm trying to ascend and the Sorcerous keeps beating the crap out of me. Any tips? I've tried going with info from spoiler sites but still can't do it. My character is a level 18 Disco Bandit.

JNSB: yes, the stats boost does cost the clan meat. I think we can afford to do it once in awhile, but I probably won't do it every day.

JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

okay, I can do meatsmithing now. Send me the ingredients and I'll smith for you (but I won't jones for you). I'm assuming everyone knows that they should have one chrome staff/sword/bow equipped during the rollover to get 3 extra adventures/day, and that only seal clubbers can smith them.

Edit: you need 45 base muscle to equip chrome staff or sword and 45 base moxie for chrome crossbow. I put a chrome staff in the storage for someone to use. Chrome ore is easy to buy in the mall and we have plenty of dense meat stacks and sticks/strings/sword hilts are available from the meatsmith in the Market Square. The tenderizing hammer is in the clan storage (I only take it out to use it and then put it right back).

[ August 30, 2005, 01:20 PM: Message edited by: JonnyNotSoBravo ]

sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Some things have changed, though. The Clockwork Maid is no longer made up of the meat angine and frilly skirt. That just gives me a meat maid body now. Where do you get the head? (nevermind, just followed RRR's link to the spoiler site).
Could you tell me what spoiler site that is? "Ages of Time" appears to be "ages" out of date and that's the one I used to go to. I couldn't find any hints on how Clockwork Maids get created now.
Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

here is the link RRR posted: link
You have to look under "CampgroundItems" to find the stuff about the Meat Maid. This site is not terribly user friendly. Sometimes I go back and use the ages of time site still, even though it's out of date because it's easier to use.

The Clockwork Maid is only available after Ascension now and gives 8 adventures per day. The Meat Maid is the substitute until then and gives 4 adventures per day.

lifeless Meat Maid body= meat engine + frilly skirt.
meat maid head = brainy skull(disembodied brain + smart skull) + maiden wig.
Meat Maid = lifeless meat maid body + meat maid head.

Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by CaySedai:
RRR: I'm trying to ascend and the Sorcerous keeps beating the crap out of me. Any tips? I've tried going with info from spoiler sites but still can't do it. My character is a level 18 Disco Bandit.

Hmm... I've never ascended as a disco bandit, but I'm attempting to right now on a multi as a hardcore boozetafarian and not having much success. If I had access to the mall I'd probably get a wolf mask and furry pants and just keep throwing torpedos and plot holes at her. Disco Face Stab also works pretty well. For accessories I usually go with an acid squirting flower and two amulets of extreme plot significance. For the familiar I think the best one is definitely the ghost pickle on a stick.

Oh, another site that may be helpful is the Visual KoL wiki.

Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
My character, Edaw, has applied to the new clan.
Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

Edaw is in. (I posted this once, but apparently clicked on "go" instead of "add reply" [Dont Know]
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

Hey, CaySedai, are you still trying to ascend? I managed to ascend with my disco bandit after like 20 tries. What I did was use an acid squirting flower, an amulet of extreme plot significance, and a moxie magnet. My familiar was a ghost pickle on a stick, and I used moxious maneuver over and over again plus one Doc Galactik potion and several plot holes at the end. I think it was just luck that my moxious maneuver hit as much as it did and my items didn't get blocked. Are you using the required weapon?
CaySedai
Member # 6459

I don't have a ghost pickle on a stick - I missed the opportunity when they were available.

I am using the required weapon, which doesn't work so well on the first 2 incarnations. A chrome crossbow works wonders, but then it doesn't work on the 3rd incarnation, and I can't switch mid-fight.

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
When I try to fight her, nothing works. My stupid familiar also doesn't do anything. [Grumble]
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

I started a new character - a sauceror. When she's high enough level (actually, when I have the meat to pay for it), I'll learn saucemastery and be able to make things like Hell Ramen so we can build up our supply a bit.
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

One of sndrake's chars could totally do that for us, and has in the past when the ingredients were in clan storage. If he's willing. [Smile]
sndrake
Member # 4941

Yeah - I have a pastamancer and a sauceror. I recently used both of them to cook up some Fetuccini Inconnu and Hell Ramen for the clan stash.

I'll check the stash by the weekend and see if there's more good stuff to make.

Our disco bandits can provide the same service with drinks.

Hopefully I'll finish closing out the Jatraquero clan stuff over the weekend and move my other chars over.

