FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The way things should be (Page 4)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: The way things should be
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Chris,
The reason is simple. Everyone knows that tomato soup should be made with milk, and served with a sprinkling of cheddar cheese and crumbled Ritz crackers.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Tomato soup without a grilled cheese sandwich is an abomination before God.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
In our house it's the other way around. A grilled cheese demands a tomato product.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
Tomato soup is just wrong. Somewhere, sometime, someone forgot to actually put something in with the tomatos. To cover up their mistake, they called it soup and figured everyone would think they did it on purpose.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that it's wrong, if only because they made a soup out of a fruit, and not only that, it has milk in it.

But it's tasty.

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I just analyzed my own order as I got dressed this morning, and I realized that I do, in fact, put my socks on before my pants. I guess I'd never consciously thought about it, but I do it for the very good reason, mentioned by Elizabeth, that by putting my socks on first, I don't have to fight with my pant legs to pull the socks up. Especially when I'm wearing tight pants, which I haven't done since high school.

And to those who say that a guy with socks on and no pants is an offense, I have two answers. One, no more so than a naked guy, and regardless of when we put our pants on, every one of us is naked at some point in this procedure. Two, I live alone, so nobody has to deal with it. No one ever sees me until the entire procudure is complete, by which point it no longer matters.

quote:
Some bathrooms have the light switch outside the door (stupid design -- door has to be open for you to turn on light).
Hm. I was just going to say, "If it bothers people, then shut the door before you turn on the light. Simple." But if the switch is outside the door, that would complicate things. Now what I want to know is, what kind of idiot designs a house with the light switch outside the door of the room the light goes to?
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
Whoever wired our apartment. [Roll Eyes]

Yes, I'm serious. *sigh

I need to put a plug-in nightlight with a switch in there, but I keep forgetting.

[ January 03, 2005, 11:48 AM: Message edited by: Sara Sasse ]

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
There are 2 switches in the kitchen of our new house, and I have no idea what they turn off or on. Apparantly nothing.

In our old house farther north, which we lived in for over two years, there was a switch in the living room with no function we could ever discover. I think the builders put it there just to frustrate us.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Dagonee,

At last we agree on something here! A grilled cheese sandwich is necessary to have in hand when eating tomato soup.

Of course, you butter the bread before grilling the sandwich, right?

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Absolutely. Any other way is uncivilized.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

But Mister Hard Butter Keeper, how can you distribute the hard butter on the soft bread?
Traveler
Member # 3615

- posted      Profile for Traveler           Edit/Delete Post 
When making Grilled Cheese...I like to melt the butter and brush it onto the bread. That way it is nice and evenly applied...and you also don't get too much butter.
Posts: 512 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
But Mister Hard Butter Keeper, how can you distribute the hard butter on the soft bread?
Small, thin slices placed on the bread in carefully arranged sequence. Patience is a virtue.

quote:
and you also don't get too much butter.
No such thing.
WheatPuppet
Member # 5142

- posted      Profile for WheatPuppet   Email WheatPuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
The lightswitch was placed on the far side of the door for your own protection. Bathrooms are typically made of pale or semireflective surfaces and bathroom lights are typically more-direct than other rooms of the house. Vanity lights typically have no covers on them.

By placing the lightswitch on the outside of the door, you won't be tempted to turn it on and burn your eyes out. It's one of the most painful sensations a human can live through without permanent damage! Going from pure darkness of sleep to neon-beamed nuclear bathroom is excrutiating. I had a tile pattern cooked onto my retna one time when I made a late-night stop in the bathroom in my dorm suite.

It's even worse when sick, because the room is bright and painful, *and* it's reeling around.

I find that a nightlight placed somewhere in the bathroom is a perfect amount of light. Unfortunately, it's too little light to engage in my typical sit-down activity in the bathroom--reading the labels on the shampoo, mouthwash, or whatever else happens to be resting on the shelf near the toilet.

Posts: 903 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

I put my socks on with my underwear and bra, because I pull them out of the same drawer after a shower.
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Unfortunately, it's too little light to engage in my typical sit-down activity in the bathroom--reading the labels on the shampoo, mouthwash, or whatever else happens to be resting on the shelf near the toilet.
I hear ya. [Smile] Five minutes without the printed word is five minutes lost forever.

[ January 03, 2005, 02:24 PM: Message edited by: Sara Sasse ]

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Why do you think people do that? I know that sitting on the toilet for even a second without reading is torture. What makes reading the toothpaste tube five thousand times more interesting?

BTW, I do not read on the toilet if I have to use it at night because I don't want to wake myself up. If I do I'll be up for two more hours, thinking.

[ January 03, 2005, 02:29 PM: Message edited by: PSI Teleport ]

Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
What makes reading the toothpaste tube five thousand times more interesting?
Because the wordsmiths at the American Dental Assoication write riveting prose.
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Mmmm...pea-sized amount....
Dagonee
Member # 5818

I think you grabbed the hair gel instead of the toothpaste.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

You know, this conversation reminds me of another important thing. There would be no need for a light in the bathroom at all if men would simply remember to put the dadblasted seat down.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
So that we can pee on the seat in the dark?
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
There would be no need for a light in the bathroom at all if men would simply remember to put the dadblasted seat down.
Gravity is on your side in this one. We don't ask you to leave the seat up!
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Ha ha. On one of the Monk episodes, someone comes to his house, and goes in to use the bathroom. He is horrified and says, "Um, it isn't really a public restroom!"
Moenan
Member # 7171

- posted      Profile for Moenan   Email Moenan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Now what I want to know is, what kind of idiot designs a house with the light switch outside the door of the room the light goes to?
Much as it pained me to do so, I just had one of my tenant's bathroom light switch moved from inside the bathroom to just outside of it. Until I bought the place the light switch had been inside her freaking shower enclosure! Who thought that would be a good idea, I wonder?
Posts: 15 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
Any history of electrocutions in the shower in that place?
Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

You know, about the toilet paper touching the wall? It doesn't. We buy cheap toilet paper, and it stays connected to the roll until the appointed time.
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Toilet paper: Who cares where it's at? If you get the wrong brand, though, you're in deep doo-doo! [Wink]

(I started to use this [Razz] smiley, but decided that was just too gross.)

[Monkeys]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.