FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » 288,000+ dead, thousands still missing - 9.0 earthquake off coast of Sumatra (Page 2)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: 288,000+ dead, thousands still missing - 9.0 earthquake off coast of Sumatra
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, actually, I was just using inappropriate humor to deal with the horror unfolding in Asia. Sorry. That and obsessiveness is a quirk of mine. If I can spend my time and energy obsessing about things that will never happen, it leaves me with less time on my hands to obsess about the truly horrific things that are happening.
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
La Palma, right. Thanks, that was on the tip of my tongue, but I couldn't come up with it. I agree, that thing scares the crap out of me, both as a possible natural disaster and as a possible terrorist's tool. I've emailed back and forth with the guy doing most of the research on La Palma, and he is pretty skeptical at the idea of any macroengineering project doing anything to lessen the threat. I'm not so sure, but I'll readily admit that he knows more about it than I do.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm kind of hoping we don't do any construction there. That would be likely to trigger the avalanche, wouldn't it?

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Yeah, I'd think so. You mentioned that last time it came up too, I believe.

Bean Counter, I bumped the thread on La Palma--it's called "Global Geophysical Events"

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bean Counter
Member # 6001

- posted      Profile for Bean Counter           Edit/Delete Post 
I do not know how deep the water is offshore but I imagined a seawall, standing a mile or more off the coast with all the water pumped out of it. It would be essentially a huge coffer dam like those used to work on pilings and such. Admittedly it would be a massive undertaking, but Given that the alternative is to lose the eastern seaboard, Rio, London, and all the real cool beaches in Spain, I think it would be a worthwhile project. Especially since it supposedly started slipping in the 40's!

BC

[ December 26, 2004, 03:41 PM: Message edited by: Bean Counter ]

Posts: 1249 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
I heard at church this morning...how horrifying. quid, I am so glad you and your family are OK.
Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bean Counter
Member # 6001

I think mine would work better then those listed, the danger is not in the collapse but in the hydraulic transmission of the energy, remove the water and the problem is gone. (like an empty hydraulic hose) Still a huge undertaking, also lowering the sea level around the Island is bound to lower the water table on the Island as a bonus!

BC

Posts: 1249 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Hmmm - wouldn't the fall still trigger movement in the earth's crust that would be transmitted to the dam and, potentially, the water outside it?

I don't know enough about physics to figure this out.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

There's Something Strange Happening With the Sea

quote:
I was taking my morning swim around the island that my businessman-brother Geoffrey bought on a whim a decade ago and turned into a tropical paradise just 200 yards from one of the world's most beautiful beaches on the Sri Lankan mainland.

I was a quarter way around the island when I heard my brother shouting at me, "Come back! Come back! There's something strange happening with the sea." He was swimming behind me, but closer to the shore.

I couldn't understand what the fuss was about. All seemed peaceful. There was barely a ripple in the sea.

Then I noticed that the water around me was rising, climbing up the rock walls of the island with astonishing speed. The vast circle of golden sand around Welligama Bay was disappearing rapidly, and the water had reached the level of the coastal road fringed with palm trees.

As I swam to shore, my mind was momentarily befuddled by two conflicting impressions: the idyllic blue sky and the rapidly rising waters.

In less than a minute, the water level had risen at least 15 feet -- but the sea itself remained calm, barely a wave in sight.

Within minutes, the beach and the area behind it had become an inland sea, rushing over the road and pouring into the flimsy houses on the other side. The speed with which it all happened seemed like a scene from the Bible -- a natural phenomenon unlike anything I had experienced before.

As the waters rose at an incredible rate, I half expected to catch sight of Noah's Ark.

Instead of the Ark, I grabbed hold of a wooden catamaran that the local people used as a fishing boat. My brother jumped on the boat, next to me. We bobbed up and down on the catamaran, as the water rushed past us into the village beyond the road.

After a few minutes, the water stopped rising, and I felt it was safe to swim to the shore. What I didn't realize was that the floodwaters would recede as dramatically as they had risen.