There will be substantial meat and material contributions to the stash when that happens. [Smile]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

Two new applications to the clan --

Fibblefeet and Breakwinder.

They're mine. And I'm not quite done yet. [Embarrassed]

CaySedai
Member # 6459

Fibblefeet and Breakwinder are in.
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

I finally gave in and bought a store...and wow is it addictive! I love arbitrage! Tell me all of your arbitrage secrets so I can make meeeeeeeeelyuns of meat!
sndrake
Member # 4941

what do you mean by "arbitrage"???

(I do OK with my store, but don't know what you are referring to here.)

JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

Arbitrage is buying low and selling high. It's finding those cheap items that sell for a low price at a limit of 1 per day that you know people need more than one of per day. Then you buy those items, jack up the price and sell it for just below the second lowest price (but which is considerably higher than the lowest price).

Arbitrage is basically like stock trading, with no products being made or introduced, but somehow someone makes money.

CaySedai
Member # 6459

Reviving this thread as a reminder: If you have a new character applying to the clan, please post here so we know who you are. Thanks.
CaySedai
Member # 6459

*Bump*

See previous post. [Big Grin]

sndrake
Member # 4941

Ok, finally...

Drakester and "Bringer" have applied for admission to the clan.

We come with meat and stuff for stash.

[Smile]

CaySedai
Member # 6459

That "Bringer" nick sounded familiar ... I recognized Drakester right away, but had to check here for "Bringer."
sndrake
Member # 4941

Something really bad happened...

Today's login screen...

quote:
Tuesday, October 25, 8:00PM:
Okay, so, I screwed something up. We're gonna take the game down until we can get it fixed. We're expecting it to probably be at least 24 hours.

Jick is very, very sorry about this.

sndrake
Member # 4941

An update from Jick, which looks like I might not have too much to worry about, but you players in Ascencion mode might have some problems...

quote:
Q: How many clicks does it take for Jick, when he's not paying enough attention, to destroy the contents of the primary database server.

A: Ask Mr. Owl.

O: One, Two, Three, Four. Four, because Jick is the biggest dumbass who has ever traversed this earth by shuffling his dumb, dumb buttocks in a grisly and pitiful parody of walking.

So, yeah. In an effort to drop a couple of tables from the database, I accidentally dropped the entire database. Which meant we had two options.

1) Get the host to try to undelete the files, since it was such that it required physical access to the box to attempt it, or

2) Restore from backups. This option is less desirable.

The first option proved impossible, partly because of technical issues, but mostly because of the host's antagonistic policies. Their techs are not allowed to interact with customer data in any way, due to "liability issues." We pressed the issue, but to no avail.

So, we have to restore from backup. We do two kinds of backups. Full backups, which are done during the times when rollover lasts a long time, and incremental "core data" backups that are done every night, about five hours after rollover.

The last full backup was done on September 6th. It had been a while, and I was getting nervous. That's why I announced a long rollover yesterday. Luckily, I managed to drop the database about 30 seconds before I was gonna back it up.

Ideally, this would've meant a one-day rollback. We'd have to manually process a day's worth of donations, and everybody would lose a day's progress, but not such a terrible thing, in the grand scheme of things.

In our less than ideal world, though, some stuff went wrong. There was an issue with the core backup that caused a couple of tables to not get backed up, and there were also a couple of other tables that had never been added to the core backup, since they were added since the last time I updated the backup script, which was towards the end of ascension testing. This is going to cause some data to revert to September 6th.

So, basically, here's what's gonna happen. As near as we can tell, inventory, player data, flags, quest status, all the core stuff, that'll swing back to what it was last night, five hours after rollover. Some people lose a day, some people don't. Mall store inventory is still up-to-date, since that's on the secondary server, along with kmail and a bunch of other stuff that wouldn't have been a big deal to lose.

However. This is where the groaning begins. There are a few important things that are gonna revert to September 6th, because they didn't, for one of the two reasons I described above, get saved during the nightly backup run. Notice how I use the passive voice to shift responsibility away from myself. I mean, notice how the passive voice is used by me.

Chief among them: Hagnk's. Yeah. I know. Ouch. Basically, your items in ascension storage will revert back to what they were 6 weeks ago. Which is gonna do, for a lot of people, one of two things: If somebody had stuff there yesterday that wasn't there six weeks ago, it'll be gone. And if somebody had stuff in there six weeks ago that is now in their inventory, it'll basically be duped.

