FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Kingdom of Loathing (Page 0)

This topic comprises 32 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  30  31  32   
Author Topic: The Kingdom of Loathing
Rotar Mode
Member # 9898

- posted      Profile for Rotar Mode   Email Rotar Mode         Edit/Delete Post 
This looks interesting. What in the world is it?
Posts: 155 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
Kingdom of Loathing is a multiplayer role-playing game. You choose a character from one of six classes, go through adventures and eventually defeat the Naughty Sorceress. Then you can ascend, coming back as any of the six classes again, plus keep one of the skills you acquired during that run. The more ascensions, the more permanent skills you have.

There's a KoL wiki with loads of information about the game. There are many spoiler sites, as well. [Wink]

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

I forgot to mention that the game is full of pop culture references and humor - which is a large part of its charm. The graphics are simple - stick figures. You can choose your gender, as well as character class. Your avatar changes appearance when you change equipment.
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm still in caveman crimbotown, but it's fun. I love it when they have new content. I tend to get bored of it every month or two, and then get back in a few months later when there are new things to explore.
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

MightyCow: Spoiler
you can have a chance to return to Crimbo Rock if you want later. You really shouldn't miss out on the Crimbotown Right-About-Now and Crimbotown Not-Too-Distant-Future.

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
I am going to be starting from scratch as Joe Lanless, and he'll apply to the HR clan ASAP. [Smile]
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone still up to making Ninja Pirate Zombie robots?
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

SM: Yes. I think the Choxie character still has all or most of the miscellaneous ingredients, plus a completed head. I can send them to you in the game. You use the head while you have all the parts and it assembles itself.

Which character should the parts go to: sarcasticmuppet or Sarmup? Once you assemble the robot, it can't be transferred, so the head and parts have to be sent, then the recipient assembles them.

Edited to add:
sarcasticmuppet: I see both your characters are in hardcore. When you get out of hardcore with the character you want to have the NPZR, let me know - message CaySedai in the game - and I'll send the stuff.

[ December 10, 2006, 09:57 PM: Message edited by: CaySedai ]

CaySedai
Member # 6459

The pirate robot head needs the following parts:
* 1 blundarrrbus (clan stash)
* 1 cheap toaster (nontransferable but retrievable through shore adventures)
* 1 chest of the Bonerdagon (nontransferable but retrievable through finishing cyrpt quest)
* 1 clockwork claws (in stock)
* 1 clockwork sheet (in stock)
* 1 clockwork spine (in stock)
* 1 disembodied brain (clan stash)
* 1 frigid ninja stars (in stock)
* 1 icy-hot katana (clan stash)
* 1 pine tar (clan stash)
* 1 skeleton bone (clan stash)
* 1 spiked femur (clan stash)
* 1 star throwing star (out but can be created with stars and lines, with star chart)
* 1 teeny-tiny ninja stars (clan stash)

I don't have all the parts, but I'm working on it. I had them and assembled a robot and found out I couldn't deposit it in the clan or anything, so Choxie has a npzr.

I just got the clockwork stuff. Teeny-tiny ninja stars are dropped in the spooky gravy barrow, which means someone who is a muscle sign (and ascended) will have to provide that. I think the rest of the items can be achieved through adventuring in regular places.

[ December 10, 2006, 09:51 PM: Message edited by: CaySedai ]

CaySedai
Member # 6459

Just a reminder: If you apply to the Chapeaustand clan on Kingdom of Loathing, please let us know who you are. We're pretty trusting with the clan stash but we're keeping it in the (Hatrack) family as far as I know.

We've got a pending application, which is why I bring this up. [Wink]

CaySedai
Member # 6459

Our Founding Father, Dana, is awol. The clan leadership has transferred to me. This goes back to an update from Nov. 17, 2006.
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
[Razz]

I haven't been playing much, but I tried to log in at least once a month to keep "active." I guess I missed.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

Dana:

I figured you had been busy - especially with John. I understand. I just didn't know what you wanted me to do with this. I tried to e-mail you, but it bounced back to me.

So, what would you like? If you log back in and are active, I can transfer leadership back to you. I suggest we get at least one more person with some leadership powers in case this happens again or something happens to me. "I could get hit by a bus tomorrow ... " (actually there aren't too many buses around, so I'm not too worried about that.)

I could keep leadership if you want, but will gladly hand it back if you want. You founded the clan, so it's your call.

dkw
Member # 3264

You can keep it, you were doing most of it anyway. I can re-activate and be in line to have it bounce back if you stop playing for awhile.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

Okay. I did create a mid-level class called Stetson that has some powers and asked for volunteers to take that level. I only want main characters, though, to avoid duplication.

Anyway, have fun with that son of yours. Those moments are way more important than KoL.

Griffin
Member # 7166

- posted      Profile for Griffin   Email Griffin         Edit/Delete Post 
I created an account, my name is typelogin
Posts: 131 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

Griffin, you can apply to the Chapeaustand clan if you wish. We don't limit withdrawals from the clan stash, but we do expect people to be reasonable (ie not take everything). [Wink]
Griffin
Member # 7166

I (typelogin) joined because my friend soth13 created a clan and asked me to join. The name is The Legend of Hyde and Vredenburg. But CaySedai, If it ever dies I will gladly join the Hatrack clan, Chapeaustand, (unless N.O. gives me an offer).