All of a sudden, I found myself being swept out to sea with startling speed. Although I am a fairly strong swimmer, I was unable to withstand the current. The fishing boats around me had been torn from their moorings and were furiously bobbing up and down.

For the first time, I felt afraid, powerless to prevent myself from being swept out to sea.

Bean Counter
Member # 6001

It is the displacement of water that is the danger, if a long-run-out occurred and the dam was reached and even breached and then the rock stopped and the sea rushed in the result would be much less displacement. Think of it as digging a hole for the rock to fall into without touching the ocean until the collapse is done. Essentially a landlocked landslide. You would not expect a mountain collapsing in Montana to knock down houses in Iowa.

BC

[ December 26, 2004, 04:11 PM: Message edited by: Bean Counter ]

quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
From here.
quote:
Government officials lamented that if Sri Lanka was on the International Coordination Group for the Tsunami Warning System then the impact would not have been this ‘terrible’. “We cannot prevent natural disasters, but we can minimize their impact,” he said. The Tsunami system predicts where tsunamis will strike up to 14 hours in advance.
It's also now been upgraded to a 9.0 in magnitude.
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
AFTERSHOCKS:

Magnitude date time location
6.1 27 12 2004 0:49:27 ANDAMAN ISLANDS, INDIA REGION
6 27 12 2004 0:32:13 NORTHERN SUMATRA, INDONESIA
5.6 26 12 2004 19:03:47 OFF THE WEST COAST OF NORTHERN SUMATRA
5.6 26 12 2004 15:12:21 NICOBAR ISLANDS, INDIA REGION
5.7 26 12 2004 15:06:33 OFF THE WEST COAST OF NORTHERN SUMATRA
5.9 26 12 2004 14:48:42 ANDAMAN ISLANDS, INDIA REGION
5.9 26 12 2004 13:56:37 OFF THE WEST COAST OF NORTHERN SUMATRA
5.5 26 12 2004 12:11:56 ANDAMAN ISLANDS, INDIA REGION
6.3 26 12 2004 11:05:01 ANDAMAN ISLANDS, INDIA REGION
6.2 26 12 2004 10:19:30 ANDAMAN ISLANDS, INDIA REGION
5.5 26 12 2004 10:18:13 NICOBAR ISLANDS, INDIA REGION
6.5 26 12 2004 9:20:01 NICOBAR ISLANDS, INDIA REGION
5.8 26 12 2004 7:38:25 ANDAMAN ISLANDS, INDIA REGION
5.7 26 12 2004 7:07:10 ANDAMAN ISLANDS, INDIA REGION
5.7 26 12 2004 6:21:58 ANDAMAN ISLANDS, INDIA REGION
7.3 26 12 2004 4:21:26 NICOBAR ISLANDS, INDIA REGION
6.1 26 12 2004 3:08:42 ANDAMAN ISLANDS, INDIA REGION
5.9 26 12 2004 2:59:12 OFF THE WEST COAST OF NORTHERN SUMATRA
6 26 12 2004 2:51:59 ANDAMAN ISLANDS, INDIA REGION
5.8 26 12 2004 2:36:06 ANDAMAN ISLANDS, INDIA REGION
5.8 26 12 2004 2:34:50 OFF THE WEST COAST OF NORTHERN SUMATRA
6 26 12 2004 2:22:02 NICOBAR ISLANDS, INDIA REGION
5.8 26 12 2004 2:15:58 ANDAMAN ISLANDS, INDIA REGION
5.9 26 12 2004 1:48:47 NORTHERN SUMATRA, INDONESIA
9 26 12 2004 0:58:51 OFF THE WEST COAST OF NORTHERN SUMATRA

All taken from here.

