FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Kingdom of Loathing (Page 3)

This topic comprises 32 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  30  31  32   
Author Topic: The Kingdom of Loathing
Azile
Member # 2312

- posted      Profile for Azile   Email Azile         Edit/Delete Post 
I applied as Pizza the Accordian Thief lv3. I usually post under Chizpurfle but am using this sn currently to reaffirm my Hatrack status- if only as a lurker.

So yeah, can I join? [Smile]

Posts: 181 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
You have been admitted.

The only pending member at the moment is Colapsaar, who has until 4PM EST on June 28th to post here and identify themself before I reject them. [Smile]

Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
I just submitted a request to join. My character's name is DerrellF
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm Colapsaar...
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peter the bookie
Member # 3270

- posted      Profile for peter the bookie           Edit/Delete Post 
Cool, then everyone who's applied is now in.
Posts: 318 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
I just applied a few minutes ago! [Smile]
Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
Who is Captain Obvious?
Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, duuuuh.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
If anyone really knows who Captain Obvious is, please tell me.

By the way, my accordion thief finally reached 7th level, and promptly breezed through the quest in the Valley of Rof L'm Fao. That is now officially my favorite area in the game. Full of Flaming Trolls, XXX pr0ns, Spam Witches, Anime Smileys, etc. And the quest reward is jaw-droppingly fantastic. Best part of all is the weapon you use to beat all those monsters. Hilarious!

Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Captain Obvious is Tom. He has a Capt. Obvious in City of Heroes as well.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

REJECTED!
Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
I am waiting anxiously for midnight. I used all my turns already!

space opera [Frown]

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Happy Camper
Member # 5076

- posted      Profile for Happy Camper   Email Happy Camper         Edit/Delete Post 
Hehe, Leo just hit level 4 today and promptly proceeded to get his butt kicked in all of the areas he opened up. Guess those council quests will have to wait a while.
Posts: 609 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
HelllllooOOOoooOOooooooo.... can I be in the clan, please?

You don't really want me to take my membership elsewhere, do you?

DO YOU?

[Angst]

Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

uh, i didn't see any open applications last time i looked, have you applied?

also, the membership page is giving me an error, so i can't process anyone until that's fixed.

T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Im playing. Started today. Reached level 2, and have one more mystical point before level three. Used all my turns though.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
Hah! I just acquired a clockwork maid! +4 adventures/day!
Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Azile
Member # 2312

- posted      Profile for Azile   Email Azile         Edit/Delete Post 
...and you donated that to the clan?! *eye twitches*

I am as new as most people here to this game and I'm not quite sure if that item is actually as good as it sounds to a n00b like me or whether it is a something you found somewhere or something you bought, but from my perspective (as a person who wastes her daily adventures in minutes)- what were you thinking, man?! *hits Mr. F in the back of the head* Damn you. I guess I will have to correct this grievous blunder of yours and send the clock maiden back to it's rightful owner.

Into the hands of me.

Kidding! Kidding! Stop... throwing your tomatoes at me! Your precious clock maiden shall remain untouched (untainted, unsullied, pure or whatever)! [Razz]

[ June 29, 2004, 06:05 AM: Message edited by: Azile ]

Posts: 181 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peter the bookie
Member # 3270

is there a JadziaDax in the house?
Posts: 318 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

JadziaDax (Rappin Ronnie Reagan) is in.
peter the bookie
Member # 3270

I love that I'm drunk and beaten up before 9 am.
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
How are these people getting so much cool stuff? And like 6 gazillion meat?

The character who beat me up recently was a 3rd level pastamancer with an Xtreme Staff, a shiny ring. . .

I got beat up by a PASTAMANCER!!!! THIRD LEVEL!!!

She's got more than 7000 meat to her name! How is that possible?

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

I think there are hacks and cheats that can be used (illegally) in this game, but I haven't come across them yet. I think that the person you encountered is either exploiting one, or has powerful friends that have given him/her a ton of stuff he/she wouldn't normally have access to.

Unfortunately, you do not have powerful friends. You have a bunch of really weak, but well-intentioned, friends.

I don't have the problem you mentioned, because I haven't smashed my hippy stone yet. I'm not very interested in player vs player combat.

Scott R
Member # 567

I was curious as to what would happen if I did that. . .
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Human
Member # 2985

- posted      Profile for Human   Email Human         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a question...i'm up to Level Four now, and can go places like the Cobb's Knob Kitchens and Degrassi Knoll...but I always get beat up. I can't seem to land a hit on the enemies before they hit me for all my HP.

What do I need to improve/aquire?

Posts: 3658 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

At level four, you're most likely not ready for the Cobb's Knob Kitchens. However, keep trying Degrassi Knoll. You have two important quests to complete there. Take along a familiar, and don't be afraid to retreat and rest in your campground if you're dying. If you really can make NO progress at all, just go somewhere else for a while. Do you have any other quests outstanding that you haven't completed yet?
peter the bookie
Member # 3270

Ok, I am an idiot of gargantuan proportions. Where is Degrassi Knoll?

