FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Mrs Card is cool! Re: forum name (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Mrs Card is cool! Re: forum name
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Neato. [Smile]
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nato
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for Nato   Email Nato         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Are politics not part of our culture, Nato?
Yeah. I was just being snarky toward Ornery.

Three cheers for the Kama cabal!

Why exactly do you have a problem with this, Jay? Do you really see this as anti-Americanism? I bet you that very few people on this board are anti-American in any degree at all, unless being globally-sensitive counts as anti-American.

Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian_Berlin
Member # 6900

- posted      Profile for Brian_Berlin   Email Brian_Berlin         Edit/Delete Post 
>>>Should rename the board to “Liberal Mecca of OSC readers”

*snicker*

Not all of us, mate. [Smile]

Posts: 116 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Should rename the board to “Liberal Mecca of OSC readers”
How exactly is a cultural discussion not limited to one country a "liberal" thing?
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Kristine is great. [Cool]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
I just saw it as unnecessary.
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
In a large and nebulous sense, many things are unnecessary Jay, such as your existence (or mine).

However, as this forum clearly grapples closely with issues of non-American culture (see the thread on the science fiction convention in Europe, for instance), being arbitrarily exclusionary in the forum topic seems a trifle silly.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

- posted      Profile for Lady Jane   Email Lady Jane         Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome!!!

[Hail] Kristine and the mods

Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
It does seem silly to have the exclusionary "American" in the title, but I'm still a tad sad to see it gone now.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nato
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for Nato   Email Nato         Edit/Delete Post 
That "American" was here before I was. I remember this forum as the scary fast-moving one that I took a long time to get used to. I mostly hung out in the safer (for a 15-year-old) Discussions about OSC one.
Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
It's the end of an era. Life here will never look the same.

[/melodrama]

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
The original title did have a rhythm to it that the new one lacks [Smile] But I think my mom rocks.

Jay, you're being silly. If the forum title had never included the word "American" you wouldn't have missed it. And note that this change wasn't initiated by some anti-American liberal. It was initiated by a European who wanted it to be clear that Europeans are just as welcome as Americans. Not a huge request, and doesn't hurt the forum one bit.

Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

I do feel like someone should put this on the grand Hatrack calendar.
Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
I think we should just change it to "All the Jatraqueros arguing, making fun of each other, or just plain rambling"
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
Ramble on,
And now’s the time, the time is now
To sing my song.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe it should be Books, Films, Food, and Global Culture. With "American" in it, it had a nice cadence that we don't have to lose completely. [Smile]
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm.. .which would sound better -- "World" or "Global"?

Actually, they are both just implied by not specifying any one culture. I like it just fine as it is now.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IdemosthenesI
Member # 862

- posted      Profile for IdemosthenesI   Email IdemosthenesI         Edit/Delete Post 
I know this change really isn't all that important in the grand scheme of things, but that didn't keep a big goofy grin from making an appearance when I saw it.

And Jay! Be nice! Else we shall have to exchange fisticuffs! [Razz]

Posts: 894 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

Considering the amount of introspection we do, it should be "Hatrack culture."
Jay
Member # 5786

quote:
If the forum title had never included the word "American" you wouldn't have missed it
I agree. I just think that changing something that has been so established might cause others to wonder about the reason. Posters that only visit once in a while or something. People that just read and don’t post. And any chance of them being critical in a negative way might not be wanted.
Anyway, it’s done.
I’m just highly patriotic and always want to see more of America showed off, not less.

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
[Cry]

No offense, our global members, but it just doesn't feel the same.

The rhythm is off, the acronym just isn't nearly as cool.

I hate change.

But Kristine still rocks. [Smile]

Edit: And I was so upset, I couldn't speel.

My feelings have nothing to do with anything negative towards those not American or anything, it's just a resistance to change in general.

[ February 01, 2005, 12:50 PM: Message edited by: Belle ]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
[Wave]
[Kiss]
[Cool]
[Big Grin]

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
Jay, feel free to not look me up if you were to ever visit Poland for an inexplicable and mysterious reason.

[Smile]

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

I like the rhythm now. You have to give it a rising intonation, like a carnival barker, with hard stresses on each now, and brief pauses for the commas to act as unstressed syllables:

"We got Books, Films, Food, and Culture!"

Think of it as trochaic meter with two abbreviated initial trochees. [Big Grin]

[ February 01, 2005, 01:29 PM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
Super-cool ! Kristine, you are my hero.