This is now the fourth largest earthquake in recorded history as it's been upgraded to a 9.0 in magnitude.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
(((all quake victims and families)))

Oh, they'll be having aftershocks for awhile. I was in the Sylmar earthquake (southern California) of 1971. We lived about 10 miles as the crow flies from the epicenter of that one. It was only a 6.6, and I can recall feeling the ground shake constantly for at least an hour after the quake. Then, we had aftershocks for months afterward. The scariest one was either the night of the quake or the next night, when I could actually hear the aftershock coming for about five minutes before it actually hit.

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

One family in the Negombo branch and one family in the Colombo 2 branch are now homeless, but we haven't heard from all our members yet. I expect there will be more. The family from our Colombo 2 branch slept at the church last night - there was no where else for them to go.

This morning, the LDS Humanitarian Aid missionaries in Colombo (we have another set in Negombo) are visiting the various aid agencies to find out what the needs are so they know what to donate. I don't know what their budget is, but they will be able to provide much rice, milk powder, jam, and other ediblese to people in need. When the flooding happened in Bangladesh, they went there, as well, to buy food and supplies for the people.

We're starting to organize donations of clothing and other things for people who have literally nothing but the shirts on their backs. I'm the Relief Society president in the Colombo 1 branch, so I suspect I'll be rather busy. Luckily, my 1st counsellor doesn't work and she's already moving on getting things organized, without any prodding from me at all.

Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
God Bless, Quid, and I hope it all works out for your family.

What a horrible thing to happen..

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Man, 9.0. When was the last time the world experienced a quake of that magnitude?

If anyone wants to read a meticulously researched, technically accurate novel about the effects were a quake to strike at Missouri's New Madrid Fault, take a look at Walter Jon William's The Rift. It's not a bad (but also not great) novel, but as I said, he definitely did his homework.

Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
Check out this cnn article. This quote in particular:

quote:
Some of the tsunamis reached as far as 1,600 kilometers (91,000 miles) from the epicenter of the 9.0 magnitude quake
They got the kilometre to mile conversion right later in the same article. Kind of funny. Probably just a typo, with an accidental 9 in front of the 1000.

Alright, I'm just putting the article here, because firefox sucks.

[ December 27, 2004, 01:28 AM: Message edited by: Fitz ]

Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
I've been thinking a lot today about the town I went to school in, Galveston, Texas. It really is an island near Houston and they had a huge flood in 1900 that killed over 6,000 people.

http://www.owlnet.rice.edu/~geol108/yoon/galveston_flood_1900.htm

It wasn't an earthquake, though, just a bad storm.

Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

I heard a thing on NPR about it. It was one of those National Geographic Radio Expeditions. I was completely floored by the account of this storm. I'd never even heard of it until the radio piece.
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
quid, this is the first I've been able to get on Hatrack since I heard the news. I'm glad to know you're okay.

We'll be praying for everyone in the area. Thank you for all your news.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
A fault line is just two plates of the Earth, that due to differing magma currents underneath, want to move in two, non-conforming directions. The existence of the other plate (and friction) halts that motion, but the pressure builds up until they can’t stop it anymore, and then a dramatic motion of plates occurs. Now the earthquake causes three kinds of motion along the fault line, a lateral motion that moves up and down the line (this within the horizontal plane of the Earth): the primary movement. The secondary movement takes two forms, one of which is perpendicular to the primary motion and still within the plane of the Earth. These two motions are pretty much fine in terms of oceanic disturbances, they wouldn’t hurt anyone. It’s the third motion (the second kind of secondary motion) that’s the problem. Vertical displacement of the bottom of the ocean as a result of the Earthquake.

Now big waves at sea, ones that can damage ships, thing like hurricanes, are caused by wind. The friction between the moving air and water rips the water up and causes massive topside waves, the top of the oceans is being messed around with. This is, however just a small fraction of the ocean, and when it reaches land it’ll stop shortly because it’s not a true rise in water level, instead it’s the teasing of the top, not a true massive movement of water. This is of course, also very devastating, but it’s effects are limited in terms of flood for that reason.

