FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The way things should be (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: The way things should be
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And as to your sandal complaints, sandels are for people without a moral compass).

Like us hippies, eh? [Wink]
Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Sandals are for people in warmer climates who do not feel obligated to encase their feet into leather sweatboxes unless they are forced to by draconian workplace dress codes or by the freezing dead of winter, by which I mean the couple of weeks it gets below 50 degrees.
However, sandals are also for dressup. Casual wear demands flip-flops.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WheatPuppet
Member # 5142

- posted      Profile for WheatPuppet   Email WheatPuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
How about pants? Button then zip, or zip then button?

I'm partial to buttoning then zipping, but it does increase the chances of forgetting the second step, which is quite embarassing. [Embarrassed]

Posts: 903 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
It varies. Usually button then zip, if only because my gut often requires restraint before zipping is possible. Zip first only if I haven't donned my to-be-tucked-in shirt yet, usually because it's still in the dryer or some such.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
If the toilet paper spindle is any distance at all away from the toilet, you have to put it OVER. Otherwise, you're reaching extra distance for no reason. For a double roll, it could mean up to 4" less reaching you have to do saving both time and effort.

You'd think the people at Hatrack could manage to do things like this in the most efficient manner.

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Zip first, then button. Interestingly enough, this is also a gut-induced sequence.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Good heavens, Dag, wrong again. Button, then zip.

Verily, you are right about my friend's brother. He was not forced to wipe for pee. I didn't think that one through. He never complied with her demands, anyway. I just lumped them together because she had so many weird issues.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
oh my, oh my...I might get it for this.

Butter.....who cares? [Wink]

Toilet paper: OVER. I have no pets and have no kids (that I am aware of). Keep a spare roll on the tank.

Coffee: Pour hot coffee into cup. NO CREAM OR SUGAR. Lord help those who ruin their coffee by adding cream and sugar to it.

Clothes: (at home) Glasses, pants, shirt, socks, shoes if necessary. (on ship) White t-shirt, socks, coveralls, boots, hat/cover.

I never have to think about zipping before buttoning....no zipper, only buttons.

Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uhleeuh
Member # 6803

- posted      Profile for Uhleeuh   Email Uhleeuh         Edit/Delete Post 
And when you're dressing, at what point does the deodorant go on? Nobody likes deodorant stains on their shirts. [No No]
Posts: 378 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
I put deoderant on as soon as I exit the shower and dry off with a towel. [Big Grin]
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My goodness Eljay...I thought I'd invented that game.
Scythrop, you have a boyfriend? I had no idea...
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Hmm, that's two commandos...
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Desdemona
Member # 7100

- posted      Profile for Desdemona   Email Desdemona         Edit/Delete Post 
Butter: I use margerine.

TP: OVER!!! under always gets TURNED OVER!!

Coffee: yuck. HOT CHOCOLATE ALL THE WAY!!!

Clothes: (weekends) underwear, pants, bra, t-shirt, socks. Shoes if going outside. Coat too.

(school days) bra, blouse, tie, underwear, tights, boxers, kilt, sweater. This way, I don't have to tuck in the shirt- the kilt goes right over it.
Yes, I go to a private school.

[ January 01, 2005, 11:43 PM: Message edited by: Desdemona ]

Posts: 459 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WheatPuppet
Member # 5142

- posted      Profile for WheatPuppet   Email WheatPuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Lord help those who ruin their coffee by adding cream and sugar to it.
At least it's not skim milk. Skim milk is for drinking very hot tea in a hurry. [Smile]
Posts: 903 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Am I the only Hatracker who wears skirts? Yeesh.

Butter: I don't use enough of it to keep it anywhere but the fridge (when I even have any). The squeeze bottle of pseudo-butter works fine at fridge temperature, so it lives in the fridge.

TP: OVER!

Coffee: Plain coffee tastes like mud -- nasty mud.

At home in the morning: Take two cups milk, microwave until hot (about 2 minutes). Add to several teaspoons of flavored coffee powder in insulated mug, stir briskly. Add lid and straw -- grab and zip out of house, I'm probably already late.

Elsewhere, or if I'm out of the powder: Take one cup coffee (brewed, instant, whatever), add 2-3 teaspoons sugar, and LOTS of milk (skim if available) or creamer. If possible, add syrup.

As far as clothes, I like variety. I don't think the order is the same from day to day. Except for knee-high stockings and shoes -- those go on last.

[ January 01, 2005, 11:03 PM: Message edited by: rivka ]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

well.......

oops [Wink]

quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
sandels are for people without a moral compass)
Whatever you say. As for sandals, though, they're very practical for climates such as this one. People here don't wear regular shoes, except for the foreigners. Male, female, young, old, almost all wear sandals here. Even if they're on a motorbike, bicylce, or running a footrace. Unless they're barefoot, of course. [Big Grin]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh - and coffee - sacrilege!

I'm a herbal tea drinker. Hot water, steep, remove tea bag, add sugar. Honey if available, though.

The locals, however, do black tea. Not coffee.

Regular black tea, grown in Sri Lanka, which, of course, has the best tea in the world. It says so on all the boxes of tea at the grocery store. [Big Grin]

Fahim's version: Put tea bag in cup. Add boiling water. Let steep. Remove tea bag, making sure you squish out all possible tea goodness by wrapping around a fork and strangling with tea bag string. Add four heaping teaspoons of sugar. Stir. Let dissolved. Add enough milk to make tea sorta beige. Choke on sweetness. [Laugh]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
I pretty much agree with Hobbes, except he forgot to mention that one should put on one's stockings after one's skirt. It is equivalent to the socks after pants thing, though, so I won't quibble too much.

Oh, and herbal mint tea, allowed to cool.