Scott, I wandered around on their forum enough to never want to smash my stone.

[ June 29, 2004, 11:10 AM: Message edited by: peter the bookie ]

Scott R
Member # 567

Degrassi Knoll is in the Plains, but you have to be above a certain level to get there.

EDIT: Yeah. . . Wishing I hadn't right now. I get the feeling that I'm going to be beat up a bunch.

[ June 29, 2004, 11:12 AM: Message edited by: Scott R ]

peter the bookie
Member # 3270

Ok, I'll get there eventually, then. I'm kind of trying to not level at the moment. My stats are getting far too skewed for my liking.
Human
Member # 2985

Two quests? You mean the Council of Loathing ones?
Posts: 3658 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

Your stats are supposed to get skewed. Each class has a main stat, and that stat will always tend to grow much faster than the other two. In fact, there are areas where you can go just to exercise that main stat. That, after all, is the way you level up.

As for the quests at Degrassi Knoll: one of them comes from the Council - getting the parts to build the Meatcar. The other comes from the Untinker, on the Right Side of the Tracks in Town.

Scott R
Member # 567

About places to go to exercise your main attribute:

Strengthliness: Grassy Knoll, Cobb Knob
Mysticality: Haunted Pantry, Spooky Woods
Moxie: Back Alley, Haunted Pantry, Spooky Woods.

peter the bookie
Member # 3270

Maybe I should rephrase that as, I'm hanging out in areas where I'm more likely to get stronger than more moxie. Since I can't do much in the areas I've unlocked due to being a pansy.

*dances through thread tossing flowers at other players*

UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

Muscle may help you damage monsters, but moxie gives you more life, which will let you survive longer until you can actually kill the monster. I have often found that my Accordion Thief, with lots of moxie but less muscle, often outfights my Turtle Tamer and Seal Clubber, with lots of muscle but not as much moxie and thus not as much life. Don't be afraid of boosting your moxie.

Besides, I have also found that going up a level often makes previously difficult areas suddenly much easier. I don't know how to account for that, but it's true.

Anyway, as Scott said, if you really want to focus on your muscle, hang around Cobb's Knob.

Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
So, can I combine anything with my gourd potions to make them better or should I just quaff them as is? I've been saving them but I wonder if I shouldn't just drink the darn things.
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Human
Member # 2985

Woot! I have a gnollish autoplunger now!

Problem is...not strong enough to use it yet...dang it!

Happy Camper
Member # 5076

- posted      Profile for Happy Camper   Email Happy Camper         Edit/Delete Post 
Also keep in mind, I think, that moxie determines how often you'll hit, and how often you'll be hit. So having extraordinarily high moxie will help keep you alive in that regard too. You'll just be hitting for piddly amounts of damage if your muscularity stinks. My Accordian Thief can survive fairly well in some rough areas, but it takes forever to actually win a battle, because I'm doing one damage. My mosquito generally kills things before I do.
Posts: 609 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

Drink your gourd potions immediately! There's no good reason to save them.
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
According to a FAQ that I saw, Moxie determines how likely it is that your enemy will miss, but Muscularity determines both how likely it is that you will hit as well as how much damage you do.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Happy Camper
Member # 5076

Hmmm, yeah, that might explain why me and a bat of some sort kept whiffing on each other. Skull bat I think. Oh, and if anyone is having issues with the Slug Lord's map, I have something that might help.

[ June 29, 2004, 12:50 PM: Message edited by: Happy Camper ]

UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

Who is Mindsweeper?
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Also me.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

Okay, Mindsweeper is in.
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, Azile, with the clockwork stuff, I had two. And I gave one of them to the clan. But I think somebody already grabbed it. [Razz]
Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Human
Member # 2985

Okay, I've got everything for the car...but the rims. Does anyone have rims? Anyone?
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

It took me a long time to figure out the rims. It's a trick. The rims aren't at Degrassi Knoll. The Hermit has them. Remember back to your tutorial: buy a hermit permit and chewing gum on a string, go to the sewer and get a worthless item, go to the hermit in the mountains and trade him the item for the rims. While you're there, make a note of the rest of the items he has. Most of them can be found nowhere else, and may be needed later. You will be going back to him from time to time to get other stuff.
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Happy Camper, I would like a little help with the slug lord map. My name is Thunders Core. I just applied to join the clan and I have no turns left today, unless I drink some more. So go ahead and send me whatever the heck I need.

Side note to the clan, I've already donated 100 meat, so come on, let me in. [Wink]

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Happy Camper
Member # 5076

I guess you probably already know what you're looking for. I'll send it to you, from either Leovinus or The HC. Can't recall who has it.
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

Thunders Core is in.
Scott R
Member # 567

To get to the hermit, you have to get a 'worthless trinket.' They are not always found in the sewer-- I've found some in either the haunted pantry or in the alley (can't remember which).

I wish I could. . .

This topic comprises 32 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  30  31  32   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.