Now a tsunami from an earthquake, what happens is that the vertical land motion cause the entire height of the sea to turn into one large wave. Out in the ocean you wouldn’t notice this things, because there’s plenty of room for it. The Ocean is just moving along at the same height, the giant wave of water coming inward is about the same height as the ocean it’s moving through, so there’s no problem. But as it approaches land, it’s depth is decreased when the ocean floor slopes upwards. This massive front of water has no where to go but up, and the tremendous pressure pushing it has no problem causing the water to rise with the ocean’s surface, so the incredibly powerful force of water drives itself into the air, tens of feet (and sometimes more) above the regular ocean level. This doesn’t stop when it reaches land. The water continues to surge forward until it runs out of steam and new water to drag with it.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bean Counter
Member # 6001

Does anybody else find the changing body count icky?

BC

Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quid, this is the first I've been able to get on Hatrack since I heard the news. I'm glad to know you're okay.
Ditto.

The enormity of this is staggering. I'm having a hard time processing it.

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Personally, I find the whole thing icky.

I talked to one woman from church this morning, Shanika. On her way home - she lives fairly close to the ocean, perhaps a kilometer or two away - she passed by people who were maimed, lying on the road. Others who were begging because they'd lost everything. Others, still in shock, asking for help finding their family members.

I read one news report that said Colombo was not affected. It's hogwash. Colombo is not as bad as the east and south, that is true. But there's still flooding and devastation here as well.

Our branch presidencies and district presidencies, along with the humanitarian missionaries, have been out and about this morning, visiting aid agencies to assess need. Locally, we need to donate clothing and dry rations - rice, flour, sugar, lentils, milk powder, and the like. Fresh food has been donated, so for today anyway - and in Colombo, I ain't talking about the rest of the country - the food situation is okay. We only have branches in Colombo (2), Negombo (further north along the west coast), and Kandy (centre of the country). We have no church members on the east coast.

Already, India, Japan, the US, and other countries have sent aid in the form of money, food, helicopters, and more.

We need doctors and medicine. Very badly. Many areas in the east where the worst damage is have no doctors. Warnings have also been issued that, if the medical infrastructure isn't set up and medical care issued to people who need it, and basic sanitation set up, we could also be facing epidemics. This is, however, more of a concern for Thailand and Indonesia than Sri Lanka from what I'm reading.

quidscribis
Member # 5124

News reports within Sri Lanka say that that there are 4900 dead in Sri Lanka with an additional 10,500 missing. Although later in the same page, it indicates 6500 dead in Sri Lanka. Still, with that large a number of missing people, the dead count could still double. Or more.

Also, Indonesia is estimated to also have a million homeless. That's in addition to the million or more who are now homeless in Sri Lanka.

ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

- posted      Profile for ReikoDemosthenes   Email ReikoDemosthenes         Edit/Delete Post 
oh wow...this is...almost beyond belief...
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

quote:
Sri Lanka’s death toll likely to be in the range of 10,000 to 12,000 latest reports
Alladin Hussein in Colombo, December 27, 2004, 4.10 p.m.. The aftermath of the tidal wave terror in Sri Lanka continued with reports claiming that the death toll could be around the 10,000 to 12,000 mark. According to police sources the death toll in the Ampara district (Eastern province) alone is around the 4000 mark. Another 2000 at least is feared to have died in the Hambantota, Tangalle and Kataragama areas. Meanwhile, in Batticaloa already 650 bodies have been found, while in Jaffna another 149 have been found. The death toll in Trincomalee is nearly 600, and includes four Indian tourists. Another 900 dead bodies are there at the Galle’s Karapitiya hospital. Reports also stated that 750 bodies have been found in the Mullaitivu area and at least another 1000 are feared dead in Vuvniya and Killinochchi. However, the search for bodies is continuing and police said that hundreds more will be found within the next few days at the end of the search.

Taken from here.
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quid, your link had a "donate via us" link, as did a number of sites I've seen today. But it's hard for me to know which of these are reliable, and able to effectively funnel funds where they are needed.