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Oh, Sara, I am surprised that such an intelligent woman could be so very wrong about so many things. Well, we still have Mark Helprin in common, at least.
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
My world is perfect for me, and yours is perfect for you. Unless we share a hotel room, the difference should come to naught.

(Although I'd like to point out that in the hotel rooms, the toilet paper comes properly pre-inserted over, which is important because this orientation prevents cross-contamination of the wall behind the holder by unsanitized fingers. [Taunt] ) [Wink]

[ January 02, 2005, 11:46 AM: Message edited by: Sara Sasse ]

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

We should watch and see which way Monk does it. Ha ha.
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

[ROFL]
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I think we all have a bit o' the Monk.
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
In summer, one should wear skirts or dresses with nothing else underneath as often as possible. In winter, it goes like this:

Layer 1-bra and panties
Layer 2 - thick tights
Layer 3 - long underwear top and bottom
Layer 4 - socks, turtleneck, jeans or skirt
Layer 5 (if really cold out) - additional layer of socks, sweatpants, sweater or sweatshirt, boot(just the boots if not super cold); alternatively a suit jacket
Layer 6 - coat, hat, gloves, snowpants
Layer 7 - extra gloves, hood

Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

But Jenny, bra first, or undies first? You kind of lumped them together, and I wasn't sure if I should assume it was bra first.
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Toilet paper: Kids will unroll the paper no matter which way it's facing. Do you think they are put off by the fact that it is four whole inches farther away? Overhand is better because the part that's torn off is on the outside and can be easily found if there's no piece hanging. You don't have to feel around the back side of the roll. Also, it is hanging right out there in the open if you have to use the bathroom at night, and can't turn the light on because you don't want to wake someone. ALSO, am I the only one grossed out by the possibility of my paper rubbing against the wall before it touches my bum?

Coffee: Why would anyone put creamer first? What kind of sense does that make? You think it warms up the creamer more than if it's added later? The heat will be dispersed equally regardless of which order they are added. I put the creamer in later because I judge by the color before judging by taste if the amount is accurate. I wouldn't be surprised if many coffee drinkers do this. I doubt many people know exactly how much creamer they need, especially since the strength of the coffee will vary depending on where you're drinking it. The color/taste method is much better.

Edit: Sorry if this is repetitive. I didn't know it was a three-page topic until after I posted.

Also, did you know I take my bra off before taking my shirt off? I just noticed this about myself. Weird, huh?

[ January 02, 2005, 12:53 PM: Message edited by: PSI Teleport ]

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
Sheesh! you guys are complicated! What I really want to know is the order you take things off... [Evil]
Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
1. Shoes.
2. Hair tie.
3. Pants and socks in one fell swoop.
4. Bra
5. Shirt
6. Undies.

Unless hosiery is involved, but that's only for special occasions, and the order it comes off is often unpredictable.

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

PSI T
I know exactly how much cream to put in, and I do not waste water by using a spoon that will then need to be washed. As for the bra business, I am just shocked by people over and ver in this thread.

Jenny:
Shirt
Pants
Socks
Bra
Undies

Hmm. Interesting.

Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

My getting naked order varies, but it usually ends up with me running around in just socks (I hate having cold feet).
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

E: You wash the spoon? No wonder you're confused. As long as I'm in my own house, I lick the spoon.
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Why would anyone put creamer first? What kind of sense does that make? You think it warms up the creamer more than if it's added later? The heat will be dispersed equally regardless of which order they are added.
Very, very false. We had several problems in my physical chemistry class (thermodynamics) on precisely this very issue.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Thermodynamics problems like these.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

The link did not work!
rivka
Member # 4859

It's a pdf -- and not a small one. It should work if you a) have Adobe Reader, and b) give it a couple minutes.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Hmm. Giving a couple of minutes is probably the issue.
rivka
Member # 4859

Patience, grasshopper.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

No, turns out it has some sort of error.
rivka
Member # 4859

Weird. I'm not having any problem with it. [Dont Know]

*goes hunting for parallel link*

rivka
Member # 4859

Ok, this one is along the same lines.
rivka
Member # 4859

And here is a better one, with graphs and tables.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

"So, by adding cream/sugar at the beginning the mixture achieves a lower temperature immediately, which means a slower rate of transfering energy to the surrounding environment. Losing energy slower means the average temperature of the combined coffee/cream/sugar will be higher."

Ah ha!(not that I really get it)

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"In summer, one should wear skirts or dresses with nothing else underneath as often as possible."

To think I saw Jenny in a miniskirt just this summer and never even thought about peeking. I must be getting old.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Also, it is hanging right out there in the open if you have to use the bathroom at night, and can't turn the light on because you don't want to wake someone.
My only question is, why do you have people sleeping in your bathroom?

quote:
ALSO, am I the only one grossed out by the possibility of my paper rubbing against the wall before it touches my bum?
Meh. Better than the other way around.
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

quote:
My only question is, why do you have people sleeping in your bathroom?
Some bathrooms have the light switch outside the door (stupid design -- door has to be open for you to turn on light).

quote:
Meh. Better than the other way around.
My only question is ... [Big Grin]
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Your pants-before-socks philosophy is so wrong, as is everyone else's. The socks go on first, thereby setting the stage for an easy pants pull-up. When the pants go on first, you have to pull up the legs to ajust the socks. With the socks already on, the pants can be applied from either a standing or sitting position.
You're leaving out one crucial bit of information here: a man wearing socks but no pants is an offense against nature.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

Or very, very cute. [Big Grin]
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Saxon,
Then you are too young to remember Tom Cruise in "Risky Business." It was the pantless sock-wearing that launched a career!

Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

Why, oh why do you obsess on such meaningless details when there are so many vitally important things to discuss, such as how to bathe properly, what to wear (if anything) to bed, and how best to serve and enjoy tomato soup?
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.