[ February 01, 2005, 01:42 PM: Message edited by: Anna ]

Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked it better before your edit, Anna. [Wink]
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
*cheers the mods*

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome. [Big Grin]

And you know the best part? There is finally a Hatrack landmark that I was around for! [Wink]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] YAYYYY!!!! It feels so nice to be in such a community. [Smile]
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Hooray! [Big Grin] [Smile]

Yay for globalism! *feels included*

[ February 01, 2005, 04:54 PM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Geoff, your mom does indeed rock. [Smile]

Inclusive = good.

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
American culture is supposed to be multi cultural.
Given the context, that is one of the more ironic statements I have seen lately.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, very cool! Good going Mods and Kama [Smile]
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
urbanX
Member # 1450

- posted      Profile for urbanX   Email urbanX         Edit/Delete Post 
Am I the only one didn't even notice the change?
Posts: 421 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't until I saw this thread.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, BFFC works for me. [Smile]
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay! No more Americans!!!!!!! Yay!!!!

Oh, uh, well, what I meant was . . . Oh never mind!

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]

Awesome. [Smile]

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avadaru
Member # 3026

- posted      Profile for Avadaru   Email Avadaru         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh, I didn't notice the change either 'til I saw this thread. Nice job on inititiating the change, Kama! And thanks to the mod for recognizing it. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1225 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JaneX
Member # 2026

- posted      Profile for JaneX           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Belle on being sad that the "American" is gone...just because it's been here for longer than I have, and I liked the nice rhythm and the cool acronym it had before. [Frown]

But I do understand the rationale behind the change, and I completely agree with the sentiment. So...I'll get used to it.

And yes, Kristine still rocks. [Smile]

~Jane~

Posts: 2057 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Risuena
Member # 2924

- posted      Profile for Risuena   Email Risuena         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
In this day of so much anti-Americanism why should we participate?
I just want to point that perhaps there would not be quite so much anti-american sentiment if we, as Americans, did a better job of recognizing that we are not the only people in the world. And I think that removing American from the forum name is a way, albeit small, of recognizing that there's a larger world outside of the U.S.

Any yay! Mrs. Card - it can never be said enough that you are awesome.

Posts: 959 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! The things that happen while one is at work on the west coast . . . mercy!

[Smile]

Trochaic . . . *LOL*

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Kama, you sneaky girl you...

[Wink]

YAY culture!

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Jumps for joy!!! [Big Grin] We are now not considered American....stupid Americans.....I shouldn't say that though seeing as I am one......darn [Frown]
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lost Ashes
Member # 6745

- posted      Profile for Lost Ashes   Email Lost Ashes         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jay, feel free to not look me up if you were to ever visit Poland for an inexplicable and mysterious reason.

Wow, Jay, you've just been dissed by one of the prettiest gals on either side of the Atlantic...

Crushing and your loss for sure.

And I'm in favor of the forum title better reflecting the global gathering hosted by the very generous Cards.

Posts: 472 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Isn't "American Culture" a bit oxymoronic already?
*cough* Native American? *cough*
*keeps coughing*
*has to leave thread beet-faced*

Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

quote:
Gee Kama, that’s real nice. Well, if you or anyone is ever in WV feel free to look me up and stop by for dinner, a place to stay, or anything else you might need.
I did not intend to offend. I just didn’t want it to change. I wouldn’t expect some other nations web board to change their name if I started visiting it. My only point was that it was already established. I apologize for offending you.

Judas
Member # 7355

- posted      Profile for Judas   Email Judas         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah.. I'm totally with Jay.. Just like I was totally with the south during the Civil War.. I mean, African Americans were established as being the white man's property. It was Es-TaB-Liiishhe-D-hkfkjsdf!
- Why change it? I mean really?

Oh well.. As the world turns I guess we'll have to deal with people making all the aspects of life more welcoming to everyone.. Sigh..

--------

I know.. harsh. No worries Jay, no one will hold it against you. No more than they'll hold what I just said to you against me. -

No, the title change doesn't do much at all, but knowing that the Mods even cared to consider it, and that people were so willing to change something to better the overall unity of our community, it's just a good feeling to know that people care.

Judas

edit: I think it should be renamed to "OSC's Jeesh" - or the other side should be.. ::shrugs::

[ February 02, 2005, 10:26 PM: Message edited by: Judas ]

Posts: 132 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
narrativium
Member # 3230

- posted      Profile for narrativium           Edit/Delete Post 
I think it should be renamed, simply, "Stuff."
Posts: 1357 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
urbanX
Member # 1450

- posted      Profile for urbanX   Email urbanX         Edit/Delete Post 
How about we rename the forum Life, The Universe, and Everything.
Posts: 421 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.