FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The way things should be (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: The way things should be
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I am so tired of people getting these things wrong. I will post them here so people can learn the correct way to do things.

The butter: it stays on the counter so it is soft

The toilet paper: it goes on the roller so the paper comes from UNDERNEATH

Cream in the coffee: After you heat the cup, you put the cream in, then the coffee.

Order of putting on clothes: Underwear, bra(if worn- or "bro"), socks, shirt, pants, shoes.

Edit: I am only pretend upset about these things...)

[ December 31, 2004, 01:50 PM: Message edited by: Elizabeth ]

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Um, sure. Okay. [Confused]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]

I see you didn't mention toothpaste....

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
Um, no, no, no and no.

[ December 31, 2004, 01:50 PM: Message edited by: Kama ]

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
How could you be so wrong about EVERYTHING?

Butter: In the refrigerator, so it can be hard for those who want it. Put it on hot bread, and it melts. Simple.

Toilet paper: Should come out the top. Those who let it come out of the bottom are probably heathen Red Sox fans.

Coffee: If you must drink the stuff, it goes sweetener, then coffee, then cream.

Clothes: Underwear, shirt, pants, socks, shoes.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I'm dying to know. What is the Right Path with regards to toothpaste?

Edit : See, Dag, I am aware of my ignorance on some points of doctrine, and seek to remedy it. So there.

[ December 31, 2004, 01:53 PM: Message edited by: King of Men ]

Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

toothpaste: Squeezed carefully from the bottom, with none left on the cap or the tip of the tube. Very important.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Beverly:
Turn water on. Wet the toothbrush. Water off. Toothpaste on. Wet toothbrush again with gentle stream of water. Tern water off. Brush.

(Duh.)

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Dagonee and Kama: the cold butter tears the crap out of bread, whether it is hot or cold.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

So it's your buttering technique that's faulty: you lack patience.

[ December 31, 2004, 01:58 PM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Patience? If I am patient, i have cold toast, Dag.

My husband is CONSTANTLY putting the butter in the fridge. It is a silent war we have waged on each other for almost twenty years, and HE was the born and bred Red Sox fan.

beverly
Member # 6246

I am entertained by this thread. [Smile] Just so you know.
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Red Sox fandom has no effect on butter behavior. Only toilet paper orientation.
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
The trick is to get very thin "slices" of butter on your knife so that no matter what the temperature is, it will spread nicely.
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

I like my butter so hard I can bite it.
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

IF I am forced to butter my toast with cold butter, the obvious strategy is to scrape it off the top of the stick.

I am appalled that I am getting so much disagreement here, Does no one do things correctly.

And, Dag. Shirt before socks? I dont even KNOW you.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
am appalled that I am getting so much disagreement here, Does no one do things correctly.
Well, not capitalization or punctuation, that’s for sure. [Big Grin]
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
You put actual butter on your bread? Ick. I like to get organic butter and mix it with an equal amount of veggie oil in the blender. Let it chill in the fridge and you have margerine without all the chemicals, hormones, and antibiotics.

Chet, of course, likes margerine in the tub. [Grumble] The things I put up with for him.

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Elizabeth, I hate to spoil something that's given you so much pleasure for all these years, but why not cut the stick of butter in half, and put half on the counter and half in the fridge? Wouldn't that work? That way everyone gets to have their own preference.

Oh, and peanut butter belongs in the fridge. It's just so much better that way.

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Ooo, the solution to Elizabeth's butter-woes!

And, peanut butter in the fridge? O_o

BTW, peanut butter spread on hot toast so it gets all melty is sohohohoho good.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Tatiana, he would put my half in the fridge, too. And peanut butter ShOULD go in the fridge, but tastes better warm.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Sigh.
Beverly, you have to put butter on first, then peanut butter when making peanut butter toast.

beverly
Member # 6246

Now, that's just rude. [Mad]
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
BTW, peanut butter spread on hot toast so it gets all melty is sohohohoho good.
I second that whole heartedly. The only reason I ever toast bagels is so that the peanut butter gets all melty. [Razz]
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

My Mom always insisted on putting peanut butter on both sides of the bread so the jam wouldn't get the bread mushy. She first did one side butter, but eeewuk! So she did the double-pb instead. I don't mind my bread a bit mushy with jam or honey. Mmmmmm.

Why butter with the peanut butter? Aside from being gross, why the extra work? What can you possibly get out of it?

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Toilet paper, when you bother to put it on the roll should have the flap on the bottom, facing the inside, not on the outside.
When it's on the outside small children can make toilet paper go all over the place which is NOT CUTE.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

OK, you have opened a whole other can o' worms.

The pre-buttering of peanut butter bread gives a salty, buttery, liquid base to the peanut butter, adding a deeper level of taste.

Peanut butter on a bagel? Egads!

And don't even get me started on how to make a pb and j sandwich!!

Peanut butter on one side, spread evenly. Jelly on the other side, spread evenly. Both pieces placed together.

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Open faced.
Pb and j sandwiches should be open faced with a thin layer of creamy or crunchy peanut butter. Jam is perferable, easier to spread.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

As for toilet paper, whoever will put the new roll on the spool can put it on however they like. And anyone who doesn't like how it is can reverse it. Whoever cares the most will therefore eventually wear the other one down. But telling someone else to do it your way isn't cool. [Razz]
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Oh, and when making ritz cracker and peanut butter sandwiches, the salty side goes out.
Kama
Member # 3022

quote:
Let it chill in the fridge and you have margerine
Margarine stays on your tongue. Bleah.
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
This is horrifying. I am aghast. Positively aghast.