Do you have a suggestion? The Red Cross? Some other organization(s)?

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

That's a good question, a really really good question, and I don't have an answer for that right now. That would, therefore, be the next thing for me to research. Let me look around.

Having said that, the LDS church will be spending money here, so donations through your tithing slip will make it here. What amount I don't know yet. Of course, that only applies to those who are LDS. [Big Grin]

I'll see what I can find out and post something for you. But a general guide - unfortunately - is that if the donation site is Sri Lankan, don't trust it. We have no controls in place like the US and Canada do to regulate charitable organizations, and they tend to be, uh, slippery. Is that a descriptive enough word?

quidscribis
Member # 5124

I have no idea of what value for the dollar you get with any aid agency, so if you find another agency that will help out in south Asia and you get better bang for your buck, hey, feel free. I honestly don't care who you donate through. Just please donate whatever you can handle.

It appears from this article that the red cross will definitely be in Sri Lanka and other points in south Asia.

I also saw an article on the Australian Red Cross that they're looking for donations for this as well.

quote:
PETER CAVE: The International Federation of the Red Cross has also made a preliminary appeal for US $6.5-million, to help those affected by the tsunami. It's sending a team of health and welfare experts into the area to ascertain what is needed.

Reporter Brigid Glanville spoke to Marie-Francoise Borel from the Red Cross in Geneva.

MARIE-FRANCOISE BOREL: That'll help about 5,000 people, and it will bring immediate support to relief operations that have already been started by the Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies in Sri Lanka and India, Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, and other countries in the region after they were hit by this quake and the huge tidal waves.

BRIGID GLANVILLE: Where you can see this money being most needed?

MARIE-FRANCOISE BOREL: Well the basic needs right now for the victims in this first emergency phase are shelter, so perhaps we need some tents and blankets, clean water, food, family utensils, and probably mosquito nets.

As far as health is concerned, the biggest challenge we are facing is the spread of water borne diseases, particularly malaria and diarrhoea, and we could also run the risk of having respiratory tract infections.

So what we have done is, the International Federation is sending in tomorrow medical supplies for about 100,000 people into Sri Lanka, and also some extra medicines to treat up to 2,000 possible cases of diarrhoeal diseases.

We're also sending in an international team of coordination and relief evaluation, which will be leaving in the next few hours. Now, that will help to try and ascertain what the needs are. The big problem we have now is, as you know, the disaster is so huge that many telecommunications lines are still down, it's still very difficult to get into the region to access some of these parts, so there are actual whole regions that we still know very, very little about.

Taken from here.

The thought just occurred to me. Thank heavens dengue fever season is over!

quidscribis
Member # 5124

If you want to read first-hand accounts, go here.
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I once read descriptions of what the various levels of earthquate mean. If I recall correctly, they said that 9 on the Richter scale is "the earth liquifies" meaning, essentially, that every grain of earth is movind independently of every other grain of earth in a sort of "sludge" kind of thing. No cohesion.

[Eek!]

I've lived through some moderate ones (in Los Angeles) at a good distance from the epicenter. And we didn't have to deal with tsunamis.

I'm still praying. Donating to relief agencies sounds like a good idea too.

Is there ANY news out of Bangladesh yet?

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

This report counts 2 dead in Bangladesh, but almost all reports indicate that Bangladesh is affected.

Keep in mind that it was only a few months ago that Bangladesh was 2/3 under water. Their communications infrastructure is not, shall we say, well developed. It could be a while before we get reliable reports from there.

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks. I just remember their terrible floods from years past and worried (as you referenced earlier) that they may lose large numbers of people in this event.

[Frown]

[ December 27, 2004, 08:25 AM: Message edited by: Bob_Scopatz ]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Laurie,

What you said above about the Tsunamis Warning System...... I heard on the news that same report about the need for the warning system -- they said the time from the actual earthquake, to when the tsunami hit Sri Lanka was like 2 hours! If there had been some way of warning people it was on its way, the death toll would have been much less.