~typelogin~

edit: 100 posts after 2 1/2 years [Laugh]

Posts: 131 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm doing softcore with Sarcasticmuppet and sent choxie a message re: NPZRs. I'm happy to volunteer with the sarcasticmuppet handle -- I've donated with it so it won't ever disappear.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

sarcasticmuppet: replied and sent as much stuff as I could. I think you can get the rest of the stuff, but if you need help, message CaySedai in the game.
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
<-- Mucous
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lissande
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for Lissande   Email Lissande         Edit/Delete Post 
I just applied with the character Lisicka. I'm about to complete my first ascension and have decided to go softcore with her. *wave*
Posts: 2762 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

Lisicka is in. (also Mucous)
Lissande
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for Lissande   Email Lissande         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks. I will try to be a good fedora!
Posts: 2762 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
Huh. I just logged in as drakester and it let me do it. I haven't logged in to KOL for at least 5 months.

I'm thinking of playing him since he is inexplicably still active. I just gotta figure out how to get past the Sorceress so I can go on to the next phase of the game.

(I tried checking out the Grim Grimacite but was chased away. Wassup with that?)

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Griffin
Member # 7166

Hehe, it's gone...
CaySedai
Member # 6459

There are spoilers at this site. Also, the KoL wiki. And I check ahead for stat days here.
CaySedai
Member # 6459

sndrake: have you ever donated or purchased a Mr. Store item? That will prevent your character from being deleted.
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Kwea...re-applying as....Kwea. [Wink]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Or I will once I am high enough level. [Smile]

Again.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

Kwea:

I sent you a K-mail.

Kwea
Member # 2199

Thanks!
sndrake
Member # 4941

quote:
sndrake: have you ever donated or purchased a Mr. Store item? That will prevent your character from being deleted.
I think that probably explains it. I am pretty sure I bought an item or two at Mr. Store. Made a fair amount of meat between my store and some gambling.

I finally got past the Sorceress - and am on my first ascension. Doing it in hardcore mode for the sheer cussedness of it. [Wink]

Thanks!

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

I'm using two characters - one hardcore and one softcore. It's no surprise I ascend a lot faster in softcore than hardcore - for one thing, I can get all my stuff out of Hagnk's and not have to go farming for items.
Griffin
Member # 7166

I don't like softcore, it's too fast. HC is me!

edit: NS 13 should help slow things down in one month...

CaySedai
Member # 6459

Have they posted an announcement about that? Never mind, I'll go check. [Wink]
sndrake
Member # 4941

Couldn't help it. I created another one.

That character named "the_draker" who just applied to the clan is me. [Smile]

Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Another character by the name of "LactoseTheIntolerant" [Smile]
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

I am in...I joined last week, but forgot to post about it. [Smile]
CaySedai
Member # 6459

Reviving this thread because we've had an application to the Chapeaustand clan. Does anyone vouch for "Twolly"?

I've sent the person a message asking if they know anyone in the clan. Thanks.

CaySedai
Member # 6459

Never mind - it's OatmealFairy's multi. She should have mentioned it to me.
sndrake
Member # 4941

For anyone playing...

The countdown to NS13 is underway!

Already a storm (which is probably nothing to worry about) is hovering over the kingdom. The Grim Grimacite Site is now open to adventurers. No one is sure what to do with chunks of depleted grimacite that are among the item drops gotten by doing battle with the Penguin Mafia.

Here's what Jick says is ahead for NS13:

quote:
What is NS13?
NS13 represents a complete paradigm shift, full of hyper-evolved Web 2.0-enabled RPG synergy. It's also a great big content update for KoL. Biggest one ever. Bigger even than the ascension rollout, in terms of sheer volume of new stuff.

What are we adding?

The most obvious change is that the Naughty Sorceress quest is moving to level 13, and there are two new Council quests for levels 11 and 12. They're both huge, sprawling, epic, and come equipped with several chocks full of awesomeness. This awesomeness includes:

*A bunch of new zones. Let's call it 30ish.
*More than 400 new items, over 100 new monsters, and at least 20 new trophies.
*Content additions to many of the early-game Council quests.
*A brand-new Guild quest, with a new boss and some neat rewards.
*New, more interesting challenges and rewards in Fernswarthy's Basement.
*A completely revamped and content-rich Bounty Hunter Hunter.
*Small content updates in nearly every existing zone.
*A new Casual ascension type -- no Ronin, no Hagnk's, just reincarnate and keep playing.
*A super-awesome, super-secret, super-new ascension type -- the long pined-for totally level playing field.
And more!

CaySedai
Member # 6459

I'm trying to ascend three characters before NS-13 rolls out. I've got my main character, which always plays hardcore, then two softcore characters. One I had passed off to my daughter who then decided she doesn't want to play. [Dont Know] My hardcore character (CaySedai) is going for two trophies, and needs about six more pounds of familiar weight for one, then I have to remember to ascend with my 20-lb stab bat for the other. I was also going for the Level 30 trophy, but won't make that one. Next time, maybe.
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] I've earned my worm riding hooks. I love this game.
Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

Worm riding hooks? I'll have to find out about that.
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
Alas, I was only allowed one worm ride. [Frown]
Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

My account has been deleted for lack of participation.

I guess I'll start over.

CaySedai
Member # 6459

Dana: I can send you an item that you keep through a rollover, then send it back.

From the KoL wiki:
Having a Mr. Store item, familiar, or skill at rollover will cause your account to have the 'nodelete' flag set, so it will not ever be deleted due to inactivity. When this happens, the message, "This account will not be deleted from inactivity" will be displayed at the bottom of the account menu.

I have spent a few dollars for Mr. Accessories which I have traded in on various items. I can't send familiars, but I have familiar equipment and other equipment that can be sent.

dkw
Member # 3264

That would be lovely. My character is also named Dana.
CaySedai
Member # 6459

I whitelisted you so you will join the clan automatically. I'll send you a Mayflower bouquet. Keep it for a couple of days, check "account" to make sure it has the no delete message, then send it back. [Wink]
  This topic comprises 32 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  30  31  32   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.