Butter: One stick from the box goes in the cupboard so it stays warm and spreadable, with a cover on it for protection. The rest of the box goes in the freezer to keep it fresh.

Toilet paper: Goes overhand. People who do it underhanded are not to be trusted.

Coffee: Is not drunk by polite people. Polite people drink tea. Polite people also never put sweetener of any kind in their tea.

Clothing: Underwear, shirt, pants, socks, shoes. As to female underwear, I do not have the proper information to say whether it's the bra or the panties which go on first. But if I could get some women to demonstrate to me, with live visual aids, the benefits and drawbacks of each method, I would be happy to weigh them and make a final pronouncement.

Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ginette
Member # 852

- posted      Profile for ginette   Email ginette         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Turn water on. Wet the toothbrush. Water off. Toothpaste on. Wet toothbrush again with gentle stream of water. Tern water off. Brush.

PUT IT IN YOUR MOUTH!

Then brush!

(yek, I have an electric toothbrush)

Posts: 1247 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
Put milk in before cereal, or cereal in before milk?
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Cereal first! I can't believe that is even a question!
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
But but... If you put the milk in first, then it stays unsoggy for longer!
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Um Hm. And the cereal floats and spills over the lip of the bowl. You have to push it down, causing more spillage.
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

Pshaw. Where are your cereal handling skills?
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

quote:
But if I could get some women to demonstrate to me, with live visual aids, the benefits and drawbacks of each method, I would be happy to weigh them and make a final pronouncement.
[ROFL]
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
The butter: it stays on the counter so it is soft

Yes!!!

The toilet paper: it goes on the roller so the paper comes from UNDERNEATH

No,no OVER!!!

Cream in the coffee: After you heat the cup, you put the cream in, then the coffee.

STEAM the cream, and slowly pour into the coffee. Try to make a pattern, a la the current cover of National Geo.

Order of putting on clothes: Underwear, bra(if worn- or "bro"), socks, shirt, pants, shoes.

No, bra, shirt, undies, pants, socks.

Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Good lord, DPR.

I dress in the way that is best if someone burst in on me. I would be best protected this way. If worse came to worse, I would want to be in my undies, breasts flapping. Your way, bra followed by shirt, you are completly exposed underneath! The horror!

So...
Undies first to cover the "area."
Bra to cover the breasts. This way, again worst coming to worst, "the parts" are covered.

dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
[Dont Know]

I've had three kids, with everyone in my family present, plus video of the last one. Nothing down there anyone in my family hasn't seen.

Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

I notice many of Elizabeth's preferred ways to do things are because of inadequate food-handling skills. Maybe you could work on that? [Razz]
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]

I do agree with you on the clothes thing. Definitely cover the bottom first. [Big Grin]

Butter HAS to go on the counter.

I can't stand toilet paper coming from underneath. In the dark, you search for it and if it's still stuck to the roll, you're rolling the toilet paper in the WRONG DIRECTION in order to find where it begins. It's a lot easier if it's coming from up top. [Smile]

I always make toothpaste goals, but I never keep them. My toothpaste is always squeezed right in the middle. [Blushing]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

My toothpaste usually has a big hole in the middle where one of my kids has bitten it.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

DPR,
It is sort of a "What if" kind of thing. I am not really afraid anyone will come in, it is just sort of a natural cover-up tendency, I guess.

WheatPuppet
Member # 5142

- posted      Profile for WheatPuppet   Email WheatPuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Dressing--a basic guide for college males:
First:
Change the underwear on a 24-hour basis. 36 or even 48 may be okay in extreme circumstances (like sickness, lack of clean clothes, or lazy weekends).
Second:
Put on a shirt at least as clean as the underwear, for similar reasons above.
Third:
Put on pants. Clean pants are always preffered, but in aformentioned extreme circumstances most any pair will do. Make sure there aren't any food stains on the lap or salt stains on the cuffs--The objective is to maintain the appearance of being a civilized human being. Stains are a dead givaway of savagery.
Fourth:
Don any peripherals. Socks, shoes, sweatshirt, deoderant, glasses, etc...

I personally forego socks 9 times out of 10. If I could figure out how to grow more hair on my ankles to keep them warm, I'd never wear socks. Putting them on before pants... that's just silly!

EDIT: Coffee should be sugar-free. People who smother their coffee in sugar or other sweeteners secretly hate coffee and just want the caffine. Addicts.

[ December 31, 2004, 04:30 PM: Message edited by: WheatPuppet ]

Posts: 903 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

WP,
Your pants-before-socks philosophy is so wrong, as is everyone else's. The socks go on first, thereby setting the stage for an easy pants pull-up. When the pants go on first, you have to pull up the legs to ajust the socks. With the socks already on, the pants can be applied from either a standing or sitting position.

Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
o_0

Elizabeth...I don't think that the population of the rest of the world is WRONG while you are right on this matter. [Wink]

Have you stopped to consider that your very reasons for putting your panties on first - covering vital areas just in case someone bursts in on you - might be the very reason that all of us put our PANTS on BEFORE our socks? Hmmmmm?

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

There's no use trying to correct her aberrant dressing behavior when her toilet paper orientation is so wrong.

It's like worrying making sure the windows are closed when there's a hole in the side of your house.

Dagonee

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.