I pray they will work on getting a warning system in place for that part of the world soon.

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
rivka, UMCOR hasn’t updated their website specific to this event, but they already had a project going for flood and earthquake relief in South Asia. I don’t know how you’d feel about donating through a church agency, but all of the administrative stuff is paid for by the church, so 100% of donations go to the actual relief and recovery work.

http://gbgm-umc.org/umcor/emergency/southasia.stm

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

In the evening news:

Dead bodies are lying on the ground because there is no one to pick them up - there are too many. And quite honestly, would you rather they take care of the injured or the dead first? There's no drinking water because the ocean saltwater got into the wells. Diarrhea and cholera will spread because many of these people don't have clean drinking water.

Negombo is a fishing village north of Colombo. Their boats are beached helter skelter or submerged at odd angles in six or ten feet of water. Their economy is destroyed until they can build or repair the boats.

One hospital was submerged by an eight food wave - there goes that.

Only 75% of areas have electricity restored. They're having difficulties with the other areas. Keep in mind that only 2/3 of the country had electricity prior to the tsunamis.

Land mines from the civil war were dislodged by the tidal waves, causing major problems for rescue efforts and recovering dead bodies.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Quid,
I thought about you immediately, and am glad you are OK.
I have not read through the entire thread, but I thought maybe you would be a good person to send a donation to, that would get directly and immediately to someone in need.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

There are practical problems with that. Let me explain.

1. Paypal doesn't work here, so that's out.
2. We have to pay $4 US for every single international cheque, money order, bank draft, or wire transfer that we deposit to our bank account.

Well, that's pretty much it. Having said that, if that's something you want to do, keep that in mind. Donations of, for example, $5 won't do a whole lot of good when we only get $1 out of it. If it's something that some of you want to do, it would be more cost effective to lump it all together and wire transfer one lump sum. If you want to do it, we certainly can, and I have no problem making sure the money is spent on whatever the immediate needs are. Probably either clothing or medical supplies or food. That seems to be the most pressing need.

In other news, as I watched the evening news, these are some of the images I saw: I see footage of rivers with dead bodies floating down it. Dead bodies lined up in hallways, some covered in ploastic, others not, all waiting for identification or burial. School buses, the big ones, littering the beach like tinker toys. Fishing boats scattered across the beach and in the water, some on their sides, some stuck in one end or the other, others stacked on top of each other. Many listing to one side or the other. People walking around with their dead children in their arms, others begging for help finding their family. Rubble everywhere. Can't tell if it belonged to a house, a hut, or an office building or store. Vehicles sitting at odd angles in feet of mud. People - lots of people- bringing food, clothing, and other household goods to collection depots. Mountains of donated goods waiting to be sorted and distributed.

Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I have just been overwhelmed by the magnitude of this tragedy - I mean, it's hard to even wrap your mind around that much devastation.

[Frown] It's like when you contemplate it, your brain shuts down and says "Nope - tragedy overload, that couldn't possibly have happened." But it did happen, and the survivors are trying to cope with the aftershocks, and the cleanup and the loss of loved ones....I just can't imagine.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Belle, I agree. I am so overwhelmed. And then I see the Yahoo headlines change. The main one started out being "Over 20,000 dead," and then it changed to "8 Americans dead." It really hit me.

Quidscribis, I am glad you said that. Where do you think a donation could be made that would go quickly and directly. Should I just go with Red Cross?

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trisha the Severe Hottie
Member # 6000

- posted      Profile for Trisha the Severe Hottie   Email Trisha the Severe Hottie         Edit/Delete Post 
(((quidscribis)))

For the LDS here, rather than tithing slip I think there is an LDS Foundation that gives to humanitarian aid.

Well, I don't really know what to say more than that. I guess I wonder how much of the death toll is the actual disaster, and how much due to the society there. I know the poor are shunted off into areas known to be unsafe just in annual weather patterns.