Also, trade offers. This will also cause some duping and/or lost items, but it should be relatively minimal.

Also... and I know this is gonna hurt some people a lot, ascension records. We need to figure out what to do about this. A lot of the staff and dev team are in favor of a total reset on these, since they feel it'd be better than reversion. I'm open to suggestions from the community at large on how to handle it.

Last, but not least, some permanent skill data will be lost. We can reconstruct most of it. The worst case scenario will be the person who had a ton of softcore skills and was in Hardcore yesterday. Everybody else, we can reconstruct most, if not all of what was lost.

Right now (1PM my time on Wednesday,) what's going on is that we're actually restoring the data from last night's backup. It's been running all night, because apparently the scheme we used for backing stuff up is quick to dump it out, but incredibly slow to dump it back in. It's as aggravating for us as it is for you, because we can't really do ANYTHING until this is done.

I suppose this goes without saying, but I take full responsibility for this. It was a dumb mistake, and a series of prior dumb mistakes that screwed up the backup process. It wasn't Mr. Skullhead, it wasn't anybody else on the staff or the dev team, it was all me. And I will try to make it better.

We'll have some kind of special eventy type stuff after we see what kind of shape we're in, and at the very lest get everybody some sort of "I was there" bit of in-game goodies. Riff and I have a lot of time to sit around talking about stuff today while the restore runs, so I'm sure we'll come up with some kind of interesting narrative to provide an explanation for what happened and some nifty new content to soften the blow.

No idea how to end this. Thanks for your patience and support. We'll get through this together, us and y'all. You with your beverage or drug of choice, us with a mixture of equal parts coffee and Pepto-Bismol.

JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

*bump* For CT, and any new people.
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks! We'll apply to chapeaustand.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

*bump*

We've got a couple of unknown people applying for the chapeaustand clan. On the off chance those two are from here, I'm bumping this thread and asking for identification.

So, if you want to apply for the clan, let us know here and we'll let you in. We don't have restrictions on withdrawals from the clan stash, so we don't want to let someone in that we don't know, in case we get someone who just wants to loot the stash.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
They're both me. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
You're in and promoted to fedora.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for bumping this thread. I just finished the Questionable Content archives and needed something else to do while waiting for work to do.

This is an awesome game, I started about an hour ago and I just made it to level three and applied for membership in your clan. I would be honored if you would accept. [Smile]

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
After an arduous homework assignment on phonetics for my linguistics class, I thought some KoL goodness was just what I needed. I've applied to the clan and would love to be accepted.

Saucy Wenchlette

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Done and done.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you. As of yet, I have little to offer the clan, though I did contribute some meat. A paltry amount. I will however, offer more as I move up in the world.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

Thanks, Dana. I just wanted to be careful. Then I had to work today, and didn't get online until a few minutes ago.

The clan stash can be a great way to get items you might have a hard time/use many adventures on but you can return them when you are done with them. As I mentioned, our clan doesn't restrict withdrawals. So, don't be greedy, but also don't feel bad about taking stuff out. We're sure you'll put stuff back in.

Also, a bit of advice: if you are not doing hardcore runs, save your facsimile dictionary (don't sell it or anything) until you have ascended and go into your next run. It sells for 21337 meat, but is one item. When you remove items from Hangk's in ronin phase (20 items/20,000 meat or combination thereof per day), you can take this one item out and sell it.

(edited for clarification)

Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
<----Yodie
Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

Yodie now wears a fedora. [Wink]
CaySedai
Member # 6459

So ...

I spent a little money a couple of months ago for a Mr. A and traded it in for an astral badger. Which I named BadgerBadgerMushroom. And Cayla is trying to sing the song now. [Roll Eyes] [Eek!] [Angst]

TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
the_grimace, purplegrimace and swamivivekenanda will be apply shortly (hopefully to the correct clan)
Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
I finally managed to ascend MightyCow, and shortly thereafter realized that there were 15 levels with skills, and I only got up to 12.

Oh well, next ascension I'll get to 15.

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

I wouldn't consider the level 15 skills important to get until after you've had a few more ascensions. I'd get stuff like Pastamancery, Advanced Saucecrafting, Amphibian Sympathy, Empathy of the Newt, Leash of Linguini, Mad Looting Skillz, and Moxious Madrigal first.

(jadziadax in game)

CaySedai
Member # 6459

Grimace characters are in and fedora'd.
  This topic comprises 32 pages: 1  2  3  ...  27  28  29  30  31  32   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.