The actual death count... well, various things kill more people than that just in America every year. But to have it all happen at once is staggering. And the suffering of the wounded and bereaved, the homeless, and even the now jobless is troubling.

Posts: 666 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
TSH, I'm sure accidents and diseases and criminal violence kill a lot of people in the areas affected by the earthquake every year as well. And, to the families of people affected, each of those events is a personal tragedy.

What makes this worse, in my mind, is that all of those other people have still been/will still be affected by their personal tragedies, and this is on top of the "normal" causes of death for the year. And, happening all at once, it is likely that every person in the country is affected somehow, which makes it a national tragedy. Plus there's the effects of having huge numbers of dead bodies stacking up in tropical countries, saltwater contaminating the drinking water supplies, infrastructure being wrecked... so, yeah, it's a lot more than just the numbers.

On a "What is wrong with people" note, I was filling out forms at the post office, and the clerks were chatting. One of them brought up sending humanitarian aid, and the other said something along the lines of "Oh, I'm sure they wouldn't accept help from the infadels..." in a really snotty tone of voice.

Hearing that level of ignorance and bigotry really made me appreciate my community here at hatrack. We discussed in another thread once all the polls that show Americans not knowing basic geography or history, and I said I always wonder where they find those people, because I can't imagine they are anyone I know. It's probably good for me to be reminded every now and then that not everyone is hatrack-caliber informed/compassionate.

I almost butted in to the conversation and said something... I'm not sure if I didn't because I didn't think it would do any good or because I didn't want to deal with the scorn. Either way, I should have. [Frown]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trisha the Severe Hottie
Member # 6000

- posted      Profile for Trisha the Severe Hottie   Email Trisha the Severe Hottie         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't even know what is the predominant religion there. But I guess knowing what you don't know is better than thinking you know what you don't know. Or something.

[ December 27, 2004, 06:03 PM: Message edited by: Trisha the Severe Hottie ]

Posts: 666 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
quids posted not to long ago that Buddhism, I believe, is the majority, then Hindi, with Christianity and Islam both around 7%... but that's just for Sri Lanka. There were several countries involved... I'm not sure if any of them are predominantly Muslim, but even if they are, it's not an area that's usually openly hostile to the US. If it was a tragedy in the Middle East I could maybe understand people taking that stance, even though I still don't think it's the right one to take. But this just, to me, shows that they have no concept of the world outside of our country.

Probably not inside, either, but that's another field of disappointment.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trisha the Severe Hottie
Member # 6000

Yeah, it's not like it would have been an enlightened thing to say even if the afflicted country were Saudi Arabia, for instance.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Oh, dear me, it gets even sadder:

"The U.N. organization estimates at least one-third of the tens of thousands who died were children, and the proportion could be up to half, said UNICEF spokesman"

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20041227/ap_on_re_as/quake_where_are_the_children

Dead_Horse
Member # 3027

- posted      Profile for Dead_Horse   Email Dead_Horse         Edit/Delete Post 
Laurie, I am so glad to hear that you are safe and pray you stay that way in the aftermath of this disaster. Between the holiday and the ice storm we've had, we are just finding out about this. Thank you for your service to the people in Sri Lanka. I wish there was something more I could do for the people affected. My prayers are for the health, safety, welfare, comfort, and recovery of all.

Love, Rain

Posts: 1379 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

The dominant religion varies from country to country that this thing hit. Indonesia and Malaysia are mostly Muslim. Thailand's south has a high Muslim population, but there are many Buddhists there as well. Burma is predominantly Muslim. Bangladesh is mostly Muslim. India's mostly Hindu, no surprises there, and yeah, what you said about Sri Lanka sounds about right ElJay.
Bean Counter
Member # 6001

One of the most horrifying poems to ever cling to the cockles of my mind is the one that reads "Water, Water everywhere... But not a drop to drink!" It is a terrible thing that I did not think of, all the wells tainted by salt! I hope we can provide relief.

BC

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.